follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Cosmetic Modification (Interior/Exterior/Lighting)

Cosmetic Modification (Interior/Exterior/Lighting) Discussions about cosmetic mods.

User Tag List

Old 07-22-2020, 02:51 PM   #1
mackattack55

Drives: 2015 Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Vland Headlight Installation

Has anybody on here installed Vland headlights on theyre FRS/BRZ?
mackattack55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2020, 07:58 AM   #2
sharpsicle
Certs You Dont Care About

Drives: 2013 Galaxy Blue BRZ
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Yes

Is there something you need help with?
sharpsicle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2020, 08:09 AM   #3
Sam86

Drives: Toyota 86 GTS
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Many videos on youtube and many people on here have done it. Check the compatibility of it for your FRS/86/BRZ and it'll either be plug and play or require some quick connectors/ wiring.

For me personally, my 2016 Toyota 86 was plug and play, no wiring required. Might be different for FRS's
Sam86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2020, 11:58 AM   #4
Dadhawk
1st86 Driver!

Drives: '13 FR-S (#3 of 1st 86)
Thanked 24,939 Times in 11,376 Posts
Mentioned: 182 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Sounds like this is another vendor who plays a little loose with the "plug and play" moniker. For the earlier FR-S it appears these require some tapping to get the DRL's to run.

Too bad because I was leaning towards these, but i'm looking for one that doesn't require rigging to work.

Visit my Owner's Journal where I wax philosophic on all things FR-S
Post your 86 or see others in front of a(n) (in)famous landmark.
What fits in your 86? Show us the "Junk In Your Trunk".
Dadhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2020, 09:45 PM   #5
Irace86.2.0

Drives: Q5 + BRZ + M796
Thanked 5,805 Times in 3,299 Posts
Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mackattack55 View Post
Has anybody on here installed Vland headlights on theyre FRS/BRZ?
No, never, and I believe you meant to use 'their'.

http://letmegooglethat.com/?q=vland+...3Aft86club.com
Old 07-26-2020, 12:09 AM   #6
FRSBRZGT86FAN

Drives: 2023 GR SUPRA,15 FR-S (SOLD)
Thanked 2,100 Times in 1,397 Posts
Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dadhawk View Post
Sounds like this is another vendor who plays a little loose with the "plug and play" moniker. For the earlier FR-S it appears these require some tapping to get the DRL's to run.

Too bad because I was leaning towards these, but i'm looking for one that doesn't require rigging to work.

Yep, and people used to tap other lighting portions to have them come on with them like the front turn signals and what not.

I helped a friend tap his car and for whatever reason I just don't like the idea of tapping the OEM wiring. Have a feeling later on down the road you may have issues.
*SOLD*OFT Stage 2 UEL E85/Nameless Performance 3 inch axleback with 5 inch mufflers/ TRD CAI / CNT UEL/ Cusco Strut BAR & LHD Brake Stop / "JDM" Toyota Badges / WinJet JDM headlights - DRL MOD from fteightysix.com - 5000K Diode Dynamics HID kit / Diode Dynamics LED interior Lights and sidemarker bulbs / JDM Clear Sidemarkers / Diode Dynamics LED switchbacks/ OLM LED rear turn signals / Tap Turn Relay*SOLD*
FRSBRZGT86FAN is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to FRSBRZGT86FAN For This Useful Post:
Dadhawk (07-26-2020)
Old 07-27-2020, 10:21 AM   #7
hpanju

Drives: 2016 Subaru BRZ
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
For my BRZ it was completely plug and play. Mine used an 8 pin connector which is what comes with the VLANDS. Turn signals for my car are also in the headlights unlike FRS. For the FRS you’ll need to use the supplied 8-pin to 6-pin conversion piece and splice into the turn signals in your fog light area in order to have the sequential signals in the headlights
hpanju is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2020, 10:34 AM   #8
Dadhawk
1st86 Driver!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hpanju View Post
For the FRS you’ll need to use the supplied 8-pin to 6-pin conversion piece and splice into the turn signals in your fog light area in order to have the sequential signals in the headlights
Except, they could have just as easily extended the conversion piece to plug into the turn signals rather than having to splice. That's my point. I suppose I could build my own, but if you are making a kit specifically for a car why would you go 99% of the way there, then not complete it?

Old 07-27-2020, 02:29 PM   #9
sharpsicle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dadhawk View Post
Except, they could have just as easily extended the conversion piece to plug into the turn signals rather than having to splice. That's my point. I suppose I could build my own, but if you are making a kit specifically for a car why would you go 99% of the way there, then not complete it?
Multi-vehicle compatibility. It has to do with being able to utilize production lines without creating over-specific processes or parts that are non-interchangeable and an overall cost burden. In this case, they did a lot of decisions to keep it 99% plug-and-play for both BRZ and FRS. There's an inevitable cost to the consumer for that. Plus, extending the leads and adding a whole additional connector for one wire isn't cost-effective at all. I don't blame them for that one.
The Following User Says Thank You to sharpsicle For This Useful Post:
Dadhawk (07-27-2020)
Old 07-27-2020, 03:06 PM   #10
Dadhawk
1st86 Driver!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharpsicle View Post
Multi-vehicle compatibility. It has to do with being able to utilize production lines without creating over-specific processes or parts that are non-interchangeable and an overall cost burden. In this case, they did a lot of decisions to keep it 99% plug-and-play for both BRZ and FRS. There's an inevitable cost to the consumer for that. Plus, extending the leads and adding a whole additional connector for one wire isn't cost-effective at all. I don't blame them for that one.
Yes they did it for all the reasons you state, and 90% of folks will say it's fine, or they'll buy them and not realize they won't work right, and move on.

But...

It's not multi-vehicle compatibility, it's accommodating difference between years of the same vehicle. In the end though, it's a very small incremental increase in cost to do it correctly. At minimum they could have done a small run of parts to sell as an add-on, or they could have made them all work the same way.

A six-plug adapter with a two plug add-on could have been, in theory, designed to work with any year depending on where the pins are. This is done in the computer industry all the time. Eight-pin plugs that breakdown into 2x4 or 2x6, etc are very common for power supplie for example..

When I decided to replace all the external lights in my 2004 Suburban, I wanted to go with LEDs. Nearly every set I looked at required you to put resistors inline to make them work. The one's I bought (from Spyder) were from a company smart enough to realize that should just be built into them.

The Following User Says Thank You to Dadhawk For This Useful Post:
DriveDriftDogfight86 (08-04-2020)
Old 07-27-2020, 03:07 PM   #11
Dadhawk
1st86 Driver!

Oh, and by the way, when I contacted VLAND directly, giving them the year and model number of my car and what I was looking for they told me it was "100% plug and play compatible".

Old 07-27-2020, 05:43 PM   #12
sharpsicle

Nobody ever said VLAND was a high quality premium headlight company. You get what you pay for. So why would you expect them to take the time, materials, and money to run additional wiring and connectors that they don't have to? This is mass production 101. Not to mention, it's a bit unrealistic to expect perfect plug-and-play functionality from turn signals when they aren't even in the factory headlights to begin with.

You can absolutely run them plug-and-play. You don't need to tap into your turn signal if you don't want to. You can continue to use the factory signals in the lower bumper. They give you the option to tap in and run the integrated signals if you want, why is that a problem? Don't like the design? Don't buy. But don't say they are advertising falsely just because they didn't do something you falsely expected them to do. I agree with you on many points, but your expectations are highly unrealistic.
Old 07-27-2020, 08:34 PM   #13
Dadhawk
1st86 Driver!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharpsicle View Post
But don't say they are advertising falsely just because they didn't do something you falsely expected them to do. I agree with you on many points, but your expectations are highly unrealistic.
Got it, we expect different things from companies we buy from, but I do expect full disclosure of the good and the not so good.

When I wrote VLAND with the question on their support site:

"I have a 2013 Scion FR-S. You list them as plug and play. Does that mean that they connect into the OEM harness directly through their connectors and require no splicing or other modifications for full functionality of turn signals, halos and lights"

The response I got was:

"Hi,
Yes, this product is plug and play.

If you interested in our product, pls visit our website to place order , 5% off for new customer, thank you."

Regards
VLAND"

I'm not angry at them, and may still be a customer, but if I had ordered them and had received them after that message I would have been sending them back as soon as they were unpacked.

Old 07-27-2020, 08:44 PM   #14
Irace86.2.0

Drives: Q5 + BRZ + M796
Thanked 5,805 Times in 3,299 Posts
Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
They give multiple conversions harnesses with the headlights. They are plug n play for several models.