follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum

Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum The place to start for the Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 | GT86

User Tag List

Old 05-13-2012, 07:41 PM   #1
Jay Grey

Drives: 2013 BRZ Limited DGM MT
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Decisions, decisions...

Ok... I have a 2006 BSP tC, which I purchased as my first car, worked hard to make payments on it & its paid off. I only threw rims on it so far & do have plans to do things here & there. Of course I been on this FR-S forum to keep up on my next vehicle I would like to get and keep it in the Scion family. My dilemma comes with the decision of trading or selling my tC to put as a nice down payment for the FR-S OR keep the tC as my daily driver & make $400+ payment on the FR-S? What would you do?
Old 05-13-2012, 07:52 PM   #2
mines13

Drives: '13 FR-S '12 CBR1000RR
Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to mines13 Send a message via Yahoo to mines13
cost:benefit, if you can quite easily afford it, and it won't effect your life have both. If it will be a struggle or change your standard of living make which ever compromise will make you the most happy.
mines13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 07:55 PM   #3
Dr.Science

Drives: Formerly: WRB BRZ LTD
Personally, I'd sell the tC private party and buy the FR-S/BRZ. To me, it doesn't make sense to have two small cars like that. If you had a truck/van for work, that would be another story.
Dr.Science is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 07:56 PM   #4
Rampage
Senior Member/Old Fanboi

Drives: 2000 2ZZ-GE MR2 Spyder HT
Thanked 2,014 Times in 915 Posts
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Grey View Post
Ok... I have a 2006 BSP tC, which I purchased as my first car, worked hard to make payments on it & its paid off. I only threw rims on it so far & do have plans to do things here & there. Of course I been on this FR-S forum to keep up on my next vehicle I would like to get and keep it in the Scion family. My dilemma comes with the decision of trading or selling my tC to put as a nice down payment for the FR-S OR keep the tC as my daily driver & make $400+ payment on the FR-S? What would you do?

The one thing I would not do is trade it in. Either keep it (if you can afford the full FR-S payment) or sell it outright and then use the money for a nice down payment on the new Scion to keep the payments down. The only one that make out on a trade in is the dealer.
Old 05-13-2012, 08:18 PM   #5
LostTHEbeat
First 86

Drives: 2004 Scion xB
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Grey View Post
my next vehicle I would like to get and keep it in the Scion family.
Buy an iQ!
LostTHEbeat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 10:33 PM   #6
Jay Grey

Garage
Thanks for ur input guys, I work for a dealership so I know the in & outs. I would like to keep both for two reasons, to keep the miles off the FR-S & live in NJ so the FWD tC would be good in the snow weather. One reason I would consider trading it in would be for the tax savings. Spoke to my boss to get an idea of what their doing on the market & trade in value would be around 4-5k. Selling it privately I can get 7500. I can afford the payment either way, but would like to keep the payments down. Being that its my first car, it has sentimental value & its been like my guardian angel in a weird way. There is no way I would buy an iQ, maybe for my girl... Lmfao!
Old 05-13-2012, 10:51 PM   #7
DeeezNuuuts83

Drives: 2006 Evo IX SE
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Get rid of the tC. No sense in having two cars, especially those two.
DeeezNuuuts83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 06:54 AM   #8
Prava
Insegrevious Member

Drives: Raven FRS 6MT
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Garage
The FRS will be way more fun than that tC, bro.

"Character is who you are when nobody is looking."
Club4AG | Micro Image | Solar Shade | FRS86

Prava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 07:26 AM   #9
TuxedoCartman
Banned

Drives: '13 86
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
One other thing to consider is what would having a second car do for your insurance. There have been times in the past where my TOTAL insurance bill was lower having two cars, than one of those same cars by itself. Has to do with which you declare as your primary vehicle.

If the TC is paid off, and would lower your insurance rates, then assuming taxes aren't too bad on it I'd keep it.
TuxedoCartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 08:02 AM   #10
carbonBLUE
Reverse Burnouts

Drives: 2013 Argento FRS
Thanked 1,257 Times in 592 Posts
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Science View Post
Personally, I'd sell the tC private party and buy the FR-S/BRZ. To me, it doesn't make sense to have two small cars like that. If you had a truck/van for work, that would be another story.
The FRS will be my second small car, Celica for work commute, FRS for when I get home and around town, dinner nights, fun

2000 Carbon Blue Toyota Celica GTS 152000 miles
(wont forget you)
2013 Argento Scion FR-S
2011 Infiniti G37x
carbonBLUE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 10:36 AM   #11
Turbowned

Drives: 2017 Subaru BRZ Perf Pack 6MT
Thanked 1,945 Times in 1,150 Posts
Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Garage
I can agree with you if you want to keep the mileage off the FR-S. I don't see any other reason to have two cars, though. The tC isn't going to be any better in the snow than the FR-S unless you're an unskilled driver, and it will certainly be way less fun! If you want to keep the FR-S out of crappy weather and keep the mileage down though, I say do it! I know I'll be driving mine year-round, putting 20k mi/yr on it

Current: 2005 Porsche 911 Carrera S 6MT
Previous: 2 BRZ's, 997 C2S, C5 RS6, C4 S6, B8 S4, GDB STi, S30 240Z, FC3S RX-7 TII, AW11/SW20 MR2, E30 318is/325i, etc.
Turbowned is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 01:50 PM   #12
DeeezNuuuts83

Drives: 2006 Evo IX SE
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TuxedoCartman View Post
One other thing to consider is what would having a second car do for your insurance. There have been times in the past where my TOTAL insurance bill was lower having two cars, than one of those same cars by itself. Has to do with which you declare as your primary vehicle.
That only ends up being the case if one car is truly a beater. My friend's insurance policy through me was cheaper to insure his 2004 BMW 330i convertible AND his 1997 Toyota Camry together than it was to insure the BMW by itself, so it made sense for him to just hold onto his old ass, craptastic Camry just to save money. But again, it's because the beater car (his Camry) had liability coverage only and was clearly a much older vehicle. If you're talking about two recent Scions (when one of them is a sporty car and the other one is sporty-ish), it's not likely that the multi-vehicle and excess vehicle discounts will make it cheaper for both than for one. But obviously check with your agent.
DeeezNuuuts83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 08:21 PM   #13
TuxedoCartman
Banned

Drives: '13 86
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeeezNuuuts83 View Post
That only ends up being the case if one car is truly a beater. My friend's insurance policy through me was cheaper to insure his 2004 BMW 330i convertible AND his 1997 Toyota Camry together than it was to insure the BMW by itself, so it made sense for him to just hold onto his old ass, craptastic Camry just to save money. But again, it's because the beater car (his Camry) had liability coverage only and was clearly a much older vehicle. If you're talking about two recent Scions (when one of them is a sporty car and the other one is sporty-ish), it's not likely that the multi-vehicle and excess vehicle discounts will make it cheaper for both than for one. But obviously check with your agent.
Ah, but if there's one rule I've learned to live by regarding car insurance, it's this: NOTHING MAKES ANY SENSE!!!
TuxedoCartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 08:52 PM   #14
Jay Grey

Garage
So I went to the Toyota dealer to get my oil change done... By the way I get free life time oil changes. After I went to the sales department & asked about the FR-S, these sales people had no idea bout accessories or anything at all. He showed me the scion.com website, really dude did that nultiple times. At the end of our conversation I could have ordered an FR-S though! Lol! But just a standard wih no options. I want my options...