follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine, Exhaust, Transmission

Engine, Exhaust, Transmission Discuss the FR-S | 86 | BRZ engine, exhaust and drivetrain.

User Tag List

Old 12-11-2017, 01:22 PM   #225
Lakitu

Drives: 2017 Halo 86
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teseo View Post
First of, why you want CAI? Its proven with drop in panel filter and inlet hose give almost same result, just search. You can take that money and out towards other places
What about "dat CAI succ, bro" and the faster throttle response?
Old 12-11-2017, 01:52 PM   #226
JoeeStacks

Drives: Brz
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakitu View Post
Meh, I briefly looked into that stuff and damn its rough to get a solid grasp on. Should I just sell the OFT and get the car tuned in-shop?
Yeah, I did not bother with that scaling stuff. A reputable tuning shop will know what they're doing and produce better results than "scaling" the maf. OTS tunes are generic and for the UEL tune, it is based off the OFH. Not JDL in your case.

Generic meaning its for all UELs and not tuned for your specific header.
JoeeStacks is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to JoeeStacks For This Useful Post:
Lakitu (12-11-2017)
Old 12-11-2017, 09:50 PM   #227
NRXRaptor

Drives: BRZ
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
What about "dat CAI succ, bro" and the faster throttle response?
Gotta get dat good S U C C mang

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeeStacks View Post
Yeah, I did not bother with that scaling stuff. A reputable tuning shop will know what they're doing and produce better results than "scaling" the maf. OTS tunes are generic and for the UEL tune, it is based off the OFH. Not JDL in your case.

Generic meaning its for all UELs and not tuned for your specific header.
Still remember that the generic tune is still going to be pretty good. You also always have access to your tune, hence the name open flash tablet. If you change parts you just change the tune yourself. However, this requires knowledge or finding someone with the knowledge who is also willing to share.

When you get an ecutek tune you have to pay for the ecutek stuff and for the dyno time and for whoever is doing the tuning. If you change anything it's back to the dyno and more money out of your pocket for debatable gains. Probably from negligible to a small gain.

For a daily driver I would not recommend ecutek just because of the cost. For racing or for boosted people I'd go ecutek every time
NRXRaptor is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to NRXRaptor For This Useful Post:
Lakitu (12-12-2017), Teseo (12-11-2017)
Old 12-12-2017, 12:10 AM   #228
Spuds
The Dictater

Drives: '13 Red Scion FRS
Thanked 12,431 Times in 6,147 Posts
Mentioned: 85 Post(s)
Quote:
Meh, I briefly looked into that stuff and damn its rough to get a solid grasp on. Should I just sell the OFT and get the car tuned in-shop?
Maf scaling is actually pretty easy if all you want to do is get it close enough to not cause problems. Also, I believe Perrin has a maf scale they recommend for use with the cai. All you have to do is copy that into a file.

The software tuning section has some real helpful documentation to get you started and folks to answer questions. Getting set up does take some patience and research of terminology and tools, but its definitely worth it IMO and doesn't cost you any money.

Just a warning, you will never be able to un-see things that are less than perfect, which may cause anxiety and long hours spent looking at logs.
Spuds is offline   Reply With Quote