follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Forced Induction

Forced Induction Turbo, Supercharger, Methanol, Nitrous

User Tag List
go_a_way1

Old 12-18-2020, 05:34 PM   #11061
BlOody_BoOger

Drives: Hot lava FRS Monogram Charizard
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
[QUOTE=Legend1515;3393932]I will probably be selling my car soon. Trying to get a 2011-2014 wrx. So my ESC kit and procede controller might be for sale soon if i ended up selling it stock.[/QUOTE @geraldjust need just the snail and @zc06_kisstherain only needs the controller maybe you can make a deal with them.

Sent from my IN2017 using Tapatalk
BlOody_BoOger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2020, 02:59 PM   #11062
BlOody_BoOger

Check out this run guys went up against a mustang GT

The Following User Says Thank You to BlOody_BoOger For This Useful Post:
CY86 (04-14-2021)
Old 12-26-2020, 09:59 AM   #11063
WNDSRFR

Drives: FR-S,GTI
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
I can't believe how great this thing works in the cold weather. Every time the temperature drops below 50 degrees you can really feel the difference. It's 45 degrees this morning and I'll bet the ESC has at least 25 percent more torque than at 90 degrees. I know the air is more dense when it's cold, but I'm thinking maybe the batteries are more efficient when they're cold?
Anybody else notice this?
WNDSRFR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2020, 10:07 AM   #11064
WNDSRFR

Drives: FR-S,GTI
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
I just noticed that this topic has more views than any other. 2,688,406. For a product that HAD very limited availability. That is no longer available.
Wow
Now I feel really special.
WNDSRFR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2020, 10:17 AM   #11065
BlOody_BoOger

Quote:
Originally Posted by WNDSRFR View Post
I can't believe how great this thing works in the cold weather. Every time the temperature drops below 50 degrees you can really feel the difference. It's 45 degrees this morning and I'll bet the ESC has at least 25 percent more torque than at 90 degrees. I know the air is more dense when it's cold, but I'm thinking maybe the batteries are more efficient when they're cold?

Yea wel the batteries do get warm when u start using them. But yea I notice the difference when it's cold it just pulls harder. And there's no worry of producing knock when its cold.

Old 12-26-2020, 10:17 AM   #11066
zc06_kisstherain

Drives: SWP BRZ
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by WNDSRFR View Post

Thats normal and i know that feeling. Give me your kit now so i can enjoy again lol

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk
zc06_kisstherain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2020, 11:03 AM   #11067
jflogerzi

Drives: 2013 Series 10 6MT FR-S
Thanked 2,013 Times in 1,457 Posts
Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Garage
Any boost will always be stronger in cold weather due to the denser air and more importantly will stay consistent due to charge temps staying at ambient or close to it

Sent from my GM1915 using Tapatalk
2013 Series 10 FRS #553
RCE T2's, SPC LCAs -4/2.6 camber
JDL 4-2-1 EL, FP and OP, Tuned by Zach@CSG on e85
RR Wilwood Front/Rear Sport BBK, Motul 600 Fluid
ARC-8 17x9 SX2 GTs 245s/Koing 17x8 v730's 225's
jflogerzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2021, 03:21 AM   #11068
rhythmM

Drives: 2014 Subaru BRZ Limited MT - White
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Hi everyone. I just listed my rev3 kit for sale. Everything still works. Here's a link to the for sale page if anyone is interested.

https://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=143755

Phantom Super Charged - 2014 BRZ
rhythmM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2021, 04:31 AM   #11069
geraldjust

Drives: MR2, Sliver BRZ
Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
hey guys! hopefully you guys don't think i have forgotten about this. but ive made some progress in the electronics. As for improving the original electronics as it was mostly pieced together from some off the shell parts we could not get 100% specifications for. But for the most part it looked to be the following:

ESC capable of 120A but most likely a 200A esc would be better (depending on the current capability of the actual motor used)

A dump pack with a higher voltage would probably be better (higher voltage means less current needed for same amount energy imposed. But with higher voltage means higher RPM on the motor = possibly more PSI. Me thinking something like 3 nissan leaf batteries in series can give you a very nice amount of current and high capacity.

and a design to be able to step up the 12-14v car voltage to 24+ volts.

something like this for the DC-DC step converter. its rated at 1.8kw but in reality im sure its closer to 1.6~1.4kw

As for a display or a way to configure the device i was already working on a side project but it can be repurposed to use it here too. Since we are using can bus to communicate, there is no need for a foot pedal. We could even do fancy thing like set RPM to boots or how far % we should boost the turbo. Ramp up curves.. based on vehicle speed?.... ETC...

i already have a prototype board for the ESC controller. Doing some bench testing and sinal wize looks very good. Hopefully pared up with that 1.8k watt DC-DC charger should help. and some nissan leaf batteries as a test device.

But before i get any deeper you guys think something like this would be beneficial? or just too much work for just replacing the "electronic Box" on the phantom stuff?

Now i just need the Snail to do some real world testing lol.

Last edited by geraldjust; 02-11-2021 at 05:10 AM.
geraldjust is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to geraldjust For This Useful Post:
Target70 (02-14-2021)
Old 02-11-2021, 06:34 AM   #11070
churchx

Drives: 2014 GT86
Thanked 2,085 Times in 1,436 Posts
Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Phantom was wished product with higher demand then offer. While alternative controller development might be of little use to original phantom esc owners, except those, whose controller got fried for whatever reason, i guess there were many that skipped this product only because limited availability & long wait list. Though if you decide to develop alternative .. hmm .. maybe it might be worth to make separate/own thread dedicated to it, as i'm guessing that it may have it's own specifics/quirks/users and so on..
churchx is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to churchx For This Useful Post:
zc06_kisstherain (02-11-2021)
Old 02-11-2021, 07:53 AM   #11071
zc06_kisstherain

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by geraldjust View Post
hey guys! hopefully you guys don't think i have forgotten about this. but ive made some progress in the electronics. As for improving the original electronics as it was mostly pieced together from some off the shell parts we could not get 100% specifications for. But for the most part it looked to be the following:

ESC capable of 120A but most likely a 200A esc would be better (depending on the current capability of the actual motor used)

A dump pack with a higher voltage would probably be better (higher voltage means less current needed for same amount energy imposed. But with higher voltage means higher RPM on the motor = possibly more PSI. Me thinking something like 3 nissan leaf batteries in series can give you a very nice amount of current and high capacity.

and a design to be able to step up the 12-14v car voltage to 24+ volts.

something like this for the DC-DC step converter. its rated at 1.8kw but in reality im sure its closer to 1.6~1.4kw

As for a display or a way to configure the device i was already working on a side project but it can be repurposed to use it here too. Since we are using can bus to communicate, there is no need for a foot pedal. We could even do fancy thing like set RPM to boots or how far % we should boost the turbo. Ramp up curves.. based on vehicle speed?.... ETC...

i already have a prototype board for the ESC controller. Doing some bench testing and sinal wize looks very good. Hopefully pared up with that 1.8k watt DC-DC charger should help. and some nissan leaf batteries as a test device.

But before i get any deeper you guys think something like this would be beneficial? or just too much work for just replacing the "electronic Box" on the phantom stuff?

Now i just need the Snail to do some real world testing lol.

You can get my snail since i cannot use it. Let me know if you are interested

Old 02-21-2021, 11:30 AM   #11072
mrjj

Drives: GT86 2013
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Burnt cable

I removed my supercharger today and noticed burn-mark on the red bullet plug. The red heat-shrink tubing was partly melted as well.
Only the red connector was affected, the black and blue look fine.

Do you know what can cause this? The supercharger is working fine (I think).
Attached Images

mrjj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2021, 11:39 AM   #11073
zc06_kisstherain

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrjj View Post
I removed my supercharger today and noticed burn-mark on the red bullet plug. The red heat-shrink tubing was partly melted as well.
Only the red connector was affected, the black and blue look fine.

Do you know what can cause this? The supercharger is working fine (I think).
It doesnt look like melt to me. Looks like part of red shrink wrap broke and fell off

Old 02-21-2021, 12:03 PM   #11074
mrjj

Drives: GT86 2013
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by zc06_kisstherain View Post
It doesnt look like melt to me. Looks like part of red shrink wrap broke and fell off

Sorry, I didn't get the best picture.
It is however melted for sure. I can see the female connector is sooted on both the inside and outside. You should be able to see some of the black marks where the heat-shrink tubing melted. The connector is all black on the inside.
The two connectors (male/female) was very hard to separate. They were almost "welded" together because of the excessive heat.
I can't figure out why the red cable is worse than the other two.
What could cause extra high current on this cable? Or maybe the cable/connector has a bad weld causing high resistance?

EDIT:
Found this. It looks like the same problem!

https://www.ft86club.com/forums/show...83#post2937683

Last edited by mrjj; 02-21-2021 at 12:16 PM.
mrjj is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
26$ / wtq, affordable boost, better than turbo, brz electric supercharger, do want, dumbass freddy, electric shrimpage, electric supercharger, electronic supercharger, epic thread tag, fanboy circle jerk!, freddy keyboardwarrior, frs electric supercharger, get a real blower, haters gonna hate, hows the battery life?, lol, moar powa, nos with battery, one gear race champion, only pulls hard once, phantom charge, pm-robftss to order!, release date=not yet, release it already!, released!, rice, shut up and take our $$$, snake oil claims, street only, super pursuit mode, the price isn't known yet, tq300 plzkkthxbai, wooshy noise, yes turbo is better, yes turbo is expensive