follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine, Exhaust, Transmission

Engine, Exhaust, Transmission Discuss the FR-S | 86 | BRZ engine, exhaust and drivetrain.

User Tag List

Old 01-12-2021, 10:55 PM   #1
brownfox97

Drives: '13 FRS Base
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Newbie needs tubro exhaust help!

Hey all,

I recently picked up a JDL V2 kit with the 2867 Gen 2 turbski and am trying to sort out the exhaust I want for the car right now. I want this build to be a very OEM+, weekend driver/canyon carver which has me looking at a high quality, quieter, droneless exhaust setup. I really want a smooth rich tone as opposed to the boxer rumble fart cans alot of people have. However, I want to opt for a full 3 inch system due to the benefits it brings when paired with the turbo. I have locked in JDL's equal length headers (turbo application) with the dual resonated 3 inch FP/OP combo.

Here's where I'm a little lost because there doesn't seem to be many 3 inch catbacks that aren't obnoxious. My ideal choice was the HKS Legamax Sports but it is only offered in a 2.5 inch. I have narrowed down my limited choices to two options and would like some input:

1. Perrin 3 inch Catback: My biggest question here is, since the piping after the muffler that runs to the tip is 2.5 inches (even on the 3inch catback) is it pointless since that is going to be the bottle neck of the whole system? If so then should I just go with the Legamax anyway? If not can someone please explain why the short 2.5 section wouldnt negate the gains I'm looking for with a full 3inch system?

2. Custom catback: Theres alot of good shops that do some fantastic custom work where I live but is it going to be worth the money when compared to an off the shelf piece? How would I be able to know what I'm getting sound wise if theres no way to know till it's done?

3. Alternative suggestions???
Thank you for taking the time to read and help!
brownfox97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2021, 11:04 PM   #2
Ashikabi

Drives: 2013 FR-S
Thanked 4,542 Times in 2,947 Posts
Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Tagged: 5 Thread(s)
Is the Perrin dual or single exit? 2 2.5"pipes is bigger than a single 3, so you would be fine there (assuming dual exit). Otherwise you have to go custom to maintain the 3". To keep the noise in check you'll need a suitcase muffler of some variety.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5010 using Tapatalk
Ashikabi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2021, 11:53 PM   #3
Turdinator
Seņor Member

Drives: 86 GT/'74 TA22 Celica/Kangaroo
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashikabi View Post
Is the Perrin dual or single exit? 2 2.5"pipes is bigger than a single 3, so you would be fine there (assuming dual exit). Otherwise you have to go custom to maintain the 3". To keep the noise in check you'll need a suitcase muffler of some variety.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5010 using Tapatalk
This.
Area of a 3" circle is 7.07 square inches, area of 2.5" circle is 4.91 square inches. two pipes of 2.5" have a much larger combined cross sectional area than a single 3".

I have a NA setup with JDL catless header, overpipe, ultra quiet front pipe and the Perrin resonated catback all in 2.5". NA should be louder than turbo but 3" should be louder than 2.5". So I would guess it would balance out and be pretty close in terms of volume. Mine is definitely louder than stock but very livable and refined. I am sure with some searching you could get a sound clip of someone with that exact setup.
Old 01-13-2021, 12:37 AM   #4
brownfox97

Drives: '13 FRS Base
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
I'm an idiot. That makes so much sense lol, thank you both for explaining!

I've definitely seen videos of individual components but not that exact set up yet.

Last edited by brownfox97; 01-13-2021 at 01:11 AM.
brownfox97 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to brownfox97 For This Useful Post:
Turdinator (01-14-2021)

Tags
exhaust, turbo