follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum

Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum The place to start for the Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 | GT86

User Tag List

Old 09-12-2013, 03:49 PM   #15
DarkSunrise

Drives: 22 BRZ (Previously 13 FR-S)
Thanked 4,242 Times in 2,220 Posts
Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Haha I've owned half the cars on this list. This is how I'd rank them personally:

1) FR-S/BRZ - incredible chassis, true driver's car, torqueless engine, but most fun
2) Evo X - AWD turbo super-sedan, good feedback, bit of a pig
3) Mustang GT 5.0 - engine worth $30k alone, will dominate laptimes, but bulky/numb
4) GTI - best interior, very practical, decent performance; like a FWD econohatch M3
5) STI - like the Evo X, but not nearly as sharp
6) Abarth - never driven one, don't think it belongs though

I think the Fiesta ST and Focus ST should replace the Abarth. Might add a spot for the 370z as well.

*Bold = ones I've owned

2022 BRZ Build
2013 FR-S Build
DarkSunrise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 04:05 PM   #16
strat61caster
-

Drives: '13 FRS - STX
Thanked 9,481 Times in 4,999 Posts
Mentioned: 94 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkSunrise View Post
6) Abarth - never driven one, don't think it belongs though

I think the Fiesta ST and Focus ST should replace the Abarth. Might add a spot for the 370z as well.

*Bold = ones I've owned
Drive an Abarth, way more fun than an FRS on the street/test drive unless you like having the salesman soil his pants. Can't speak for the Focus/Fiesta ST but I'm surprised they didn't beat out the GTI since the list is about FUN.
strat61caster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 04:06 PM   #17
thill

Drives: 2020 SS1LE (previous 13 BRZ owner)
Thanked 1,463 Times in 802 Posts
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by WolfpackS2k View Post
^agreed
Do you see anyone out there complaining that the new Corvette "only" has 460 hp, and not more? Or that the Mustang 5.0 needs more than 412 hp? I haven't.
Yes, there are Muistang GT owners who want more. That is why Ford offers a Shelby GT500 and a Boss 302.

Corvette has typically offered a ZR1 type car that gives a huge bump in output. I am sure the C7 Vette will have a ZR1 type bump as well. I am sure some enthusiasts will hold off buying a C7 until the ZR1 equivalent is offered.

Which is why we will eventually see a TRD/STi equivalent for the BR-S. For people who don't want to go FI but want more.
thill is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to thill For This Useful Post:
strat61caster (09-12-2013)
Old 09-12-2013, 04:09 PM   #18
thill

Drives: 2020 SS1LE (previous 13 BRZ owner)
Thanked 1,463 Times in 802 Posts
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by strat61caster View Post
Drive an Abarth, way more fun than an FRS on the street/test drive unless you like having the salesman soil his pants. Can't speak for the Focus/Fiesta ST but I'm surprised they didn't beat out the GTI since the list is about FUN.
If the list was about practical fun daily driver the GTI would be on the list for sure. But I would take an MX-5 anyday for fun over a GTI (and I owned a GTI and parents owned an MX-5). I would also take the Focus ST over the GTI for fun. The GTI is better than both of those cars though as a daily driver if the fun aspect is further down the list and you are looking for practicality and comfort.
thill is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to thill For This Useful Post:
Old 09-12-2013, 04:12 PM   #19
DarkSunrise

Quote:
Yeah my list was about ranking the top 5 fun cars under $35k (but not necessarily ranking them by fun).

Interesting to hear you liked the Abarth that much though. What makes it so fun, other than the exhaust?

BTW agree with the comments on the Miata belonging on this list. I'd say the Mini Cooper S as well.

2022 BRZ Build
2013 FR-S Build
Old 09-12-2013, 04:13 PM   #20
OrangeJuleas

Drives: 2013 Whiteout FR-S 6MT
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by mav1178 View Post
Some cars are not fun to drive, but incredibly practical. Others are simply a reliable form of transportation that won't give you problems.

Everyone has different needs, that's why we have so many choices on the market.

-alex

Edit: Sorry I just realized the author of the piece wrote that, not you.

LOL, dating people that you aren't wildly passionate about, but are good with money, don't have terrible in-laws, and still find time for relations even if it has to be scheduled. Sometimes practicality can be a good thing. We don't need excitement in all aspects of our lives .

Also, nobody, I mean nobody likes the taste of cottage cheese, but they still eat it anyway because its healthier than the varities that have flavor.

I'm not insane, in fact I'm kinda rational, when I be asking y'all, "Where did all the passion go?"
OrangeJuleas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 04:25 PM   #21
strat61caster
-

Drives: '13 FRS - STX
Thanked 9,481 Times in 4,999 Posts
Mentioned: 94 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quote:
Yeah my list was about ranking the top 5 fun cars under $35k (but not necessarily ranking them by fun).

Interesting to hear you liked the Abarth that much though. What makes it so fun, other than the exhaust?
Just be sure you don't forget the exhaust ok?

The thing is 2,500 lbs (similar to the Fiesta ST) and you FEEL it, a full 300 lbs lighter than an FRS with the foot down you can feel it dancing, it just brings a smile to your face that you can just toss it into any corner and it playfully responds. Correspondingly, the steering feel is good, the suspension communicative without being harsh (less harsh than an 86) and you know it's top heavy (relatively speaking) so you get that good sensation of body roll, not like the mustang, more like a car that 'sets' through a corner. The engine responds well with turbo lag that is probably on par with either of the ST's, enough that it's noticeable, not enough to be annoying and all the other charms you get as the boost builds and blows off. Gearbox is short so you get to run through them just like we do with ours except the Fiat's is much smoother and more willing (consequently less precise feeling but it's a tradeoff). I think it's less useful than the 86 in terms of cargo space but that was not a priority. I wrote way too much after such a short test drive so long ago but don't take my word for it:

http://www.topgear.com/uk/videos/take-abarth

Ultimately I have illusions about going to the track and thrashing around with other sports cars, the Abarth would have felt like it was holding me back in a couple years while I think I'll be happy playing with the 86 for a very long time. If I was solely DD'ing, I would have picked the Abarth over an 86 nothing else brought a smile to my face like the Fiat did powering through an on-ramp and feeling the nose start to get light as the Pirelli's clung on for dear life.
strat61caster is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to strat61caster For This Useful Post:
DAEMANO (09-12-2013), DarkSunrise (09-12-2013)
Old 09-12-2013, 04:35 PM   #22
DarkSunrise

Quote:
Just be sure you don't forget the exhaust ok?

The thing is 2,500 lbs (similar to the Fiesta ST) and you FEEL it, a full 300 lbs lighter than an FRS with the foot down you can feel it dancing, it just brings a smile to your face that you can just toss it into any corner and it playfully responds. Correspondingly, the steering feel is good, the suspension communicative without being harsh (less harsh than an 86) and you know it's top heavy (relatively speaking) so you get that good sensation of body roll, not like the mustang, more like a car that 'sets' through a corner. The engine responds well with turbo lag that is probably on par with either of the ST's, enough that it's noticeable, not enough to be annoying and all the other charms you get as the boost builds and blows off. Gearbox is short so you get to run through them just like we do with ours except the Fiat's is much smoother and more willing (consequently less precise feeling but it's a tradeoff). I think it's less useful than the 86 in terms of cargo space but that was not a priority. I wrote way too much after such a short test drive so long ago but don't take my word for it:

http://www.topgear.com/uk/videos/take-abarth

Ultimately I have illusions about going to the track and thrashing around with other sports cars, the Abarth would have felt like it was holding me back in a couple years while I think I'll be happy playing with the 86 for a very long time. If I was solely DD'ing, I would have picked the Abarth over an 86 nothing else brought a smile to my face like the Fiat did powering through an on-ramp and feeling the nose start to get light as the Pirelli's clung on for dear life.
Nice write-up. You've convinced me to add it to my list of cars to test-drive eventually. There are a ton of good FWD hot hatches out in the market now -- GTI, MS3, Focus ST, Fiesta ST, Abarth, Mini Cooper S, etc.

2022 BRZ Build
2013 FR-S Build
The Following User Says Thank You to DarkSunrise For This Useful Post:
Old 09-12-2013, 04:36 PM   #23
tacoss23

Drives: '08 328i, '13 Accord Sport, '13 BRZ
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Had to be Yahoo autos to pull up shit like this one.....

The Fiat has not place in that list, in fact, it has no place in any list other than "cars NOT to buy without factory warranty".

That being said, Ford Focus ST not in the list??? Pretty much every reviewer has agreed that the Ford Focus is the second coming when it comes down to Hot-hatches, and certainly more "fun" than the original hot-hatch (GTI).

My list would be:

5: 128i
4: Miata
3: Focus ST
2: Evo / WRX STI
1: BRZ/FR-S

^^^^ remember this is a list of "fun" cars to drive, not necessarily "best" cars.
tacoss23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 04:37 PM   #24
DAEMANO
Time Traveller

Drives: 2013 Scion FRS - Raven
Thanked 3,416 Times in 1,677 Posts
Mentioned: 87 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:

BTW agree with the comments on the Miata belonging on this list. I'd say the Mini Cooper S as well.
I own both an Fiat Abarth Convertable and an 2013 FRS. My thoughts are VERY close to @strat61caster. I wrote up a bit about it in the FRS vs Abarth thread here:
http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showp...4&postcount=51
DAEMANO is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DAEMANO For This Useful Post:
DarkSunrise (09-12-2013)
Old 09-12-2013, 04:49 PM   #25
userjack6880

Drives: Raven FR-S MT
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Garage
You'd think the honeymoon period would end, nope. Every other car, I got over it and it was just another car by now. But I've been grinning every time I step outside and look at my car. Dollar for dollar, pound for pound, this car has been the best thing I've driven in a long time.

Sure, power would be nice. Sure, luxury would be nice. But this car is just plain fun, and at the end of the day, I don't car about everything else.
----------------------------------------------
userjack6880 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 02:58 AM   #26
Lasse

Drives: Avensis 2.2 diesel
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by userjack6880 View Post
You'd think the honeymoon period would end, nope. Every other car, I got over it and it was just another car by now. But I've been grinning every time I step outside and look at my car. Dollar for dollar, pound for pound, this car has been the best thing I've driven in a long time.

Sure, power would be nice. Sure, luxury would be nice. But this car is just plain fun, and at the end of the day, I don't car about everything else.
You are right, my friend. Point of owning a fun/sports car is never only a power thing. Because it will get old very fast and you get used to that power. And then you need more.

True fun/sports car relies on good power/weight, great chassis, absolutely cracking steering feel and great feel overall. You just don't get bored with it.

Power... Well there is a reason why modern hot hatches are so powerful. They really doesn't have any other good traits which keeps entertaining you years after year(Megane rs is another story)
Lasse is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Lasse For This Useful Post:
userjack6880 (09-14-2013)
Old 09-14-2013, 07:13 AM   #27
Dazza

Drives: Tornado Grey Toyota 86 GT
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by thill View Post
That said, would I like another 20-30hp and another 20-30 ft lbs of tq? Hell yeah. But I don't think things are THAT bad either. I mean you can really wring the car out without getting in too much trouble as opposed to a hp/tq muscle car that would be in an instant ticket....
This

Unless you are after a duel duty DD and track car, the frs/brz/86 is perfect, yeah more power would be nice, but quite frankly very hard to use for the driving I do in it from home to work and back again.
Dazza is offline   Reply With Quote