follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 2nd Gens: GR86 and BRZ > BRZ Second-Gen (2022+) -- General Topics

BRZ Second-Gen (2022+) -- General Topics General topics for the second-gen BRZ

View Poll Results: How would you rate the design of the 2nd gen? 1 lowest & 5 highest
1 19 7.20%
2 25 9.47%
3 62 23.48%
4 104 39.39%
5 54 20.45%
Voters: 264. You may not vote on this poll

User Tag List

Old 05-10-2021, 12:50 PM   #1891
Sasquachulator
Pavement Grey

Drives: 2020 Toyota 86 GT, 2017 BMW X1
Thanked 2,219 Times in 1,202 Posts
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkSideFRS View Post
sure, let's just spend money creating a car and break even at best says no CEO ever
Well this was the matra at Toyota before Akio Toyoda became president....

looking beyond the profit as the endgame and now you have cars that stir up driver emotion.
that's why we actually have toyota sports cars now again....

Besides the LFA was a money losing venture from the get go.
Sasquachulator is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Sasquachulator For This Useful Post:
soundman98 (05-10-2021)
Old 05-10-2021, 12:56 PM   #1892
DarkSideFRS
Banned

Drives: 2013 pearl white FR-S
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sasquachulator View Post
Well this was the matra at Toyota before Akio Toyoda became president....

looking beyond the profit as the endgame and now you have cars that stir up driver emotion.
that's why we actually have toyota sports cars now again....

Besides the LFA was a money losing venture from the get go.
all supercars all built with that mindset

the twins are not a supercar. Not even close
DarkSideFRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2021, 01:13 PM   #1893
PulsarBeeerz

Drives: JRSC BRZ
Quote:
all supercars all built with that mindset

the twins are not a supercar. Not even close

When you are losing an argument, simply change the argument.
PulsarBeeerz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to PulsarBeeerz For This Useful Post:
soundman98 (05-10-2021)
Old 05-10-2021, 01:16 PM   #1894
DarkSideFRS
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by PulsarBeeerz View Post
When you are losing an argument, simply change the argument.
i said car, not supercar. good try noob

Quote:
sure, let's just spend money creating a car and break even at best says no CEO ever
Old 05-10-2021, 01:36 PM   #1895
Dadhawk
1st86 Driver!

Drives: '13 FR-S (#3 of 1st 86)
Thanked 24,897 Times in 11,357 Posts
Mentioned: 181 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
It happens all the time. These are not their bread and butter and you know it.
I guess he's never heard of a loss leader, or halo car, or whatever the phrase of the day is.

Visit my Owner's Journal where I wax philosophic on all things FR-S
Post your 86 or see others in front of a(n) (in)famous landmark.
What fits in your 86? Show us the "Junk In Your Trunk".
Dadhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Dadhawk For This Useful Post:
Dake (05-10-2021), soundman98 (05-10-2021), Tcoat (05-10-2021)
Old 05-10-2021, 01:58 PM   #1896
Sasquachulator
Pavement Grey

Quote:
i said car, not supercar. good try noob
A supercar isnt a car?
Old 05-10-2021, 02:21 PM   #1897
HKz
Reformed

Drives: '23 GRC, '11 Prius, '04 RAV4
Thanked 1,132 Times in 588 Posts
i gotta give props to darksidefrs, what consistent toxicity. life is bigger than the twins dude, you'll realize that one day
HKz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to HKz For This Useful Post:
soundman98 (05-10-2021)
Old 05-10-2021, 02:44 PM   #1898
TheDonEffect

Drives: A mix
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
FWIW, Porsches have the highest profit margins and really embraced the lower total sales but with greater margins sales model. Just peruse the options list and see the prices they charge for things like paint matched headlight washer nozzles. They've really adopted the luxury brand mindset of making a certain number, and if demand goes up, just increase the price, with their sportscars at least.

While I'm sure it happens, by and large dealers will sell every last car they get in and don't crush old dead stock so them selling every last one isn't a testament to the desirability, and I'm willing to bet that if the twins demand were like Hyundai Telluride, they would ramp up production, but essentially the opposite happened.

The twins will not be a lesson that corporations will learn to make more affordable sports cars, if anything it just validated Honda's decision to stay away for the most part. The twins aren't even a halo car, or a car that speaks directly to the identity of the company like the Miata does for Mazda, or the Mustang for Ford.

Toyota knew this going, hence they had to find every way to save money on R&D and production.

I do like that Toyota is trying to produce emotionally invigorating cars again, but so far we just have the GR4 which uses an engine that I'm sure will be in a ton of CUVs in short order.
TheDonEffect is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TheDonEffect For This Useful Post:
DarkSideFRS (05-10-2021), Tcoat (05-10-2021)
Old 05-10-2021, 02:45 PM   #1899
SUB-FT86
86 Member

Drives: 2013 Toyota 86 2.0T (Asphalt)
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
There's a reason Toyota teamed up with Subaru and BMW and it's because the cars would fail much harder fiscally if they were built by Toyota only. They knew these cars weren't going to sell in big numbers because they have experience on their side(Mk4 Supra, Celica and MR2 as examples). But it's better to share the financial burden across multiple brands while having a sporting option for customers despite its failure to generate big time profits. Also a boosted 86 wouldn't necessarily make the 86 a whole lot better of a seller. The Supra had both an N/A and TT variant and still failed financially despite the fanboy love of it.
SUB-FT86 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SUB-FT86 For This Useful Post:
soundman98 (05-10-2021), Tcoat (05-10-2021)
Old 05-10-2021, 02:45 PM   #1900
DarkSideFRS
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sasquachulator View Post
A supercar isnt a car?
only if u're swimming in a pile of cash.. for most of us, it's not a car but rather a pipe dream
Old 05-10-2021, 02:48 PM   #1901
DarkSideFRS
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDonEffect View Post
FWIW, Porsches have the highest profit margins and really embraced the lower total sales but with greater margins sales model. Just peruse the options list and see the prices they charge for things like paint matched headlight washer nozzles. They've really adopted the luxury brand mindset of making a certain number, and if demand goes up, just increase the price, with their sportscars at least.

While I'm sure it happens, by and large dealers will sell every last car they get in and don't crush old dead stock so them selling every last one isn't a testament to the desirability, and I'm willing to bet that if the twins demand were like Hyundai Telluride, they would ramp up production, but essentially the opposite happened.

The twins will not be a lesson that corporations will learn to make more affordable sports cars, if anything it just validated Honda's decision to stay away for the most part. The twins aren't even a halo car, or a car that speaks directly to the identity of the company like the Miata does for Mazda, or the Mustang for Ford.

Toyota knew this going, hence they had to find every way to save money on R&D and production.

I do like that Toyota is trying to produce emotionally invigorating cars again, but so far we just have the GR4 which uses an engine that I'm sure will be in a ton of CUVs in short order.
finally, someone with common sense!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DarkSideFRS For This Useful Post:
Dadhawk (05-10-2021), TheDonEffect (05-11-2021)
Old 05-10-2021, 03:02 PM   #1902
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,283 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2494 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:

They planned what to make and they sold what they made. They said outright that that was all they ever wanted with this car.
As you stated they knew what they were doing when they went into it. They are not new to this and all the armchair CEOs can sit back and make unfounded claims all they want it does not change the fact that as it is the car was a success.
Dadhawk (05-10-2021), HKz (05-11-2021), nikitopo (05-10-2021), soundman98 (05-10-2021)
Old 05-10-2021, 03:25 PM   #1903
Dadhawk
1st86 Driver!

Drives: '13 FR-S (#3 of 1st 86)
Thanked 24,897 Times in 11,357 Posts
Mentioned: 181 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quote:
While I'm sure it happens, by and large dealers will sell every last car they get in and don't crush old dead stock so them selling every last one isn't a testament to the desirability, and I'm willing to bet that if the twins demand were like Hyundai Telluride, they would ramp up production, but essentially the opposite happened..
The difference is how they are sold, and how quickly. For the 86, they have had to spend little on advertising, and very few promotional incentives. Most are sold within spitting distance of MSRP (I'm sure there are exceptions which will come out of the woodwork now in an attempt to prove me wrong).

At the end of the model year there haven't been stockpiles of them just waiting to sell.

That all lends itself to them having read the market right.

Visit my Owner's Journal where I wax philosophic on all things FR-S
Post your 86 or see others in front of a(n) (in)famous landmark.
What fits in your 86? Show us the "Junk In Your Trunk".
Dadhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Dadhawk For This Useful Post:
soundman98 (05-10-2021)
Old 05-10-2021, 03:28 PM   #1904
Sasquachulator
Pavement Grey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dadhawk View Post
The difference is how they are sold, and how quickly. For the 86, they have had to spend little on advertising, and very few promotional incentives. Most are sold within spitting distance of MSRP (I'm sure there are exceptions which will come out of the woodwork now in an attempt to prove me wrong).

At the end of the model year there haven't been stockpiles of them just waiting to sell.

That all lends itself to them having read the market right.
They actually dont advertise this car much if at all lol.
I doubt it has any negative effect on sales since there are not alot of examples. BUt yeah Toyota probably has this segment figured out for the non-miata buyers. They produce just enough, and sell just enough.

Plus im sure anyone who wanted one got one and whoever is left....are probably looking at every vehicular option available (so they were not solely invested on this particular type of car)