follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Off-Topic Discussions > Other Vehicles & General Automotive Discussions

Other Vehicles & General Automotive Discussions Discuss all other cars and automotive news here.

User Tag List

Old 01-20-2022, 04:21 PM   #43
bcj
Geo Tyrebighter Esq

Drives: '13 scion fr-s
Thanked 4,976 Times in 2,195 Posts
Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
Other than being able to drive something like that on actual roads with speed bumps, potholes and driveway curb transitions.

It'll be yeet!
Old 01-22-2022, 01:07 AM   #44
Jeonsa
Humble Member

Drives: N/A
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sasquachulator View Post
IT used to be "Toyotas are boring"
Now its "Toyota doesnt make its own sports cars!"

I bet the next one is "Toyota is overcharging for its in house sports cars! and us mere mortals cannot afford it!!!"
or
"Toyota is doing <iconic Toyota car nameplate> all wrong!"

Theres also the favorite of EV snobs: "Toyota is well known to be anti-EV's! they're going to fall so far behind the times and I cant wait until their unethical oil sucking company goes bankrupt! when everyone has gone EV and Toyota has no one left to sell gasoline cars to!"
I mean, even during the Q/A he didn’t seem interested in the EV thing. Even answered some questions as “Morizo” and as the business man. I think he’s just tired of the politics honestly.
Jeonsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2022, 02:47 PM   #45
Sasquachulator
Pavement Grey

Drives: 2020 Toyota 86 GT, 2017 BMW X1
Thanked 2,222 Times in 1,204 Posts
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeonsa View Post
I mean, even during the Q/A he didn’t seem interested in the EV thing. Even answered some questions as “Morizo” and as the business man. I think he’s just tired of the politics honestly.
I think he just doesnt want to put all his eggs in one basket (in this case a whole lot of manufacturers are going all-in on EV's), and its probably not his most favorite method of propulsion. But his company had a carbon reduction strategy for awhile before the EV boom took off and people seem to ignore it because its not 100% EV all the time like other big manufacturers.
the guy's a big car guy (and race driver) so im sure hes very much in the camp that doesn't want to see cars all end up being soulless robots.

If the story about the Lexus RZ development is true (how the RZ had to provide a level of fun and excitement to get Toyoda onboard with EV's)

Then it probably means his impressions of EV's before hand were kind of bleh.

That and probably because of how long its taking solid state batteries to develop into a usable product for EV use.
Sasquachulator is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sasquachulator For This Useful Post:
daiheadjai (01-24-2022), Jeonsa (01-22-2022)
Old 01-22-2022, 06:09 PM   #46
Jeonsa
Humble Member

Drives: N/A
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
I think he just doesnt want to put all his eggs in one basket (in this case a whole lot of manufacturers are going all-in on EV's), and its probably not his most favorite method of propulsion. But his company had a carbon reduction strategy for awhile before the EV boom took off and people seem to ignore it because its not 100% EV all the time like other big manufacturers.
the guy's a big car guy (and race driver) so im sure hes very much in the camp that doesn't want to see cars all end up being soulless robots.

If the story about the Lexus RZ development is true (how the RZ had to provide a level of fun and excitement to get Toyoda onboard with EV's)

Then it probably means his impressions of EV's before hand were kind of bleh.

That and probably because of how long its taking solid state batteries to develop into a usable product for EV use.
Yeah I agree. He also said he didn’t like EVs because they all feel kind of the same. But that’s what I was getting at originally. These days he seems more excited for the hydrogen racing, the GR/GRMNYaris, and this GT3.
Jeonsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2022, 02:54 PM   #47
daiheadjai

Drives: 2003 S2000, 2008 Fit
Thanked 1,154 Times in 688 Posts
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
I honestly don't envy him.... It must be soul-crushing to be passionate about cars and an enthusiast driver, only to find that most of the market seems to want appliances...
And having to square the business case with the passion projects is probably a tough (and usually thankless) ordeal...
daiheadjai is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to daiheadjai For This Useful Post:
Jeonsa (01-24-2022), Tcoat (01-25-2022)
Old 01-24-2022, 06:17 PM   #48
Irace86.2.0

Drives: Q5 + BRZ + M796
Thanked 5,804 Times in 3,299 Posts
Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
I like the proportions. It just needs to be smaller like the 86/RX7 sized and not like a C7.

Old 01-25-2022, 12:54 AM   #49
gymratter

Drives: BMW
Thanked 1,825 Times in 952 Posts
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
https://toyotagazooracing.com/jp/eve...lineup/car001/

full length 4,590mm or 180.7 inches. about 3 inches longer than the LFA.
gymratter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2022, 12:59 PM   #50
Sasquachulator
Pavement Grey

Quote:
Yeah I agree. He also said he didn’t like EVs because they all feel kind of the same. But that’s what I was getting at originally. These days he seems more excited for the hydrogen racing, the GR/GRMNYaris, and this GT3.
Ive been afraid that EV's all feel the same. I couldnt really find out if anyone mentions this....all they say is that the cars drive differently, but the same way as a Corolla drives different than a Mazda3 etc.

with an electric motor being somewhat all similar to each other, would different EV's kind of feel like a every car with the same motor?

something like:

Toyota Matrix XRS
Toyota Celica GTS
Toyota Corolla XRS
Lotus Exige
Toyota MR2 with 2ZZ swap

From what i can recall the top 3 cars feel similar to each other, mainly just as a wagon/hatch vs a sedan vs a coupe version of each, and the latter 2 kind of feels the same as each other (both being mid engined RWD cars)

Or something like a Lexus ES vs Camry vs Avalon...all feeling like different levels of the same car.

But once you take the drama/characteristic of a ICE engine away..... (which again also adds to the manufacturers identity....like a motor from toyota doesnt feel like a motor from Nissan) and replace it with a silent noise/vibration free whirrr.....

I guess it ends up being something like a computer graphics card. theres 2 manufacturers that make the actual chip (AMD and Nvidia), and dozens of manufacturers to create the cards at various price points. if your looking to get say a AMD Radeon 6600XT mid/high range graphics card, theres a ton of options out there but its all the same in the end. is there a huge benefit choosing the cheaper (say 500 dollars) option over the more expensive option (700 dollars)?
Old 01-25-2022, 07:54 PM   #51
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,283 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2495 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by daiheadjai View Post
I honestly don't envy him.... It must be soul-crushing to be passionate about cars and an enthusiast driver, only to find that most of the market seems to want appliances...
And having to square the business case with the passion projects is probably a tough (and usually thankless) ordeal...
And contrary to popular belief he can be fired in a heartbeat if the board of directors decide so.
daiheadjai (01-26-2022), Jeonsa (01-27-2022)
Old 01-27-2022, 02:21 AM   #52
Irace86.2.0

Quote:
Maybe they will design them to feel and sound like ICEs like how they made CVTs feel like they have gears, even if it hurts performance and efficiency, or how they pipe in fake noise into the speakers. They could do it. It isn’t too hard, but it wouldn’t be as good or realistic, of course. It just isn’t necessary.

They could take a motor that is capable of more area under the curve than an engine, but then just limit its power. Power could ramp up in a linear way, or it could simulate the late surge of a large turbo. They could do that with the addition of a second motor that comes on late. Maybe a CVT or something could be used to simulate a power curve or simulate gears. Hepatic motors on the chassis could simulate vibrations like they do in smart phones. Sounds can be piped into the cabin via speakers. Want to feel the torque and rumble of a V8 one day and a flat plane V12 the next or a 12k rpm K20 and then a single turbo 2JZ? It is all possible with a single powertrain.
Old 01-27-2022, 12:20 PM   #53
Sasquachulator
Pavement Grey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irace86.2.0 View Post
Maybe they will design them to feel and sound like ICEs like how they made CVTs feel like they have gears, even if it hurts performance and efficiency, or how they pipe in fake noise into the speakers. They could do it. It isn’t too hard, but it wouldn’t be as good or realistic, of course. It just isn’t necessary.

They could take a motor that is capable of more area under the curve than an engine, but then just limit its power. Power could ramp up in a linear way, or it could simulate the late surge of a large turbo. They could do that with the addition of a second motor that comes on late. Maybe a CVT or something could be used to simulate a power curve or simulate gears. Hepatic motors on the chassis could simulate vibrations like they do in smart phones. Sounds can be piped into the cabin via speakers. Want to feel the torque and rumble of a V8 one day and a flat plane V12 the next or a 12k rpm K20 and then a single turbo 2JZ? It is all possible with a single powertrain.
do all that crap to simulate the real thing....why not just....use the real thing instead?
The Following User Says Thank You to Sasquachulator For This Useful Post:
Arthur-A (01-28-2022)
Old 01-27-2022, 05:36 PM   #54
Irace86.2.0

Quote:
do all that crap to simulate the real thing....why not just....use the real thing instead?
Are you asking me why the world is transitioning to EVs???

All I am saying is that when that happens, there will be opportunities to create character with EVs. The vast majority of people don't care, but enthusiasts will care, so these types of EVs will be the exception to the norm.

We seemed to have reached the top when it comes to ICEs. More and more manufactures are pulling back from the horsepower wars and focusing on more than just raw performance; they are focusing on feeling, sound, etc. Koenigsegg says they are no longer working on top speed. Gordon Murray comes out with a lightweight, high-revving, NA car. Chevy makes a Z06 with a flat-plane, NA engine for character, sound and emotion. Porsche released the touring GT3. I could go on. Performance is there too, but that isn't what they are marketing. Why? Because a full-sized electric sedan is faster 0-60 and to the quarter mile. A gear-less, heavy EV will troll most sporty vehicles. The future of EVs will just see such performance be much more common place. There seems to be a small resurgence in manual transmissions, in NA powertrains, in high revving, etc, so I think the future will have the masses in EVs, and I think enthusiasts will accept a reduction in range and in performance in order to have an EV that is lighter and that imitates ICEs. Performance is relative throughout history; an economy car today will blow past many sporty cars of the past, but the constant is their character, so imitating that character will be the selling point.
Old 05-25-2022, 10:26 AM   #55
gymratter

Drives: BMW
Thanked 1,825 Times in 952 Posts
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
https://www.supramkv.com/threads/toy...-6#post-201254

Design patent submitted on 12/6/21 and registered on 5/6/22.

gymratter is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to gymratter For This Useful Post:
HKz (05-26-2022), mn_ca (05-25-2022)
Old 05-25-2022, 01:05 PM   #56
Sasquachulator
Pavement Grey

Quote:
Originally Posted by gymratter View Post
https://www.supramkv.com/threads/toy...-6#post-201254

Design patent submitted on 12/6/21 and registered on 5/6/22.

That's pretty slick.
Very Benz AMG GT like.
The Following User Says Thank You to Sasquachulator For This Useful Post:
gymratter (07-26-2022)