follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB

Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB Problems, issues, recalls, TSBs

User Tag List

Old 06-02-2017, 07:31 PM   #85
humfrz

Drives: 2013 FR-S, white, MT
Thanked 31,827 Times in 16,429 Posts
Mentioned: 708 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cole View Post
I've put in over 140 hours of work these past 12 days, don't even give me that.

Also, @Ultramaroon, you can fuck right off too for liking hums post.

God damn old men...
Do you mean your time sheet shows 140 hours of work. Now, subtract the time that you had for lunches, stopped for coffee breaks, naps in the truck, recalibrating equipment (that you should have done during your down time this winter), time spent on the phone with your GF, time getting your truck unstuck and the time telling "stories" to your trainees about how tough the old days were.

I'll guess that will put you down to about 8 hours a day ....... an average days work for most folks.

...... that's for bad mouthing @Ultramaroon ...... who is too busy to mess wich you.

humfrz
humfrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2017, 07:46 PM   #86
strat61caster
-

Drives: '13 FRS - STX
Thanked 9,480 Times in 4,999 Posts
Mentioned: 94 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by humfrz View Post
I'll guess that will put you down to about 8 hours a day ....... an average days work for most folks.

...... that's for bad mouthing @Ultramaroon ...... who is too busy to mess wich you.

humfrz
lol like you old timers didn't cram all that into an 8 hour day and only did 4 hours of real work.

Had a boss who's favorite phrase was "I came in late this morning so I gotta leave early to make up for it!" He's probably only a few years younger than you.
strat61caster is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to strat61caster For This Useful Post:
Cole (06-02-2017), humfrz (06-03-2017)
Old 06-02-2017, 07:47 PM   #87
Cole
Not a troll

Drives: FR-S
Thanked 5,399 Times in 2,694 Posts
Mentioned: 266 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by humfrz View Post
Do you mean your time sheet shows 140 hours of work. Now, subtract the time that you had for lunches, stopped for coffee breaks, naps in the truck, recalibrating equipment (that you should have done during your down time this winter), time spent on the phone with your GF, time getting your truck unstuck and the time telling "stories" to your trainees about how tough the old days were.

humfrz
To be honest hum, when things go well, I don't have time to take a piss during work. Things are going exceddingly well, apart from stucking our trucks, but that's only a single set back. I'm on track to finish this current project 9 days early. You don't do that by sitting on your thumb.
Cole is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Cole For This Useful Post:
humfrz (06-02-2017)
Old 06-02-2017, 07:58 PM   #88
Edibrac

Drives: 15 Series.Blue
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Okay, this might get long.

A space saver tire on one axle of a torsen differential will rotate at a higher RPM than the larger one on the other side of the differential. We all know this.

A torsen allows the axles of the car to rotate at different speeds through the use of a set of worm gears for each axle. These worm gears are also meshed together with spur gears. So when one axle is spinning faster than the other, like in a corner or different sized tires, the worm gear of the faster axle causes the worm gear of the slow axle to spin and therefore spin the slow axle.

Now the worm gears and the helical gear on the axles have a certain ratio. There is a limit to how much the faster axle can make the slower axle rotate due to this ratio.

In our example there is a speed difference between the axles due to tire size. If the spare is of a slightly smaller size than normal, the torsen acts as if the car is constantly cornering. This is not good for the torsen because the worm gears are rotating constantly, because we have a speed difference in the axles. The worm gears have bearings that are not sized for constant use like the bearings for the axles are. They are small bearings. Rotation in bearings cause friction, which causes heat, regardless of lubrication there is still friction. A couple of corners is not enough to cause enough damage from heat since it is intermittent. However we are talking about constantly having one axle rotate faster than the other for a long time.

So if they can be ran for a short time like this, why do manufacturers advise against it? Simple. People are idiots. The average person might not see issue with running the spare on the drive axle and put off replacing the tire while they continue to drive every day. So instead of saying it might be okay if a bunch of specific conditions are met, they tell the owner to not do it at all.

Simple.
Edibrac is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Edibrac For This Useful Post:
humfrz (06-02-2017), navanodd (06-02-2017), Tcoat (06-02-2017), Ultramaroon (06-02-2017), WRBrzRX (06-02-2017)
Old 06-02-2017, 07:59 PM   #89
Cole
Not a troll

Drives: FR-S
Thanked 5,399 Times in 2,694 Posts
Mentioned: 266 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edibrac View Post

A space saver tire on one axle of a torsen differential will rotate at a higher RPM than the larger one on the other side of the differential. We all know this.

A torsen allows the axles of the car to rotate at different speeds through the use of a set of worm gears for each axle. These worm gears are also meshed together with spur gears. So when one axle is spinning faster than the other, like in a corner or different sized tires, the worm gear of the faster axle causes the worm gear of the slow axle to spin and therefore spin the slow axle.

Now the worm gears and the helical gear on the axles have a certain ratio. There is a limit to how much the faster axle can make the slower axle rotate due to this ratio.

In our example there is a speed difference between the axles due to tire size. If the spare is of a slightly smaller size than normal, the torsen acts as if the car is constantly cornering. This is not good for the torsen because the worm gears are rotating constantly, because we have a speed difference in the axles. The worm gears have bearings that are not sized for constant use like the bearings for the axles are. They are small bearings. Rotation in bearings cause friction, which causes heat, regardless of lubrication there is still friction. A couple of corners is not enough to cause enough damage from heat since it is intermittent. However we are talking about constantly having one axle rotate faster than the other for a long time.

So if they can be ran for a short time like this, why do manufacturers advise against it? Simple. People are idiots. The average person might not see issue with running the spare on the drive axle and put off replacing the tire while they continue to drive every day. So instead of saying it might be okay if a bunch of specific conditions are met, they tell the owner to not do it at all.

Simple.
Your logic can get fucked. A certain member here knows much more than you. You're an idiot.
Cole is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cole For This Useful Post:
Tcoat (06-02-2017), WRBrzRX (06-02-2017)
Old 06-02-2017, 08:04 PM   #90
Edibrac

Whoops, sorry. Forgot about that.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Edibrac For This Useful Post:
Cole (06-02-2017), Tcoat (06-02-2017), Ultramaroon (06-02-2017), WRBrzRX (06-02-2017)
Old 06-02-2017, 08:14 PM   #91
humfrz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cole View Post
To be honest hum, when things go well, I don't have time to take a piss during work. Things are going exceddingly well, apart from stucking our trucks, but that's only a single set back. I'm on track to finish this current project 9 days early. You don't do that by sitting on your thumb.
Good job ! .......

humfrz
The Following User Says Thank You to humfrz For This Useful Post:
Cole (06-02-2017)
Old 06-02-2017, 08:21 PM   #92
humfrz

Quote:

Simple.
Well stated .....

humfrz
Old 06-02-2017, 08:29 PM   #93
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,284 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2495 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:

Simple.
Exactly! Although you wasted your time writing it out since the response will be more misunderstood, plagiarized first year apprentice text book excerpts saying how you are wrong. There will be not one solid shred of evidence produced to prove you wrong though.
Cole (06-02-2017), Edibrac (06-02-2017), WRBrzRX (06-02-2017)
Old 06-02-2017, 08:38 PM   #94
Edibrac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
Exactly! Although you wasted your time writing it out since the response will be more misunderstood, plagiarized first year apprentice text book excerpts saying how you are wrong. There will be not one solid shred of evidence produced to prove you wrong though.
Very true but it did kill an hour of my layover. So I got that going for me.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Edibrac For This Useful Post:
Cole (06-02-2017), nextcar (06-02-2017), Tcoat (06-02-2017), Ultramaroon (06-02-2017), WRBrzRX (06-02-2017)
Old 06-02-2017, 09:25 PM   #95
Ultramaroon
義理チョコ

Drives: a 13 e8h frs
Thanked 36,522 Times in 18,923 Posts
Mentioned: 1107 Post(s)
Tagged: 9 Thread(s)
Quote:

Simple.
Thank you. That's exactly what I've been trying to say.

I think.
Old 06-02-2017, 10:01 PM   #96
nextcar
Guilt free parts vulture!

Drives: 2013 FR-S - Asphalt 6MT
Thanked 1,764 Times in 934 Posts
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Please allow me to summarize this thread for the moderators and anyone else that does not have time to read it all:
Attached Images

nextcar is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to nextcar For This Useful Post:
bcj (06-02-2017), Cole (06-02-2017), humfrz (06-03-2017), Tcoat (06-02-2017), Ultramaroon (06-02-2017)
Old 06-02-2017, 10:23 PM   #97
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,284 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2495 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kronos View Post
So the short of it is my last set of tires I wore down till they were nearly bald and then I ran over a nail so I had to write on a donut for about a week. I just got new tires installed Kumho ecsta31 and now my car sways like a boat on the highway. Anything above 45. Any thoughts?
Quote:
Originally Posted by nextcar View Post
Please allow me to summarize this thread for the moderators and anyone else that does not have time to read it all:
Technically stayed on topic throughout the whole mess. More than normal actually.
Old 06-02-2017, 10:31 PM   #98
nextcar
Guilt free parts vulture!

Drives: 2013 FR-S - Asphalt 6MT
Thanked 1,764 Times in 934 Posts
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
Technically stayed on topic throughout the whole mess. More than normal actually.
A low bar indeed! But like killing time on a layover, I am killing time on a flight... so I cannot stop watching even though I know how this will end.

Edit: I would not say it stayed on topic the whole time unless @Cole works inside a Torsten and we actually witnessed him heating up due to resistance...
nextcar is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to nextcar For This Useful Post:
Cole (06-02-2017), Ultramaroon (06-02-2017)