follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Forced Induction

Forced Induction Turbo, Supercharger, Methanol, Nitrous

View Poll Results: Have you had any problems with your Rotrex Unit on your Jackson Racing Supercharger?
No, and I have a C38-81 with 10,000 Miles or less 7 18.92%
No, and I have a C38-81 with 25,000 Miles or less 4 10.81%
No, and I have a C38-81 with 50,000 Miles or more 1 2.70%
No, and I have a C30-94 with 10,000 Miles or less 4 10.81%
No, and I have a C30-94 with 25,000 Miles or less 4 10.81%
No, and I have a C30-94 with 50,000 Miles or more 6 16.22%
Yes, and my C38-81 lasted 10,000 Miles or less 3 8.11%
Yes, and my C38-81 lasted 25,000 Miles or less 1 2.70%
Yes, and my C38-81 lasted 50,000 miles or more 0 0%
Yes, and my C30-94 lasted 10,000 Miles or less 4 10.81%
Yes, and my C30-94 lasted 25,000 Miles or less 2 5.41%
Yes, and my C30-94 lasted 50,000 Miles or more 1 2.70%
Voters: 37. You may not vote on this poll

User Tag List

Old 11-13-2018, 10:30 AM   #1
motomaster132003

Drives: Toyota 86
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Jackson Racing Super Charger Rotrex Reliability Poll

I am very interested in purchasing a Jackson Racing Supercharger for my 2018 BRZ, but the majority of the people that I have talked to that have the kit said that they have had a Rotrex unit fail. I want to create a poll to get an idea of what the failure percentages are really like.

Also, please comment below if you are running a High Boost Pulley, E85, etc. Since that could be a factor.
motomaster132003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2018, 11:00 AM   #2
drm

Drives: 2013 FR-S
Standard C30-94 kit running carb tune (on crappy CA/AZ 91 gas). Roughly 90/10 daily vs track.

Mods: oil cooler, oil catch can.

20K miles (over ~ 4 years) when it failed. It was hinted that it was potentially due to not changing SC fluid/filter at exactly 2 year mark. I was a bit skeptical that the fluid/filter was that time sensitive, but i am not an expert on that .

Since i had base kit already, i ended up buying a new C38 to replace (C30 was not available). It was much cheaper & easier than buying a whole new setup. Playing the odds that i wont have same issue twice.

I have mixed feelings as i love the setup, but having a sealed unit that cannot be rebuilt kinda sucks.
drm is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to drm For This Useful Post:
Teseo (11-27-2018)
Old 11-13-2018, 01:02 PM   #3
GrabTheWheel

Drives: 16' BRZ
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Why not just make this a Rotrex reliability poll? Lots of Kraftwerks owners out there who could contribute.
GrabTheWheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2018, 01:19 PM   #4
amcp1

Drives: frs
Because the Kraftwerks kit uses a toothed pulley to drive the blower. And from what I can recall Rotrex says thats not an approved method to run it.
amcp1 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to amcp1 For This Useful Post:
CSG Mike (11-13-2018)
Old 11-16-2018, 06:48 PM   #5
GrabTheWheel

50% failure rate. Not looking so good...
Old 11-19-2018, 03:16 PM   #6
mistople

Drives: 2017 BRZ (Sold), 2023 GR86
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrabTheWheel View Post
50% of 14 owners =/= an accurate report.

That said, after reading the various threads related to the JRSC, it does seem like owners have had quite a number Rotrex units failures. The number of videos out there showing a failed blower is definitely concerning.

It doesn't necessarily deter me from the kit, as I still think its the best option available (at least for my goals), but the Rotrex and BPV issues tend to linger in my mind.

JR has a great record of replacing any faulty BPV from what I've seen. Rotrex taking multiple months to replace a blower is simply bewildering.

Is there a root cause? Is Rotrex moving to address the issue(s) if so?
mistople is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2018, 05:26 PM   #7
pgranberg11
BoostedBRZ

Drives: Turbo BRZ
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
I'll comment since I've had a rotrex before and now have gone turbo. Why even go supercharger? Why not get a small, properly sized turbo? There are turbos that offer a better compressor efficiency. Rotrex just doesn't make sense on these cars.

If you want to talk about linearity sure, but even a GTX2860r will provide you a flat torque curve too.

I've gone down the supercharger route. Even though I never had a jackson, but a kraftwerks (for almost 3 years AND yes I tracked it), I will say supercharging is a waste of time. You can get more power out of less PSI on a turbo, and have a similar torque curve. You don't have to worry about belt slip, belt snap, supercharger unicorn oil, or any of these rotrex failures. With a turbo, all you need is proper coolant/oil routing and that's it. And you can even change boost with your cruise control stalk... no need to mess around with pullies... I'm not saying jackson is a bad kit. I'm just saying turbocharging just makes way more sense. Believe me, I've gone through the process already and I will never supercharge again.

The root cause for the reason why it takes so long is because Rotrex is based out of Denmark... all the time it has to ship and go through customs, etc and then the amount of time to diagnose and ship back.
pgranberg11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2018, 06:09 PM   #8
CSG Mike

Drives: S2000 CR
Thanked 14,175 Times in 6,834 Posts
Mentioned: 966 Post(s)
Tagged: 14 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by pgranberg11 View Post
I'll comment since I've had a rotrex before and now have gone turbo. Why even go supercharger? Why not get a small, properly sized turbo? There are turbos that offer a better compressor efficiency. Rotrex just doesn't make sense on these cars.

If you want to talk about linearity sure, but even a GTX2860r will provide you a flat torque curve too.

I've gone down the supercharger route. Even though I never had a jackson, but a kraftwerks (for almost 3 years AND yes I tracked it), I will say supercharging is a waste of time. You can get more power out of less PSI on a turbo, and have a similar torque curve. You don't have to worry about belt slip, belt snap, supercharger unicorn oil, or any of these rotrex failures. With a turbo, all you need is proper coolant/oil routing and that's it. And you can even change boost with your cruise control stalk... no need to mess around with pullies... I'm not saying jackson is a bad kit. I'm just saying turbocharging just makes way more sense. Believe me, I've gone through the process already and I will never supercharge again.

The root cause for the reason why it takes so long is because Rotrex is based out of Denmark... all the time it has to ship and go through customs, etc and then the amount of time to diagnose and ship back.
Because cost of entry of a trackable turbo setup is double that of a trackable supercharger setup.
CSG Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CSG Mike For This Useful Post:
mistople (11-19-2018), weederr33 (11-19-2018)
Old 11-20-2018, 12:01 AM   #9
mistople

Drives: 2017 BRZ (Sold), 2023 GR86
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quote:

I don't hear about any of those issues besides the Rotrex unit with the JRSC. The Kraftwerks kit is another story entirely. I was more curious as to the root cause of the Rotrex unit failures. I know they are in Denmark, but even so it shouldn't take that long.

I would love a turbo, but as Mike said, it's a huge investment to get a reliable setup with real heat management.
mistople is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2018, 06:40 AM   #10
weederr33
Airborne at your service

Drives: '17 BRZ Series.Yellow
Thanked 5,586 Times in 2,928 Posts
Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
What is usually the cause of malfunctions with the Rotrex units?

MS, CSCS, TSAC-F, CPT
weederr33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2018, 01:27 PM   #11
GrabTheWheel

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSG Mike View Post
Because cost of entry of a trackable turbo setup is double that of a trackable supercharger setup.
Mike, is it not common knowledge in the S2K community that Paxton blowers are more reliable than Rotrex when driven hard on track?? I am huge Jackson Racing fan just not a Rotrex fan. Wish they would switch to a different blower...
Old 11-20-2018, 03:10 PM   #12
CSG Mike

Drives: S2000 CR
Thanked 14,175 Times in 6,834 Posts
Mentioned: 966 Post(s)
Tagged: 14 Thread(s)
Quote:
Mike, is it not common knowledge in the S2K community that Paxton blowers are more reliable than Rotrex when driven hard on track?? I am huge Jackson Racing fan just not a Rotrex fan. Wish they would switch to a different blower...
Not at all... you might say I have some experience.

CSG Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2018, 03:47 PM   #13
mrg666
pessimistic skeptic

Drives: '14 FR-S Monogram AT JRSC
Thanked 1,035 Times in 684 Posts
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
You cannot come to 50% fail rate conclusion with just 6 reports. I am not even sure all of those 6 are related to Rotrex quality or even correct at all. This poll is so far from reality.
mrg666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2018, 03:52 PM   #14
mrg666
pessimistic skeptic

Drives: '14 FR-S Monogram AT JRSC
Thanked 1,035 Times in 684 Posts
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:

JR FRS with JRSC won SCCA championship. You don't know what you are talking about.
mrg666 is offline   Reply With Quote