follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum

Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum The place to start for the Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 | GT86

User Tag List

Old 08-12-2014, 12:43 PM   #1
hmong337
Emperor JDM

Drives: '91 MR2 Gen3 3SGTE, '13 FRS
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Replacement Windshield w/ blue shade band?

Woke up today to notice a crack along the passenger side windshield

Called around to get quotes and they had windshields with the blue band tint across the top.

Was wondering if anybody who has replaced their windshields has installed one with the blue shade band and how does it look? Are you happy with it?

For whatever reason, the ones with the blue shade band cost quite a bit less than the ones without.
Old 08-12-2014, 01:07 PM   #2
JohnJuan

Drives: 2013 FR-S, Hot Lava; 2012 Z1000 CBO
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
My parents had one on their '98 Suburban. It was quite pleasant from the passenger seat. I bet it would go nicely with your blue car.
JohnJuan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to JohnJuan For This Useful Post:
hmong337 (08-12-2014)
Old 08-12-2014, 01:39 PM   #3
CAMBAM_6
CAMBAM

Drives: '13 Whiteout FRS
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
I also have a crack from a small rock on the highway, does anybody know how much the OEM windshield costs? I dont want anything else, or a blue strip lol
Old 08-12-2014, 01:43 PM   #4
hmong337
Emperor JDM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAMBAM_6 View Post
I also have a crack from a small rock on the highway, does anybody know how much the OEM windshield costs? I dont want anything else, or a blue strip lol
Thanks for the thread jack

It was between 600-800 judging from what other have posted. Now GTFO
Old 08-12-2014, 01:44 PM   #5
Jrryjms07

Drives: 2013 Firestorm
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by hmong337 View Post
Woke up today to notice a crack along the passenger side windshield

Called around to get quotes and they had windshields with the blue band tint across the top.

Was wondering if anybody who has replaced their windshields has installed one with the blue shade band and how does it look? Are you happy with it?

For whatever reason, the ones with the blue shade band cost quite a bit less than the ones without.
That's because the blue shade is an aftermarket windshield. I had to replace my wife's when we drove out to CA in June. It's not really noticeable from the outside compared to the inside.

Too bad yu don't live near me as I could get you a way cheaper discount threw safelite
Jrryjms07 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jrryjms07 For This Useful Post:
hmong337 (08-12-2014)
Old 08-12-2014, 01:49 PM   #6
Frishkorn
Hi everybody!

Drives: 14 Whiteout FRS 6M. 16 Abyss iA 6A.
I had to replace mine three weeks after I drove it off the lot. Started off with a 4 inch long crack that in short order became a 2 1/2 foot crack. Cost me my deductible, but the price on the invoice for the replacement was $680.00. Wasn't OEM, Safelite wouldn't do OEM. Insurance company is partnered with Safelite. Toyota dealership quoted me $920.00 for an OEM windshield not installed.
Frishkorn is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Frishkorn For This Useful Post:
hmong337 (08-12-2014)
Old 08-12-2014, 03:30 PM   #7
CAMBAM_6
CAMBAM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frishkorn View Post
I had to replace mine three weeks after I drove it off the lot. Started off with a 4 inch long crack that in short order became a 2 1/2 foot crack. Cost me my deductible, but the price on the invoice for the replacement was $680.00. Wasn't OEM, Safelite wouldn't do OEM. Insurance company is partnered with Safelite. Toyota dealership quoted me $920.00 for an OEM windshield not installed.

That is ridiculously expensive...ill be riding with a crack for awhile
Old 08-12-2014, 03:32 PM   #8
CAMBAM_6
CAMBAM

Garage
Quote:
Thanks for the thread jack

It was between 600-800 judging from what other have posted. Now GTFO

Figured it was the same topic so why make a whole new thread then get for not doing a "search" lol

I got my answer so yeahhh
Old 08-12-2014, 03:33 PM   #9
microbionic

Drives: 2013 Subaru BRZ
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frishkorn View Post

how does it look, ... safelite refused to put in their glass,...twice for me,.. said they would not be able to make it as good as it should with their aftermarket... something with the gaskets not lining up correctly
microbionic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 06:37 PM   #10
hmong337
Emperor JDM

Just to throw it out there, I got quotes ranging from $235-$469+tax installed. All aftermarket of course.

The one place quoted me $235 w/ tint band and $297 w/o tint band. You would think the ones with the tint band would be more but it is the exact opposite.

I'll post a pic of the crack when I get home. This sucks either way...
Old 08-12-2014, 09:23 PM   #11
extrashaky

Drives: 2014 BRZ Limited
Thanked 5,618 Times in 2,266 Posts
Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
I had mine replaced with the green tint/green shade. I like it. The strip across the top is very subtle, not at all like those ridiculous strips the window tinting companies put on there. You don't see a solid line like with tint film, but rather a subtle fade from the top. The only time you ever even realize it's there is when the sun is shining through it. Otherwise it's actually kind of hard to see, and I doubt it would even show up on a photo.

I would stick with the green tint, however. The standard tint color for the glass on this car is a very subtle green, and I'm not sure the blue would look right.

As for cost, I had mine replaced with APTech glass, which is OEM equivalent, for $420 all in. The green band was $2 more than the unbanded one, and the blue band was the same price as the green band. I actually like the replacement windshield more than the original glass because the dot matrix strip around the rear view mirror is more dense than the original, which I think looks a little better. If you can get a reputable brand like Pilkington or APTech, the quality will be equal to or better than original.

BTW, Safelite wanted to charge me $520 and couldn't pencil me in for an appointment for a week. I looked at reviews online of other glass shops in my area and found a reputable one that not only stocked good glass but also was able to get me in and out in 90 minutes the next day, AND they saved me $100. Forget Safelite and go local.

Quote:
The one place quoted me $235 w/ tint band and $297 w/o tint band. You would think the ones with the tint band would be more but it is the exact opposite.
Ask them what brand that glass is, then search for opinions on that brand. If it's that cheap, it may not be a reputable brand. I had cheap Chinese glass put in my Jeep, and it was fine for that purpose. I wouldn't put cheap Chinese glass in my BRZ, though.
extrashaky is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to extrashaky For This Useful Post:
hmong337 (08-12-2014)
Old 08-12-2014, 09:54 PM   #12
hmong337
Emperor JDM

Quote:
Originally Posted by extrashaky View Post
I had mine replaced with the green tint/green shade. I like it. The strip across the top is very subtle, not at all like those ridiculous strips the window tinting companies put on there. You don't see a solid line like with tint film, but rather a subtle fade from the top. The only time you ever even realize it's there is when the sun is shining through it. Otherwise it's actually kind of hard to see, and I doubt it would even show up on a photo.

I would stick with the green tint, however. The standard tint color for the glass on this car is a very subtle green, and I'm not sure the blue would look right.

As for cost, I had mine replaced with APTech glass, which is OEM equivalent, for $420 all in. The green band was $2 more than the unbanded one, and the blue band was the same price as the green band. I actually like the replacement windshield more than the original glass because the dot matrix strip around the rear view mirror is more dense than the original, which I think looks a little better. If you can get a reputable brand like Pilkington or APTech, the quality will be equal to or better than original.

BTW, Safelite wanted to charge me $520 and couldn't pencil me in for an appointment for a week. I looked at reviews online of other glass shops in my area and found a reputable one that not only stocked good glass but also was able to get me in and out in 90 minutes the next day, AND they saved me $100. Forget Safelite and go local.

Ask them what brand that glass is, then search for opinions on that brand. If it's that cheap, it may not be a reputable brand. I had cheap Chinese glass put in my Jeep, and it was fine for that purpose. I wouldn't put cheap Chinese glass in my BRZ, though.
Wow! Thanks for the awesome info! Out of all the years and all the cars I've been through, this is the first windshield I will be replacing. I will certainly call back to ask what brand of glass they use. Like yourself, I don't want to cheap out on the FRS. But on the flipside, I don't want to get raped on OEM glass.
Old 08-12-2014, 10:48 PM   #13
extrashaky

Drives: 2014 BRZ Limited
Thanked 5,618 Times in 2,266 Posts
Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Quote:
Wow! Thanks for the awesome info! Out of all the years and all the cars I've been through, this is the first windshield I will be replacing. I will certainly call back to ask what brand of glass they use. Like yourself, I don't want to cheap out on the FRS. But on the flipside, I don't want to get raped on OEM glass.
I had all the same questions. What I discovered in my research is that companies like Pilkington, APTech, PPG and some others are actually OEM for some cars and aftermarket for others. For example, APTech is not OEM for our cars, but they make the OEM windshields for some of the Hondas. So while they don't supply the windshields to the factory that makes our cars, the quality of their product is likely to be equal to OEM without necessarily carrying the same price tag. As I said above, I actually like my replacement windshield better than the original.

That's why I say to find out what brand glass they're offering and look for opinions on line. I had some rather strong suggestions on this board to go with Pilkington and actually thought that's what I was buying, but for some reason the shop installed APTech instead. I was mad at first and was considering taking it back and making them install what I asked for, but when I read some reviews of APTech and found that it was generally regarded favorably, I left it in there. I doubt the Pilkington glass would have made me any happier.

My Jeep's glass doesn't even have a maker's mark on it. I paid $150 for it. It was probably made with Indonesian child labor.
extrashaky is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to extrashaky For This Useful Post:
8R6 (08-25-2014), hmong337 (08-12-2014), Tcoat (01-22-2015)
Old 08-13-2014, 07:14 AM   #14
Frishkorn
Hi everybody!

Drives: 14 Whiteout FRS 6M. 16 Abyss iA 6A.
Quote:
Originally Posted by microbionic View Post
how does it look, ... safelite refused to put in their glass,...twice for me,.. said they would not be able to make it as good as it should with their aftermarket... something with the gaskets not lining up correctly
Funny you have mentioned that. I've noticed the past couple days (It's been raining) there is a minor leak on the bottom of the windshield and condensation is building up on the inside of the windshield. Going to have to call them to come back out and fix it. I'll let them know other installers are having issues with the gaskets lining up. Other then the leak though it looks great and has the same tinting on the top to match the OEM version.
Frishkorn is offline   Reply With Quote