follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Tracking / Autocross / HPDE / Drifting

Tracking / Autocross / HPDE / Drifting What these cars were built for!

User Tag List

Old 04-05-2014, 05:17 PM   #1
Luftmeister

Drives: 2013 Hot Lava FR-S
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Red face Next Upgrade?

Hi Everyone,

I run about 10 events per season, plus a couple of HPDE. I daily drive the car in warm weather only. I have fun when I AutoX and want to be competitive, but I'm not going to nationals...

Currently, I have:
17x9 Rota DPT with Direzza Z2 245/45-17

What is my next upgrade? I do have the budget (barely) for KW Variant 3 but if there are other things I can/should do first, I'd certainly entertain it. (Bars, bushings, etc)

That would certainly erase the remaining mod budget for this season.

If there is also a more economical coilover which is close to the KW3 all the better.

Thanks,

-Jim
Luftmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2014, 07:21 PM   #2
frslee
Just drive it

Drives: 13' FR-S
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Choice of your spring + koni dampers?
frslee is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to frslee For This Useful Post:
Pokeguyjai (04-06-2014)
Old 04-05-2014, 07:27 PM   #3
fooddude
Banned

Drives: 04 Toyota Tacoma Prerunner Reg Cab
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
I've been reading nothing but great things about Fortune Auto 500/510

But, be advised, like Mike said... It could be a case of 'the Story of the Frog in the Well' ...but, great praise nonetheless and affordable.

I'd really love to hear more opinions/experiences about FA coilovers on this track/autox-focused board particularly (vs the suspension board, which is a heavy mix of dd/comfort-focus interest).
fooddude is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to fooddude For This Useful Post:
Pokeguyjai (04-06-2014)
Old 04-07-2014, 12:32 PM   #4
Luftmeister

Frog in the well

Well, so long as I don't LOSE performance over stock. I've known people who have certainly fallen into that well. I'm a function over form guy.
Old 04-07-2014, 01:01 PM   #5
CSG David

Drives: S2000 CR
Thanked 1,721 Times in 956 Posts
Mentioned: 173 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luftmeister View Post
Hi Everyone,

I run about 10 events per season, plus a couple of HPDE. I daily drive the car in warm weather only. I have fun when I AutoX and want to be competitive, but I'm not going to nationals...

Currently, I have:
17x9 Rota DPT with Direzza Z2 245/45-17

What is my next upgrade? I do have the budget (barely) for KW Variant 3 but if there are other things I can/should do first, I'd certainly entertain it. (Bars, bushings, etc)

That would certainly erase the remaining mod budget for this season.

If there is also a more economical coilover which is close to the KW3 all the better.

Thanks,

-Jim
Run stock and figure out ways to get more camber. Learn how to drive your car and figure out what your car really needs. Without proper dialing, the KW V3 may be a limitation rather than an enhancement. If you plan to be competitive as well, you'll want more than a KW V3 setup. Look into brake pads, good tires, and camber adjustable setups. Also, find out what class you want to run in. This will help dictate your car's setup as well.

In other words, maximize current setup rather than buying random parts thinking it'll make you go faster.
CSG David is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CSG David For This Useful Post:
forwallblakmail (04-07-2014), retrosmiths (04-07-2014)
Old 04-07-2014, 01:08 PM   #6
forwallblakmail
Troll Level: Expert

Drives: '13 BRZ, '18 F150 3.5EB, '07 Cayman
Don't underestimate the stock suspension.
NASA ST5/TT5 #130
Southeast Region
forwallblakmail is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to forwallblakmail For This Useful Post:
fooddude (04-07-2014)
Old 04-07-2014, 02:46 PM   #7
Luftmeister

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSG David View Post
Run stock and figure out ways to get more camber. Learn how to drive your car and figure out what your car really needs. Without proper dialing, the KW V3 may be a limitation rather than an enhancement. If you plan to be competitive as well, you'll want more than a KW V3 setup. Look into brake pads, good tires, and camber adjustable setups. Also, find out what class you want to run in. This will help dictate your car's setup as well.

In other words, maximize current setup rather than buying random parts thinking it'll make you go faster.
Thanks David, sound advice. I certainly don't want to simply throw money at it since tightening the nut behind the wheel is always the first step. I would probably say this is going to be an STX car, but I do it mostly for fun.

Aside from camber plates how does one get more camber out of this car? I'll admit I liked the suggestion regarding the Fortune Auto 500's because it seemed to fit the bill and allows me to add camber.

I should have mentioned that I did swap the fluid out for Super Blue and do have a set of Ferodo DS2500 Pads which I used on for the HPDE lapping.

Thanks,

-Jim
Old 04-07-2014, 03:52 PM   #8
glamcem

Drives: 2022 BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by fooddude View Post
I've been reading nothing but great things about Fortune Auto 500/510

But, be advised, like Mike said... It could be a case of 'the Story of the Frog in the Well' ...but, great praise nonetheless and affordable.

I'd really love to hear more opinions/experiences about FA coilovers on this track/autox-focused board particularly (vs the suspension board, which is a heavy mix of dd/comfort-focus interest).
well, soon you'll hear about my review on them since I recently ordered my FA 500 with 9k/9k swift springs and radial bearing upgrades
glamcem is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to glamcem For This Useful Post:
fooddude (04-07-2014)
Old 04-07-2014, 03:55 PM   #9
fooddude
Banned

Drives: 04 Toyota Tacoma Prerunner Reg Cab
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
@glamcem: Nice!! I look forward to your write-up ...especially since I am considering which rates to go with - f/r, 8/8, 8/9, 9/9, 10/10 or 10/11 ...9/9 sounds like a great all-rounder and in-between
fooddude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 04:19 PM   #10
TrqlessWonder

Drives: 2014 FR-S
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luftmeister View Post
Thanks David, sound advice. I certainly don't want to simply throw money at it since tightening the nut behind the wheel is always the first step. I would probably say this is going to be an STX car, but I do it mostly for fun.

Aside from camber plates how does one get more camber out of this car? I'll admit I liked the suggestion regarding the Fortune Auto 500's because it seemed to fit the bill and allows me to add camber.
Check out the C-Street discussion thread. By all means, do your own research, but the cheapest way to add camber is right there on page one. The factory crash bolts. I think mine were $15, shipped. It'll get you some negative, just not as much as plates can.
#24 CS/CSR
TrqlessWonder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 04:19 PM   #11
retrosmiths

Drives: Scion FR-S Whiteout
Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSG David View Post

(I didn't mean to threadjack, but..)

So, I already got camber bolts + rear LCA's, with -1.25F/-1.5R camber. Should I get camber plates instead and push my settings to -2.5-ish on the stock suspension, or get coils which might also do that AND also lower my COG?
Old 04-07-2014, 04:20 PM   #12
glamcem

Drives: 2022 BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by fooddude View Post
@glamcem: Nice!! I look forward to your write-up ...especially since I am considering which rates to go with - f/r, 8/8, 8/9, 9/9, 10/10 or 10/11 ...9/9 sounds like a great all-rounder and in-between
Sure no problem, I was advised to use 10k/10k for my specific setup as my car will see 15-20 HPDE this year but since this will also be my DD and I was initially thinking to get 8k/8k I figured 9k/9k would be a nice middle ground ..
glamcem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 04:25 PM   #13
CSG David

Drives: S2000 CR
Thanked 1,721 Times in 956 Posts
Mentioned: 173 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by retrosmiths View Post
(I didn't mean to threadjack, but..)

So, I already got camber bolts + rear LCA's, with -1.25F/-1.5R camber. Should I get camber plates instead and push my settings to -2.5-ish on the stock suspension, or get coils which might also do that AND also lower my COG?
Learn how to control the weight transfer and you can use the settings to your advantage. Getting coilovers in the future means you will probably have camber plates on them to achieve your desired alignment setting. @CSG Mike was running 2:07s at CVR in the CW configuration in December using stock tires and crash bolts (installed morning of) with the JRSC kit. It also means everybody else has room for improvement.
CSG David is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CSG David For This Useful Post:
retrosmiths (04-07-2014)