follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > FT86CLUB Shared Forum > Regional Forums > Southern California

Southern California SoCal


User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 06-17-2021, 05:05 PM   #1
kyle116
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2019
Drives: 2015 Scion FR-S
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 15
Thanks: 3
Thanked 28 Times in 6 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Any 3 piece wheel shop repair suggestions or wheel repair shops?

Got some curbed outer lip SSR SP1s. Any suggestions on shops or how to fix? So far I've been told that I would have to get them weld filled and slightly reshaped. Its really only the outer lip thats been curbed

I also been quoted all over the place for fixing 2 wheels from:
3piece.us - $1200
Southern California Wheel Repair - $180
Attached Images
 
kyle116 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2021, 05:10 PM   #2
EndlessAzure
Senior Member
 
EndlessAzure's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2017
Drives: '14 FR-S [37J] | Daily/Track
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 709
Thanks: 82
Thanked 388 Times in 263 Posts
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle116 View Post
Got some curbed outer lip SSR SP1s. Any suggestions on shops or how to fix? So far I've been told that I would have to get them weld filled and slightly reshaped. Its really only the outer lip thats been curbed



I also been quoted all over the place for fixing 2 wheels from:

3piece.us - $1200

Southern California Wheel Repair - $180
3pc.us is quoting for complete replacement barrels.

A wheel shop will repair the existing barrels by sanding/smoothing/welding new material
EndlessAzure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2021, 05:16 PM   #3
kyle116
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2019
Drives: 2015 Scion FR-S
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 15
Thanks: 3
Thanked 28 Times in 6 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by EndlessAzure View Post
3pc.us is quoting for complete replacement barrels.

A wheel shop will repair the existing barrels by sanding/smoothing/welding new material
Ah ok I see, this would fall in line more with just repair right? or do you have a suggestion to do one or the other?
kyle116 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2021, 05:51 PM   #4
EndlessAzure
Senior Member
 
EndlessAzure's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2017
Drives: '14 FR-S [37J] | Daily/Track
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 709
Thanks: 82
Thanked 388 Times in 263 Posts
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle116 View Post
Ah ok I see, this would fall in line more with just repair right? or do you have a suggestion to do one or the other?
Depends on your budget and the level of damage to the wheels.

If the damage is cosmetic only, a good wheel shop can fix it up without needing to worry about impact to wheel strength

If the wheels are damaged badly (bent or cracked) or needs welding, it depends on your risk tolerance and trust of wheel shop to make the repair. Even after repair, you should always regularly check the wheel to see if cracks form. If you don't trust the repair, replace the barrel

For the damage on the wheel you showed, it seems cosmetic only
EndlessAzure is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to EndlessAzure For This Useful Post:
bcj (06-18-2021)
Old 06-17-2021, 06:23 PM   #5
kyle116
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2019
Drives: 2015 Scion FR-S
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 15
Thanks: 3
Thanked 28 Times in 6 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by EndlessAzure View Post
Depends on your budget and the level of damage to the wheels.

If the damage is cosmetic only, a good wheel shop can fix it up without needing to worry about impact to wheel strength

If the wheels are damaged badly (bent or cracked) or needs welding, it depends on your risk tolerance and trust of wheel shop to make the repair. Even after repair, you should always regularly check the wheel to see if cracks form. If you don't trust the repair, replace the barrel

For the damage on the wheel you showed, it seems cosmetic only

Ah thanks ok that makes sense and what I was thinking too. That was really helpful, thank you for providing clarity and info on all this
kyle116 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to kyle116 For This Useful Post:
bcj (06-18-2021)
Old 06-18-2021, 04:09 AM   #6
Decimus
BAE
 
Decimus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Drives: Asphalt FRS
Location: SGV
Posts: 587
Thanks: 150
Thanked 96 Times in 76 Posts
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Go to vrwheels
Decimus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2021, 12:13 PM   #7
Thaeyo
Senior Member
 
Thaeyo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S
Location: Orange County
Posts: 225
Thanks: 75
Thanked 50 Times in 36 Posts
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
+1 for VRWheels as well in City of Industry
Thaeyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2021, 12:55 AM   #8
Wraith
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Drives: 2013
Location: Cerritos
Posts: 53
Thanks: 1
Thanked 27 Times in 13 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Rays Custom out here in Riverside does amazing jobs !!!
Wraith is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply

Tags
3 piece repair, ssr, three piece wheel repair, wheel repair

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
wheel repair shop in phx ? RNDerpy Arizona 1 01-21-2022 06:20 PM
Wheel Repair FTKID Southern California 2 05-12-2016 11:46 AM
wheel repair/powder coat shop in Portland? BRZPDX Northwest 10 08-20-2014 10:20 PM
Wheel Repair near SJ? brz408 Northern California 8 04-14-2014 09:33 PM
Wheel repair suggestions? mrha Southern California 10 07-16-2013 03:57 PM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:48 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging v3.3.0 (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2022 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

Garage vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.