follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics

BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics All discussions about the first-gen Subaru BRZ coupe

User Tag List

Old 05-09-2013, 09:26 PM   #29
LeeMaster
Red wine

Drives: Subaru BRZ(R.I.P)
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug&Julie View Post
Free oil changes for life and Subaru reliability make service a ton cheaper, too.
Say what? I never heard of a lifetime free oil change, the longest I ever heard prior to this was a 3 year.
Old 05-09-2013, 10:06 PM   #30
jdcorbitt3

Drives: 2013 red FR-S, OFT. 2000 Miata SE
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
I traded a Boxster in on my FR-S. the Boxster was a great handling car, but I felt it was a hand grenade ready to let go. The tub on the 986,987 is fantastic, but the engine and all the accessories were sub par. I think Porsche built low quality cars in the late 90s and early 2000s. In 2009, when they got rid of the intermediate shaft and 34 engine parts, they stepped up their game. The same for the cayenne. I had an 06 that was falling apart after only three years. The 2010 appears to be on the mark. I would be tempted by an 09 or newer Cayman S, but in today's economy, the FR-S, BR-Z was a no-brainer.

John
jdcorbitt3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 02:11 AM   #31
Rosso_Corsa

Drives: Audi R8 - Subaru BRZ
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Ganthrithor, I think your comments very much echo mine.

Soravia, you are not missing much in terms of Cayman's shifter. It's typical Porsche. Easy to operate, medium throws, pleasant enough but nothing sensational like an S2k. The 987 gen Cayman's steering is sensationally full of feedback however. Lots of nuggety feel all throughout and you get a real sense of the tires loading up as you enter and exit corners (the BRZ steering is good, but not this good). Very very satisfying, almost as good as the Lotus Exige that I had at my disposal for a while (but not quite Lotus quality). The Lotus has the best steering in existence IMO.

Quote:
Say what? I never heard of a lifetime free oil change, the longest I ever heard prior to this was a 3 year.
In spite of the first response to my thread bashing Richmond Subaru, this is something that they actually included with the vehicle. So long as you complete all scheduled maintenance exclusively with them, they will always pay for the portion of the service that is oil related. Pretty good, I'd say, though I enjoy doing my own maintenance.

Quote:
The only bad thing is you need to get the crummy tires replaced in order to experience its phenomenal grip potential.
Given your tendency towards big power cars, I get where you're coming from but for me it's the opposite. I am really enjoying these low grip tires because they are lighter on their feet and love dancing around at lower speeds. With the big grip cars like the M3 and Corvettes, you really have to be cooking to feel like you're working the grip.

The ONLY thing I'm not enjoying so far is that kids with rusty two thousand dollar beater civics and integras are constantly trying to hassle me. In the Porsches... I never got this kind of heat. In fact, I've never even known they existed.
Rosso_Corsa is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Rosso_Corsa For This Useful Post:
86GT (05-10-2013), Dr.Science (06-26-2013), racecaresuaceb (05-27-2013)
Old 05-10-2013, 02:59 AM   #32
Ganthrithor

Drives: '13 BRZ, '06 997, Other Things(TM)
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosso_Corsa View Post
The ONLY thing I'm not enjoying so far is that kids with rusty two thousand dollar beater civics and integras are constantly trying to hassle me. In the Porsches... I never got this kind of heat. In fact, I've never even known they existed.
@
(Note: I do not condone this dude's approach to highway driving-- it is the wrong place to experience such aural pleasure)

Also, dat garage.

Out of curiosity, do you have many good driving roads up in BC?

Last edited by Ganthrithor; 05-10-2013 at 03:10 AM.
Ganthrithor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 03:03 AM   #33
DaJo
FT86Club Vancouver

Drives: BRZ Sport-Tech; Drove: MR-S, AE86
Thanked 1,178 Times in 633 Posts
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
A local member has said it before but I will say it again; I am uber jealous of your spacious garage!...

2013 BRZ Sport-Tech 6AT
Since '12 (OEM+ STI tS Build)
2015 Lexus IS250 AWD F-Sport 2 2015-2018
2018 Lexus NX300 F-Sport 3 Since '18
DaJo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 04:04 AM   #34
Rosso_Corsa

Drives: Audi R8 - Subaru BRZ
Thanks DaJo!

Ganthrithor,

There are quite a few outside city limits, but the heat is a bit too serious this year. See, we have a law where any citation of 'excessive speed' comes with an automatic vehicle impound. If your vehicle is high value enough, they will even sell it off.

http://news.nationalpost.com/2012/01...t-racing-case/

Oh, and they run helicopters all day long to try and catch speeders...

http://www.theprovince.com/news/Poli...523/story.html

Over the top right? Not a fun place to be a car enthusiast.

I'm sure you have way better roads and probably more manageable heat in Colorado.
Rosso_Corsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 04:53 AM   #35
SC David
Bloberator

Drives: 2013 Asphalt FR-S 6MT
Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quote:
Thanks DaJo!

Ganthrithor,

There are quite a few outside city limits, but the heat is a bit too serious this year. See, we have a law where any citation of 'excessive speed' comes with an automatic vehicle impound. If your vehicle is high value enough, they will even sell it off.

http://news.nationalpost.com/2012/01...t-racing-case/

Oh, and they run helicopters all day long to try and catch speeders...

http://www.theprovince.com/news/Poli...523/story.html

Over the top right? Not a fun place to be a car enthusiast.

I'm sure you have way better roads and probably more manageable heat in Colorado.
Speed limits in the Vancouver area were UBER low, from what I remember, so having a little fun = lots of trouble. I did a trip out to the west side of Vancouver Island (way out of town, I realize) a few years ago, and was having some fun on the twisty highway coming back, and would occasionally squint at my MPH speedo and do the math to find I was doing double the KPH limit without meaning to. I wonder if they'd have impounded a car from another country
Old 05-10-2013, 07:49 AM   #36
Doug&Julie
Boxer Fan

Drives: 2013 Subaru BRZ
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeeMaster View Post
Offered by Subaru of Kings Automall here in the Cinci area. And like Rosso_Corsa said, it's only on the oil change. Oh, and they want to do it at "recommended intervals", which on our Impreza is every 7500 miles. I've gotten them to OK a change every 5k miles (makes it easier to remember ).

Of course, with my past history, a "lifetime" of oil changes will only last a couple of years anyway...I tend to go through cars like some kind of A.D.D. for car buying.

...I am trying to change that...
Doug&Julie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 09:09 AM   #37
Budo

Drives: BRZ
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdcorbitt3 View Post
I traded a Boxster in on my FR-S. the Boxster was a great handling car, but I felt it was a hand grenade ready to let go. The tub on the 986,987 is fantastic, but the engine and all the accessories were sub par. I think Porsche built low quality cars in the late 90s and early 2000s. In 2009, when they got rid of the intermediate shaft and 34 engine parts, they stepped up their game. The same for the cayenne. I had an 06 that was falling apart after only three years. The 2010 appears to be on the mark. I would be tempted by an 09 or newer Cayman S, but in today's economy, the FR-S, BR-Z was a no-brainer.

John
Isn't that just it? It doesn't surprise me that we have so many high end car enthusiasts in this thread and forum. I was comparing the Cayman and the BRZ, and while the BRZ doesn't have the Porsche cache, it does have a cache all its own. Excellent performance coupled with that Japanese economy and as opposed to the IMS engine which seems it might fail at any given moment, we have a warranty. On another note, thanks to the OP for the thread, its been great to hear these comments which have simply been affirmations concerning my own experience with the BRZ. Lastly, on Sunday past, I saw three Caymans, I didn't see one BRZ or FRS, there's something to that too! for however long it lasts.
BUDO
Budo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 10:09 AM   #38
Marrk

Drives: Honda Fit
Quote:
The Lotus has the best steering in existence IMO.
This has been my experience as well. Not even the MP4-12C could touch it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Budo View Post
as opposed to the IMS engine which seems it might fail at any given moment
Someone on another forum told me that the 997.2 had resolved this problem. Have you heard anything?
Marrk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 10:59 AM   #39
ashtray
As Seen On The Internet

Drives: 2003 WRX, 2013 BRZ, 442
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Having not driven the Porsche or Bimmer, I can't comment first hand, but I see where you're coming from. As for your comment that the BRZ is like a hardcore Miata - I find it to be more like the Miata's bigger brother.

I had a modified NA - full Flying Miata suspension and frame rails. Handled sharper and felt very light on its feet. I owned both cars concurrently for almost a year. The BRZ was much softer riding - in a good way - not harsh, and very comfortable over bumps. You could definitely feel the 300+ pound weight difference in the BRZ.

The Miata was slightly more fun to drive, while the BRZ gave a better overall driving experience (comfort, features, etc) while still being very engaging and fun itself.
ashtray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 11:16 AM   #40
Marrk

Drives: Honda Fit
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashtray View Post

I had a modified NA - full Flying Miata suspension and frame rails. Handled sharper and felt very light on its feet. I owned both cars concurrently for almost a year. The BRZ was much softer riding - in a good way - not harsh, and very comfortable over bumps. You could definitely feel the 300+ pound weight difference in the BRZ.

Not to go way off topic here, but what are "frame rails"? Did you have to reinforce the Miata's frame in order to get adequate rigidity? Or to compensate for added HP? (I understand that people had to do this with Z3s.)

I would buy a Miata over a BRZ if Miata would come out with a "superleggera" with 200 HP. Instead, they are coming out with a forced induction engine that will be smaller but produce HP same as existing models, and they're going to sell the frame and powertrain to Alfa Romeo for their re-introduced Spider.
Marrk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 11:38 AM   #41
ashtray
As Seen On The Internet

Drives: 2003 WRX, 2013 BRZ, 442
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marrk View Post
Not to go way off topic here, but what are "frame rails"? Did you have to reinforce the Miata's frame in order to get adequate rigidity? Or to compensate for added HP? (I understand that people had to do this with Z3s.)

I would buy a Miata over a BRZ if Miata would come out with a "superleggera" with 200 HP. Instead, they are coming out with a forced induction engine that will be smaller but produce HP same as existing models, and they're going to sell the frame and powertrain to Alfa Romeo for their re-introduced Spider.
Yeah - the area under the seats under the car are not structural - so bolting in a set of stainless steel frame rails really adds structural rigidity to the car. I didn't have any hp mods - just handling mods. The Miata only felt low on power on steep highway grades. Mostly I used it for weekend canyon carving and daily commuting. While the wider and heavier BRZ is much nicer in almost every way, that little Miata could dance on its toes with its stickier tires and smaller wheelbase.

Again, I feel the BRZ is just like a grown up more mature sibling to the Miata I had. Against the newer Miata, the differences are probably less pronounced.

Now back to M3's and Porsches!

I had an E39 5 series in the late 90's - I think the E90 3-series sedan is close in size/weight to my old 528i!
ashtray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 11:42 AM   #42
Linseal

Drives: Argento MT Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by WolfpackS2k View Post
I suppose since you still have a 911 4S its not quite as shocking...but yeah, no way in hell I would replace a Cayman S with a BRZ. I've driven both in anger and I fell in love with the Cayman's handling, power and that sweet engine screaming behind your head.

If Subaru doesn't offer a faster BRZ in 1-2 years I'm hoping to upgrade to a Cayman S
Same reasons my dad still has his 88' MK1 MR2
Linseal is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
brz forum, brz forums, subaru brz, subaru brz forum, subaru brz forums