follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Forced Induction

Forced Induction Turbo, Supercharger, Methanol, Nitrous

User Tag List
go_a_way1

Old 04-14-2022, 02:27 PM   #5783
jacobe38
@slothbrz on IG

Drives: Track BRZ - Supercharged
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by AllThePeat View Post
Anyone else running the PTuning flex fuel kit and the JRSC — running into some fitment issues with the ethanol sensor and the oil reservoir needing much of the same space. Going to look at modifying the sensor bracket to give more room for the oil line and reservoir, but curious if others have solved in other ways.
i mounted my ptuning stuff to the back of the manifold, bolted it to this tab. works fine - been that way for a year and ~13 track days.

passenger side reservoir seems fine too, as long as having that long of a hose isnt a concern. i didnt think of that. i really wanted to use the filter mounting location though.

btw, and not trying to be rude, but your intercooler tube rubber coupling is not installed correctly (should be over the molded ridge in the rotrex with the clamp on the rotrex side of the molded ridge, right up against it) how you have it may not cause issues, though. but you can see you have extra rubber squished together there

jacobe38 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jacobe38 For This Useful Post:
AllThePeat (04-18-2022)
Old 04-16-2022, 07:49 PM   #5784
dynarun55

Drives: 2015 midnight blue limited edition.
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Correct procedure for checking Rotrex Oil level

Hey guys, I just installed a new Rotrex C-30 in my JRSC. I would really like to clear up the procedure for checking the rotrex oil level. So the rotrex manual that came with the box had the following procedure clearly laid out:

Rotrex method - (also Latest version available on website)

Oil level checking procedure
Check the oil level using the correct oil level checking procedure as described below.
• Set the engine speed between 2 and 3000 rpm.
• Remove the dipstick and wipe it clean.
• Check the oil level while the engine is kept running at 2 – 3000 rpm.
• The correct oil level is between the min and max marking of the dipstick
measured with the thread of the cap fully engaged.
IMPORTANT!
The procedure above is the correct and only way to check the oil level (checking the oil
level with the system turned off does not give a correct reading).

Now comparing this to the procedure mentioned in the JRSC manual:

- To check the oil level, make sure the car is completely warmed up.
- Hold the throttle at 2000-2500rpm for approximately 1 minute.
- Let the idle come back to normal and then unscrew the dipstick, wipe it dry, and then reinsert it into the reservoir without threading it back in. The oil level should be between the low and high marks.
- This way of reading the oil level will give you a more accurate “real world” reading of what the oil level is while driving than simply checking it first thing in the morning.

So two key differences to me is the dip stick fully engaged per Rotrex and not letting it return to idle while checking.

So I just did these methods back to back on a flat surface after the car was up to temperature. Had my buddy hold the car between 2 and 3k.

Rotrex method --> The dip stick reads a hair below max.

JRSC method --> The dip stick is at the first level above min.

Checked the whole system for any leaks and loose fittings..everything is good and the car runs great... But I'm really anxious about the rotrex unit failing due to lack of oil or overfilling the reservoir..

What are your thoughts about these 2 different procedures and which one do you follow ?

P.S. The previous Rotrex version (also available on website) did not have the warning that insists theirs is the only way to correctly measure the oil level!! So something must have prompted that revision in their leaflet.
dynarun55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2022, 09:30 PM   #5785
AllThePeat

Drives: 2019 Autox BRZ & 2021 GTI (Daily)
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacobe38 View Post
i mounted my ptuning stuff to the back of the manifold, bolted it to this tab. works fine - been that way for a year and ~13 track days.

passenger side reservoir seems fine too, as long as having that long of a hose isnt a concern. i didnt think of that. i really wanted to use the filter mounting location though.

btw, and not trying to be rude, but your intercooler tube rubber coupling is not installed correctly (should be over the molded ridge in the rotrex with the clamp on the rotrex side of the molded ridge, right up against it) how you have it may not cause issues, though. but you can see you have extra rubber squished together there
No rudeness taken — and I’d rather be wrong and learn, than be ignorant — so appreciate the feedback! Not fully understanding — are you referring to what is connected to the throttle body or the MAF? And possibly it’s the angle I took the picture. I’ll have to take another look at it later this week when I finalize everything before the first startup. Freaking snowed today in Wisconsin

Again, appreciate the info!

And with regard to the hose length, I was also thinking through that when I was adjusting the placement. I only added about 18” to the overall length — created a new hose that was 18” longer than the longest provided hose. The rest were adjusted in position, but no additional length. Considering the percentage added wasn’t a lot — IMO — I thought it was worth the modification. Like the way it turned out, so we shall see!

2021 GTI | Daily
AllThePeat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2022, 12:18 PM   #5786
jacobe38
@slothbrz on IG

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllThePeat View Post
No rudeness taken — and I’d rather be wrong and learn, than be ignorant — so appreciate the feedback! Not fully understanding — are you referring to what is connected to the throttle body or the MAF? And possibly it’s the angle I took the picture. I’ll have to take another look at it later this week when I finalize everything before the first startup. Freaking snowed today in Wisconsin

Again, appreciate the info!

And with regard to the hose length, I was also thinking through that when I was adjusting the placement. I only added about 18” to the overall length — created a new hose that was 18” longer than the longest provided hose. The rest were adjusted in position, but no additional length. Considering the percentage added wasn’t a lot — IMO — I thought it was worth the modification. Like the way it turned out, so we shall see!
sure, i was referring to this area

AllThePeat (04-20-2022)
Old 04-19-2022, 12:21 PM   #5787
jacobe38
@slothbrz on IG

Quote:
Originally Posted by dynarun55 View Post
Hey guys, I just installed a new Rotrex C-30 in my JRSC. I would really like to clear up the procedure for checking the rotrex oil level. So the rotrex manual that came with the box had the following procedure clearly laid out:

Rotrex method - (also Latest version available on website)

Oil level checking procedure
Check the oil level using the correct oil level checking procedure as described below.
• Set the engine speed between 2 and 3000 rpm.
• Remove the dipstick and wipe it clean.
• Check the oil level while the engine is kept running at 2 – 3000 rpm.
• The correct oil level is between the min and max marking of the dipstick
measured with the thread of the cap fully engaged.
IMPORTANT!
The procedure above is the correct and only way to check the oil level (checking the oil
level with the system turned off does not give a correct reading).

Now comparing this to the procedure mentioned in the JRSC manual:

- To check the oil level, make sure the car is completely warmed up.
- Hold the throttle at 2000-2500rpm for approximately 1 minute.
- Let the idle come back to normal and then unscrew the dipstick, wipe it dry, and then reinsert it into the reservoir without threading it back in. The oil level should be between the low and high marks.
- This way of reading the oil level will give you a more accurate “real world” reading of what the oil level is while driving than simply checking it first thing in the morning.

So two key differences to me is the dip stick fully engaged per Rotrex and not letting it return to idle while checking.

So I just did these methods back to back on a flat surface after the car was up to temperature. Had my buddy hold the car between 2 and 3k.

Rotrex method --> The dip stick reads a hair below max.

JRSC method --> The dip stick is at the first level above min.

Checked the whole system for any leaks and loose fittings..everything is good and the car runs great... But I'm really anxious about the rotrex unit failing due to lack of oil or overfilling the reservoir..

What are your thoughts about these 2 different procedures and which one do you follow ?

P.S. The previous Rotrex version (also available on website) did not have the warning that insists theirs is the only way to correctly measure the oil level!! So something must have prompted that revision in their leaflet.

i would follow Jackson's method. my reasoning is that their directions are kit/car specific and in theory are more accurate than rotrex's more generalized instructions. not an expert though.

I've gotten to the point where I've learned where the 'proper' reading correlates to the cold level and just check the cold level. if its right, and you have no leaks, i check it a few times a year
CSG Mike (04-27-2022)
Old 04-20-2022, 08:09 AM   #5788
dynarun55

Quote:
i would follow Jackson's method. my reasoning is that their directions are kit/car specific and in theory are more accurate than rotrex's more generalized instructions. not an expert though.

I've gotten to the point where I've learned where the 'proper' reading correlates to the cold level and just check the cold level. if its right, and you have no leaks, i check it a few times a year
I hear what you're saying...but I feel like using the JR method on initial startup slightly overfills the system. I am curious if someone has checked the oil level once after things have leveled out..say after a week of driving. The reservoir is a vented cap, I suspect the oil eventually seeps out and if you measure again using the JR method it will read low.

What really bothers me is, just in theory, the Rotrex method will most definitely result in a higher reading coz of more scavenging at higher rpm + thread fully engaged...and JR's read at idle rpm without the dip stick thread engaged.

Anyone else weigh in on this ? I already burnt up a unit and I really really love this setup and I do not want to lose another one. Would appreciate any input.. TIA
Old 04-20-2022, 02:46 PM   #5789
jacobe38
@slothbrz on IG

Quote:
I hear what you're saying...but I feel like using the JR method on initial startup slightly overfills the system. I am curious if someone has checked the oil level once after things have leveled out..say after a week of driving. The reservoir is a vented cap, I suspect the oil eventually seeps out and if you measure again using the JR method it will read low.

What really bothers me is, just in theory, the Rotrex method will most definitely result in a higher reading coz of more scavenging at higher rpm + thread fully engaged...and JR's read at idle rpm without the dip stick thread engaged.

Anyone else weigh in on this ? I already burnt up a unit and I really really love this setup and I do not want to lose another one. Would appreciate any input.. TIA
consistent method is more important than which method used

the JRSC method does overfill at first start, b/c a ton of fluid gets sucked into the system. hoses, cooler, etc, all hold fluid. priming the unit is a critical part of the start up too. and even after that first crank, you have to add more fluid still, and quickly, b/c it will empty the reservoir on first start (i accidentally ran my reservoir dry for a couple minutes). unless you did something like pre-filling the cooler, you do have to add and/or remove fluid at first until you find the right level.

the oil does not eventually seep out. the total fluid in the system will remain the same, assuming no leaks or issues

I added/removed fluid until mine read full using the jackson method and called it a day cause i can do that one alone. been a year, many trackdays of hard driving, and no problems.
CSG Mike (04-27-2022)
Old 04-20-2022, 05:57 PM   #5790
dynarun55

Yes total fluid remains the same but if you are over-full. the oil will seep out from the vented cap at higher rpms when there is greater scavenging. Rotrex seems to equally paranoid about over-filling in their manual. I am glad to hear your rotrex is working well and good to know you used the JR method to fill it to full.

Quote:

the JRSC method does overfill at first start, b/c a ton of fluid gets sucked into the system. hoses, cooler, etc, all hold fluid. priming the unit is a critical part of the start up too. and even after that first crank, you have to add more fluid still, and quickly, b/c it will empty the reservoir on first start (i accidentally ran my reservoir dry for a couple minutes). unless you did something like pre-filling the cooler, you do have to add and/or remove fluid at first until you find the right level.

the oil does not eventually seep out. the total fluid in the system will remain the same, assuming no leaks or issues

I added/removed fluid until mine read full using the jackson method and called it a day cause i can do that one alone. been a year, many trackdays of hard driving, and no problems.
Old 04-20-2022, 06:01 PM   #5791
dynarun55

Quote:

Don't mean to be annoying but when you get a chance can you check what your dip stick shows using the JR method right now please ?
Old 04-20-2022, 08:58 PM   #5792
jacobe38
@slothbrz on IG

Quote:
Don't mean to be annoying but when you get a chance can you check what your dip stick shows using the JR method right now please ?
sorry i can't now, but i can tomorrow
Old 04-20-2022, 09:32 PM   #5793
dynarun55

Quote:
sorry i can't now, but i can tomorrow
Thanks a ton..

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk
Old 04-23-2022, 02:45 PM   #5794
jacobe38
@slothbrz on IG

Quote:
Thanks a ton..

wasnt able to until today, but heres the reading using JSRC method

looks like im over full, up to the L in the word Level, LOL. i ran it like this for 13 track days so, i think its fine....but im gonna pull some out just in case.

at the very least, this should tell you not to worry TOO much about over filling.

Old 04-23-2022, 10:51 PM   #5795
dynarun55

Quote:
wasnt able to until today, but heres the reading using JSRC method

looks like im over full, up to the L in the word Level, LOL. i ran it like this for 13 track days so, i think its fine....but im gonna pull some out just in case.

at the very least, this should tell you not to worry TOO much about over filling.

Oh wow! That is the level on the stick without the thread of the cap engaged ?? If it is that then yeah you are over full lol. .. but seriously thanks for checking... Got to know you're issue free.

Old 04-24-2022, 01:36 PM   #5796
jacobe38
@slothbrz on IG

Quote:
Oh wow! That is the level on the stick without the thread of the cap engaged ?? If it is that then yeah you are over full lol. .. but seriously thanks for checking... Got to know you're issue free.

yep, without threads engaged.

and no worries...it was good for me to check regardless. problem is i have no effective way to pull fluid out. i just dipped the stick like 50 times and wiped off the excess.

some really high level scientific stuff happening in my garage as you can tell
dynarun55 (04-24-2022)