follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Software Tuning

Software Tuning Discuss all software tuning topics.

User Tag List

Old 08-05-2020, 11:43 PM   #1
AEBRacing

Drives: Toyota FT86
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
OFT is really suitable for FI Systems?

Hi friends, is a pleasure to be part of this forum!!!

I am looking for a proper flashing device to be used in my FT86 MT.
In a short time, my objective is to improve the ECU map with aspirated engine, but in a midle time I will install a FI system, for that reazon the flashing device must be proper to be used with both mods (aspirated and FI system)

My first question is if the OFT is suitable to be used with a FI system, like SBD 500X, JDL or similar one, in case of yes, what kind of map could you find into the OTS (off-the shelf) site? Is posible to find maps for SBD 500 or JDL turbo kit? OFT is really proper for the FI systems?

I know that OFT is very friendly to be used with the aspirated engines, but I didnt find enogth info for FI engines

I am just an amateur in ECU tuning, I am looking a friendly flashing device

Thanks!

Last edited by AEBRacing; 08-05-2020 at 11:47 PM. Reason: misspelling
AEBRacing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2020, 12:13 AM   #2
BlOody_BoOger

Drives: Hot lava FRS Monogram Charizard
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by AEBRacing View Post

In a short time, my objective is to improve the ECU map with aspirated engine, but in a midle time I will install a FI system, for that reazon the flashing device must be proper to be used with both mods (aspirated and FI system)

My first question is if the OFT is suitable to be used with a FI system, like SBD 500X, JDL or similar one, in case of yes, what kind of map could you find into the OTS (off-the shelf) site? Is posible to find maps for SBD 500 or JDL turbo kit? OFT is really proper for the FI systems?

I know that OFT is very friendly to be used with the aspirated engines, but I didnt find enogth info for FI engines

Thanks!
If you plan on tuning yourself it can be a great option if you plan on getting tuned at a local tuner then no for two reasons most tuners don't use OFT and tuning on OFT takes a long time to reflash, upload and load data logs. So Dyno time would get really expensive really fast.

Sent from my GM1915 using Tapatalk
BlOody_BoOger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2020, 01:07 AM   #3
kev0

Drives: '14
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Here's a copy & paste I found on Facebook. Hopefully it'll help you out.

Friendly debate/rant/review all of thee above based on some messages I get from friends when seeking turbo tuning advice(perfect for all the new kits going out).

BLUF(‘bottom line up front’ for the non-military folk(smart people): You CAN safely enjoy your new turbo kit for $245 and an OFT(no you don’t need E85)

I’m going to try to keep it short but there’s so much lol. All too often we hear something along the lines of “OFT, trash...EcuTek is the wtg etc.” Product for product, clearly you get what you pay for. My issue is there seems to be a misconception that you can’t obtain a decent turbo tune from the OFT team and that’s false.

Myth busting 101, exhibit A. Dyno: A whomping 230whp @7psi(wastegate only + bleeder valve) 93 Octane 100* degrees peak mid-day in Texas. I dyno’d at the absolute worst part of the day for a reason. Clearly it’s extremely conservative tune hence the timing and AFR on the richer side(see datalog). With the compression in these vehicles it does not take much boost for things to get wicked, fast. It is not hard to tune these vehicles to the point of known mechanical failures before a “which tuner should I use,” conversation even begins to take place. Hell, let’s take it two steps back & talk proper vehicle maintenance, perhaps?!

Shiv took the time to put together a base turbo tune with a speed density base function under WOT, over-boost protection feature & still uses your MAF for part throttle cruising, delivering exception MPG. Honestly, 230whp is fun & I did eventually turn it up a bit to the recommended 10psi but I wasn’t exactly in a hurry to roast the clutch.

That aside, the EcuTek is the superior tuning product. Is it necessary for boosted applications? No. I hate to break to you but with all that fancy technology there it’s ABSOLUTELY no way anyone tuned on EcuTek maps should have to pay more than a $100 for a license with an authorized dealer/tuner then the $300-$600 for the dyno and/or street tune. Period. To say someone has to spend $6-700 for software/hardware just to GO GET TUNED is crazy, sorry not sorry. Especially if you aren’t a tuner & don’t plan to be. I tuned ample vehicles with my 1 HPTuners cable(in 2007!) & all they paid for was the license($99) for their vehicle + my fees/time/tuning. You all have to rid that for the future, seriously(if I’m mistaken please lmk). I don’t mind spending $500+ with the right tuner on a dyno. Unless you’re an actual tuner there is no reason to own/operate the software/cable that’s why you pay the tuner in the first place & they lock the tune anyway! Let’s think about that for a sec....

Now, OFT.......the product works! With that being said if I could give a F+ for the customer service experience they’d be prime candidates until I drove the car!�� This e-tuning process blows, requires some extra DIY’er genes in you along with a TON of patience and/or discipline(see parenting and/or supervising books). The amount of times I want to throw the tablet out the window based on the damn intermittent cable shutting the unit off alone should be a crime! Loading a tune, flashing a tune, logging a tune....then...wait for it....RESET the process! It is not for the faint of heart. Happiness is purely based on your reality vs expectations, expect some suck in this process.

When you recommend Bill & the guys at Delicious Tuning, recommend them SOLELY based on what they’re exceptional at & that is providing that SUPERB customer service along with their immense tuning capabilities. They make EcuTek look good. I met him when he flew out here to personally dial in a buddy’s vehicle & there is DEFINITELY a reason they have the rep they do, hands down.

If you’re the type to pay someone to install your turbo kit; 100% go EcuTEK/Delicious Tuning to limit the headaches & wait time. If you got bills, kids, a mortgage with an OFT tablet already in hand...Shiv + a good book + your liquor of choice�� 10 out of 10 times! Yes, Shiv knows what the heck he is doing, yes he’s a busy man but I believe in calling it like it is. He’s a proven tuner & really doesn’t get enough credit amongst our community. Think about it, how many legit tuners do we really have?! Name (5)....Does he need to hire some extra assistants? Possibly. But the OFT tablet can get it done ladies & gentleman. I personally am not about to spend another $1000 for 300whp on a stock block when I need to be building a spare(or acquire an FA24 bottom end��).
kev0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2020, 01:30 PM   #4
CSG Mike

Drives: S2000 CR
Thanked 14,166 Times in 6,828 Posts
Mentioned: 966 Post(s)
Tagged: 14 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kev0 View Post

Friendly debate/rant/review all of thee above based on some messages I get from friends when seeking turbo tuning advice(perfect for all the new kits going out).

BLUF(‘bottom line up front’ for the non-military folk(smart people): You CAN safely enjoy your new turbo kit for $245 and an OFT(no you don’t need E85)

I’m going to try to keep it short but there’s so much lol. All too often we hear something along the lines of “OFT, trash...EcuTek is the wtg etc.” Product for product, clearly you get what you pay for. My issue is there seems to be a misconception that you can’t obtain a decent turbo tune from the OFT team and that’s false.

Myth busting 101, exhibit A. Dyno: A whomping 230whp @7psi(wastegate only + bleeder valve) 93 Octane 100* degrees peak mid-day in Texas. I dyno’d at the absolute worst part of the day for a reason. Clearly it’s extremely conservative tune hence the timing and AFR on the richer side(see datalog). With the compression in these vehicles it does not take much boost for things to get wicked, fast. It is not hard to tune these vehicles to the point of known mechanical failures before a “which tuner should I use,” conversation even begins to take place. Hell, let’s take it two steps back & talk proper vehicle maintenance, perhaps?!

Shiv took the time to put together a base turbo tune with a speed density base function under WOT, over-boost protection feature & still uses your MAF for part throttle cruising, delivering exception MPG. Honestly, 230whp is fun & I did eventually turn it up a bit to the recommended 10psi but I wasn’t exactly in a hurry to roast the clutch.

That aside, the EcuTek is the superior tuning product. Is it necessary for boosted applications? No. I hate to break to you but with all that fancy technology there it’s ABSOLUTELY no way anyone tuned on EcuTek maps should have to pay more than a $100 for a license with an authorized dealer/tuner then the $300-$600 for the dyno and/or street tune. Period. To say someone has to spend $6-700 for software/hardware just to GO GET TUNED is crazy, sorry not sorry. Especially if you aren’t a tuner & don’t plan to be. I tuned ample vehicles with my 1 HPTuners cable(in 2007!) & all they paid for was the license($99) for their vehicle + my fees/time/tuning. You all have to rid that for the future, seriously(if I’m mistaken please lmk). I don’t mind spending $500+ with the right tuner on a dyno. Unless you’re an actual tuner there is no reason to own/operate the software/cable that’s why you pay the tuner in the first place & they lock the tune anyway! Let’s think about that for a sec....

Now, OFT.......the product works! With that being said if I could give a F+ for the customer service experience they’d be prime candidates until I drove the car!�� This e-tuning process blows, requires some extra DIY’er genes in you along with a TON of patience and/or discipline(see parenting and/or supervising books). The amount of times I want to throw the tablet out the window based on the damn intermittent cable shutting the unit off alone should be a crime! Loading a tune, flashing a tune, logging a tune....then...wait for it....RESET the process! It is not for the faint of heart. Happiness is purely based on your reality vs expectations, expect some suck in this process.

When you recommend Bill & the guys at Delicious Tuning, recommend them SOLELY based on what they’re exceptional at & that is providing that SUPERB customer service along with their immense tuning capabilities. They make EcuTek look good. I met him when he flew out here to personally dial in a buddy’s vehicle & there is DEFINITELY a reason they have the rep they do, hands down.

If you’re the type to pay someone to install your turbo kit; 100% go EcuTEK/Delicious Tuning to limit the headaches & wait time. If you got bills, kids, a mortgage with an OFT tablet already in hand...Shiv + a good book + your liquor of choice�� 10 out of 10 times! Yes, Shiv knows what the heck he is doing, yes he’s a busy man but I believe in calling it like it is. He’s a proven tuner & really doesn’t get enough credit amongst our community. Think about it, how many legit tuners do we really have?! Name (5)....Does he need to hire some extra assistants? Possibly. But the OFT tablet can get it done ladies & gentleman. I personally am not about to spend another $1000 for 300whp on a stock block when I need to be building a spare(or acquire an FA24 bottom end��).
Just a FYI, Zach has since left Delicious Tuning, and is now at CSG.
CSG Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2020, 01:47 PM   #5
pope
has a funny hat

Drives: 2014 BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quote:

Thanks!

OFT's Off the shelf free tune files are not intended for FI. However, using an editing program (e.g. RomRaider) you can create tune files for FI and then use the OFT to flash the ECM.

As others have pointed out, finding a tuner to do this for you could be difficult or impossible. And, unless you know what you are doing (or your budget for engines is unlimited) tuning can rapidly turn an engine into a pile of scrap metal if done incorrectly.

OFT does offer a custom tuning service. The price of the service plus the price of the OFT tablet might be cheaper than having a dyno tune done by a local shop. However, there are many reports around the forum of OFT customer service being slow (I have no first hand experience with OFT). Even with a rapid turn-around OFT custom tuning could require repeated cycles of datalog, tune update, datalog, tune update, etc. until the tune is refined for your build (depending on how optimized you want it) and this will be a slower process than taking the car to a professional tuner with a dyno. But, if you are not in a hurry OFT custom tuning is an option.

In regards to tuning yourself, there are plenty of guides around the forum and internet about using RomRaider and explanations of the different tables in a tune file. Look for them, read them, then download and install RomRaider, download the off the shelf OFT tunes, and re-read the tuning guides while looking at the tune files and comparing to the OEM tables. Then, re-read the guides again. Once you have a thorough understanding of how the ECM controls the engine, reflect on how comfortable you are editing the tables and tuning your engine yourself. Then, if you believe you are ready to create a pile of scrap if you fail, build a tune for something like 10psi, set your boost controller to 1psi and see what your datalogs say. Then, try 2psi. Slowly work your up toward your target and adjust as needed. It's science not magic.

Additionally, (and to confuse you further) a Tactrix Openport 2.0 and Tactrix EcuFlash on a laptop can be used to edit and flash OFT (and other RomRaider created) tune files for the 86 Twins when using the correct definition file and is roughly 1/3 the price of the OFT. This is a true budget DIY option though. Definitely not finding a tuner to do this for you and there is no tuning service either.
pope is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to pope For This Useful Post:
brianbui23 (02-03-2022)
Old 08-06-2020, 02:55 PM   #6
86TOYO2k17

Drives: 2017 toyota 86
Thanked 1,188 Times in 781 Posts
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Get a OFT V1 used for 350$ or less, when you go to FI sell the OFT for no loss, and get ecutek custom tune.
86TOYO2k17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2020, 03:04 PM   #7
BlOody_BoOger

Drives: Hot lava FRS Monogram Charizard
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
You could always get your custom OFT tune done by some of the tuners here on the forums, there are several guys who do costum OFT tunes. And it's much faster and more 1on1 that OFP tuners

BlOody_BoOger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2020, 09:02 PM   #8
AEBRacing

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlOody_BoOger View Post
If you plan on tuning yourself it can be a great option if you plan on getting tuned at a local tuner then no for two reasons most tuners don't use OFT and tuning on OFT takes a long time to reflash, upload and load data logs. So Dyno time would get really expensive really fast.

Thanks a lot for yor comment. Lately I prefer not to leave the car in other people's hands, for that reason I am looking for a way to do the flashing myself but with a simple device because I am an amateur with not experiance in that.

So, OFT has enough available maps to be used with FI systems, doesn't it ?
Old 08-06-2020, 09:53 PM   #9
AEBRacing

Quote:
Originally Posted by pope View Post
OFT's Off the shelf free tune files are not intended for FI. However, using an editing program (e.g. RomRaider) you can create tune files for FI and then use the OFT to flash the ECM.

As others have pointed out, finding a tuner to do this for you could be difficult or impossible. And, unless you know what you are doing (or your budget for engines is unlimited) tuning can rapidly turn an engine into a pile of scrap metal if done incorrectly.

OFT does offer a custom tuning service. The price of the service plus the price of the OFT tablet might be cheaper than having a dyno tune done by a local shop. However, there are many reports around the forum of OFT customer service being slow (I have no first hand experience with OFT). Even with a rapid turn-around OFT custom tuning could require repeated cycles of datalog, tune update, datalog, tune update, etc. until the tune is refined for your build (depending on how optimized you want it) and this will be a slower process than taking the car to a professional tuner with a dyno. But, if you are not in a hurry OFT custom tuning is an option.

In regards to tuning yourself, there are plenty of guides around the forum and internet about using RomRaider and explanations of the different tables in a tune file. Look for them, read them, then download and install RomRaider, download the off the shelf OFT tunes, and re-read the tuning guides while looking at the tune files and comparing to the OEM tables. Then, re-read the guides again. Once you have a thorough understanding of how the ECM controls the engine, reflect on how comfortable you are editing the tables and tuning your engine yourself. Then, if you believe you are ready to create a pile of scrap if you fail, build a tune for something like 10psi, set your boost controller to 1psi and see what your datalogs say. Then, try 2psi. Slowly work your up toward your target and adjust as needed. It's science not magic.

Additionally, (and to confuse you further) a Tactrix Openport 2.0 and Tactrix EcuFlash on a laptop can be used to edit and flash OFT (and other RomRaider created) tune files for the 86 Twins when using the correct definition file and is roughly 1/3 the price of the OFT. This is a true budget DIY option though. Definitely not finding a tuner to do this for you and there is no tuning service either.
Super clear!!! After read your comment I belive the OFT device is not an option for me, for 2 reason, first I never developed a flash tune, so I am not able to take risk to damage the engine during the process, and second here in Argentina is not easy to find a tuner with experiance using OFT.

The only way the OFT could be an alternative for me is this device has already a flash file develped for diferent brand of the turbo kit e.g. SBD, JDL, etc.

My am understanding is there are no flashing files available for the FI systems in the OFT web side, isn´t it?
Old 08-06-2020, 09:58 PM   #10
AEBRacing

Quote:
Originally Posted by kev0 View Post

thanks for sharing this POV!!!
Old 08-07-2020, 09:56 AM   #11
pope
has a funny hat

Drives: 2014 BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quote:
After read your comment I belive the OFT device is not an option for me, for 2 reason, first I never developed a flash tune, so I am not able to take risk to damage the engine during the process, and second here in Argentina is not easy to find a tuner with experiance using OFT.
I feel like my previous response might have been overly cautious to keep your expectations in check.

As explained by others, you could still buy an OFT tablet and get a tune from another member of this site instead of relying on OFT or a local (to you) dyno tuner. Also, the OFT tablets currently hold value well, so if you bought a used OFT while you are still NA, you will likely be able to sell it for the same price you paid (or nearly) if you decide to have a dyno tune done when switching to FI.

Quote:
The only way the OFT could be an alternative for me is this device has already a flash file develped for diferent brand of the turbo kit e.g. SBD, JDL, etc.
Differences in turbo pipe design, turbo model, fuel type, injector size, compression ration, rear gear ratio, manufacturing tolerances, etc. will all impact the tune. There is no reason to assume a tune optimized for one turbo kit will be correct for a different turbo kit unless the tune is so safe the turbo kit is more of a show piece than a power adder.

But again, you can find other OFT users that will write tunes for you. Or, if you are patient, you can have OFT create a custom tune for you; a decent tuner (and every report I’ve seen is that Shiv at OFT is much better than decent) will start by creating a tune that keeps the engine safe for the setup being tuned. The more experience a tuner has (especially with the engine type being tuned) the closer the initial tune will be to the final tune. Data logging and revising the tune allows the tuner to optimize for the little differences that creep in from the aforementioned things, but a good safe initial tune is often usable, it’s just not perfect for getting maximum power.

Quote:
My am understanding is there are no flashing files available for the FI systems in the OFT web side, isn´t it?
You can go to the OFT website and create an account and download the available free tune files without ever buying an OFT tablet. Even without creating an account you can read the FAQ’s at the OFT site that explain what the available tune files are for. Spoiler: Stock engine, Catted Header, Cattless Header, and E85 are the four free tunes available for the 86 twins.

If you create an account and download the OFT tune files, you can then look around the web and find a copy of the OEM tune (calibration) file, then go download RomRaider and start comparing the files. Find a subaru tuning guide to explain what each table is for. Even if you never tune an engine yourself, learning about how it’s done and what is changed and why will give you a better understanding of what you need in a tune and a tuner.
pope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2020, 08:19 PM   #12
AEBRacing

Quote:
Originally Posted by pope View Post
I feel like my previous response might have been overly cautious to keep your expectations in check.

As explained by others, you could still buy an OFT tablet and get a tune from another member of this site instead of relying on OFT or a local (to you) dyno tuner. Also, the OFT tablets currently hold value well, so if you bought a used OFT while you are still NA, you will likely be able to sell it for the same price you paid (or nearly) if you decide to have a dyno tune done when switching to FI.

Differences in turbo pipe design, turbo model, fuel type, injector size, compression ration, rear gear ratio, manufacturing tolerances, etc. will all impact the tune. There is no reason to assume a tune optimized for one turbo kit will be correct for a different turbo kit unless the tune is so safe the turbo kit is more of a show piece than a power adder.

But again, you can find other OFT users that will write tunes for you. Or, if you are patient, you can have OFT create a custom tune for you; a decent tuner (and every report I’ve seen is that Shiv at OFT is much better than decent) will start by creating a tune that keeps the engine safe for the setup being tuned. The more experience a tuner has (especially with the engine type being tuned) the closer the initial tune will be to the final tune. Data logging and revising the tune allows the tuner to optimize for the little differences that creep in from the aforementioned things, but a good safe initial tune is often usable, it’s just not perfect for getting maximum power.

You can go to the OFT website and create an account and download the available free tune files without ever buying an OFT tablet. Even without creating an account you can read the FAQ’s at the OFT site that explain what the available tune files are for. Spoiler: Stock engine, Catted Header, Cattless Header, and E85 are the four free tunes available for the 86 twins.

If you create an account and download the OFT tune files, you can then look around the web and find a copy of the OEM tune (calibration) file, then go download RomRaider and start comparing the files. Find a subaru tuning guide to explain what each table is for. Even if you never tune an engine yourself, learning about how it’s done and what is changed and why will give you a better understanding of what you need in a tune and a tuner.
Very good point, I will consider your advice. Thanks for your time!!!
Old 08-12-2020, 02:14 AM   #13
FRSBRZGT86FAN

Drives: 2023 GR SUPRA,15 FR-S (SOLD)
Thanked 2,100 Times in 1,397 Posts
Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Super clear!!! After read your comment I belive the OFT device is not an option for me, for 2 reason, first I never developed a flash tune, so I am not able to take risk to damage the engine during the process, and second here in Argentina is not easy to find a tuner with experiance using OFT.

I've had an OFT since 2015 for an NA car and have made tons of edits based on Steve99 and Waynos guides here on the forums on shivs OTS tunes as they got released. I have enjoyed it quite a bit.

However, you are correct that OFT would not be ideal for FI especially e-tuning. There are difficulties in getting email responses and you have to ping him multiple times on forums and facebook just to get any traction on any major issues. I've been lucky and not needed assistance but it's not worth dealing with it for FI. Also the tablet itself has a few weird connection works with the connector, which I'm not sure the new one or the new connector has. The OFM software is also quite janky and has glitches.

For NA however and simple mods OFT is an absolute blast Stage 1, 2 and 2 e85 like I'm running are amazing. Torque dip is gone and a lot of the roughness is gone from idle and starts and stops and what not and with several edits I've improved the engine bay temperatures and what not.

But to answer your question they had tune files available at some point in a base format for the SBD kit but they since have gotten rid of them. I would reccomend getting delicious tuning for your FI kit when you do go that route.
*SOLD*OFT Stage 2 UEL E85/Nameless Performance 3 inch axleback with 5 inch mufflers/ TRD CAI / CNT UEL/ Cusco Strut BAR & LHD Brake Stop / "JDM" Toyota Badges / WinJet JDM headlights - DRL MOD from fteightysix.com - 5000K Diode Dynamics HID kit / Diode Dynamics LED interior Lights and sidemarker bulbs / JDM Clear Sidemarkers / Diode Dynamics LED switchbacks/ OLM LED rear turn signals / Tap Turn Relay*SOLD*
FRSBRZGT86FAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2020, 08:49 AM   #14
Ernest72

Drives: 16 Silver BRZ, 04 Silver WRX wagon
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
With years of experience in this tuning my 04 WRX since 2003, my opinion is the two platforms are two different things.

1. OFT is for the plug and play DIY person and for people who are going to gradually modify their car and will tune multiple times. Don’t want to get a protune for stage 1 , then stage 2 , then FI. That would be expensive.

2. Protune Ecutek is for the person who gets all the mods at once and gets the car tuned by a professional. Sort of set it and forget it. You did your research ahead of time and are going all in. Tuners often will optimize and tweak for a lower cost after initial tune.

This is similar to the Cobb accessport vs Ecutek debate except more tuners use Accessport and the Cobb customer service is way better.

For me if I was going FI, I would go Ecutek for set it and forget it, because I don’t have that much time to try to tweak and tune myself. It’s my DD, so even though I have another car, I don’t want the car down because I am messing shit up or waiting on someone.

Since I am staying NA I went with OFT, did stage 1 and then stage 2. Have thought about the etune, but figured why pay 250 for so little. If I get bored I might try Wayno but for now the car drives great and it’s my DD and weekend spirited runs.
Ernest72 is offline   Reply With Quote