follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Cosmetic Modification (Interior/Exterior/Lighting)

Cosmetic Modification (Interior/Exterior/Lighting) Discussions about cosmetic mods.

User Tag List

Old 01-16-2013, 05:05 PM   #29
Moto-P

Drives: Many types of cars in R&D.
Thanked 3,058 Times in 568 Posts
Mentioned: 101 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by bggns View Post
The japanese headlight is referenced here. Is the wiring the same for the eurospec headlights?
Yes, the back cover for the lamps have European/Japan/and even USA DOT markings... So I assume they are all built with the same electrical specs, and it should be the vehicle side BCU that is feeding the appropriate pins for the different lamp requirements in each territory for such things like DRL's.
Consulting Member at Cusco, OEM+, RS-R.
www.club4ag.com
Moto-P is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Moto-P For This Useful Post:
bggns (01-16-2013)
Old 01-17-2013, 07:25 PM   #30
tbwoodlee
I Void Warranties

Drives: Asphalt 86
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Just a quick follow up. Fedex tried delivering these today but I was not home. I am going to pick them up tomorrow and try to get them in Saturday. I will let you guys know how it goes.
tbwoodlee is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to tbwoodlee For This Useful Post:
FreshFRS (01-17-2013)
Old 01-17-2013, 09:20 PM   #31
bggns

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S 6AT, Asphalt
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
How long did it take from order to delivery?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbwoodlee View Post
Just a quick follow up. Fedex tried delivering these today but I was not home. I am going to pick them up tomorrow and try to get them in Saturday. I will let you guys know how it goes.
bggns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 09:41 PM   #32
Hanakuso

Drives: FR-S
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moto-P View Post
Yes, the back cover for the lamps have European/Japan/and even USA DOT markings... So I assume they are all built with the same electrical specs, and it should be the vehicle side BCU that is feeding the appropriate pins for the different lamp requirements in each territory for such things like DRL's.
That's interesting it has Euro, Japan and DOT approval. I'm not 100% about DOT regulations but I thought DOT = street legal for USA, but if they were JDM headlights with the wrong beam pattern then it would seem to be illegal or at least unsafe.
Hanakuso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 05:55 PM   #33
DanoFA20
Shift Down

Drives: Toyota 86, Mazda RX7 RaceCar (FC3S)
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
I was thinking of ordering the eurospec lights as well. If you order just the headlights, does it come with the bulbs ballasts and harness or do you have to order the one with the ecu and leveling sensor?

Thanks
nice you dont need levveling but ballasts not included
DanoFA20 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DanoFA20 For This Useful Post:
bggns (01-19-2013)
Old 01-21-2013, 04:49 PM   #34
tbwoodlee
I Void Warranties

Garage
Quote:
How long did it take from order to delivery?
Well turns out I told an unintentional lie. The FedEx package that I assumed was GT86 headlights was actually Eibach Springs. I do apologize.
Old 01-21-2013, 05:50 PM   #35
bggns

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbwoodlee View Post
Well turns out I told an unintentional lie. The FedEx package that I assumed was GT86 headlights was actually Eibach Springs. I do apologize.
I guess the wait continues. I have Eibach springs too but waiting until the spring to install.
Old 01-21-2013, 06:07 PM   #36
just86

Drives: 2013 genesis rspec
this is why im still waiting for these headlights to come to the frs, still holding out for those god damn headlights, I SWEAR TO GOD THAT I WILL NOT BUY FRS WITHOUT JDM HEADLIGHTS.. so yea no frs yet for me
just86 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to just86 For This Useful Post:
tbwoodlee (01-21-2013)
Old 01-21-2013, 06:29 PM   #37
tbwoodlee
I Void Warranties

Garage
I ordered mine around the end of December from nigel-jdmparts and they said it was a 6-10 week turn around. I am not too worried about it, to be honest I am not looking forward to taking off the front bumper. I have some fog lights waiting to be installed, I will knock them out all at once.
Old 01-31-2013, 08:46 PM   #38
jimgfl

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S
Problem with EDM headlights

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moto-P View Post
Here's the pin identification if you anyone needs it.

Easiest and the most reliable way to wire the Japanese HID/LED lamps to Scion FRS halogen systems is to pull the pins out of both light assemblies and re-pin them into the proper socket location on the FRS lamp assembly connector. That way all connections are water-proof and original FRS sockets can be used without cutting most of them or tapping them at all, except one pin...
One can easily find another single pin male/female connector for this... I used the aftermarket HID bulb 1 pin waterproof socket as it is commonly available.
To remove the socket pins, you need to simply yank on the white plastic guide-locks to remove it, then finding the pin lock tabs for each one, move it up and pull gently on the wires from the back of the socket.

Japanese HID/LED (GT-Limited) "socket" pins:
#'s correspond to pin position in the 8 pin socket.

1. Not Used (Empty)

2. White - LED High (DRL 3.3W mode, 12V+ *must bypass the resistor on USA FRS to power this)
3. Green - LED Low (12V+ 0.5 w mode)
4. Black 12 Guage - LED Common GND

5. Red (12guage) - HID Ballast 12V +
6. Black (12 guage) - HID Ballast GND

7. Blue - High Beam bulb position actuator 12+
8. Yellow - High Beam bulb position actuator GND

On the USA Scion FRS 6 of the 7 necessary wires are all in the 6 pin socket, and it's a matter of re-pinning the sockets to proper locations. All of them except the pin needed for the DRL (LED-High 3.3w mode) are there.

To wire the DRL properly, pull the DRL resistor located on the right front bumper just below the horn assembly. Tap into the live 12V side of the harness and leave the resistor unplugged so it does not feed the high beam actuator in the Japanese assembly.

This is done because the USA FRS has the high beam bulb doing tha dual role of DRL and HIGH Beam, and Japanese assembly has LED High mode at 3.3 doing the DRL, and is separate from the actual HIGH beam which is done with HID main bulb with bulb position locator shifting the Low beam to high.

Take the live side tapped wire to the LED high 12V wire on the Japanese headlight assembly so you get full 12V, and at the same time leave the socket off the resistor so it does not feed the High Beam actuator with attenuated voltage that normally powers the FRS high side halogen... (yes I said this twice to remind you)...

On the Japanese headlamp, now you should have 6 wires left, after you connected the white to the DRL 12V circuit (with resistor bypassed)

**I'd just simply remove this resistor altogether as you don't want a shop or dealer plugging it back in. The FRS only needs it so it can under-drive a halogen lamp on high beam at lower voltage during DRL. The Japanese system does not use it, as it has a LED array that is designed for this, separate from the HID high beam.

Now you need to use this USA Scion FRS headlight "Harness side" custom socket diagram to put the pins in the right locations for the FRS socket to be used on the Japanese LED lamp to power the system correctly.

USA Scion FRS lamp assembly socket pin (6 Pin connector)

1. Green (High beam) 12V ----> Blue bulb position actuator 12V+
4. White (High beam) GND ---> Yellow bulb position actuator GND

3. Red - (Low beam) 12V------> Red HID Ballast 12V
2. Black - (low beam) GND-----> Black HID ballast GND

5. unused on FRS headlight but pre-wired on the car (parking GND)--------> 16guage Black LED Common GND
6. unused on FRS headlight but pre-wired on the car (parking 12V)--------->Green LED Low 0.5w mode 12V+

*7 not on the headlight socket, wired separately from the live side of the DRL resistor on the FRS DRL line. ------>White (LED High 3.3w mode 12V for DRL)
* leave the resistor disconnected.

Now you should be done.

Check Operation:

Parking lamp on = Low LED light up.
Headlight on = HID Low beam + Low LED light up.
High beam = HID Low and HIGH should now be lit with bulb relocated by actuator into the proper position inside the projector+ LOW LED lit.
Flasher = HID should power with actuator in high beam mode, and upon releasing the High mode LED also flashes for a split second (latter if the headlight is on)
DRL with all light switches in Off and with car in Reverse or Drive Gears, and parking brake down, engine on = DRL mode LED should be lit with full 5.5w really bright.

There you have it. Properly working like a Japanese GT-Limited 86.
I received my EDM headlights 2 months ago and installed them like the FRS garage website noted with the LED running off the High beams. Then came across Motor-P posting and re-pinned they with his instructions. Now I have low beams, low led when lights are on but no High led or High beams. I removed the DRL resistor and connected the white wire to the green wire from the resistor. Is there something I'm missing or something I can check? Thanks!
jimgfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 09:56 PM   #39
bggns

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimgfl View Post
I received my EDM headlights 2 months ago and installed them like the FRS garage website noted with the LED running off the High beams. Then came across Motor-P posting and re-pinned they with his instructions. Now I have low beams, low led when lights are on but no High led or High beams. I removed the DRL resistor and connected the white wire to the green wire from the resistor. Is there something I'm missing or something I can check? Thanks!
Were you able to solve your high led/high beam issue?
Old 02-08-2013, 12:34 AM   #40
Knshro13

Drives: 10 series FRS
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimgfl View Post

Check to see if your drl resistor wire is getting power. Also, try flipping your high beam wires. I followed moto-sans diagram and found out his high beam wires were reversed.

Thank you moto-p San for your work!
Knshro13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 05:19 PM   #41
Moto-P

Drives: Many types of cars in R&D.
Thanked 3,058 Times in 568 Posts
Mentioned: 101 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
Sorry, I had the High Beam actuator wire color reversed. I corrected it on the original post.

As for the LED bright and low modes.
The FRS has a different circuit than the Japanese model for DRL (Japan has no DRL, while Europeans do in the OEM config.)
The headlight in either region has DRL built in, where Japan is not hooked up, so if you want to make it work, wire it accordingly to your preference as I wrote originally in the diagram.

You can also opt to wire it separately from the system on the FRS so you have direct control of the bright mode LED, rather than only have the use of it during the daytime mode with the headlight off... (which is the only time DRL is active, except when high beams are used... And that's because on the FRS, the high beam bulb is used for the DRL.)
Consulting Member at Cusco, OEM+, RS-R.
www.club4ag.com
Moto-P is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Moto-P For This Useful Post:
Dadhawk (02-09-2013)
Old 02-08-2013, 08:20 PM   #42
jimgfl

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S
Thanks Moto for your help...changed the wires on the high beams and now they work. The DRL are working but not the way you listed. I hooked up the white wires to the green wire from the resistor and removed the resistor altogether from the car. The way the DRL are working now are low LEDs come on when no lights are on. I turn the parking lights on and the High LEDs come on. I turn the low beams or the high beams on and the DRLs go to LED low. Do you think if I change the low and high LED wires it would correct this? I'd like the DRL LED highs on with no parking or HID lights on and DRL LED lows with parking, low and high beams. Thanks again Moto
jimgfl is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
gt86, gt86 headlights, headlights, lhd