follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Off-Topic Discussions > Other Vehicles & General Automotive Discussions

Other Vehicles & General Automotive Discussions Discuss all other cars and automotive news here.

User Tag List

Old 10-22-2020, 04:05 AM   #1
SUSPECT_BRZ

Drives: 2020 Subaru BRZ TS
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Any Experiences With Dealer Buyback?

Hey guys,

So back in April of this year, I replaced my winter beater for a brand new Veloster Turbo 2020 to use as a daily driver, the BRZ being my summer vehicle. I wanted a hatchback which was somewhat roomy, comfortable and fun to drive. I was hesitating between the Veloster and the Corolla Hatch.

So the car has been great, except for one intermittent issue that is really bugging me.

On cold mornings, or if the car sits for 2-3 days, the car will start and then stall a few seconds later. I literally have to give it gas in order for it not to stall. No check engine, no other symptoms, nada.

The first time I brought the vehicle in, they switched the high fuel pressure pump. It did not solve the issue.

The second time I brought the vehicle in, they could not reproduce the issue. The car stayed on their lot for 10 days.

I brought the car in again two days ago and still haven't heard from them.

Winter is around the corner and I have zero confidence in this vehicle during the real cold months. I think I have a lemon, because every people I know who had a Hyundai never encountered such issues.

At this point I am quite fed up and I'm not really enjoying the vehicle anymore. I bought the BRZ 3 months later and you can tell the difference in engineering and the ease of maintenance and accessibility to components. The Hyundai is crammed, and even the oil chance is quite the pain in the ass. Had I known back then, I would have went with a Crosstrek or the Corolla.

My question is, if the dealership cannot figure out the issue, can you request the mothership (Hyundai Canada) to buy back the vehicle? It's a brand new car with 5600KM and this should not be happening that early. Have you heard any success stories regarding vehicle buy-backs?

Thanks for your time.

Last edited by SUSPECT_BRZ; 10-28-2020 at 01:00 PM.
SUSPECT_BRZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2020, 11:58 AM   #2
p1l0t

Drives: 2016 Subaru BRZ Hyperblue
Thanked 9,371 Times in 4,813 Posts
Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SUSPECT_BRZ View Post
Hey guys,

So back in April of this year, I replaced my winter beater for a brand new Veloster Turbo 2020 to use as a daily driver, the BRZ being my summer vehicle. I wanted a hatchback which was somewhat roomy, comfortable and fun to drive. I was hesitating between the Veloster and the Corolla Hatch.

So the car has been great, except for one intermittent issue that is really bugging me.

On cold mornings, or if the car sits for 2-3 days, the car will start and then stall a few seconds later. I literally have to give it gas in order for it not to stall. No check engine, no other symptoms, nada.

The first time I brought the vehicle in, they switched the high fuel pressure pump. It did not solve the issue.

The second time I brought the vehicle in, they could not reproduce the issue. The car stayed on their lot for 10 days.

I brought the car in again two days ago and still haven't heard from them.

Winter is around the corner and I have zero confidence in this vehicle during the real cold months. I think I have a lemon, because every people I know who had a Hyundai never encountered such issues.

At this point I am quite fed up and I'm not really enjoying the vehicle anymore. I bought the BRZ 3 months later and you can tell the difference in engineering and the ease of maintenance and accessibility to components. The Hyundai is crammed, and even the oil chance is quite the pain in the ass. Had I known back then, I would have went with a Crosstrek or the Corolla.

My question is, if the dealership cannot figure out the issue, can you request the mothership (Hyundai Canada) to buy back the vehicle? It's a brand new car with 5600KM and this should not be happening that early. Have you heard any success stories regarding vehicle buy-backs?

Thanks for your time.
I would run a bottle of dry gas and/or injector cleaner. Sounds like it could be a little water freezing in a fuel line or a slightly clogged iniector somewhere. Is it a key start or a push button? If it's a key start make sure you turn it to on first, wait for the fuel pump to fully prime (you can hear it), and then turn it to start. If it's a push button I guess it should do that automatically. If neither of those work it could be the a PCM/sensor issue if it doesn't realize that it needs more fuel than it's giving. (This is a bit of an assumption but cold air is denser and needs more fuel so my assumption is you are running too lean at low temps). In summation I would think the issue is either the computer getting not all the right information, or it having the right information but the system not functioning the way it should because of something in a line somewhere. Start with the dry gas, it's a few bucks. I don't know Hyundais but Subarus seem to need a bottle of injector cleaner every 40k miles or so before they start running funny or even throwing codes. I know you have low miles but it only takes a little bit of water or a piece of dirt to get lodged somewhere to cause issues in any car at any time really. (Especially when the air is cold and dense and requires 3x as much fuel to start/idle)

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
p1l0t is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to p1l0t For This Useful Post:
SUSPECT_BRZ (10-23-2020)
Old 10-28-2020, 01:04 PM   #3
SUSPECT_BRZ

I already attempted the solution posted above, and it did not solve the issue. The vehicle is brand new and under warranty. I gave the dealership some hints, including a possible PCM/sensor issue, but I want them to figure it out.

I was just wondering if anyone ever had a dealership not figure out their issue and what happened after that.

I kind of fell out of love with the vehicle. Not as practical as I thought it would be. Brought it in 3 times already for the same issue, just a pissed customer. I wish they could just buy it back so I could run to Subaru and buy the new Crosstrek Outdoor.

EDIT : Updated the title to reflect the actual concern.
Old 10-28-2020, 01:14 PM   #4
NoHaveMSG

Drives: Crapcan
Thanked 16,323 Times in 7,381 Posts
Mentioned: 107 Post(s)
Garage
A quick google search shows quite a few threads on stalling after startup as well as other stalling issues. I would start there.
Old 10-28-2020, 01:21 PM   #5
strat61caster
-

Drives: '13 FRS - STX
Thanked 9,479 Times in 4,998 Posts
Mentioned: 94 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Yes. Parents had a Volvo that got bought back, price was a little better then what selling on the market would have gotten, you'll likely have to work with hyundai Canada in tandem with the dealer. Just call them up now and get the ball rolling, it may prod the dealer to put a little more effort into fixing, or they know they won't be able to fix it satisfactorily and just start the buyback process based on you already coming in.
strat61caster is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to strat61caster For This Useful Post:
SUSPECT_BRZ (10-28-2020)
Old 10-28-2020, 01:31 PM   #6
SUSPECT_BRZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoHaveMSG View Post
A quick google search shows quite a few threads on stalling after startup as well as other stalling issues. I would start there.
That's not the subject of the thread, but thanks for redirecting me to Google. Again, car is brand new under warranty, not my problem.
Old 10-28-2020, 01:33 PM   #7
SUSPECT_BRZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by strat61caster View Post
Yes. Parents had a Volvo that got bought back, price was a little better then what selling on the market would have gotten, you'll likely have to work with hyundai Canada in tandem with the dealer. Just call them up now and get the ball rolling, it may prod the dealer to put a little more effort into fixing, or they know they won't be able to fix it satisfactorily and just start the buyback process based on you already coming in.
Thanks for sharing your experience. I secretly hope they can't figure it out. I think they would have by now...
Old 10-28-2020, 01:41 PM   #8
Atmo

Drives: TBA
Thanked 1,123 Times in 586 Posts
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
I don't know how buybacks work in Canada, but in the US buybacks are done through the manufacturer after an arbitration procedure.

It varies by state. Here, the car needs to have been out of service for at least 30 consecutive days or had 4 attempts to repair the problem without success. Some owners take the vehicle to four different dealers with the same complaint to game the system.

Then if you win arbitration, you get some or all of the purchase price back depending on the date of first use. Other states award title and registration fees and loan interest. That may have changed over the past couple of years.

Arbitration can be straightforward or a nightmare depending on the state and vehicle manufacturer. Search for successful arbitration outcome cases on other forums for owners, lots of good info available.

If you win, the car will either be scrapped or given to a local high school or college automotive technician training program.

All that said, you wouldn't have a chance at a buyback in most states. Buyer's remorse isn't an excuse for arbitration and would be a waste of everyone's time.
Atmo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Atmo For This Useful Post:
bfrank1972 (10-28-2020), soundman98 (10-29-2020), strat61caster (10-28-2020), SUSPECT_BRZ (10-28-2020), Tcoat (10-28-2020), why? (11-15-2020)
Old 10-28-2020, 01:47 PM   #9
NoHaveMSG

Drives: Crapcan
Thanked 16,323 Times in 7,381 Posts
Mentioned: 107 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
That's not the subject of the thread, but thanks for redirecting me to Google. Again, car is brand new under warranty, not my problem.
I get that, but some of them detail their buyback so it may be worth a quick read of a couple to see what you are in for. I found a couple instances on older models that had a similar issue that did get bought back, but after a couple months of arbitration. I did find your thread on the VT forums too. I can see why they may have thought it was the HP fuel pump. Looks like the pressure sensor is a common thing they like to replace too for the issue.
SUSPECT_BRZ (10-28-2020)
Old 10-28-2020, 01:59 PM   #10
SUSPECT_BRZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoHaveMSG View Post
I get that, but some of them detail their buyback so it may be worth a quick read of a couple to see what you are in for. I found a couple instances on older models that had a similar issue that did get bought back, but after a couple months of arbitration. I did find your thread on the VT forums too. I can see why they may have thought it was the HP fuel pump. Looks like the pressure sensor is a common thing they like to replace too for the issue.
I sure hope it does not go through a few months of arbitration...I mean the car eventually ends up starting, but it's just frustrating coming from one of the "reliable" brands out there. And the more they wait, the less the car will be worth. I also read somewhere it could be a software issue with an update coming in 2021...not sure what they were referring too, I'm thinking PCM again.

I already told them this was the last time I was bringing it in. They gave me a nice Tucson loaner so I'll keep that one until they fix my car or buy it back. They can sue me.

Last edited by SUSPECT_BRZ; 10-28-2020 at 02:11 PM.
Old 10-28-2020, 02:03 PM   #11
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,283 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2495 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atmo View Post
I don't know how buybacks work in Canada, but in the US buybacks are done through the manufacturer after an arbitration procedure.

It varies by state. Here, the car needs to have been out of service for at least 30 consecutive days or had 4 attempts to repair the problem without success. Some owners take the vehicle to four different dealers with the same complaint to game the system.

Then if you win arbitration, you get some or all of the purchase price back depending on the date of first use. Other states award title and registration fees and loan interest. That may have changed over the past couple of years.

Arbitration can be straightforward or a nightmare depending on the state and vehicle manufacturer. Search for successful arbitration outcome cases on other forums for owners, lots of good info available.

If you win, the car will either be scrapped or given to a local high school or college automotive technician training program.

All that said, you wouldn't have a chance at a buyback in most states. Buyer's remorse isn't an excuse for arbitration and would be a waste of everyone's time.
This^
We have a process in Canada.
Speak with the dealer/Hyundai first and see what they have to say.
If they tell you to pound salt then call - https://www.camvap.ca/
It is IMPORTANT you try to settle it with the dealer/Hyundai first.
I have known 3 people that went through this process and all of them resolved their issues.
Did I say to TALK TO THE DEALER/HYUDAI FIRST?
soundman98 (10-29-2020), strat61caster (10-28-2020), why? (11-15-2020)
Old 10-28-2020, 02:14 PM   #12
SUSPECT_BRZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
This^
We have a process in Canada.
Speak with the dealer/Hyundai first and see what they have to say.
If they tell you to pound salt then call - https://www.camvap.ca/
It is IMPORTANT you try to settle it with the dealer/Hyundai first.
I have known 3 people that went through this process and all of them resolved their issues.
Did I say to TALK TO THE DEALER/HYUDAI FIRST?
You sure did Tcoat

This is the next step if they cannot figure it out this third time. I did some research and also found the CAMVAP, just waiting on Hyundai to possibly resolve the problem first. I already wrote to Hyundai but haven't received a reply after a full week...because COVID.

Glad to know some people actually were successful with this process!
Old 10-28-2020, 02:45 PM   #13
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,283 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2495 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
You sure did Tcoat

This is the next step if they cannot figure it out this third time. I did some research and also found the CAMVAP, just waiting on Hyundai to possibly resolve the problem first. I already wrote to Hyundai but haven't received a reply after a full week...because COVID.

Glad to know some people actually were successful with this process!
Don't know how much interference COVID will have but all of the guys that I knew had resolutions within about 3 weeks after filing.
One was a Nissan something or other that was on it's 3rd tranny in 2 years. He got full value buyback.
One was a Mustang that kept eating starter motors. He got most of his money back but not all of it.
One was a Mitsubishi that had some major oil leaks and had been back about 10 times. He ended up keeping the car but got extended warranty coverage on any future leaks as long as he owned the car. Ironically it never leaked a drop again!
Try to get as much in writing as you can since they are not big on hearing "they said..." so emails are good.
soundman98 (10-29-2020)
Old 10-28-2020, 03:30 PM   #14
SUSPECT_BRZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
Don't know how much interference COVID will have but all of the guys that I knew had resolutions within about 3 weeks after filing.
One was a Nissan something or other that was on it's 3rd tranny in 2 years. He got full value buyback.
One was a Mustang that kept eating starter motors. He got most of his money back but not all of it.
One was a Mitsubishi that had some major oil leaks and had been back about 10 times. He ended up keeping the car but got extended warranty coverage on any future leaks as long as he owned the car. Ironically it never leaked a drop again!
Try to get as much in writing as you can since they are not big on hearing "they said..." so emails are good.
That is good advice, I did keep the last email conversation and will request a copy of the service history next time. I mean customer service has been good so far, I'm sure we will be able to come to a friendly resolution. They are just attempting to "replicate" the issue but so far haven't. Of course.