follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing

Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing Relating to suspension, chassis, and brakes. Sponsored by 949 Racing.

User Tag List

Old 04-17-2017, 03:20 AM   #1
Smiley

Drives: Raven Black 2015 FR-S
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Megan Racing EZ Street Series Coilovers

Guys! I installed my brand new coilovers onto my 2015 Scion FR-S, but I am having an issue. I got my wheels aligned and balanced without a problem. But now when I drive at about 22 mph to 33 mph, my wheels begin to shake (I almost want to say wobble). When that happens, my car begins to bounce up and down as if I am going over a million smooth wavy bumps. Can anyone tell me why this could happen? Also, my back coils, every time I hit a minor bump, I hear a slap from inside the vehicle. I cant hear it from the outside though. I feel like I almost have no springs on my coils. I am a beginner at this. I love my car and just want a clean ride. Can anyone help me? Before I take it to a suspension shop and they make me pay them for something that does not need to be fixed.

Last edited by Smiley; 01-25-2018 at 02:19 PM.
Smiley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2017, 04:43 AM   #2
Kodename47

Drives: UK GT86
Thanked 1,629 Times in 1,112 Posts
Mentioned: 155 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
The noise from the rear might be because they are just poor quality, worth making sure everything is tightened to spec though. As for the wheel wobble, again make sure everything is tight but it could be off balanced wheels.

Kodename 47 DJ:
Soundcloud / Instagram / Facebook
Kodename47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2017, 08:54 AM   #3
dattran86
Driver

Drives: 2013 Whiteout FRS
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
- Check the top nut inside the trunk make sure its tight
- Check everything in the rear coilovers making sure its tight
- Your Dampers setting might be too stiff, Soften them half way or so (too stiff = bumpy ride on bad road)
- Get a torque wrench to tighten all your wheel down to spec
- Get Hub Rings for your aftermarket wheel if U have Aftermarket.

Modifying car is a headache, Shoulda keep it stock OP
dattran86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2017, 10:59 AM   #4
TylerLieberman

Drives: '24 GR86
Thanked 3,340 Times in 1,575 Posts
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
As stated above:

-Double check everything in suspension and make sure its tights
-Make sure lugs are torqued properly

The wheel shake is likely from improperly balanced wheels. You'll most likely have to take the wheels back to the tire shop to have the re-balanced. The popping in the rear is most likely from the top nut backing itself off. Torque it down and keep an eye on it.

No surprise there, given they're Megan
TylerLieberman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TylerLieberman For This Useful Post:
Shark_Bait88 (04-17-2017)
Old 04-17-2017, 12:26 PM   #5
Chronology

Drives: 13' Satin White Pearl BRZ
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smiley View Post
Guys! I installed my brand new coilovers onto my 2015 Scion FR-S, but I am having an issue. I got my wheels aligned and balanced without a problem. But now when I drive at about 22 mph to 33 mph, my wheels begin to shake (I almost want to say wobble). When that happens, my car begins to bounce up and down as if I am going over a million smooth wavy bumps. Can anyone tell me why this could happen? Also, my back coils, every time I hit a minor bump, I hear a slap from inside the vehicle. I cant hear it from the outside though. I feel like I almost have no springs on my coils. I am a beginner at this. I love my car and just want a clean ride. Can anyone help me? Before I take it to a suspension shop and they make me pay them for something that does not need to be fixed.
I had a similar issue (bounce) with my RS*R's. My mistake was running track settings on a normal road. Adjust your settings from stiff --> soft, start at the middle and work your way to stiff or to soft.

If you are hearing noise (metal to metal) it could be the indication of the product, it's common for coils in that "range" to make noise.
RS*R Sport-I w/custom spring rate / Cusco Front/Rear Sways, Cusco Diff Brace / Cusco Power Brace (Rear/Front/Upper/Lower) / JDL UEL Headers / INVIDIA Q300 Ti / Valenti Revo Tails and rear backup/ EcuTek / Moto-East Flexfuel / Moto-East E85 tune
Chronology is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
frs scion gt86 brz