follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Off-Topic Discussions > Other Vehicles & General Automotive Discussions

Other Vehicles & General Automotive Discussions Discuss all other cars and automotive news here.

User Tag List

Old 04-17-2018, 03:23 PM   #85
Dadhawk
1st86 Driver!

Drives: '13 FR-S (#3 of 1st 86)
Thanked 24,935 Times in 11,375 Posts
Mentioned: 182 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
Every change has looked different than the one before it but the identity has remained.
From bottom to top:

Visit my Owner's Journal where I wax philosophic on all things FR-S
Post your 86 or see others in front of a(n) (in)famous landmark.
What fits in your 86? Show us the "Junk In Your Trunk".
Dadhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2018, 03:57 PM   #86
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,283 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2495 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dadhawk View Post
From bottom to top:

Pretty much the same here except I would flip your 7 and 1 .
Dadhawk (04-17-2018)
Old 04-17-2018, 10:03 PM   #87
reni
Nobody beats the B[I|R]Z

Drives: shopping cart i stole from walmart
Thanked 1,145 Times in 456 Posts
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Every change has looked different than the one before it but the identity has remained.

Why is there an RX-7 in the middle?
reni is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to reni For This Useful Post:
strat61caster (05-30-2018)
Old 04-17-2018, 10:55 PM   #88
Spuds
The Dictater

Drives: '13 Red Scion FRS
Thanked 12,428 Times in 6,146 Posts
Mentioned: 85 Post(s)
Quote:

Well, from the 2nd gen on the silhouette has been pretty close. 1st gen doesn't look like a Corvette, but is in fact The Corvette. I have a feeling this is going to be similarly different.

Also, from bottom, 2, 4, 1, 7, 6, 5, 3

Edit... I guess that makes me same as yours except flip 3 and 4 lol
Spuds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2018, 12:18 AM   #89
SuperDave

Drives: DAT Rally Blue BRZ
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by vh_supra26 View Post
those aren't official renders are they?
SuperDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2018, 06:35 AM   #90
krayzie
Drive From Home

Drives: BRZ STI Performance
Thanked 3,111 Times in 2,007 Posts
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by reni View Post
Why is there an RX-7 in the middle?
Are you sure that's not a Fairlady Z?
krayzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2018, 08:04 AM   #91
ZDan

Drives: '23 BRZ
Thanked 3,890 Times in 2,032 Posts
Mentioned: 85 Post(s)
C2 was a pretty radical departure vs. C1, evolution after that.
I'll take a '67 s.b. coupe, '70-'72 s.b. coupe, and a C6 Z06. Maybe a '90 C4 with an LS3 swapped in... And, why not, a '57 F.I. for grins...
ZDan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ZDan For This Useful Post:
Dadhawk (06-04-2018)
Old 04-19-2018, 04:37 AM   #92
vh_supra26
Site Moderator

Drives: Supra
Thanked 2,181 Times in 964 Posts
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperDave View Post
those aren't official renders are they?
vh_supra26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2018, 10:13 PM   #93
vh_supra26
Site Moderator

Drives: Supra
Thanked 2,181 Times in 964 Posts
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
2020 Chevrolet Corvette C8: The Mid-Engined White Whale Is Nearly Here

Quote:
What to expect from the long-awaited mid-engined Vette.

On the eighth day, God created Mid-Engined Corvette. Certain Mesoamerican cultures offered the still-beating hearts of human sacrifices to Mid-Engined Corvette. Medieval Europeans believed that Mid-Engined Corvette’s horn could cure all maladies. It is said that Kublai Khan kept in his personal zoo at Xanadu a Mid-Engined Corvette of exceptional splendor. The phrase “mid-engined Corvette” means “goat sucker” in Spanish, owing to the thing’s propensity to drink the blood of livestock. Inside the briefcase from Pulp Fiction? Mid-Engined Corvette.

Mid-Engined Corvette has always been with us, even when it totally didn’t exist. And short of a few concept vehicles over the decades, it has never existed beyond the realm of folklore, the occasional conspiracy theory, and the fever dreams of automotive journalists.

But as it is written, so it shall be. Mid-Engined Corvette is real, and you’ll see the official, genuine article next spring. And no, Chevy isn’t playing any games with the terminology: The engine will be bolted between the occupants and the rear wheels. Those expecting a carbon-fiber spaceship powered by an antimatter machine will be somewhat disappointed.

Like the recent front-engined Corvettes, the mid-engined one will remain an attainable sports car with supercar performance. Surely some bits of carbon fiber and magnesium will be stirred into the mix, but Chevy will construct the mid-engined car’s spaceframe primarily from aluminum. And as in the past, its body will be made largely of fiberglass panels. To contain costs, Chevy will launch the new car with an updated version of the pushrod LT1 engine that powers today’s C7 Corvettes. We expect the mid-engined Corvette, or C8, to be a bit heavier than the current car’s roughly 3500 pounds, but it will compensate for that with about 500 horsepower from the LT1. And thanks to the increased traction of a rearward weight bias and a quick-shifting transaxle, it’ll be quicker than the C7.

Oh, did we not mention the transaxle? (Note that we used the singular form of the word.) There will be only one gearbox, and it won’t come with a clutch pedal. Chevy has been working with Tremec on a new eight-speed dual-clutch automatic unit. The driver’s involvement in shifting gears will begin and end with the steering-wheel-adjacent shift paddles.

But there’s some consolation: That engine bay will also eventually host even more compelling mills. The first to follow the LT1 will be a naturally aspirated 5.5-liter DOHC V-8 with a flat-plane crankshaft capable of a Ferrari 458–like maximum engine speed of 9000 rpm. Sympathy for the transaxle, though, means the engine speed will be limited to several hundred rpm below that. That engine should be good for at least 600 horsepower.

Then, because it is totally unnecessary, Chevy will bolt two turbochargers and two big air-to-water intercoolers to the 5.5-liter V-8. The turbo engine will make about 800 owner-maiming horsepower. You will not be surprised to learn that this will be the fastest version around the Nürburgring Nordschleife.

But hang on: What if we told you that within a couple of years Chevy would add a 200-hp electric motor to the mix? The twin-turbo 5.5-liter V-8 will abuse the rear tires while the electric motor, housed in what would typically be a front trunk, will energize the fronts. That’s right: This mid-engined/front-motor Corvette will have a horsepower rating at or near the four-digit mark.

To cool these nuclear furnaces, the mid-engined Corvette is going to need massive amounts of airflow. So basically the entire leading plane of the nose will be open to the air and packed full of heat exchangers. The C8 will extract engine-compartment heat through vents below the taillights on the rear fascia. Combustion gases will be fed through an exhaust that includes the familiar dual-mode system to maximize airflow and noise generation at high engine loads. There will be two tips per side instead of the four center-mounted pipes on the C7.

In a break from past Corvettes, the mid-engined car will have a couple of active aerodynamic devices. In the rear will be a conventional power-operated spoiler. Up front, the picture is a little more complicated. We hear that Chevy will use the new Corvette’s front-axle-lift system not just to clear speed bumps and steep driveway approaches but also to change the car’s angle of attack, shifting the aero center of pressure fore and aft, depending on vehicle speed. And—wonders never cease—the C8 will use coil springs in place of the old transverse composite leaf springs.

For an unspecified amount of time, the C7 will be built alongside the C8 in Bowling Green, Kentucky. We’re guessing Chevy will continue building the old car until the company is ready to start producing the Corvette Hovercraft.
https://www.caranddriver.com/feature...is-nearly-here

vh_supra26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2018, 11:10 AM   #94
mazeroni

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S Series 10
Thanked 1,017 Times in 512 Posts
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quote:

From the bottom, I'll take 2 and 1, but I'm trading the rest for a 2000 GT. If i can't find a 2000 GT, I'll just burn them and do the world a favor

mazeroni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2018, 11:13 AM   #95
8RZ
The Gunshine State

Drives: '14 BRZ Limited
Thanked 1,163 Times in 587 Posts
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by vh_supra26 View Post

Hmmmmm... Front end resembles a Lambo, rear resembles a Ferrari lol.

Current DD: M235i
8RZ is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 8RZ For This Useful Post:
Dadhawk (06-04-2018)
Old 05-30-2018, 08:43 PM   #96
strat61caster
-

Drives: '13 FRS - STX
Thanked 9,474 Times in 4,995 Posts
Mentioned: 94 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8RZ View Post
Hmmmmm... Front end resembles a Lambo, rear resembles a Ferrari lol.
It's not like there's a bunch of cool modern Chevy's to rip off when drawing a fake car concept.
strat61caster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2018, 01:20 PM   #97
WolfpackS2k

Drives: '12 C63 P31, '23 GRC
Thanked 2,072 Times in 1,185 Posts
Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Garage
I find it very hard to believe that the C8 won't be available with a true manual transmission.
Old 06-04-2018, 03:12 PM   #98
Yardjass

Drives: '14 Monogram, '95 Miata, '90 300ZX
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by WolfpackS2k View Post
I find it very hard to believe that the C8 won't be available with a true manual transmission.

Agreed. The most I'm willing to believe is this is going to be the top tier ZR1 selling along side a front-mid base model. The auto/manual take rate on these is pretty much 50:50 and I just don't see them abandoning that sort of sales potential.

As far as general thoughts go, I've been a pretty big Corvette fan for a long time. I don't like the weight gain recently and I really don't like the sharp edge design language that GM is using. My ideal modern Corvette is a C7 with the C6 rear end and circle tails and this does not appeal to me visually at all.

So lets get to what I do like. The performance on anything and everything GM lately is absolutely off the charts. They have a Camaro that beats up on actual supercars and the Corvette has been outstanding for a long time now. A lot of it has to do with new tech and creative solutions like magnetic ride that GM develops in house. When they admit themselves the C7 is limited by its engine layout and they still proceed to win on and off the race track, it shows you just how good those designers are and what having that many PhDs at your company really gets you. I fully expect this thing to come on the scene and absolutely demolish pretty much anything else out there, if not immediately, fairly quickly after a few years of growing pains.
Yardjass is offline   Reply With Quote