follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB

Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB Problems, issues, recalls, TSBs

User Tag List

Old 06-30-2015, 06:32 PM   #1
DliciousFish

Drives: 2014 BRZ Limited MT
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Subaru technicians on camera, wow

UPDATE: In accordance with some legal advice, I'm taking the link to the video away for now.

I brought my '14 BRZ Limited to the shop for the first time to see about the only two issues I have on my vehicle. Idle stability with A/C on and of course, the crickets. Neither of which cause me any concern Technicians then take my car out to lunch trying to replicate the issues I was having.

I know the video is a bit long. I wanted to jump-cut the video while editing but the passenger technician doesn't really stop talking for more than 10 seconds. So, uncut and full-length it is. Both of the technicians are aware they're being recorded. The recording device announces when recording has started, usually 15 seconds after ignition.

The driver seems to be the responsible one and does everything right. I have no issues with him. He drove safe, legally, and tried to replicate the issues I was having with my vehicle. He actually saw my RPM fluctuation issue but was dissuaded to pursue it by the passenger.

The passenger is a giant nozzle. I don't know if he was working on my car but I hope not. He's full of negativity and bitter as hell. I hope he finds this video and realizes how much unneeded trash he talks. That said, everyone is entitled to their own opinions and I couldn't care less what he thinks of our cars and us as owners.

If this was your car, how would you feel? I'm not as surprised as I thought I'd be.

//VIDEO LINK REMOVED//

Last edited by DliciousFish; 07-01-2015 at 06:15 PM. Reason: legal uncertainty
DliciousFish is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to DliciousFish For This Useful Post:
congiiee (07-01-2015), sprintertrueno86 (07-01-2015), Tcoat (06-30-2015)
Old 06-30-2015, 07:18 PM   #2
mav1178

Drives: 2005 Toyota Camry
Thanked 6,092 Times in 3,029 Posts
Mentioned: 95 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Before you get angry about this, you should make sure you are not in violation of Virginia privacy laws.

-alex
mav1178 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to mav1178 For This Useful Post:
DliciousFish (06-30-2015)
Old 06-30-2015, 07:34 PM   #3
kodyo

Drives: Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mav1178 View Post
Before you get angry about this, you should make sure you are not in violation of Virginia privacy laws.

-alex
http://www.dmlp.org/legal-guide/virginia-recording-law

"Virginia's wiretapping law is a "one-party consent" law. Virginia makes it a crime to intercept or record any "wire, oral, or electronic communication" unless one party to the conversation consents. Virginia Code § 19.2-62. Therefore, if you operate in Virginia, you may record a conversation or phone call if you are a party to the conversation or you get permission from one party to the conversation in advance."

Not sure if that's a good source, but seems just as well. Not sure how well this applies to this as it's technically inside his car, which is his private property.
kodyo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to kodyo For This Useful Post:
Old 06-30-2015, 07:52 PM   #4
mav1178

Drives: 2005 Toyota Camry
Thanked 6,092 Times in 3,029 Posts
Mentioned: 95 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kodyo View Post
http://www.dmlp.org/legal-guide/virginia-recording-law

"Virginia's wiretapping law is a "one-party consent" law. Virginia makes it a crime to intercept or record any "wire, oral, or electronic communication" unless one party to the conversation consents. Virginia Code § 19.2-62. Therefore, if you operate in Virginia, you may record a conversation or phone call if you are a party to the conversation or you get permission from one party to the conversation in advance."

Not sure if that's a good source, but seems just as well. Not sure how well this applies to this as it's technically inside his car, which is his private property.
And that's my point. This can be evidence of a crime, and as much as we want to antagonize bad mechanics, this is not the proper way to go about changing their behavior.

If anything, it just reinforces their beliefs of us as car enthusiasts.

-alex
mav1178 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to mav1178 For This Useful Post:
DliciousFish (06-30-2015), kodyo (06-30-2015), Tcoat (06-30-2015)
Old 06-30-2015, 08:29 PM   #5
soulreapersteve
Contract? /人◕ ‿‿ ◕人\

Drives: An orange cone with flappy paddles
Thanked 5,170 Times in 2,703 Posts
Mentioned: 126 Post(s)
Tagged: 5 Thread(s)
Not a knock against the OP but honestly, I would not care if he (or anyone else) throw stereotypical Asian insults at me. Ex: Asians can't drive, etc.

As long as they don't trash my car around, they can call me a huge whiner/complainer for bringing in the car for the most minute of issues.
The Twins make me smile
soulreapersteve is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to soulreapersteve For This Useful Post:
DliciousFish (06-30-2015), kodyo (06-30-2015), TheVoiceOfReason (07-01-2015)
Old 06-30-2015, 08:42 PM   #6
Wes

Drives: JRSC'd Asphalt FR-S
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
I'm not sure if those are even issues to take your car in for... idle fluctuates a little when you turn on the ac anyway, because its drawing power. Crickets.. well that's also not a problem, its just the sound of the injectors.

As far as the technicians are, I wouldn't take my car to the dealer if I can help it only because I'm sure I know more of the car than they do lol. But I'd say its okay to take your car out as long as its not to joy ride but to trying assess your problems.
Wes is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Wes For This Useful Post:
Clipdat (07-01-2015), DliciousFish (06-30-2015), hmong337 (07-01-2015), strat61caster (06-30-2015), Teseo (07-01-2015)
Old 06-30-2015, 08:52 PM   #7
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,283 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2494 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
I honestly don't know if I would post something like that if it happened to me. Only watched a couple of minutes since at cottage and don't want to use too much data but from what I did watch I may be pissed enough to post. I do know I would have that video up in front of the highest level manager at the dealership in a big hurry. Not For revenge or to be vindictive but because I would be walking out of there with some form of compensation for such treatment even if indirect.

Last edited by Tcoat; 06-30-2015 at 09:41 PM.
Tcoat is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Tcoat For This Useful Post:
Old 06-30-2015, 09:13 PM   #8
menikmati

Drives: 2015 BRZ, 2005 STI
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by soulreapersteve View Post
... I would not care if he (or anyone else) throw stereotypical Asian insults at me. Ex: Asians can't drive, etc.

As long as they don't trash my car around, they can call me a huge whiner/complainer for bringing in the car for the most minute of issues.
Even I make jokes about this, and I'm Asian myself.
menikmati is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to menikmati For This Useful Post:
soulreapersteve (06-30-2015)
Old 06-30-2015, 09:37 PM   #9
F3RGY68

Drives: FR-S 10 Series MT, Honda 919
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
I'd bring it up to the service manager; if you as an employee don't have respect for the vehicles you work on or the owners, you should find another job. I say this knowing what it's like to be a technician in a position where you can't replicate an issue, and you may consider it minor or non-existent. The driver in the car was respectful, and repeatedly attempted to replicate the issue. Passenger made several comments jokingly about wasting company and customer time and money. Having video of both clearly shows a good and bad example.
F3RGY68 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to F3RGY68 For This Useful Post:
DliciousFish (06-30-2015), Tcoat (06-30-2015)
Old 06-30-2015, 09:55 PM   #10
DliciousFish

Garage
Totally not angry about what he said in my car. I completely understand your views guys. From my perspective, the technician driving the car did what he was supposed to do and he treated the car well. When they found nothing wrong, they didn't charge me a dime and I just said, "oh well". I expected that outcome.
@Wes @soulreapersteve You're right. The issues I brought my car in for were of very little concern. I just wanted them looked at, just once.

What's not in the video is an uneventful battery/charging system test and diagnostic test.

So far, I like what @Tcoat said and I'll probably just bring it up to their management. Even further I'd probably take it down upon their request. I'm not looking to have the technician reprimanded or even worse, losing his job. The last thing I want to do is be responsible for something like that.

I also don't want to make us enthusiasts look bad. It doesn't benefit anyone to get on the bad side of the mechanics that fix our cars.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DliciousFish For This Useful Post:
soulreapersteve (06-30-2015), Tcoat (06-30-2015)
Old 06-30-2015, 10:28 PM   #11
soulreapersteve
Contract? /人◕ ‿‿ ◕人\

Drives: An orange cone with flappy paddles
Thanked 5,170 Times in 2,703 Posts
Mentioned: 126 Post(s)
Tagged: 5 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DliciousFish View Post
Totally not angry about what he said in my car. I completely understand your views guys. From my perspective, the technician driving the car did what he was supposed to do and he treated the car well. When they found nothing wrong, they didn't charge me a dime and I just said, "oh well". I expected that outcome.
@Wes @soulreapersteve You're right. The issues I brought my car in for were of very little concern. I just wanted them looked at, just once.

What's not in the video is an uneventful battery/charging system test and diagnostic test.

So far, I like what @Tcoat said and I'll probably just bring it up to their management. Even further I'd probably take it down upon their request. I'm not looking to have the technician reprimanded or even worse, losing his job. The last thing I want to do is be responsible for something like that.

I also don't want to make us enthusiasts look bad. It doesn't benefit anyone to get on the bad side of the mechanics that fix our cars.

If I didn't know about the crickets, I would've brought it in myself. :P

I couldn't tell from the driver's expressions and all that jazz, but how can one work with someone that negative? I've had a few negative Nancy's in the past and could not stand them.

Anyways, I do want to know what management's reaction is when you show them the video. If they simply blow you off, then that's an issue right there.
The Twins make me smile
soulreapersteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2015, 10:40 PM   #12
WazzuGrad

Drives: 13 FRS (sold) 23 GR86
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DliciousFish View Post
I brought my '14 BRZ Limited to the shop for the first time to see about the only two issues I have on my vehicle. Idle stability with A/C on and of course, the crickets. Neither of which cause me any concern Technicians then take my car out to lunch trying to replicate the issues I was having.
Did they end up changing your HPFP?
WazzuGrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2015, 10:55 PM   #13
DliciousFish

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by WazzuGrad View Post
Did they end up changing your HPFP?
Nope. No action was taken on either issue. From reading the issue thread on the HPFP and if I were in their shoes, I wouldn't change it either. I knew the sound was non-detrimental to the car and that replacing it would yield an extremely small percentage of success.
Old 06-30-2015, 11:10 PM   #14
strat61caster
-

Drives: '13 FRS - STX
Thanked 9,470 Times in 4,993 Posts
Mentioned: 94 Post(s)
I've spent 25 minutes watching this video, I wouldn't have even bothered posting it up, just a typical blue collar worker venting and more concerned with getting his next fill of whatever gets his jollies off (Arby's, traveling to Italy, cigars, hookah, vape, getting a laugh from a 'wise'crack). Some guys like the sound of their own voice more than others and nothing he's said is of consequence so far.

Here's what I've heard so far "they cheesed out on the interior" "this car sucks, rides like a pogo stick"

He should replace Clarkson with commentary like that.

As if it wasn't obvious enough that some people will never 'get' this car.

Edit: Finished the video, grew up around guys like him, work with guys like him, I'm RELATED to guys like him, nothing you do will ever change his attitude. Maybe I missed something, idk, I'm more impressed somebody actually tried to diagnose an issue, then again you could have been assigned the other guy to drive and you wouldn't have even gotten an effort at finding the problem.

Last edited by strat61caster; 06-30-2015 at 11:20 PM.
strat61caster is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to strat61caster For This Useful Post:
DliciousFish (06-30-2015), fika84 (07-01-2015), kch (07-01-2015), kodyo (06-30-2015), Packofcrows (07-01-2015), soulreapersteve (06-30-2015), sprintertrueno86 (07-01-2015)