follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Marketplace > Members Classifieds > Audio/Visual, Electronics, Infotainment, NAV

User Tag List

Closed Thread

Old 08-22-2012, 03:30 PM   #1
phenryiv1
Banned

Drives: 2011 WRX
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
FS: 3/4" PVC Speaker Spacers/Adapters for the BRZ/FR-S

Visit Subaru Audio for a link to how-to instructions, gallery, information, etc.

http://www.subaruaudio.net/subaru-sp...ers / Adapters

2013+ Subaru BRZ and Scion FR-S Installation Instructions

I am now making and selling 3/4" PVC spacers for the front doors of the BRZ and FR-S.

Introductory pricing for members of Subaru-oriented forums:
Two front door spacers are $30 shipped in the ConUS. I DO ship internationally, but please email, PM me, or post for pricing outside of the ConUS.

Email is my best form of contact:

patrickhenry at gmail dot com

A few years ago, I made a set of prototype spacers for the front and rear doors of the Legacy, then made a set to use in my car. I had intended to make more sets, but there was not a lot of demand. Over time, I got more and more PMs from members wanting a set for the front or rear of their car, so I made more sets.

After seeing that a lot of Subaru owners wanted a custom-made mounting solution for aftermarket speakers, I made a How-To website and began to sell my adapters to those who wanted something better than the off-the-shelf ABS plastic options.

Each set is made from 3/4" PVC material and is is custom cut to fit your specific speakers. If you don't know what speakers you want, I have a "generic" curout that fits about 95% of 6.5" (NOT 6.75"!!!) speakers that are from "regular" manufacturers. Any niche brands are likely to require a custom cutout.

If anyone wants a special cutout for a 5.25" speaker for some reason, I can do those as well.

Dash:

I have also developed an adapter plate to replace the OEM 3.5" speaker in the dash with a flat peice that could be drilled out for a tweeter. My thought is that using the 3.5" location for the tweeter would allow just about any tweeter to be mounted there rather than shoehorning an aftermarket tweeter in the OEM tweeter location, which is limited to 1" tweeters.

The dash adapters will be an additional $7, or $10 if purchased alone.

Why do I need spacers or adapters in the first place?

Stock speakers have an odd shape. The speakers are contoured to fit the door, and the mounting holes are 3 holes in a roughly triangular shape where the screws go into a nylon insert (as opposed to the inner door skin). This helps prevent the screws from backing out too easily. This is a good thing, so you should try to re-use the stock mounting points. This means that you need some sort of an adapter, because aftermarket speakers typically use 4 mounting holes that are on a different mounting pattern than the stock circle.

In addition to an adapter for the mounting holes, most aftermarket speakers are more robust than the stockers. This means bigger baskets, bigger magnets, and an overall deeper profile. Sometimes, the basket diameter is much larger than the stock ones. You need an adapter that has a larger cutout diameter.

You will also need something that will allow your window to clear the larger magnet assembly on the back of aftermarket speakers. For this, you need a spacer.

If you look at a stock speaker (or a picture of one), you can see that it usually has a built-in spacer. If you subtract that extra depth and just screw a replacement to the door skin, you lose a lot of mounting depth.
So why PVC and not just MDF?

It does not split, swell, rot, mold, or fall apart like MDF. I have been using it in spacers for my cars for more than 5 years and have never had a set fail, an dI have made them for other people for almost as long with no failures to date.

Why these and not universal plastic spacers?

First off, these are custom cut to fit your speakers. I bought the universal ABS model and it has a very small cutout- smaller than 90% of the cutouts in the spacers that I make. If the the mounting opening is too small, the adapters won't work for your speakers. Additionally, the material used in the universal adapters (ABS plastic) is NOT what is recommended in the audio industry. Issues like these are how I first started making my own spacers.

Cliff's Notes:

3/4" PVC spacers for the front doors of the BRZ and FR-S: $30 shipped in the US. Dash tweeter mounting plates available by request.

Email is my best form of contact:

patrickhenry at gmail dot com

Thanks for looking!
The Following User Says Thank You to phenryiv1 For This Useful Post:
whataboutbob (09-07-2012)
Old 08-22-2012, 05:03 PM   #2
Guff
Now w/ over 400 womprats!

Drives: BRZ LZR
Thanked 3,420 Times in 1,424 Posts
Mentioned: 301 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Garage
If you wish to sell commercially on FT86Club, you must become a registered vendor.

Please contact @Hachiroku for more information as to how to do that. This thread will be closed until then.

Closed Thread