follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 2nd Gens: GR86 and BRZ > GR86 General Topics (2nd Gen 2022+ Toyota 86)

GR86 General Topics (2nd Gen 2022+ Toyota 86) General topics for the GR86 second-gen 86

User Tag List

Old 10-23-2023, 03:40 PM   #1107
fredzy
Mebmer

Drives: Sienna, GR86, FL5
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jordanwolf View Post
My FK8 sits in a weird position, while it makes lots of sense to daily it still and have a BRZ for track instead, I’d rather the FK8 be saved from snow and salt instead of the easily obtainable and cheaper BRZ. Had I not this dilemma of weather, I’d do just that.

An FL5 would be a great daily or even just a great car to compliment the BRZ like you say, it’s a much more luxury place to sit and can easily be driven very lax and.. grandpa like. If it made sense to have two type R I probably would.
To salt or not to salt an FL5.. I really bent my brain out of shape last year over that, very similar dilemma. I was locked in @ $5k markup, which is still about as good as it gets a year later. So looking at over $50k for a FWD car I will have to use year round unless I get ANOTHER car as dedicated winter beater. I felt stupid enough having one vehicle that's useless for half the year so it wasn't sitting great.

I had just about made up my mind to wait on Type R until markups receded (how's that working out?) to help justify some kind of beater but then an MSRP GR Corolla fell into my lap and I said screw it, makes more sense for me. I have no reservations about mucking it up. Being like $12k cheaper was also nice.
fredzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2023, 11:33 AM   #1108
mazeroni

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S Series 10
Thanked 1,017 Times in 512 Posts
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
95K miles. Relatively low running costs thus far. No debt. Insurance is cheap. It is so nice not having to care about bird poop and and people dinging my doors.

Just had a rear differential service done. Replacing the tires this weekend with some cheap Firestone A/S tires because I am 35 now and for whatever reason that means I drive under the speed limit and take corners at a reasonable speed and rather be safe than sorry.

If I can get a few more years out of it without any major costs, I think I'll be super happy. I did want a GR86 Premium, but now I am kind of meh on the whole thing.

My sights are actually now set on a new Frontier. I feel like that could end up being a forever truck since that platform has been around forever.
mazeroni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2023, 09:38 AM   #1109
OkieSnuffBox

Drives: '23 BRZ Limited
Thanked 1,230 Times in 703 Posts
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mazeroni View Post
95K miles. Relatively low running costs thus far. No debt. Insurance is cheap. It is so nice not having to care about bird poop and and people dinging my doors.

Just had a rear differential service done. Replacing the tires this weekend with some cheap Firestone A/S tires because I am 35 now and for whatever reason that means I drive under the speed limit and take corners at a reasonable speed and rather be safe than sorry.

If I can get a few more years out of it without any major costs, I think I'll be super happy. I did want a GR86 Premium, but now I am kind of meh on the whole thing.

My sights are actually now set on a new Frontier. I feel like that could end up being a forever truck since that platform has been around forever.
Is it the same platform? I know it's a new engine vs the the 4.0 V6 that was in my '11 Pro-4X.
Old 10-25-2023, 12:39 PM   #1110
menikmati

Drives: 2015 BRZ, 2005 STI
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by fredzy View Post
To salt or not to salt an FL5.. I really bent my brain out of shape last year over that, very similar dilemma. I was locked in @ $5k markup, which is still about as good as it gets a year later. So looking at over $50k for a FWD car I will have to use year round unless I get ANOTHER car as dedicated winter beater. I felt stupid enough having one vehicle that's useless for half the year so it wasn't sitting great.

I had just about made up my mind to wait on Type R until markups receded (how's that working out?) to help justify some kind of beater but then an MSRP GR Corolla fell into my lap and I said screw it, makes more sense for me. I have no reservations about mucking it up. Being like $12k cheaper was also nice.
I hate that the car market has gotten to the point where $5k markup on a FL5 is considered a good deal, but that's how it is. I'm currently sitting on a waitlist for MSRP and have moved up one position in ~10 months, so I don't really have my hopes up. Current interest rates don't help, either.

When/if the time comes, I will have to make the decision of keeping my 05 STI or going for the FL5.
menikmati is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to menikmati For This Useful Post:
fredzy (10-26-2023), Jordanwolf (10-25-2023)
Old 10-25-2023, 12:44 PM   #1111
Jordanwolf
Rice King

Drives: '19 FWD master race CTR
Thanked 2,001 Times in 1,203 Posts
Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:

Have you had the chance to drive a Type R on any sort of closed circuit? It’s one of those cars the actually makes you forget it’s FWD. I only bring it up because I see and hear the FWD thing being a negative aspect all too often, but when you realize that a Type R, most notably FK8 and FL5 both rotate better and accelerate better than the vast majority of similarly priced (ignore markups for a sec) RWD/AWD sporty cars on the market these day, all it does is make me believe most people aren’t all that enthusiastic about cars these days.

Let me be clear though, the Type R is a very clear exception in the FWD world when talking stock. Those funky Hyundais are apparently quite lively too, not driven one though, and over in Europe land the Megane is praised.

I might be weird, but in all honesty, I think for me AWD is completely out of the picture now, it’s only FWD or RWD for me and that would look something like: Type R, Si(with mods), BRZ, M2 and Supra…. And any 2010+ RWD Porsche.
Old 10-25-2023, 01:02 PM   #1112
Jordanwolf
Rice King

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by menikmati View Post
I hate that the car market has gotten to the point where $5k markup on a FL5 is considered a good deal, but that's how it is. I'm currently sitting on a waitlist for MSRP and have moved up one position in ~10 months, so I don't really have my hopes up. Current interest rates don't help, either.

When/if the time comes, I will have to make the decision of keeping my 05 STI or going for the FL5.
FL5, and I say that knowing entirely that my bias is very apparent. Maybe not at a 5k markup, but the state of the market is obviously dire.

STi’s are a thing of the past, literally.
Old 10-25-2023, 01:07 PM   #1113
menikmati

Drives: 2015 BRZ, 2005 STI
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
FL5, and I say that knowing entirely that my bias is very apparent. Maybe not at a 5k markup, but the state of the market is obviously dire.

STi’s are a thing of the past, literally.
The FL5 in CW is my dream.

The EJ is a fucking dinosaur of an engine and I honestly think it overstayed its welcome as the generations went by.

I am biased towards the UEL sound, though. It excites something in my brain that I can't explain.
menikmati is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to menikmati For This Useful Post:
Jordanwolf (10-27-2023)
Old 10-25-2023, 02:08 PM   #1114
Lantanafrs2

Drives: 2013 frs red
Thanked 3,088 Times in 1,654 Posts
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by menikmati View Post
The FL5 in CW is my dream.

The EJ is a fucking dinosaur of an engine and I honestly think it overstayed its welcome as the generations went by.

I am biased towards the UEL sound, though. It excites something in my brain that I can't explain.
Misfire fetish
Lantanafrs2 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Lantanafrs2 For This Useful Post:
Jordanwolf (10-27-2023)
Old 10-26-2023, 02:48 PM   #1115
fredzy
Mebmer

Drives: Sienna, GR86, FL5
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quote:
Have you had the chance to drive a Type R on any sort of closed circuit? It’s one of those cars the actually makes you forget it’s FWD. I only bring it up because I see and hear the FWD thing being a negative aspect all too often, but when you realize that a Type R, most notably FK8 and FL5 both rotate better and accelerate better than the vast majority of similarly priced (ignore markups for a sec) RWD/AWD sporty cars on the market these day, all it does is make me believe most people aren’t all that enthusiastic about cars these days.

Let me be clear though, the Type R is a very clear exception in the FWD world when talking stock. Those funky Hyundais are apparently quite lively too, not driven one though, and over in Europe land the Megane is praised.

I might be weird, but in all honesty, I think for me AWD is completely out of the picture now, it’s only FWD or RWD for me and that would look something like: Type R, Si(with mods), BRZ, M2 and Supra…. And any 2010+ RWD Porsche.
Oh yeah FWD doesn't really cost FL5 any points in the performance/fun department for me. It's only a ding against it from DD perspective since I'm in the snow belt. That's not even a big W for the Corolla since I don't do any crazy inclement weather driving, it's just a nice to have for the couple of really hairy days per season. Snow tires take care of most of that issue to where AWD isn't a big deal.

Maybe AWD influences the character of the GRC more than I'd guess and accounts for a lot of what's fun about it (it is definitely a blast.) I've never gone into FWD/limp mode yet to see.

Reality is FL5 or GRC, neither would ever see track time, only GR86 will. So characteristics that make a fun daily are weighted more for me than outright performance and I think that would keep them on a similar level. I'm trying not to give it much space in my head haha, I can't imagine actually chasing an FL5 again
fredzy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to fredzy For This Useful Post:
Jordanwolf (10-27-2023)
Old 10-26-2023, 08:32 PM   #1116
ZDan

Drives: '23 BRZ
Thanked 3,891 Times in 2,032 Posts
Mentioned: 85 Post(s)
fwd will always suck. If I can’t power slide it I’m not interested…
ZDan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ZDan For This Useful Post:
Arthur-A (10-27-2023), Ultramaroon (10-27-2023)
Old 10-27-2023, 08:15 AM   #1117
Jordanwolf
Rice King

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZDan View Post
fwd will always suck. If I can’t power slide it I’m not interested…
Why would you get a BRZ then if power sliding is so important?
The Following User Says Thank You to Jordanwolf For This Useful Post:
Ultramaroon (10-27-2023)
Old 10-27-2023, 08:25 AM   #1118
Jordanwolf
Rice King

Garage
Quote:
Oh yeah FWD doesn't really cost FL5 any points in the performance/fun department for me. It's only a ding against it from DD perspective since I'm in the snow belt. That's not even a big W for the Corolla since I don't do any crazy inclement weather driving, it's just a nice to have for the couple of really hairy days per season. Snow tires take care of most of that issue to where AWD isn't a big deal.

Maybe AWD influences the character of the GRC more than I'd guess and accounts for a lot of what's fun about it (it is definitely a blast.) I've never gone into FWD/limp mode yet to see.

Reality is FL5 or GRC, neither would ever see track time, only GR86 will. So characteristics that make a fun daily are weighted more for me than outright performance and I think that would keep them on a similar level. I'm trying not to give it much space in my head haha, I can't imagine actually chasing an FL5 again
It’s a shame, FL5 and GRC are cars to be experienced at least once on the track, but if stars don’t align then I get it.

A fun daily is for sure important and FWD can often times feel muted on your regular old drives to and from, so a GRC is definitely a great choice for that, especially in a good snow storm hehe… oh and let me tell you about how bad FWD launches are unless in absolutely perfect conditions and zero mechanical sympathy.
The Following User Says Thank You to Jordanwolf For This Useful Post:
fredzy (10-30-2023)
Old 10-27-2023, 09:08 AM   #1119
ZDan

Drives: '23 BRZ
Thanked 3,891 Times in 2,032 Posts
Mentioned: 85 Post(s)
Quote:
Why would you get a BRZ then if power sliding is so important?
Powerslides are a regular occurrence at the track, overcook corner a bit and *wheeee*! Seldom intentionally as trying to set faster times, but still fun to hang it out for a bit once in a while
ZDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2023, 12:57 PM   #1120
Ultramaroon
義理チョコ

Drives: a 13 e8h frs
Thanked 36,521 Times in 18,922 Posts
Mentioned: 1107 Post(s)
Tagged: 9 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZDan View Post
Powerslides are a regular occurrence at the track, overcook corner a bit and *wheeee*! Seldom intentionally as trying to set faster times, but still fun to hang it out for a bit once in a while