follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Forced Induction

Forced Induction Turbo, Supercharger, Methanol, Nitrous

User Tag List
go_a_way1

Old 07-13-2014, 11:13 PM   #6637
silent runner

Drives: 93'Camry, 82'Corolla, 76' Celica
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by raven1231 View Post
Anyone else notice the system having sporadic power differences? What I mean is one day it will pull great and push you back in your seat, and other days it will make noise like you're going somewhere but feel significantly slower with no "pull" feeling at all. I thought maybe it was just differences in temperature and or humidity but starting to wonder if something might be loose of have a bad connection???
I wonder if it might be a combination of factors..., after you check out the connections, thing. I have noticed very significant differences in "pull", when you combine a couple of things like this. If It's a really hot day, and I haven't done a couple of pulls within a near time range (to condition the batteries), it can feel quite flat compared to peak situations. Heat though is the enemy of all FI, my old Mazda 626Turbo (boosting at 12psi), used to really fall on it's face on 80-90 degree farenheight days, with a very small intercooler. It was a totally different car at 40-50 degrees.

That old Mazda had a 7.8:1 compression ratio, My Camry V-6, has 9.7:1, you guys are massively higher than this. With no charge cooling, heat is going to play a big factor in what kind of power your engines are going to make with any FI.

My best results to date have been in quickly taking the car out of my heated garage, into near freezing temperatures, making a couple of quick boosted runs to condition the batteries, and then cutting it loose to do a 0-60 run of about 6 seconds flat. (and traction limited) - Not bad for a car that takes about 8.5 seconds to do that without Phantom supercharger boosting.

That last peice from the tuners, was a neat read, but I thought I might steer it back to the results of the guys driving this system for a second.
silent runner is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to silent runner For This Useful Post:
DAEMANO (07-13-2014), enwave (07-14-2014), raven1231 (07-14-2014)
Old 07-14-2014, 04:07 AM   #6638
raven1231

Drives: 2013 Firestorm FR-S, 2016 DGM WRX
Thanked 3,118 Times in 1,667 Posts
Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by silent runner View Post
I wonder if it might be a combination of factors..., after you check out the connections, thing. I have noticed very significant differences in "pull", when you combine a couple of things like this. If It's a really hot day, and I haven't done a couple of pulls within a near time range (to condition the batteries), it can feel quite flat compared to peak situations. Heat though is the enemy of all FI, my old Mazda 626Turbo (boosting at 12psi), used to really fall on it's face on 80-90 degree farenheight days, with a very small intercooler. It was a totally different car at 40-50 degrees.

That old Mazda had a 7.8:1 compression ratio, My Camry V-6, has 9.7:1, you guys are massively higher than this. With no charge cooling, heat is going to play a big factor in what kind of power your engines are going to make with any FI.

My best results to date have been in quickly taking the car out of my heated garage, into near freezing temperatures, making a couple of quick boosted runs to condition the batteries, and then cutting it loose to do a 0-60 run of about 6 seconds flat. (and traction limited) - Not bad for a car that takes about 8.5 seconds to do that without Phantom supercharger boosting.

That last peice from the tuners, was a neat read, but I thought I might steer it back to the results of the guys driving this system for a second.
Thanks for the input! I orginally thought it might have been temperature as it has been right around 90 almost everyday. I'll be taking the whole thing apart on Thursday. Hopefully ill know more then.
raven1231 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 07:08 AM   #6639
Boofneenee
Go-Kart Enthusiast

Drives: Toyota Scion FRS
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by raven1231 View Post
Thanks for the input! I orginally thought it might have been temperature as it has been right around 90 almost everyday. I'll be taking the whole thing apart on Thursday. Hopefully ill know more then.
Advanced. Mult running at a 1?
Old 07-14-2014, 09:25 AM   #6640
raven1231

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boofneenee View Post
Advanced. Mult running at a 1?
Yes sir
Old 07-14-2014, 04:30 PM   #6641
enwave
That headunit though...

Drives: 2013 Subaru BRZ Limited SSM
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Y'all, I've noticed that the 1.0tune seems to be performing better than the 1.5tune for me in terms of power. Drive ability is much better on the1.5pack tune though. I'm curious if the fact that I live at pretty high altitude might be affecting my AFR/boost levels, making my high-altitude 1.5 feel like a low altitude 1.0, making the 1.0 tune the more accurate one for me.

Should I go back to using the 1.00pack tune on my 1.5pack setup? Just curious what you all think.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
enwave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 04:35 PM   #6642
fenton

Drives: 2013 FR-S
Thanked 1,614 Times in 726 Posts
Mentioned: 120 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by enwave View Post
Y'all, I've noticed that the 1.0tune seems to be performing better than the 1.5tune for me in terms of power. Drive ability is much better on the1.5pack tune though. I'm curious if the fact that I live at pretty high altitude might be affecting my AFR/boost levels, making my high-altitude 1.5 feel like a low altitude 1.0, making the 1.0 tune the more accurate one for me.

Should I go back to using the 1.00pack tune on my 1.5pack setup? Just curious what you all think.

I've thought maybe our altitude was a factor in getting the right afrs... Do you bottom out the sensor at 11.x for the whole wot run too?

It is probably best for us to just get a protune for our altitude. I'm at 3500ft.
fenton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 04:35 PM   #6643
Sojhinn
Lightning McQueen Driver

Drives: Limited Red 6MT BRZ
Thanked 1,167 Times in 644 Posts
Mentioned: 77 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:

That's weird. I love the 2.0 tune. Are you an at or mt?

Installed Mods:
Phantom Electric Super Charger | Open Flash Tune | Perrin OP/ HFC Front pipe | Invidia Q300 catback | ST Suspension | JDL Header | Flex Fuel
Sojhinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 05:15 PM   #6644
enwave
That headunit though...

Full throttle Electric Supercharger Build Thread

AT at 4500ft -- AFR did look like it was in the 11.x range at WOT. I'll have to see if it is bottoming out or not.

Old 07-14-2014, 05:43 PM   #6645
Thobjo

Drives: GT86
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Sorry if this is not the right place but kinda frustrated.
Have tried several PMs and mails directly but no answer.
Really would like to get my name on the list as I am interested in the product
Thobjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 05:52 PM   #6646
fenton

Drives: 2013 FR-S
Thanked 1,614 Times in 726 Posts
Mentioned: 120 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thobjo View Post
Sorry if this is not the right place but kinda frustrated.
Have tried several PMs and mails directly but no answer.
Really would like to get my name on the list as I am interested in the product
If you have pmd Rob your name is on the list. Rob doesn't come on the forum too much as he owns and operates a heavy duty machine shop as well as a almost second full job of creating and supporting the phantoms sc's.

Us members on this forum try to help answer as many questions as we can and only when we can't answer them do I engage Rob so he doesn't burn up too much of his time.

The list is now exceedingly long and supply is way below demand. Rob is doing his best to push out kits in a timely manner but constant hold ups with custom parts coming in is slowing things down a bit.

This is one of the main reasons that Rob will never take anyone's money until their supercharger is packed up with a shipping label on it.
fenton is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to fenton For This Useful Post:
DAEMANO (07-14-2014), gtfapollo (07-17-2014), Thobjo (07-16-2014)
Old 07-14-2014, 06:39 PM   #6647
Robftss

Drives: VW
Mentioned: 109 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by fenton View Post
If you have pmd Rob your name is on the list. Rob doesn't come on the forum too much as he owns and operates a heavy duty machine shop as well as a almost second full job of creating and supporting the phantoms sc's.

Us members on this forum try to help answer as many questions as we can and only when we can't answer them do I engage Rob so he doesn't burn up too much of his time.

The list is now exceedingly long and supply is way below demand. Rob is doing his best to push out kits in a timely manner but constant hold ups with custom parts coming in is slowing things down a bit.

This is one of the main reasons that Rob will never take anyone's money until their supercharger is packed up with a shipping label on it.
Thks Fenton and all the new interested people.
I will be revising the installl manual, after ~30 kits it looks like step by step, circles/arrows, and check boxes are required. I may tag wires and reference them to a # operation, torque specs as well... since 'tighten' is to subjective. I need to evaluate one re-charge board failure and a control board failure. This is ALL new stuff and is primarily a development product not a mass produced product... it can't be... there is 'more' potential here. I'm excited

Rob.
Robftss is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to Robftss For This Useful Post:
Bu-Tang (07-15-2014), DAEMANO (07-14-2014), FingR-S (07-14-2014), gtfapollo (07-14-2014), Gums (07-16-2014), keen as (07-14-2014), l0aded (07-15-2014), raven1231 (07-14-2014), SloS14 (07-15-2014), Sojhinn (07-14-2014), Thobjo (07-16-2014), WRB5titch (07-14-2014)
Old 07-14-2014, 06:45 PM   #6648
raven1231

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robftss View Post
I will be revising the installl manual, after ~30 kits it looks like step by step, circles/arrows, and check boxes are required. I may tag wires and reference them to a # operation, torque specs as well... since 'tighten' is to subjective. I need to evaluate one re-charge board failure and a control board failure. This is ALL new stuff and is primarily a development product not a mass produced product... it can't be... there is 'more' potential here. I'm excited

Rob.
We appreciate all your hard work Rob as well as the contribution to this platform!
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to raven1231 For This Useful Post:
DAEMANO (07-14-2014), enwave (07-14-2014), Robftss (07-14-2014), Target70 (07-14-2014)
Old 07-14-2014, 07:43 PM   #6649
enwave
That headunit though...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robftss View Post

Rob.

Sounds good to me! If I can put in one piece of feedback, it would be suggestions on how to optimally route wires, particularly the voltmeter/throttle switch pair. It took me a bit to route them correctly keeping them away from snag points and exhaust components, and I bet that could be super helpful for some of the less creative installers.

I might also add little things like facing the controller eyelets toward the controller when attaching to post rings, as that helps the battery cover sit better and makes battery tie down and battery positioning much easier.

Just a few minor suggestions for people who buy in the future!

Thanks Rob! Gotta dumb it down for some of us

The Following User Says Thank You to enwave For This Useful Post:
DAEMANO (07-15-2014)
Old 07-14-2014, 10:02 PM   #6650
Gary in NJ

Drives: WR Blue BRZ, 240Z
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Sounds good to me! If I can put in one piece of feedback, it would be suggestions on how to optimally route wires, particularly the voltmeter/throttle switch pair. It took me a bit to route them correctly keeping them away from snag points and exhaust components, and I bet that could be super helpful for some of the less creative installers.
I've had the opportunity to install a few of the cockpit/control harnesses. By far, the best route is to keep the harness "high in the dash". By this I mean do not simply stay low above the transmission hump, but rather go high in the dash behind the radio and high behind the glove box. Going this way it's easy to install (and uninstall) with no slack to tie up.

Gary in NJ is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
26$ / wtq, affordable boost, better than turbo, brz electric supercharger, do want, dumbass freddy, electric shrimpage, electric supercharger, electronic supercharger, epic thread tag, fanboy circle jerk!, freddy keyboardwarrior, frs electric supercharger, get a real blower, haters gonna hate, hows the battery life?, lol, moar powa, nos with battery, one gear race champion, only pulls hard once, phantom charge, pm-robftss to order!, release date=not yet, release it already!, released!, rice, shut up and take our $$$, snake oil claims, street only, super pursuit mode, the price isn't known yet, tq300 plzkkthxbai, wooshy noise, yes turbo is better, yes turbo is expensive