follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Forced Induction

Forced Induction Turbo, Supercharger, Methanol, Nitrous

User Tag List

Old 10-19-2023, 12:03 PM   #43
Spektyr

Drives: GR86
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Update? I'm interested it see how this is going.
Spektyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2023, 02:38 PM   #44
Texas2016Frs
Bottled FRS

Drives: 2016 manual frs
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spektyr View Post
Update? I'm interested it see how this is going.
I have been daily driving the car ever since install. I have never had a problem.

Power is great, and the car is much more fun to drive. I haven't been able to deplete the battery, even with very aggressive driving.

I reached out to Torque amp asked them if they would sponsor a dyno session.

They said that they would on the condition that I would need to make a materials list and install video for the car. I really don't want to mess with this.

I'm sure they would do the same for any ft86 owner. So if anyone bites let me know. Butt Dyno says downlow it may even be more powerful than some traditional FI's; however, it tapers off the boost very quickly over 6k RPM (less than 2 pounds at 7500).

Overall, I am very happy with the mod and would do it again. I think its a great option for a fast easy install and definitely adds a lot of power cheaper than a full FI system. It would not keep up with a traditional FI system up top; but it makes the car very fun to drive. You have so much more torque which makes highway overtakes a breeze in high gear.

Especially with the death of the Phantom I think that this product is a great fit for these cars, and they really shine on small engines like ours.
Texas2016Frs is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Texas2016Frs For This Useful Post:
Teseo (12-14-2023)
Old 12-14-2023, 06:24 PM   #45
Teseo

Drives: frs
Thanked 2,922 Times in 1,769 Posts
Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
I wish they sort it out all the needs for complete kit. Or did they have one?
Teseo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2023, 11:14 PM   #46
Texas2016Frs
Bottled FRS

Drives: 2016 manual frs
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teseo View Post
I wish they sort it out all the needs for complete kit. Or did they have one?
They only supply the compressor, battery, control box, and all necessary wires/connectors. If you use the linked parts you can get a complete kit for less than $100 for the additional parts. It's really just some tubes and odds and ends. I sent them the thread and they could probably make a kit just based off of the info in this thread alone.

Maybe if I have a boring weekend I'll measure everything again and make an install video, and then they will use that info to make a kit. They would also pay for my dyno. Just seems like a lot of work when I am already happy.
Texas2016Frs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2024, 11:59 AM   #47
Qwimby1

Drives: 14 FRS Monogram, 05 Mazdasped Miata
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
ESC upgrade

I've had my ESC for over a year and I'm delighted with it. Mine is version 2.5 with the two-position throttle switch. If I could get my hands on the version that has a sequential throttle I would really like that. I think that was version 3. If anyone knows where one of these might be available, or how this can be done, Id appreciate knowing that.

Thanks
Qwimby1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2024, 12:43 PM   #48
Qwimby1

Drives: 14 FRS Monogram, 05 Mazdasped Miata
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
I just read our colleague's observations after driving his newly-installed TorqAmp. Sounds like it's a winner, and if my ESC were to go out I would probably be a buyer. My main question is the TorqAmjp company and whether it's likely to be around a while to provide parts and possibly service. I did read that if you have to send anything in for repair it would have to be stripped overseas.

Something that also makes me wonder is that there are YouTube videos of it going back 2019, but very little information about any installed units other than what we have here on this forum. I'd like to know that the company is solid and is going to be available and that there are others out there that who can attest to the unit.

All of us who use the phantoms know that availability of parts or potential services a major concern.
Qwimby1 is offline   Reply With Quote