follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Tracking / Autocross / HPDE / Drifting

Tracking / Autocross / HPDE / Drifting What these cars were built for!

User Tag List

Old 08-29-2013, 09:20 PM   #1
utekineir
blowhard

Drives: frs, project forester
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Helmet headroom, how have the other apes done it?

About given up on waiting for lowering brackets for oem seat since the vendor has basically gone silent on the product.

Have read basically all the racing seat threads here, there doesn't seem to be a readily accepted ape friendly blueprint to follow that maintains sliders.

Has anyone attempted to remove some of the seat base foam, or alter the springs?

Its something thats been done effectively to increase the headroom on other platforms in the past. Starting to think I may as well give it a try, not like frs seats arent readily available due to people upgrading to brz limited or going buckets.
utekineir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 09:32 PM   #2
Cornerman

Drives: 2013 WRB BRZ
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Stretching the springs a little adds some headroom and the resulting new contour of the seat locks you in a lot better during braking and cornering.

I'm 6' 2.5" with a long torso and I fit fine with my HJC
Attached Images

Last edited by Cornerman; 08-29-2013 at 09:41 PM. Reason: Added picture attachment
Cornerman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Cornerman For This Useful Post:
utekineir (08-30-2013)
Old 08-29-2013, 10:06 PM   #3
p220guy

Drives: 08 FA5 civic si
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by utekineir View Post
About given up on waiting for lowering brackets for oem seat since the vendor has basically gone silent on the product.
Has anyone actually called DA motorsports about the -2" bracket they have teased us with yet???

I have not given up on these just yet since they had some pics and everything up. I personally am waiting to see some more on any option for more headroom before pulling the trigger on a BRZ limited. I can sit and drive just fine at 6'7" but if I put my head back to the headrest the top of my head hits the back of the "roof bubble" I cannot pull the trigger until there is a cost effect way to add at least an inch.
p220guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 10:29 PM   #4
utekineir
blowhard

well, it gets bumped about every other day, people have linked the vendor, and they've maintained other threads here in the meantime.

i'd assume if there were something positive to be noted it would have been, feeling under the back of the seat at lowest it doesn't seem to barely be an inch to gain.

i'm around 6'3 but due to portions have basically the same headroom situation you have, tried my motorcycle helmet, not even remotely possible.

i'd just mount a bucket without sliders, but that wont work when gf drives the car, plus living in bumfuck it doesn't look like theres anywhere i can try buckets to see what fits without a couple hour drive.
Old 08-30-2013, 12:35 PM   #5
p220guy

Drives: 08 FA5 civic si
Quote:
Originally Posted by utekineir View Post
well, it gets bumped about every other day, people have linked the vendor, and they've maintained other threads here in the meantime.

i'd assume if there were something positive to be noted it would have been, feeling under the back of the seat at lowest it doesn't seem to barely be an inch to gain.

i'm around 6'3 but due to portions have basically the same headroom situation you have, tried my motorcycle helmet, not even remotely possible.

i'd just mount a bucket without sliders, but that wont work when gf drives the car, plus living in bumfuck it doesn't look like theres anywhere i can try buckets to see what fits without a couple hour drive.

I hear you about living in the sticks... also at 290 lbs finding a bucket that fits me, a car, daily driver requirements is a tall order. I love the factory seats in the FR-S test drove twice.

Oh well I will enjoy my FA5 for now keep waiting for these brackets. If next summer hits us and there is no word maybe I will just need to pull the trigger on a used Cayman s or M3 or something. Who knows maybe the ND mx-5 will be out and I fit???

I maintain anyone over 6'6" is the most discriminated class of people on the planet. We are over 2 standard deviations from mean human height... suck it every other minority that thinks you get discriminated against...
p220guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 12:56 PM   #6
canu_50

Drives: Scion fr-s
at 290lbs you might want to look into the OMP WRC XL!!! They fit nice and have nice leg and bolders sipport!
canu_50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 01:09 PM   #7
utekineir
blowhard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cornerman View Post
Stretching the springs a little adds some headroom and the resulting new contour of the seat locks you in a lot better during braking and cornering.

completely missed this last night,

thanks, going to give it a try,

edit: just pulled the springs down about 3/4-1", definitely a slight improvement immediately, hopefully will get a bit lower after some driving time.

also looks like the whole bar of springs could be unhooked at the front of the seat near the plate and extended with zip ties.

Last edited by utekineir; 08-30-2013 at 03:09 PM.
Old 08-30-2013, 01:10 PM   #8
WhiteRose

Drives: 2013 Genesis Sedan
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by canu_50 View Post
at 290lbs you might want to look into the OMP WRC XL!!! They fit nice and have nice leg and bolders sipport!
They need headroom....

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2
WhiteRose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 01:18 PM   #9
Kostamojen

Drives: 1993 Impreza w/ WRX Swap + FWD!
Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cornerman View Post

I need to try this... The seat bottom on this seat is a bit too flat for my tastes.
Kostamojen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 02:46 PM   #10
canu_50

Drives: Scion fr-s
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteRose View Post
They need headroom....

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2
The seat is made lower where you seat, and also should fit is body shape.
canu_50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 11:05 AM   #11
Iamthebatman

Drives: Black Subaru BRZ
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Garage
I took out my seat and stretched the springs yesterday after reading this thread. It was a pain, and there are now blood stains on the bottom of the seat, but it was worth it!

The amount of headroom I gained is noticeable. I am 6'7", and before my head would brush the ceiling if i sat up very straight. I now have about 3/4" of room.

I not only stretched the springs, but cut the middle of one of the plastic brackets holding the springs together near the back to allow them to give more under my weight.

I still need more headroom, but this is a great start!
Iamthebatman is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
apes need love too