follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing

Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing Relating to suspension, chassis, and brakes. Sponsored by 949 Racing.

User Tag List

Old 02-06-2021, 01:41 PM   #1
tankslapper

Drives: None
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Best track suspension for the buck?

I just purchased a 2020 86 base as a track car, specifically to run in NASA/86 Cup time trials in the street class on road courses. I'm interested in an aftermarket suspension that is street-legal that provides best bang for the buck.
Specifically:

Budget $3500 or less, though I could be convinced to spend more if the performance gains are tangible

Prefer set it and forget it over having to tweak the settings constantly

I went through this same process on a BMW forum for a TT M3 a few years ago, and it was a total sheet show...hoping for a better experience here.

I'm hoping for some objective comparisons reflected in lap times or other verifiable metrics, as opposed to fan-boy arguments without any supporting data.

Thanks in advance!
tankslapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2021, 07:14 AM   #2
x808drifter
LMGTFY

Drives: 13 FRS, 91 Miata
Thanked 3,646 Times in 1,625 Posts
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tankslapper View Post
I just purchased a 2020 86 base as a track car, specifically to run in NASA/86 Cup time trials in the street class on road courses. I'm interested in an aftermarket suspension that is street-legal that provides best bang for the buck.
Specifically:

Budget $3500 or less, though I could be convinced to spend more if the performance gains are tangible

I went through this same process on a BMW forum for a TT M3 a few years ago, and it was a total sheet show...hoping for a better experience here.

I'm hoping for some objective comparisons reflected in lap times or other verifiable metrics, as opposed to fan-boy arguments without any supporting data.

Thanks in advance!
x808drifter is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to x808drifter For This Useful Post:
Captain Snooze (02-08-2021), finch1750 (02-11-2021)
Old 02-07-2021, 06:53 PM   #3
Turdinator
Seņor Member

Drives: 86 GT/'74 TA22 Celica/Kangaroo
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Garage
Whilst I am sure you will get some reasonable answers here, the Tracking sub forum might give you some more experienced based answers.
Old 02-07-2021, 06:54 PM   #4
TommyW

Drives: '13 Whiteout
Thanked 1,242 Times in 673 Posts
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quote:
Specifically:

Thanks in advance!
What is your track experience level?
TommyW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2021, 08:06 PM   #5
Tanstin

Drives: 2013 Scion FRS
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
While I don't have lap times on hand, I can say that a very popular bang for buck non-adjustable setup thats trackable would be the bilstein b6+rce yellow springs(or tarmac springs)

For coilovers around $3500, many people report good things from KW clubsport 2s. RCE T2s (uses KW dampers and is a good bit cheaper, but no tophat).
Both offer adjustable compression and rebound damping. I do believe RCE T2s come with lifetime warranty, but check with them.
This is all anecdotal evidence, I know, so
@CSG Mike @Racecomp Engineering
These two guys know way more than me and can help you with your shopping.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
Tanstin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Tanstin For This Useful Post:
Racecomp Engineering (02-08-2021)
Old 02-07-2021, 09:10 PM   #6
x808drifter
LMGTFY

Drives: 13 FRS, 91 Miata
Thanked 3,646 Times in 1,625 Posts
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanstin View Post
While I don't have lap times on hand, I can say that a very popular bang for buck non-adjustable setup thats trackable would be the bilstein b6+rce yellow springs(or tarmac springs)

For coilovers around $3500, many people report good things from KW clubsport 2s. RCE T2s (uses KW dampers and is a good bit cheaper, but no tophat).
Both offer adjustable compression and rebound damping. I do believe RCE T2s come with lifetime warranty, but check with them.
This is all anecdotal evidence, I know, so
@CSG Mike @Racecomp Engineering
These two guys know way more than me and can help you with your shopping.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Ignore the part about incompetence.
x808drifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2021, 10:51 PM   #7
CSG Mike

Drives: S2000 CR
Thanked 14,166 Times in 6,828 Posts
Mentioned: 966 Post(s)
Tagged: 14 Thread(s)
Quote:
Specifically:

Thanks in advance!
You got a shitshow on the bmw because of how you're asking your question, and you'll likely get another one here, based on your post.

Can you quantify for us, your experience and prefernces, with lap times or other verifiable metrics, so that someone could potentially guide you without blindly guessing and making recommendations they have no place making?

What are YOUR metrics for "bang for the the buck"? What is your target NASA/86CUP class? What is your use case? Is this a daily driver? What kind of service interval do you want?

Your question is basically like a stranger coming up to you and saying, "what's the best car I can buy for $30,000?", with zero context or clue of their actual likes, dislikes, needs, not-needs, etc. Everyone will have a different opinion. Nobody will have data.
CSG Mike is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to CSG Mike For This Useful Post:
gcmak (02-09-2021), Jdmjunkie (02-08-2021), Pat (02-08-2021), Tanstin (02-12-2021), therealstoly (02-08-2021), TommyW (02-07-2021)
Old 02-08-2021, 11:38 AM   #8
tankslapper

Most of your questions are answered in the first sentence of my post, but I will reiterate:
What suspension in my price range will result in the fastest lap times in street class for 86 Cup for my dedicated track 86?
My preference is set it and forget it, as opposed to having to frequently adjust settings.
I drive an 86 in WRL, and have done time trials and W2W with NASA and WRL for the last 11 years in various cars. I instruct with NASA, BMW Club, and Porsche Club in my region.
Service interval: every three years, but more often if the rebuild costs are not prohibitive ($1000 or less.)

And you never know unless you ask-there may be someone out there who kept metrics between switching from stock to one or more track suspensions. After all, competitiveness and improvement can only be measured by data, so I don't think it's too much to ask.
Old 02-08-2021, 01:44 PM   #9
CSG Mike

Quote:
Specifically:

Thanks in advance!
Quote:
Most of your questions are answered in the first sentence of my post, but I will reiterate:
What suspension in my price range will result in the fastest lap times in street class for 86 Cup for my dedicated track 86?
My preference is set it and forget it, as opposed to having to frequently adjust settings.
I drive an 86 in WRL, and have done time trials and W2W with NASA and WRL for the last 11 years in various cars. I instruct with NASA, BMW Club, and Porsche Club in my region.
Service interval: every three years, but more often if the rebuild costs are not prohibitive ($1000 or less.)

And you never know unless you ask-there may be someone out there who kept metrics between switching from stock to one or more track suspensions. After all, competitiveness and improvement can only be measured by data, so I don't think it's too much to ask.
Actually, you didn't. Re-read your two posts. None of us can read your mind. You've now made it clear that "best" to you means fastest lap time. Best to someone else, could have been best ride, or best range of damping, or best flexibility.

Set it and forget it will *never* yield the best result. Learning to turn the knobs will result in the best performance, always. Given your experience, I'm sure you've seen this before.

Fastest lap time in your price range for street class 86CUP? I don't know. What other mods do you plan on running? How will your car be trimmed? Context/scenario unclear. Again, it's clear you have an intent, but haven't communicated that to me, so I'm unable to really help you.

3 year service interval? What does that mean? How many hours/miles will go on the dampers? Hours/distance are the typical interval measurement metrics, not time. How often do you plan on driving the car and how long will you be driving it at each outing?

What kind of balance do you want? Can you quantify your experience with measurement and data in a "fastest lap times" format, rather than a years of experience and list of clubs format?

Want a specific answer? Give me specific information.

If you want a blind recommendation, go with some JRZ RS1's.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CSG Mike For This Useful Post:
gcmak (02-09-2021), therealstoly (02-08-2021)
Old 02-08-2021, 02:03 PM   #10
SCFD

Drives: FR-S
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
That's a pretty good budget to playing around with. I'm not familiar with the NASA/86 Cup time trials but based on the name it sounds like an established series dedicated to this platform.

Is there somebody's setup that you can just copy? That might be the easiest way as you'll likely end up with a more well-sorted setup based on your local tracks.
SCFD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2021, 02:11 PM   #11
CSG Mike

Here's a fan boy video with data.

The Following User Says Thank You to CSG Mike For This Useful Post:
SCFD (02-08-2021)
Old 02-08-2021, 02:19 PM   #12
tankslapper

What other consideration would there be besides fastest lap time? And what difference will it make what my lap times are, considering there are just as many variables associated with those as anything else we are discussing? Let's assume I'm comfortable driving a balanced and well-set up car at its limit.
I have heard from other 86 Cup members whose opinion I trust that you (Mike at CSG) are a good resource for all things performance-related as it pertains to the 86 platform. That said, I realize this post was misguided and not the best venue for my inquiry. I'll reach out personally when the time is right to you and other vendors to try to come to an informed decision re: a suspension.
Old 02-08-2021, 04:44 PM   #13
CSG Mike

Quote:
What other consideration would there be besides fastest lap time? And what difference will it make what my lap times are, considering there are just as many variables associated with those as anything else we are discussing? Let's assume I'm comfortable driving a balanced and well-set up car at its limit.
I have heard from other 86 Cup members whose opinion I trust that you (Mike at CSG) are a good resource for all things performance-related as it pertains to the 86 platform. That said, I realize this post was misguided and not the best venue for my inquiry. I'll reach out personally when the time is right to you and other vendors to try to come to an informed decision re: a suspension.
Everything on the car is a system. May folks will just blindly recommend whatever they sell or purchased for themselves.

I set up championship winning cars, as well as factory cars. I take into consideration everything that is on the car.

Tire grip. Tire model. Wheel used. Articulation. Clearance. Bump steer. Bushing deflection. Power output. Aero.

"Balanced and well set up" tends to be highly subjective, so I ask for the very same data and results that you asked for in your original post. I need to know what you like, if I am to make a recommendation for you.

I believe Pat will be (or already has) forwarded you my contact info. I think a conference call will be far more productive rather than a forum thread!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CSG Mike For This Useful Post:
Pat (02-08-2021), Tanstin (02-12-2021)
Old 02-08-2021, 06:11 PM   #14
Westen86
Purist

Drives: 2013 FRS - Hot Lava
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Garage
The answer to your question is:

**drumroll**

Racecomp Engineering Tarmac 2

...that was easy

RaceComp SS-1, Complete SuperPro bushings, TR Motorsport FF10 17x9 +45, GruppeS UEL, HKS Hi-Power V2, OFT(93/E85)
Westen86 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Westen86 For This Useful Post:
Racecomp Engineering (02-08-2021), smg1138 (02-11-2021)