follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB

Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB Problems, issues, recalls, TSBs

User Tag List

Old 07-02-2020, 03:04 PM   #1
7onasL

Drives: Red
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
2013 FR-S with CEL, code is P0016. What should I do?

This code has been on for about 2-3 weeks, car runs completely fine though. Code reads “Crank/Cam Position Correlation – Bank 1 Sensor A” The CEL light is on along with the traction light.

As far as what I’ve done so far, I changed the Oil control valve on as well as the camshaft position sensor. I also changed the oil for both the engine and the transmission, although I don’t think this really matters. However, the code stays the same. My car is one of the earlier models that needs the recall for the valve spring but I haven’t done it because of the “horror” stories online from people blowing up their engines after the recall fix, but I also don’t think this affects the code either. Also since my car is one of the earlier models, the ECU is still running on the older version A00C instead of the updated B01C.

I am completely lost at what I should do. I’ve read that people recommend shimming the camshaft sensor but I haven’t done that yet since I’m not very much a mechanic myself. I just wanted to know what I should do. I could start by shimming the sensors. If that doesn’t work, I could update to the new ECU version. If none of these work I may have to resort to changing the cam sprocket but I’ve heard it’s a hefty price and since I’m out of warranty, I want to avoid this as much as possible.
7onasL is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 7onasL For This Useful Post:
humfrz (07-02-2020)
Old 07-02-2020, 04:24 PM   #2
humfrz

Drives: 2013 FR-S, white, MT
Thanked 31,819 Times in 16,427 Posts
Mentioned: 708 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Hi ya, 7onasL and welcome to ye ol forum -

Have you tried to disconnect the battery for a spell to see if the code goes away .... and doesn't return?

Yep, ol humfrz has a simple solution to everything ..... and it doesn't usually work -
humfrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2020, 05:48 PM   #3
7onasL

Quote:
Originally Posted by humfrz View Post
Hi ya, 7onasL and welcome to ye ol forum -

Have you tried to disconnect the battery for a spell to see if the code goes away .... and doesn't return?

Yep, ol humfrz has a simple solution to everything ..... and it doesn't usually work -

Yea I’ve reset the battery every time I switched or changed out the camshaft position sensor and oil control valve but the code keeps persisting.
humfrz (07-02-2020)
Old 07-02-2020, 06:23 PM   #4
Mr.ac
[insert cool phrase here]

Drives: BRZ Premium
Thanked 1,558 Times in 930 Posts
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Sucks to hear that.

If you don't want to pay dealership prices, take it to any good independent shop. One that knows their way around Subaru's. Ask for a quote nothing else. Then go from there.

If you are worried about the recall, it's not that bad now. Poor FRS dudes got the shaft because Toyota mechanics where working on Subaru engines. The problem has now been fixed, Subaru sent more detailed information to Toyota mechanics so that problem has been fixed.

I got my recall work done last year, zero problems engine wise runs good and strong like the first time I bought it. Then again I have a brz so Subaru did the work.

Back to the original topic, chances are you might just need a new sensor and a re flash. But that's my guess.
Mr.ac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2020, 10:00 PM   #5
p1l0t

Drives: 2016 Subaru BRZ Hyperblue
Thanked 9,371 Times in 4,813 Posts
Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
I think* there are 5 total sensors. 4 camsensors and one crank sensor. If you already tried the new sensor in all four spots than maybe buy a crankshaft and try replacing that? (Or test it with a multimeter if you can find a good youTube video on it) I don't know what a crank sensor is supposed to read. The cam sensors you can just check against each other or the new one to find the bad guy with the oHms readout. Or you can move it to a different cylinder and see if the code changes to a different bank. I just did this on my Fiancée's imprezza a few months ago. It was tedious but I did get it after a few tries.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
p1l0t is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to p1l0t For This Useful Post:
humfrz (07-02-2020), Lonewolf (07-03-2020), NoHaveMSG (07-03-2020)
Old 07-02-2020, 10:20 PM   #6
7onasL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.ac View Post
Sucks to hear that.

If you don't want to pay dealership prices, take it to any good independent shop. One that knows their way around Subaru's. Ask for a quote nothing else. Then go from there.

If you are worried about the recall, it's not that bad now. Poor FRS dudes got the shaft because Toyota mechanics where working on Subaru engines. The problem has now been fixed, Subaru sent more detailed information to Toyota mechanics so that problem has been fixed.

I got my recall work done last year, zero problems engine wise runs good and strong like the first time I bought it. Then again I have a brz so Subaru did the work.

Back to the original topic, chances are you might just need a new sensor and a re flash. But that's my guess.
I have already tried swapping camshaft position sensors to see if the code moves but it doesn’t so I’m gonna try getting the dealership to reflash my ECU to the updated version.
Old 07-02-2020, 10:24 PM   #7
7onasL

Quote:
Originally Posted by p1l0t View Post
I think* there are 5 total sensors. 4 camsensors and one crank sensor. If you already tried the new sensor in all four spots than maybe buy a crankshaft and try replacing that? (Or test it with a multimeter if you can find a good youTube video on it) I don't know what a crank sensor is supposed to read. The cam sensors you can just check against each other or the new one to find the bad guy with the oHms readout. Or you can move it to a different cylinder and see if the code changes to a different bank. I just did this on my Fiancée's imprezza a few months ago. It was tedious but I did get it after a few tries.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
Wow, I’ve read so many forums and posts about this issue but this is my first time hearing about the crank sensor. I might try getting a new one to see if the code still persists. Swapping the camshaft sensors didn’t seem to do anything so I don’t think it has anything to do with the camshaft sensors.
p1l0t (07-02-2020)