follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Forced Induction

Forced Induction Turbo, Supercharger, Methanol, Nitrous

User Tag List

Old 12-03-2017, 11:54 PM   #15
Wes

Drives: JRSC'd Asphalt FR-S
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
I'm having similar issues, but its moreso when I'm on higher ethanol content, cruising on low rpms. Weird part is that the issue comes and goes but doesn't happen on 91.. its got a mind of its own
Old 12-05-2017, 06:16 PM   #16
Kodename47

Drives: UK GT86
Thanked 1,629 Times in 1,112 Posts
Mentioned: 155 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amputechture View Post
Perhaps I'm misreading your post...but you are supercharged on the stock map sensor? The standard JRSC pulley makes more boost than the OEM sensor's range.
That's not an issue. You don't need a larger range sensor than OEM, it just caps the pressure reading.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wes View Post
I'm having similar issues, but its moreso when I'm on higher ethanol content, cruising on low rpms. Weird part is that the issue comes and goes but doesn't happen on 91.. its got a mind of its own
Can you log the car? Where is the FF connected to (Rear O2 or CPC)? If the O2 sensor port I'd check the AF#3 correction values in the log.

Kodename 47 DJ:
Soundcloud / Instagram / Facebook
Kodename47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2017, 08:16 PM   #17
Amputechture

Drives: 2014 BRZ
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodename47 View Post
That's not an issue. You don't need a larger range sensor than OEM, it just caps the pressure reading.

Can you log the car? Where is the FF connected to (Rear O2 or CPC)? If the O2 sensor port I'd check the AF#3 correction values in the log.
Huh? How would the ECU not being able to determine the correct manifold pressure not be an issue?

I suppose on a supercharged car where boost should always (assuming everything is working fine from a mechanical perspective) be the same amount it would be less of an issue...but I would still be weary.
Old 12-05-2017, 09:30 PM   #18
Dru670

Drives: 2016 Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
I have the PTuning FF kit.
Dru670 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2017, 03:45 PM   #19
Kodename47

Drives: UK GT86
Thanked 1,629 Times in 1,112 Posts
Mentioned: 155 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amputechture View Post
Huh? How would the ECU not being able to determine the correct manifold pressure not be an issue?

I suppose on a supercharged car where boost should always (assuming everything is working fine from a mechanical perspective) be the same amount it would be less of an issue...but I would still be weary.
Every single Sprintex SC car runs the OEM sensor as having a correctly reading MAP sensor causes fueling issues, I have one which I tune. All it means is that I don't get over 1.36 Bar on the OBD reading, as the fueling is done primarily via MAF then it runs consistently and I don't really need to know the manifold pressure. I expect it's the same pressure as when I had it dyno'd years ago Unless you max out the MAF and need to run SD then it's a complete non-issue. I also suspect that running a lower range MAP sensor would cure the odd fueling that affects the Cosworth SC kits too when in boost.

Kodename 47 DJ:
Soundcloud / Instagram / Facebook
Kodename47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2017, 03:55 PM   #20
Amputechture

Drives: 2014 BRZ
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodename47 View Post
Every single Sprintex SC car runs the OEM sensor as having a correctly reading MAP sensor causes fueling issues, I have one which I tune. All it means is that I don't get over 1.36 Bar on the OBD reading, as the fueling is done primarily via MAF then it runs consistently and I don't really need to know the manifold pressure. I expect it's the same pressure as when I had it dyno'd years ago Unless you max out the MAF and need to run SD then it's a complete non-issue. I also suspect that running a lower range MAP sensor would cure the odd fueling that affects the Cosworth SC kits too when in boost.

That makes sense. I'm from the turbo world, I've maxed out every MAF I've ever had and had to run hybrid MAF/MAP setups.
Old 12-24-2017, 03:11 PM   #21
Cal3000

Drives: Panda FR-S
Update:
Changing the spark plugs alleviated some of the issue. The plug gap was worn out. It would hesitate at anything above 50% throttle. Now I'm having the issue at the higher RPM range, always at 6.5k rpm, the car hesitates and wont go. I've cleaned the MAF sensor which I haven't cleaned ever (lol) and got the same results. I have a vid below.

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=482kHy7oUJo"]Boost issue 1 - YouTube[/ame]

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sQJkR8Cv5T0"]Boost issue 2 - YouTube[/ame]

The 2nd vid hesitates at 6k which it doesn't do often. My tuner said it wasn't the MAP sensor. I haven't swapped to test as yet though.

So the list of possible issues:
MAP sensor
O2 Sensor
Vac Leak?
Coil Packs?
What other possibility?
Other note is my engine has 150k miles on it. The issue did start until 145k miles.
Delicious Tuning
Cal3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2017, 03:35 PM   #22
guybo
Huge E85 fan!

Drives: 2016 Scion FRS
Thanked 1,010 Times in 605 Posts
Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Does your tune include FFS? I have an OFT (NA) but I set FFS RPM too low and I got weird high RPM shifting issues. Just a thought.
guybo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2017, 04:52 PM   #23
Irace86.2.0

Drives: Q5 + BRZ + M796
Thanked 5,802 Times in 3,297 Posts
Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cal3000 View Post
Update:
Changing the spark plugs alleviated some of the issue. The plug gap was worn out. It would hesitate at anything above 50% throttle. Now I'm having the issue at the higher RPM range, always at 6.5k rpm, the car hesitates and wont go. I've cleaned the MAF sensor which I haven't cleaned ever (lol) and got the same results. I have a vid below.

The 2nd vid hesitates at 6k which it doesn't do often. My tuner said it wasn't the MAP sensor. I haven't swapped to test as yet though.

So the list of possible issues:
MAP sensor
O2 Sensor
Vac Leak?
Coil Packs?
What other possibility?
Other note is my engine has 150k miles on it. The issue did start until 145k miles.
Fuel filter/pump? I mentioned this before. No one commented unless I missed it.

Edit: My dad’s GMC 2500 cut out power and went to limp mode. I sounded like the turbo was bypassed. The truck would not go faster than 45mph or rev as high. He changed a clogged filter, and it immediately fixed the issue.

I think you have to ask yourself what could have changed? Bad fuel, low fuel pressure, bad afr, bad spark or bad compression. Bad afr could be a header leak, a clogged cat, a boost leak, a bad o2 sensor or something but I can’t imagine you would see any of these problems with no CEL.
Irace86.2.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2018, 10:38 PM   #24
Cal3000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irace86.2.0 View Post
Fuel filter/pump? I mentioned this before. No one commented unless I missed it.

Edit: My dad’s GMC 2500 cut out power and went to limp mode. I sounded like the turbo was bypassed. The truck would not go faster than 45mph or rev as high. He changed a clogged filter, and it immediately fixed the issue.

I think you have to ask yourself what could have changed? Bad fuel, low fuel pressure, bad afr, bad spark or bad compression. Bad afr could be a header leak, a clogged cat, a boost leak, a bad o2 sensor or something but I can’t imagine you would see any of these problems with no CEL.
I noticed that the Atmosphere pressure is reading low which could be a contributing cause, but there is no CEL. I started another thread regarding the location of it.
I'm not sure if I have a clogged filter. The car runs a lot worse on pump gas than E85 which tells me it's probably a fuel compensation issue. :/
Delicious Tuning
Old 03-02-2018, 11:02 PM   #25
Cal3000

Update. It was just cylinder 1 coil pack that went bad. Nothing major. Car is running fine again. Thanks for all the help all.
Delicious Tuning
The Following User Says Thank You to Cal3000 For This Useful Post:
rb6freak (03-12-2018)