follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > DIY (Do-It-Yourself) Guides

DIY (Do-It-Yourself) Guides For all DIYs.

User Tag List

Old 04-29-2020, 06:10 PM   #29
SuperTom

Drives: C5 Corvette, '17 Toyota 86, Jeep XJ
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonrogs View Post
if you heard a "ting" that could be one of your tob clips. Definitely pull it apart and take a peek.
I also recommend to zip tie the fork to a bolt outside the trans when putting the trans back in. This way it cannot get knocked off the pivot or push the tob post the sleeve it rides on incase you accidentally hit it on the tunnel.
Keep wiggling round and round until it goes on. I typically never spin the driveshaft as long as you wiggle it right, it will turn itself and go on.
Thanks I noticed after replacing the TOB and messing with the lever it was easy for it to pop off if I Pushed it passed a certain point too far
SuperTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2020, 08:52 PM   #30
ls1ac

Drives: BRZ, Noble M400, AC-LS7,1956 AC
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Garage
Just keep in mind that even if the clutch plate is perfectly aligned with the tool, that the two parts must be absolutely parallel or the shaft will miss the pilot bearing. That is why jacking the front of the motor is a help.
ls1ac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2020, 12:34 PM   #31
NoHaveMSG

Drives: Crapcan
Thanked 16,253 Times in 7,346 Posts
Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Garage
Are you guys using a transmission jack ? They are a big help. I didn't use one when I did mine, wish I had one. If the trans does not slide in most of the way it is binding. Pull it back out and try again, do not force it.
Old 04-30-2020, 08:02 PM   #32
airrick

Drives: TRD R.S. 1.0 FRS
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoHaveMSG View Post
Are you guys using a transmission jack ? They are a big help. I didn't use one when I did mine, wish I had one. If the trans does not slide in most of the way it is binding. Pull it back out and try again, do not force it.
I had like a handful of ppl to help me but yea. I just didnt wanna buy it to break. I heard from cousin they break easily. Now knowing what i know now. Id get a good trans jack.
airrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2020, 01:27 PM   #33
SuperTom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonrogs View Post
if you heard a "ting" that could be one of your tob clips. Definitely pull it apart and take a peek.
I also recommend to zip tie the fork to a bolt outside the trans when putting the trans back in. This way it cannot get knocked off the pivot or push the tob post the sleeve it rides on incase you accidentally hit it on the tunnel.
Keep wiggling round and round until it goes on. I typically never spin the driveshaft as long as you wiggle it right, it will turn itself and go on.
Yep that was the PING. those were new clips used at it popped off. I put the old clips back on as they are tighter and then I squeezed them even tighter.
It was VERY loose. I will take your advice with the zip ties.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoHaveMSG View Post
Yep have a harbor freight. 1st mistake is working on a hill and having the front up high. Ive sinced lowered the front a notch and jacked up the rear as high as I can to Level the car better. im sure those with a flat driveway or garage this is even not an issue.

2nd major mistake was listening to people on taking the shortcut of just unclipping the shifter and shifter "base" from underneath. Even though unattatched the rear of the "base" was still getting binded up underneath limiting my ability to move front and back and scrapping up my sway bar bad. Just by completely removing the shifter even taking the trans back out was 10x easier. I made sure to mark up the reverse plate as this was the main reason I didn't want to remove it in the first place was to avoid those alignment issues.

I was lucky to come out unscathed. The clutch looks fine and the pilot bearing on the flywheel looks good!

taking a nice long lunch then will reinstall the clutch. I will see if my neck is up trying the trans in again or I will wait till tomorrow.
Old 05-01-2020, 04:53 PM   #34
SuperTom

Well I wont officially know if everythings ok until I test drive it but was able to get the trans within a few mm's without cheating which was good enough for me.

I got the bottom within a 1/2", the top was still "1 away. So I jacked the front motor up then it just seemed to pop into place without touching the bottom!!

The car gods were happy today it seems
Old 05-01-2020, 07:38 PM   #35
ls1ac

Drives: BRZ, Noble M400, AC-LS7,1956 AC
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Garage
I am glad you got it in.
The jack stands are scary high. Next time I might suggest putting something else under the car just incase the pushing and pulling rolls the stands over. Old rims. logs, anything.
ls1ac is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ls1ac For This Useful Post:
Dave-ROR (05-09-2020), NoHaveMSG (05-01-2020), SuperTom (05-01-2020)
Old 05-01-2020, 09:01 PM   #36
SuperTom

Quote:
Originally Posted by ls1ac View Post
I am glad you got it in.
The jack stands are scary high. Next time I might suggest putting something else under the car just incase the pushing and pulling rolls the stands over. Old rims. logs, anything.
after I get my car up I always push on the front and rear bumpers to test rockability, If its gonna tip I want to happen then before I get under it. Thanks for the advice