follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Wheels | Tires | Spacers | Hub -- Sponsored by The Tire Rack

Wheels | Tires | Spacers | Hub -- Sponsored by The Tire Rack Specific topics relating to wheels and tires.

User Tag List

Old 03-13-2013, 06:35 PM   #15
lsr78

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S MT Ultramarine
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire View Post
Anyone drove both DW & DWS? Feeling any big difference? DW as summer tire suppose to get more grip in the warm weather, but wonder if the extra grip is worth the sacrifice of durability.
Not on the same car, but I have owned both (DWS on an A3, DW on FR-S, driven DW on an RS4) and there is a pretty big difference. The DWS is a lot softer. Unless you live where it snows and aren't going to put on dedicated snow tires, get the DW. The DW still has good tread life.
H&R spacers 15mm rear/5mm front/Whiteline PSK/ECUTek Tune
Alpine IND-S920HD/MRX-V70/CDT HD-62/JL StealthBox/Bel RX65/JPM Coachworks interior bits
lsr78 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to lsr78 For This Useful Post:
Fire (03-13-2013)
Old 03-13-2013, 06:40 PM   #16
Miniata

Drives: 13 BRZ - 90 Miata - 07 FXT -05 Mini
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Anyone drove both DW & DWS? Feeling any big difference? DW as summer tire suppose to get more grip in the warm weather, but wonder if the extra grip is worth the sacrifice of durability.

Just noticed your location. Get the DW. I wouldn't even consider the DWS where you're at.
Old 03-13-2013, 09:01 PM   #17
Fire

Drives: Scion FR-S Firestorm
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miniata View Post
Just noticed your location. Get the DW. I wouldn't even consider the DWS where you're at.
Thanks Miniata. Just notice your got a 05 Mini as well. So am I. I used to live in MN and my Mini still has the DWS on. Now, I am at CA so thinking about getting DW for the FRS.

Again, thanks buddy, really apprecaite.
Fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 09:58 PM   #18
shu5892001
Ontario's FT86

Drives: 2016 Lexus GS-F
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:

My gf's matrix xr has the DWS, it's pretty good as well. Grips better than a lot of the dedicated "summer tires".
shu5892001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 10:08 PM   #19
JoeBoxer

Drives: Whiteout FR-S
Thanked 1,627 Times in 997 Posts
Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
The DW is amazing in the rain, some autocross guys use them as deidicated rain tires.

I have the DW's and mine are making some noise already but my alignment was a little out at first, it has been fixed but i'm going to go ahead and rotate them to fix it.

Another option to the DWS is the Nitto Motivo, its a very nice high performance all season.
JoeBoxer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 12:44 PM   #20
FR-S Matt
Banned

Drives: 2013 Ultramarine FR-S MT
Thanked 1,771 Times in 1,111 Posts
Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Garage
Old thread revive!

What tire pressures are you guys finding optimal (cold) for DD? I've done 35 and 37 psi. Seems they feel great right around 37 while cold.
FR-S Matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 11:35 AM   #21
djdnz

Drives: 2013 BRZ WRB S/C
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
I also have these tires, figure I will chime in as well.

245/35/18 Conti DW ExtremeContact

Performance and fun rating is great! I love the balance between grip and the ability to still rotate the car. They are amazing in the wet, and I am still able to play with the balance of the car fairly easily even with the much wider and grippier tire. Dry performance is very good, but doesn't quite hang with the better lower treadwear tires. Works for me though.

Noise is average, again the width plays into it.

Looks - I hate the look of these tires, they are very round and don't give that stout look I was after.

Steering response - this is my LEAST favourite aspect of these tires. Compared to the stock tires these are very vague on turn in. Once you are in a turn they are fine; responsive and communicative. But that initial turn in is mushy feeling and it's a real downer when this car is supposed to feel agile and responsive.

I am sad to say because otherwise I would wholeheartedly recommend them, but I wouldn't buy again, at least for my car just because of the turn in feel.
djdnz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 10:56 PM   #22
Suberman
Banned

Drives: Subaru BRZ Sport Tech Satin White
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by djdnz View Post
I also have these tires, figure I will chime in as well.

245/35/18 Conti DW ExtremeContact

Performance and fun rating is great! I love the balance between grip and the ability to still rotate the car. They are amazing in the wet, and I am still able to play with the balance of the car fairly easily even with the much wider and grippier tire. Dry performance is very good, but doesn't quite hang with the better lower treadwear tires. Works for me though.

Noise is average, again the width plays into it.

Looks - I hate the look of these tires, they are very round and don't give that stout look I was after.

Steering response - this is my LEAST favourite aspect of these tires. Compared to the stock tires these are very vague on turn in. Once you are in a turn they are fine; responsive and communicative. But that initial turn in is mushy feeling and it's a real downer when this car is supposed to feel agile and responsive.

I am sad to say because otherwise I would wholeheartedly recommend them, but I wouldn't buy again, at least for my car just because of the turn in feel.
Wet weather tires seem to suffer from vague turn in. Goodyear F1 were excellent in the wet but felt a bit weird in the dry.

Michelin tends to favour dry handling over wet perhaps for this reason.
Suberman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 01:16 AM   #23
SoCal909

Drives: 2014 WRB BRZ 6MT
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
hm i'm a bit torn myself, i was looking at these or hankook v12s, how would the road noise be comparing these 2? right now i am on shitty tires and i have a shitton of road noise...

For the record it's just for DD but I want to start tracking it a little bit but just kinda nervous about it

Last edited by SoCal909; 01-08-2014 at 03:03 AM.
SoCal909 is offline   Reply With Quote