follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine, Exhaust, Transmission

Engine, Exhaust, Transmission Discuss the FR-S | 86 | BRZ engine, exhaust and drivetrain.

User Tag List

Old 12-09-2012, 10:25 PM   #113
EZWood
BAMF

Drives: 13 fr-s, whiteout, MT. 94 ZJ
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
" I also forgot to tighten the exhaust clamp and my AP catback hit the ground and was dragged for over a mile into the pits"
Still didn't answer my question, the above is a direct quote from your build thread. What did you not tighten to cause the exhaust to INITIALLY fall off. If you don't understand what initially means, you can look it up in a dictionary.
EZWood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 10:29 PM   #114
track_warrior
Track Junkie

Drives: Faster than the Stig!
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by EZWood View Post
" I also forgot to tighten the exhaust clamp and my AP catback hit the ground and was dragged for over a mile into the pits"
Still didn't answer my question, the above is a direct quote from your build thread. What did you not tighten to cause the exhaust to INITIALLY fall off. If you don't understand what initially means, you can look it up in a dictionary.

Dont know what vivid promised you man but like i said you are not me and you were not there, i had 4 witnesses that saw an exhaust pop off, we re tightened it and it still popped off. Giving them the benefit of the doubt was my mistake as well as purchasing a exhaust with cheap connections. Every single person here has bashed vivid with their connection setup, you are the only person who is defending them and we all know why! Now please go post on vivid's threads how much you love them and their products. Good luck doing your thing for them man, i have spent over 30k with them and look what i got........
Old 12-09-2012, 10:33 PM   #115
EZWood
BAMF

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcasso87 View Post
Dont know what vivid promised you man but like i said you are not me and you were not there, i had 4 witnesses that saw an exhaust pop off, we re tightened it and it still popped off. Giving them the benefit of the doubt was my mistake as well as purchasing a exhaust with cheap connections. Every single person here has bashed vivid with their connection setup, you are the only person who is defending them and we all know why! Now please go post on vivid's threads how much you love them and their products. Good luck doing your thing for them man, i have spent over 30k with them and look what i got........
I'm not getting anything from them. To answer your question earlier, I had one of the first exhausts from AP, I have auto crossed it, I installed it myself, I tightened everything good and tight and mine hasn't fallen off.

You still haven't answered my question as to what you didn't tighten to cause it to fall off the first time.
Old 12-09-2012, 10:39 PM   #116
track_warrior
Track Junkie

Quote:
I'm not getting anything from them. To answer your question earlier, I had one of the first exhausts from AP, I have auto crossed it, I installed it myself, I tightened everything good and tight and mine hasn't fallen off.

You still haven't answered my question as to what you didn't tighten to cause it to fall off the first time.
Here is what you should know.

The slip joint connecting the Y pipe to the mid pipe popped off, i thought i had not tightened it enough causing it to pop off. We checked the exhaust and the only thing damaged was the mid pipe since it hit the ground on the tracks uneaven surfaces. The slip joint was fine so we reconnected the mid pipe to the Y pipe and had the track mechanic inspect it. He checked it and said it was good to go, my next track day the pipe popped off again so this would discard your theory of me forgetting to tighten the slip joint. Then the right cannister was popping off and then the welds tore. I think this was clear enough.

Old 12-09-2012, 10:46 PM   #117
EZWood
BAMF

Quote:
Here is what you should know.

The slip joint connecting the Y pipe to the mid pipe popped off, i thought i had not tightened it enough causing it to pop off. We checked the exhaust and the only thing damaged was the mid pipe since it hit the ground on the tracks uneaven surfaces. The slip joint was fine so we reconnected the mid pipe to the Y pipe and had the track mechanic inspect it. He checked it and said it was good to go, my next track day the pipe popped off again so this would discard your theory of me forgetting to tighten the slip joint. Then the right cannister was popping off and then the welds tore. I think this was clear enough.

That was finally a solid answer. I apologise for harassing you about this, like I said I'm not receiving any compensation for me doing this, I just don't think it's right to bad mouth anyone for something that wasn't their fault, although I understand that their connections aren't the best. I'm sure they wouldn't have the reputation they have by being a perfect company. I went with ap because they were local and I liked the way the exhaust sounded.
Old 12-09-2012, 10:53 PM   #118
track_warrior
Track Junkie

Quote:
That was finally a solid answer. I apologise for harassing you about this, like I said I'm not receiving any compensation for me doing this, I just don't think it's right to bad mouth anyone for something that wasn't their fault. I'm sure they wouldn't have the reputation they have by being a perfect company. I went with ap because they were local and I liked the way the exhaust sounded.
I understand you might have doubts but in all honesty man i have absolutely nothing to gain from this. The AP rep after speaking with me said he had no idea how to make it right, i told him i did not want any money, parts, or anything for compensation. I told him what was done was done and i only wished for him to take a look at the design again and change it if necessary for the good of the community as well as change their customer service. He said he would look into the whole situation with Sean personally since he said he would have replaced it if he would have spoken to me earlier and had no idea why Sean had said it would not be replaced under warranty.

Anyways i hope you dont have any trouble with your exhaust but do understand that the abuse from Auto-X has nothing to do with the abuse of the track.

Here is why:

-Higher speed
-More vibrations
-WOT almost all the time
-More Heat
-Uneven road surfaces and bumps that cause things to get loose specially while cornering or at a high speed.
-While auto-xing you only do a run and stop you dont run the car for over 20 minutes non stop at full throttle.
Old 12-09-2012, 11:06 PM   #119
EZWood
BAMF

Quote:
I understand you might have doubts but in all honesty man i have absolutely nothing to gain from this. The AP rep after speaking with me said he had no idea how to make it right, i told him i did not want any money, parts, or anything for compensation. I told him what was done was done and i only wished for him to take a look at the design again and change it if necessary for the good of the community as well as change their customer service. He said he would look into the whole situation with Sean personally since he said he would have replaced it if he would have spoken to me earlier and had no idea why Sean had said it would not be replaced under warranty.

Anyways i hope you dont have any trouble with your exhaust but do understand that the abuse from Auto-X has nothing to do with the abuse of the track.

Here is why:

-Higher speed
-More vibrations
-WOT almost all the time
-More Heat
-Uneven road surfaces and bumps that cause things to get loose specially while cornering or at a high speed.
-While auto-xing you only do a run and stop you dont run the car for over 20 minutes non stop at full throttle.
Gotcha, I'll be sure to have connections welded if I track it.