follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing

Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing Relating to suspension, chassis, and brakes. Sponsored by 949 Racing.

User Tag List

Old 03-23-2021, 03:48 AM   #43
strat61caster
-

Drives: '13 FRS - STX
Thanked 9,470 Times in 4,993 Posts
Mentioned: 94 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Oh right, the issue isn't the ball joint but rather the thickness of the center bit as it crosses across the strut body, my bad you're right the hotchkis is going to be your best bet.

All my rubbing has been due to camber plates moving the spherical into contact with the chassis. When the center bit got close I used a washer to space the end link off the strut body, but I know ohlins have a different end link mount point. Good luck.
strat61caster is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to strat61caster For This Useful Post:
RayRay88 (03-23-2021)
Old 03-23-2021, 12:02 PM   #44
Adamf220

Drives: 2013 frs
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
I talked to ohlins and they claim they are working on an updated sway bar mount. Why its taken them this long to revise it is beyond me, also weather or not we will actually be able to get them is still a mystery. I am getting my car ready for the year and am thinking about mounting the sway bar to the lower control arm. I have a set of whiteline endlinks that i am going to cut way down and just drill a hole in the arm to mount it too. Seem like the only solution to me. Might talk to racer X and see if he cant make me some custom endlinks that are much shorter.
Adamf220 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Adamf220 For This Useful Post:
RayRay88 (03-23-2021)
Old 03-23-2021, 12:17 PM   #45
RayRay88

Drives: 2017 86 860 Special Edition
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adamf220 View Post
I talked to ohlins and they claim they are working on an updated sway bar mount. Why its taken them this long to revise it is beyond me, also weather or not we will actually be able to get them is still a mystery. I am getting my car ready for the year and am thinking about mounting the sway bar to the lower control arm. I have a set of whiteline endlinks that i am going to cut way down and just drill a hole in the arm to mount it too. Seem like the only solution to me. Might talk to racer X and see if he cant make me some custom endlinks that are much shorter.
Very curious about this redesigned bracket. Keep us posted if you hear anything else.

I know whiteline and other manufacturers have generic length endlinks you can always find. Just need to know the specs of what you need.
RayRay88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2021, 12:20 PM   #46
Racecomp Engineering

Drives: 2016 BRZ, 2012 Paris Di2 & 2018 STI
Thanked 7,233 Times in 2,957 Posts
Mentioned: 303 Post(s)
Tagged: 9 Thread(s)
Send a message via AIM to Racecomp Engineering
Quote:
The issue with mounting the swaybar to the lower control arm is that you'll change the motion ratio of the bar and reduce the effectiveness of the bar.

How short do you need the endlink?

- Andrew
Racecomp Engineering is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Racecomp Engineering For This Useful Post:
RayRay88 (03-23-2021)
Old 03-23-2021, 12:20 PM   #47
Adamf220

The problem is finding a endlink with 14mm ball joints, which i havent been able to find in a very short length. I wanted to use the wrx ones since they would be perfect but they use a 10mm ball joint. I have my front shock tubes at ohlins right now having the bushings replaced. They are supposed to get back to me on the updated bracket this week.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayRay88 View Post
Very curious about this redesigned bracket. Keep us posted if you hear anything else.

I know whiteline and other manufacturers have generic length endlinks you can always find. Just need to know the specs of what you need.
RayRay88 (03-23-2021)
Old 03-23-2021, 12:23 PM   #48
Adamf220

I was wondering how this would effect the sway bar. Why do you think it would change the motion rate of the sway bar? I would say endlink to endlink about 5-6 inches to keep the bar level ill have to do some measurements when I get home.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racecomp Engineering View Post
The issue with mounting the swaybar to the lower control arm is that you'll change the motion ratio of the bar and reduce the effectiveness of the bar.

How short do you need the endlink?

- Andrew
Old 03-23-2021, 12:47 PM   #49
Racecomp Engineering

Drives: 2016 BRZ, 2012 Paris Di2 & 2018 STI
Thanked 7,233 Times in 2,957 Posts
Mentioned: 303 Post(s)
Tagged: 9 Thread(s)
Send a message via AIM to Racecomp Engineering
Quote:
I was wondering how this would effect the sway bar. Why do you think it would change the motion rate of the sway bar? I would say endlink to endlink about 5-6 inches to keep the bar level ill have to do some measurements when I get home.
You're likely going to have to mount more inboard on the control arm, which would be a lower motion ratio than mounting on the strut itself. That's if you can get it all to fit.

The problem here is the endlink mounting bracket on the Ohlins...I wouldn't do any drastic changes to the rest of the car to fix that specific problem.

- Andrew
Racecomp Engineering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2021, 12:57 PM   #50
Adamf220

I am just going to go straight down from the sway bar and mount to the control arm. It should be the same distance left and right as it was when connected to the strut. Also when its connected to the strut the end link is moving all around when the wheel is turned so wouldn't that be effecting the motion ratio of the sway bar? The problem is, that I need to connect the sway bar to something and my ohlins mounts broke. They will not sell you the bracket and why would I buy one if I am just going to break it again. I am not confident that they have a revised one done or if it will even be available for purchase.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racecomp Engineering View Post
You're likely going to have to mount more inboard on the control arm, which would be a lower motion ratio than mounting on the strut itself. That's if you can get it all to fit.

The problem here is the endlink mounting bracket on the Ohlins...I wouldn't do any drastic changes to the rest of the car to fix that specific problem.

- Andrew
Old 03-23-2021, 12:59 PM   #51
strat61caster
-

Drives: '13 FRS - STX
Thanked 9,470 Times in 4,993 Posts
Mentioned: 94 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
That seems way fucking harder and more prone to unintended consequences then taking a set of OE endlinks to a welder and getting them shortened by an inch or whatever Ohlins recommends.
strat61caster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2021, 01:04 PM   #52
Adamf220

That may be but I have no choice in the matter I have nothing to connect the sway bar too since mine broke. I did exactly what ohlins recommended and cut down the stock endlinks 3 weeks later it snapped right off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by strat61caster View Post
That seems way fucking harder and more prone to unintended consequences then taking a set of OE endlinks to a welder and getting them shortened by an inch or whatever Ohlins recommends.
strat61caster (03-23-2021)
Old 03-23-2021, 01:09 PM   #53
RayRay88

Quote:
That may be but I have no choice in the matter I have nothing to connect the sway bar too since mine broke. I did exactly what ohlins recommended and cut down the stock endlinks 3 weeks later it snapped right off.
What anti roll bar are you running?
Old 03-23-2021, 01:13 PM   #54
Adamf220

They are the TRD sway bars but im sure they are made by eibach.

Quote:
What anti roll bar are you running?
Old 03-31-2021, 10:27 PM   #55
RayRay88

Quote:
Just following up on this to see if Ohlins got a new revised endlink mount?
Old 04-01-2021, 10:39 AM   #56
Adamf220

Yeah sorry I meant to post, but I talked to the service manager and he said there was no new sway bar mount but the customer service rep said they were working on one so who know. Basically they know this is a common issue and they aren't going to do anything about it.

Quote:
Just following up on this to see if Ohlins got a new revised endlink mount?