follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine, Exhaust, Transmission

Engine, Exhaust, Transmission Discuss the FR-S | 86 | BRZ engine, exhaust and drivetrain.

User Tag List

Old 04-26-2017, 03:29 AM   #1
#my86build

Drives: FR-S
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
A review of my first engine setup. All the pros and cons.

Greetings,

I want to share my first engine build on my old 86. This is mainly for new people who have just purchased the car and are considering their engine setup. There are 5 products that I am about to review. I don't have any affiliation with any of the manufactures and these opinions are my own and they are just opinions.

1) Grimmspeed intake - Build quality is good, even though mine came shipped with a 1" scratch on the tube portion. No biggy, probably makes it faster lol. Did i notice a, whatever they claimed HP gain? No, no, I didn't. Did it delete the stupid sound tube? Yes, yes, it did.

Pros - No check engine light and my tuner said unlike most intakes, this one didn't F*#k things up.

Cons - None

2) Tomei UEL - Excellent build quality and fitment. Has a deep, throaty sound.

Pros - Subie rumble, no check engine light, noticeable difference in power and destroys the torque dip, once tuned.

Cons - Subie rumble is a hate/love relationship, for me.

3) Nameless 2.5" catted, resonated overpipe with Helmholtz resonator - The build quality was, meh. I purchased this piece mainly as 1/2 silencers for my Tomei UEL. The fitment was extremely close to the bottom of the engine block. We were only able to fit a piece of paper through the opening. This being said, when it was on the lift a couple of months later, after I abused my car, there was no dents or dings. Thing didn't really move.

Pros - 2 birds with 1 stone. The down pipe and front pipe in one.

Cons - The fitment was a little too close. If you go with the Helmholtz resonator, it will not clear a 3" driveshaft.

4) Perrin 2.5" resonated CB exhaust - Build quality was better than good, but not worthy of excellent. I've owned 2 of these things and would honestly purchase a third. Don't ask, long story. This was to be 2/2 silencers for my Tomei UEL and it worked. I personally love how it sounds like, nothing, by itself. Does it give you the HP they claim? No, no, it doesn't. Should you buy it? Do you want a mature sounding exhaust?

Pros - Shhhh. If you're planning on running a header, I personally recommend it. Fitment was great, no leaks. I call it, "a tasteful CB exhaust system".

Cons - The exhaust tips on the first one I purchased didn't sit 100% centre. Perrin will also not sell you the S pipe or muffler portion of their exhaust system, should you dent it. But, I'm not sure other manufactures will either.

5) Ecutek tune - Before the Ecutek tune, all these parts made 163.4 WHP on a Dyno Dynamics Dynamometer and 178.4 WHP after.

Pros - Racerom sounds awesome. Like our cars could be fast, but they're not. This is the best bang for buck mod. However, obviously not achievable without the other parts.

Cons - I have to purchase another license for my new 86. It's a shame you can't carry it over, but I do understand how consumers might take advantage of this.

P.S. Don't ever purchase car products from an American company with a Japanese name. That's like ordering Sushi from a Steakhouse.
#my86build is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to #my86build For This Useful Post:
BWilky (04-26-2017), omran (04-26-2017), RJasonKlein (04-27-2017), Sarang (04-29-2017), Teseo (04-28-2017), Trueweltall (04-29-2017)
Old 04-27-2017, 10:49 PM   #2
RJasonKlein

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S 10 Series
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
@#my86build, that was a thoughtful and helpful review. It's obvious you chose quality components and I hope you keep us posted as you further develop your car.
RJasonKlein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2017, 12:51 AM   #3
#my86build

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJasonKlein View Post
@#my86build, that was a thoughtful and helpful review. It's obvious you chose quality components and I hope you keep us posted as you further develop your car.
My pleasure. I hope to share some feedback on some new parts soon, but only if my wallet agrees with me.
The Following User Says Thank You to #my86build For This Useful Post:
RJasonKlein (04-29-2017)
Old 04-29-2017, 01:30 AM   #4
ApexEight

Drives: 2014 Subaru BRZ Limited 6MT SSM
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Cool thread. Did you get a baseline dyno of the car stock?
ApexEight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2017, 11:42 AM   #5
#my86build

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApexEight View Post
Cool thread. Did you get a baseline dyno of the car stock?
No, unfortunately I didn't, but I will with the new one. My guess would be 150.