follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > FT86CLUB Shared Forum > Regional Forums > Northern California

Northern California NorCal

User Tag List

Old 10-08-2015, 10:42 PM   #29
C4RBON

Drives: '15 BRZ, '19 GTI
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
I just replaced my plastic reverse lockout with a Beatrush model. I have a few tips:

1) A 2x4 wrapped in a detailing cloth fits perfectly between the shifter and HVAC controls (while the shifter is in the reverse position). This will support the shifter while you hammer the roll pin out and back in. This makes it easy, fast, and reduces the risk of damage.
2) Nails, drill bits, hex keys, and screw drivers are NOT the correct tool for removing a roll pin. A roll pin punch is the correct tool. I used a #3 roll pin punch (3/32") and it worked beautifully. Individually they are a few dollars. Used correctly and infrequently, a nice set ($40) will last a lifetime.
3) Remove the shift boot & trim after removing the shift knob. Grab the shift boot trim ring at the back and pull straight up (there are videos and guides for this). It pops right out and makes everything easier. Re-install it when your new lockout is in place, and you just pull the boot right over the top of the lockout.
4) Put the transmission in reverse before removing the roll pin. Leave it in reverse until the roll pin is re-installed. If you mess up and the reverse cable/plunger drops (you'll see once you remove the boot), a straight pick can grab the hole and help realign it.

Beatrush reverse lockout mini review:
1) The machining and anodizing is exquisite. It is super smooth. I got red, and it is almost a deep cherry red. It is a darker shade of red than the red stitching in the car. It doesn't look out-of-place, though.
2) Made in Japan.
3) It is overpriced for what it is. But because of 1 & 2, it is $60. I've spent more on junk in the past, and this item should last the lifetime of the car.
4) My only complaint is that the roll pin holes contrast sharply with the smoothness of the rest of the piece. I really notice them when my hand is on the gear knob and lockout. Its not really a "problem" but if I have to name one area for improvement, that would be it. A chamfer/countersink on the hole would help cut the sharp edge. Or machining a flat where the hole is located, like the OEM reverse lockout.

Hope this helps.
C4RBON is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to C4RBON For This Useful Post:
xtral (12-03-2015)
Old 12-14-2015, 04:21 AM   #30
xtral

Drives: Ford Focus 09'
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
how to re-insert the roll pin ? I still have a small part outside the new lockout, I have difficulty to hammer it without contact with the lockout..
xtral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2016, 11:48 PM   #31
xxatsayxx

Drives: 2015 WRB BRZ
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
After installing my reverse lockout, it feels like I have to push way harder to the left to get the shifter into first. What is going on??
xxatsayxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2016, 12:47 PM   #32
Kronos

Drives: Asphalt FR-S MT
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Have a problem here, I have the red raceseng lockout installed and I'm trying to swap in out to the gubmetal color I just received. However there aren't two holes for the pin like on the stock lockout, so there is no way for me to hammer out the pin to remove the lockout. Does anyone know another way of removing it?
Kronos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2016, 04:43 PM   #33
BAMF86
much slow

Drives: 13 Raven FRS, 05 Rio Yellow S2000
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kronos View Post
Have a problem here, I have the red raceseng lockout installed and I'm trying to swap in out to the gubmetal color I just received. However there aren't two holes for the pin like on the stock lockout, so there is no way for me to hammer out the pin to remove the lockout. Does anyone know another way of removing it?
You remove the pin from the raceseng lockout by unscrewing it with a 2mm hex. Only stock lockout requires to be hammered out
BAMF86 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to BAMF86 For This Useful Post:
Kronos (07-21-2016)
Old 07-21-2016, 06:10 PM   #34
Pish
#teamswagoi

Drives: 2014 Raven FR-S Monogram
Mentioned: 91 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BAMF86 View Post
You remove the pin from the raceseng lockout by unscrewing it with a 2mm hex. Only stock lockout requires to be hammered out
This!
Pish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2017, 05:12 PM   #35
peteypops33

Drives: 2016 Subaru BRZ Limited - 6spd
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
OMG so I am that guy....

Knocked the pin out in third gear and then pulled my bit out so the thing has dropped down....

How exactly do I get the hole back up to get it into reverse??

Thanks!
peteypops33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2017, 05:34 PM   #36
peteypops33

Drives: 2016 Subaru BRZ Limited - 6spd
Ok I'm still an idiot but I figured it out. I was worried I was going to have to pull all the boot out to retrieve the mechanism.

I actually found fishing that bit up easier than aligning the pin back in with the new lockout collar slid over.

I didn't get a fancy one with a screw, just an OEM style one but in black anodized Aluminum. All in now and working, looks/feels a bit better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by peteypops33 View Post
OMG so I am that guy....

Knocked the pin out in third gear and then pulled my bit out so the thing has dropped down....

How exactly do I get the hole back up to get it into reverse??

Thanks!
peteypops33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2018, 05:07 PM   #37
Zoid

Drives: 2015 Subaru BRZ Series.Blue CWP
Sorry to bump an old thread but I'm trying to install my new raceseng lockout and my pin will not budge. I don't have a proper punch set but I do have a 3/32 allen wrench and I've also tried a drill bit. This pin does not move a millimeter, I'm about to spray some WD-40 in there and go to town.
Zoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2018, 05:27 PM   #38
StraightOuttaCanadaEh
Wes

Drives: Artisan Spirits '17 86
Thanked 1,673 Times in 993 Posts
Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoid View Post
Sorry to bump an old thread but I'm trying to install my new raceseng lockout and my pin will not budge. I don't have a proper punch set but I do have a 3/32 allen wrench and I've also tried a drill bit. This pin does not move a millimeter, I'm about to spray some WD-40 in there and go to town.
The key is having the exact right size of punch. I tried everything to no avail. With the right punch it came out in 10 seconds
Old 03-11-2018, 12:41 PM   #39
Zoid

Drives: 2015 Subaru BRZ Series.Blue CWP
Quote:
Originally Posted by StraightOuttaCanadaEh View Post
The key is having the exact right size of punch. I tried everything to no avail. With the right punch it came out in 10 seconds
I got a punch set this morning, used the 3/32 and it still won't budge. I even sprayed a bit of WD40 in the hole and on the punch and took out my metal hammer and hit it harder and nothing! It's like the damn thing is super glued in there. I'm outta ideas and staring at this reverse lockout on my desk is driving me mad.

Edit: Okay, so for future reference, just ask someone else to hold the shifter in place so you're not losing so much force every time you hammer it. The pin came off in less than a minute once I got someone to hold it for me. It was a super frustrating experience but well worth it as the extra 5 HP is much appreciated.

Last edited by Zoid; 03-11-2018 at 01:31 PM.
Zoid is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Zoid For This Useful Post:
StraightOuttaCanadaEh (03-11-2018)
Old 04-04-2020, 05:00 PM   #40
obaids123

Drives: 2013 frs- pearl sattin white
Quote:
Originally Posted by peteypops33 View Post
Ok I'm still an idiot but I figured it out. I was worried I was going to have to pull all the boot out to retrieve the mechanism.

I actually found fishing that bit up easier than aligning the pin back in with the new lockout collar slid over.

I didn't get a fancy one with a screw, just an OEM style one but in black anodized Aluminum. All in now and working, looks/feels a bit better.
Hey so I think this also happened to me, the car was in reverse but when I took the reverse lockout off there was nothing there with a hole. How did you manage to fish it out? I’m using a large screwdriver and I can’t get anything up?
obaids123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2020, 12:02 AM   #41
BlueWhelan

Drives: 2013 Blue Subaru BRZ. 6 Spd manual
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by obaids123 View Post
Hey so I think this also happened to me, the car was in reverse but when I took the reverse lockout off there was nothing there with a hole. How did you manage to fish it out? I’m using a large screwdriver and I can’t get anything up?
(Bumping this thread because I just had to do this)

There are two white plastic pieces of trim that clip to the front and back of the shifter shaft. Take those off, and you should be able to see the top of the reverse cable, and the hole the pin goes through. Get a paper clip or similar, run it through, and now you can pull it up to the level it should be. Pull it all the way up to allow reverse, and put it in reverse. You should then be good to go as the reverse cable will stay in place once in reverse.

Don't do what I did and run the punch pin ABOVE the cable. It needs to go a bit lower. If you do, the pin might go in a bit easier (in my case, quite a bit easier), and when you pull the gear leaver out of reverse THAT'S when the cable will fall. You won't know until its too late.

Avoid this by using a light behind the shifter so you can see when everything lines up, THEN punch in the pin.
BlueWhelan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2020, 04:19 PM   #42
norcalpb

Drives: 2013 BRZ, 2023 Model 3
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueWhelan View Post
(Bumping this thread because I just had to do this)

There are two white plastic pieces of trim that clip to the front and back of the shifter shaft. Take those off, and you should be able to see the top of the reverse cable, and the hole the pin goes through. Get a paper clip or similar, run it through, and now you can pull it up to the level it should be. Pull it all the way up to allow reverse, and put it in reverse. You should then be good to go as the reverse cable will stay in place once in reverse.

Don't do what I did and run the punch pin ABOVE the cable. It needs to go a bit lower. If you do, the pin might go in a bit easier (in my case, quite a bit easier), and when you pull the gear leaver out of reverse THAT'S when the cable will fall. You won't know until its too late.

Avoid this by using a light behind the shifter so you can see when everything lines up, THEN punch in the pin.
Very clever! On my install I needed to remove the entire shifter rod to get a good hammering position on the other side of the pin, but once the whole shifter is out you can easily move the reverse contraption up and down.

If I didn't suck so bad at hammering and using foreign objects as a "punch", I most likely would've had to do what you did.
norcalpb is offline   Reply With Quote