follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Marketplace > User/Vendor/Sponsor Reviews, Feedback, Comments

User Tag List

Old 08-16-2013, 01:52 AM   #29
chilltpr
HPDE Instructor

Drives: FR-S
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by enouf View Post
I'm having ridiculous fuel consumption (19mpg, massive drop from stock 27mpg) and the whole engine rattles (the new "cam noise" maybe?) when I go past 3k rpm. Going to open ticket and ask for a proper tune.
From what Ive seen with E85, 30% drop in fuel economy is to be expected. Can you let us know if you do get an updated tune? I am hoping I get something as well when I send my logs in.
chilltpr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 02:09 AM   #30
enouf
Mr. Grumpy

Drives: 86 GT, Fuji Red, MT
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
It's more like 40% if I'm driving like a granny, 50% if I drive it like I stole it. Apparently the other aussie guys are getting even worse so mebbe it's normal to have this humungous increase in consumption.
@chilltpr, don't expect anything from sending the logs in unless "your turbo and on top of a mountain or have crappy gas" (direct quote from BRZ tuning thread). The rest of his post is just as disappointing if you're looking for a proper "tune":

"As of right now I'm the only person that can send tune updates out and we are working with EcuTek to make that a problem of the past very soon. 90% of the support console tickets are people that have cars that are running perfectly well and would like the lastest FREE update, I don't shed any tears for those people. OF COURSE I wish I could respond to every ticket the moment it comes in, but I can't always do that.

I spend countless hours on my tunes.. so if you've purchased my STG1, STG2, Vortech, Innovate, HKS, Greddy tune don't be surprised if the log 'looks great'. Most of the time is does.. and when it doesnt, it's because there's a mechanical problem with the car.. like pump install problem or intercooler pipe coming off. I would never offer a tune package that I don't have a proven calibration for.. and that calibration doesn't differ too much from car to car.. unless your turbo and on top of a mountain or have crappy gas

John"

So TL;DR - his tunes are straight up fantastic, runs the same on cars all around the world, so please don't bother him with your petty tickets.
enouf is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to enouf For This Useful Post:
chilltpr (08-16-2013)
Old 08-16-2013, 12:19 PM   #31
Nightbringer

Drives: Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by chilltpr View Post
From what Ive seen with E85, 30% drop in fuel economy is to be expected. Can you let us know if you do get an updated tune? I am hoping I get something as well when I send my logs in.
Going by what I see listed on stoichiometric ratios, most that I've seen are 20% drop during light load driving. At WOT it requires far more enrichment, and 40-50% is to be expected. My V-Tune also runs quite rich on top of that, so I'm seeing a much bigger impact on my MPG as Enouf stated. However the fact that E85 is $1-1.50 cheaper than 93 in most areas somewhat offsets this. Just have to decide what it's worth to you. I love the smoothness across the band that the added timing advance provides on the corn juice even more than I do any gains in peak horsepower output.

Quote:
So TL;DR - his tunes are straight up fantastic, runs the same on cars all around the world, so please don't bother him with your petty tickets.
Unlike other vendors offering updates, John feels he has spent sufficient time on the basemap to make it "look good" for most standard modifications. I didn't feel as though I spent twice what other vendors charge for "good enough", but this is the way it is. You are more or less buying an off-the-shelf map that will receive major overarching updates when they become available, but don't expect multiple tweaks/individual attention. You will most likely only get the following as a response:

Nightbringer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 12:29 PM   #32
enouf
Mr. Grumpy

Yep looks that way and I've already accepted that.

Sent from my electric hamster
Old 08-16-2013, 12:32 PM   #33
Nightbringer

Drives: Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Yep looks that way and I've already accepted that.
Quote:
Originally Posted by chadstyle View Post
Honestly, dispute the charges and send it back. I know it's a hassle but you're never going to be satisfied at this point.
This also doesn't work, as from a tangible standpoint "We got what we paid for." I attempted to request a refund on ONLY the tune portion of the $1325 spent due to no support and no updates, and was denied. You received the physical product you paid for, the fact that you had good faith support expectations from Visconti means very little once you've paid.
Nightbringer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 10:36 AM   #34
chadstyle

Drives: 2013 Subaru BR-Z Limited
Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightbringer View Post
This also doesn't work, as from a tangible standpoint "We got what we paid for." I attempted to request a refund on ONLY the tune portion of the $1325 spent due to no support and no updates, and was denied. You received the physical product you paid for, the fact that you had good faith support expectations from Visconti means very little once you've paid.
Depends on what you're returning and disputing.. The tunes are hard as they are software only and John can argue that you got what you paid for. Tangible items like faulty fuel lines and accompanying parts can be returned and disputed much more successfully especially when there are legitimate fears of vehicle fires caused by said parts. Lastly, it's all in your argument to the credit card company or Paypal and much of it depends on how valuable a customer you are to the company in charge of ruling on your dispute. I transfer between 180k-215k per month via Paypal and I have NEVER lost a dispute. Coincidence? I don't think so.
Old 10-29-2013, 03:24 PM   #35
mjh712
BRZilla

Drives: '13 WRB BRZ Limited MT
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by chadstyle View Post
Wow, & he responded with this

Quote:
Originally Posted by Visconti View Post
Yup, and I know several people that got refunded because he didnt provide them with a kit.

Should have some stuff up tonight
What a tool. Saying a company refunded them for making a mistake while he scams more people with his dangerous kit
mjh712 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 05:53 PM   #36
enouf
Mr. Grumpy

Looks like they've gone to ground, last post they made was nearly two months ago. Good riddance.

Thankfully my FF kit has been running smoothly without a hitch - no thanks to JV since I've changed out all the fuel line hardware that came with the kit.
Old 10-30-2013, 03:27 PM   #37
s2d4

Drives: R32 GTR, AW11 MR2 SC, GTS86 R
Thanked 1,223 Times in 708 Posts
Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Well, watch the video in this page
http://www.thatvideomagazine.com/new...nny-ten-racing

This now extends to people's endorsements/opinions on the forum.
s2d4 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to s2d4 For This Useful Post:
Sportsguy83 (10-31-2013)
Old 10-31-2013, 02:20 AM   #38
ft_sjo
Banned

Drives: GT86
Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by s2d4 View Post
Well, watch the video in this page
http://www.thatvideomagazine.com/new...nny-ten-racing

This now extends to people's endorsements/opinions on the forum.
That Vinny guy talks a lot of sense. Exactly the same experience my friend had at his shop. Too many unqualified 'tuners' out there. Most are just ex-IT nerds, mechanics or criminals.
ft_sjo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ft_sjo For This Useful Post:
Sportsguy83 (10-31-2013)
Old 10-31-2013, 11:39 AM   #39
OrbitalEllipses
Banned

Drives: Attitude
Thanked 4,889 Times in 2,902 Posts
Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ft_sjo View Post
That Vinny guy talks a lot of sense. Exactly the same experience my friend had at his shop. Too many unqualified 'tuners' out there. Most are just ex-IT nerds, mechanics or criminals.
For best results combine ingredients and thoroughly mix.
OrbitalEllipses is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to OrbitalEllipses For This Useful Post:
kanundrum (10-31-2013)
Old 10-31-2013, 01:08 PM   #40
mikalem

Drives: 2013 WRB BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ft_sjo View Post
As a current IT nerd, and hobby mechanic, I approve this message
mikalem is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to mikalem For This Useful Post:
kanundrum (10-31-2013)
Old 11-02-2013, 11:48 AM   #41
utekineir
blowhard

Drives: frs, project forester
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
utekineir is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
campaign: ban jv, canned tunes, e85, flex fuel kit, leak, visconti tuning, viscontifried