follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Off-Topic Discussions > Other Vehicles & General Automotive Discussions

Other Vehicles & General Automotive Discussions Discuss all other cars and automotive news here.

View Poll Results: What name should Toyota use for the production Toyota FT-1?
Supra gets my vote! 367 74.59%
I don't know, but its time for a new name. 125 25.41%
Voters: 492. You may not vote on this poll

User Tag List

Closed Thread

Old 04-28-2014, 06:57 AM   #631
regal

Drives: Scion FR-S/Toyota Yaris
Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
It looks like a Z06 chassis?

Mods:
Clear fender side lights
Tactrix ZA1JB01C 2014 Calib
Old 04-28-2014, 10:09 PM   #632
KAR

Drives: Whiteout 6spd
Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by vh_supra26 View Post
Aww ok
As soon as I hear whether its a straight six TT or a V8, Ill keep us posted
The Following User Says Thank You to KAR For This Useful Post:
vh_supra26 (04-29-2014)
Old 04-29-2014, 12:34 AM   #633
torqdork

Drives: RV-7
Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by KAR View Post
In my position, sadly I have to keep my lips sealed
Can you say what materials they're using for the bodywork? The skin has so many compound curves I'm thinking some kind of composite.
Old 04-29-2014, 12:42 AM   #634
KAR

Quote:
Originally Posted by torqdork View Post
Can you say what materials they're using for the bodywork? The skin has so many compound curves I'm thinking some kind of composite.
that door going to be really hard to replicate in metal form..
Old 04-29-2014, 04:46 PM   #635
vh_supra26
Site Moderator

Drives: Supra
Thanked 2,181 Times in 964 Posts
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by regal View Post
It looks like a Z06 chassis?
I don't know, I don't think the C7 is as sleek or as round as FT-1.

Old 04-29-2014, 05:20 PM   #636
Boxer486
Banned

Drives: small
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by KAR View Post
that door going to be really hard to replicate in metal form..
Stuff like that is my biggest worry about how the final Supra comes out.

I think it's time Toyota got to innovating and made it so they can economically produce concept car lines. It's getting to be a real disappointment when these concept cars get watered down.
Old 04-29-2014, 10:55 PM   #637
KAR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxer486 View Post
Stuff like that is my biggest worry about how the final Supra comes out.

I think it's time Toyota got to innovating and made it so they can economically produce concept car lines. It's getting to be a real disappointment when these concept cars get watered down.
well in their defense, the twins came out gorgeous
Old 04-29-2014, 11:07 PM   #638
ProjectGT86

Drives: Fire Storm Red Slush box gt86/frs
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bristecom View Post
This is what I think:

I would like to see a BMW/Toyota joint effort with an inline-6 engine. One affordable model (30-40k USD) with a naturally aspirated I6 engine and one turbo I6 model (40-50k USD). Affordability is key though. There's no point in making another car for the ultra-rich like the Nissan GTR and Porsche 911's, as 98% of the population cannot afford it so it'd be nothing but a tease.

The engine and aerodynamics should be tuned by the TMG team that designed the F1 and Le Mans cars for more performance and prestige. The engine note should be tuned by Yamaha like the LFA for F1-esque sounds. Make it look very similar to the last Mk4 Supra (curvy, aerodynamic, sporty). Transmission options should include a manual and dual clutch. The chassis should just be steel but with aluminum hood, roof, trunk, and aluminum or plastic front fenders. Use aluminum in areas of unsprung weight such as suspension arms/links, knuckles, and dampers. Use Brembo aluminum fixed calipers with two-piece discs and forged BBS wheels (Washi Beam Japan). Use double wishbone and/or multi-link based front and rear suspension (instead of MacPherson strut).

Also, do not make it too wide or too long (around 1800mm wide and 2600mm wheelbase). Big cars tend to spoil the fun on the road and add weight. But having 2 small folding seats in the rear would help justify practicality for many. 225/45/18 is a good tire size to base it on and Michelin Pilot Super Sport tires are recommended. Same size tires front and rear would be nice for easier rotations, affordability, and playfulness (at least for the non-turbo model). Make sure the steering wheel has enough feedback and the handling is very predictable with a smooth and responsive power band without electronic traction and stability controls interfering too much. A limited slip differential should be standard. Also, make electronic systems programmable/customizable by driver in head unit. The Lexus LFA based digital display gauge would be an attractive choice.

The car should essentially be a bigger brother to the GT86 and more of a competitor to the Nissan 370Z (for the non-turbo) and the base Cayman & Corvette (for the turbo model). If you get the styling, engine sounds, and performance/fun factor right at a low enough price, it could be a legendary and very successful car.
Toyota Already said that it will be in production and have a pricetag of around 60K now im assuming that will be for a turbo model, not sure what the base model price will be thats assuming there is even a base model with a different engine configuration
The Following User Says Thank You to ProjectGT86 For This Useful Post:
gymratter (05-01-2014)
Old 04-29-2014, 11:39 PM   #639
torqdork

Drives: RV-7
Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProjectGT86 View Post
Toyota Already said that it will be in production and have a pricetag of around 60K now im assuming that will be for a turbo model, not sure what the base model price will be thats assuming there is even a base model with a different engine configuration
I didn't know it got the green light or that there will be different powerplants. Any idea when it's going into production?
Old 04-30-2014, 02:42 AM   #640
Ashybone

Drives: 97 Camry & 91 3000GT VR4
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
So lookie what I found....

http://www.autoguide.com/auto-news/2...neer-says.html

I made sure today wasn't April 1st and double checked the bottom of the post lol. But this is good news to me.

Quote:
“I think current hybrid technology is not good for road sports cars,” FR-S chief engineer Tetsuya Tada said during an interview with Top Gear.

The Scion FR-S has reminded the buying public that Toyota can make spectacular sports cars. With the limited power and small footprint of the FR-S, there is a tremendous opening in the automaker’s product line for a larger and more powerful sports car. The FR-S features various references to the classic AE-86, this hole could be filled by a car with an even more important model name from Toyota’s past: the Supra.
Old 04-30-2014, 12:06 PM   #641
Boxer486
Banned

Well he's right when talking about Toyota's Synergy drive. Not Toyota's Le Mans KERS system or something similar to the McLaren P1 which in most people's opinions is the most capable supercar ever made in history. Hell, even Ferrari had to go back to the drawing board before their supercar LaFerrari was even released because they knew the P1 would crush it. I think the Porsche 918 shows Hybrids done not so well and the P1, just right. You can see how important hybrid power can be especially for turbo cars below.

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kb8tGX-HPQE"]The McLaren P1 Test. On Road and Track - /CHRIS HARRIS ON CARS - YouTube[/ame]

Considering Toyota's and the Supra's turbo legacy, a hybrid turbo sports car makes too much sense if they can do it right at the right price.
Old 04-30-2014, 01:38 PM   #642
chrisl

Drives: 2006 Cayman S, 2007 Outback 2.5i
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxer486 View Post
I think the Porsche 918 shows Hybrids done not so well and the P1, just right.
I won't deny that the P1 is done well, but I'm curious what exactly about the Porsche makes you think it is done "not so well"? If anything, as a hybrid system, I would say the Porsche is a better implementation, since the P1 doesn't have regenerative braking and the Porsche does (one of the main benefits of hybrids).

Last edited by chrisl; 04-30-2014 at 01:49 PM.
Old 04-30-2014, 02:02 PM   #643
Boxer486
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisl View Post
I won't deny that the P1 is done well, but I'm curious what exactly about the Porsche makes you think it is done "not so well"? If anything, as a hybrid system, I would say the Porsche is a better implementation, since the P1 doesn't have regenerative braking and the Porsche does (one of the main benefits of hybrids).
Only that it's slower and heavier. Should change that to "not AS well". Also the P1 seems to employ throttle sharpening better with its system mapping it seems.

Apparently McLaren felt regen brakes ruin brake feel in such a car and I'd have to agree as one who also has a hybrid, so that would not be ideal for the Supra but might be necessary if they wanted to keep up the SoC.
Old 04-30-2014, 02:27 PM   #644
Levi

Drives: Toyota
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
As I constantly say, everything lies in the purpose and the execution. Hybrid can be good for fuel saving, and they can be good for performance, but they can't be both, tade-offs have to be made, but that goes for ICE too. A good hybrid system for a sportscar is expensive, and we don't want the Supra to be expensive. But Toyota is know for hybrids, so you think they want to build a hybrid sportscar? Yes, they are to. The ultimate car that will crash Ferrari, McLaren and Porsche will be the LFA II, NA 5.3l V10 + Hybrid.

Closed Thread

Tags
bmwforsuckers, boring-zzzzzzzzzzzzz, brz, celica supra confirmed, frs, ft-1, hatch-y +1, morethanucanaffordpal, nomanualnogo, supra, toyota, twins, watstheretailon1ofthose