follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Cosmetic Modification (Interior/Exterior/Lighting)

Cosmetic Modification (Interior/Exterior/Lighting) Discussions about cosmetic mods.

User Tag List

Old 08-22-2014, 09:59 AM   #71
dietz

Drives: Raven / 6MT FR-S
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by namele55 View Post
Any updates on the roof rack? Pros and cons? Did it screw up the roof or weather stripping or window glass?
I'm interested in an update too.

@that_guy reports that it damages the moldings:

http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showp...06&postcount=2
dietz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014, 10:03 AM   #72
dietz

Drives: Raven / 6MT FR-S
One last thing, the yakima website no longer lets you select a roof rack mounting for the FR-S. Maybe they have taken it off after reports of damage?
dietz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014, 12:51 PM   #73
BigFatFlip
sleep, drive, eat, repeat

Drives: '13 BRZ, '12 Outback
Thanked 3,796 Times in 1,981 Posts
Mentioned: 188 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by namele55 View Post
Any updates on the roof rack? Pros and cons? Did it screw up the roof or weather stripping or window glass?
Quote:
Originally Posted by dietz View Post
I'm interested in an update too.

@that_guy reports that it damages the moldings:

http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showp...06&postcount=2
I've had my yakima roof rack and inno cargo box for about 1.5 yrs now. The combo has done about 3k miles of travel and camping, holding about 50-60 lbs in it (backpack+camping supplies). The whole set-up usually stays off the car because of my daily commute (knocks down my fuel economy a good 5-8 mpgs).

I've had very little problems with it during driving, other than the uneasy feeling you get seeing it bob up and down once in a while at windy/freeway speeds. If you look at my previous post a year ago, I recommended using some clear bra material to put between the pads of the roof rack and the paint since dirt can get in between and create fine scratches on the paint. Molding did look like they flexed during use (since its what it hangs on to) and seem to stay that way for a couple of days after taking the rack off. I would imagine that they can be damaged if left on just because they were never designed to hold that constant tension.

I say its good to have if you need to carry something like a bike or cargo box on a weekend, but I would not recommend leaving it on.
Attached Images

BigFatFlip is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BigFatFlip For This Useful Post:
RIP.S2000 (09-13-2015), Trettiosjuan (08-22-2014)
Old 08-22-2014, 07:43 PM   #74
@Art_Mighty
uosɹǝdʎɐl ʇɹǝdxǝ

Drives: Asphalt AVO FR-S w/a Slushbox! :P
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dietz View Post
One last thing, the yakima website no longer lets you select a roof rack mounting for the FR-S. Maybe they have taken it off after reports of damage?

I got one on my car earlier in the summer to transport a kayak. The shop I went to was pretty hesitant to help me out and they ended up damaging the roof's sheet metal a little. The rack hung on the roof for a 2000 mile trip so it works, just don't deviate from the measurements listed in the beginning of the thread.

...because some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn

Last edited by @Art_Mighty; 08-22-2014 at 08:02 PM.
@Art_Mighty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014, 10:03 PM   #75
cycleboy

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S - Argento
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
These cars look really funny with big things on top!
cycleboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 03:05 PM   #76
GerryL

Drives: White BRZ
Landing Pads

Can any of you with the Yakima systems in use comment on the correct landing pads? The initial post lists the clip and pad as Q91-A. There is a Q91 clip but there do not appear to be pads labeled with letters. The pads seem to be numbered as well. What actual Q clips and landing pads did you use? As mentioned the combo is no longer listed at Yakima's site. Thanks.
GerryL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 03:27 PM   #77
HerrFunf

Drives: 2014 FR-S
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
My fear is that you guys are going to ruin your paint where the pads touch the roof. The last two cars I've owned both had paint bubbling and chipping where my yakima racks were after a couple years. Same racks shown in everyones pics here. Oh, and on a different car i had, the weatherstripping ripped from those same yaks, and rain started dripping in. My advice (and personal preference) is to use your significant others' car to haul stuff. But i'd love to be proven wrong because I've been thinking about surf racks myself.
HerrFunf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014, 09:33 AM   #78
GerryL

Drives: White BRZ
I'm sure much of that varies with how often you use it. In my case it will only be for a few days a year for track events...where the wife's car wont cut it.

If anyone knows the detail on those clips and pads, it would greatly be appreciated.
GerryL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014, 12:24 PM   #79
BigFatFlip

Quote:
Originally Posted by GerryL View Post
Can any of you with the Yakima systems in use comment on the correct landing pads? The initial post lists the clip and pad as Q91-A. There is a Q91 clip but there do not appear to be pads labeled with letters. The pads seem to be numbered as well. What actual Q clips and landing pads did you use? As mentioned the combo is no longer listed at Yakima's site. Thanks.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GerryL View Post
If anyone knows the detail on those clips and pads, it would greatly be appreciated.
Took a look at my Q-towers this morning and could not find a part number on the pads other than the "A". Did a quick google search and found this:

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gp-gwrCRuE4"]Yakima Accessories and Parts Y8810084 Review - etrailer.com - YouTube[/ame]

He does mention something about the pad being a replacement for Yakima "Y00124 and Y00135" and I would guess you would need the letter "A". http://www.etrailer.com/Accessories-.../Y8810084.html

Hope that helps.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HerrFunf View Post
My fear is that you guys are going to ruin your paint where the pads touch the roof. The last two cars I've owned both had paint bubbling and chipping where my yakima racks were after a couple years. Same racks shown in everyones pics here. Oh, and on a different car i had, the weatherstripping ripped from those same yaks, and rain started dripping in. My advice (and personal preference) is to use your significant others' car to haul stuff. But i'd love to be proven wrong because I've been thinking about surf racks myself.
You are correct, it does! Which is why I've been recommending folks to add little strips of clearbra on the contact surfaces. As I mentioned previously, its a great option for the once or twice a month I do need the extra cargo room, but I wouldn't leave it one permanently.
Old 08-27-2014, 02:35 PM   #80
Chelsey Kate

Drives: 2013 FRS
Why put a roof rack on? I fit two bikes in with the seats down for a tri last weekend
Chelsey Kate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 02:41 PM   #81
BigFatFlip

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chelsey Kate View Post
Why put a roof rack on? I fit two bikes in with the seats down for a tri last weekend
For me, when going backpacking: wife in passenger seat, dog in the back seat, one backpack in the trunk+heavy camping stuff, other backpack and bulky light stuff (sleeping bags, hiking boots, treking poles, etc) in the cargo box.
Old 09-05-2014, 01:37 AM   #82
namele55

Drives: frs
Quote:
Originally Posted by @Art_Mighty View Post

I got one on my car earlier in the summer to transport a kayak. The shop I went to was pretty hesitant to help me out and they ended up damaging the roof's sheet metal a little. The rack hung on the roof for a 2000 mile trip so it works, just don't deviate from the measurements listed in the beginning of the thread.
Thanks for the update. I'm digging the cargo box it definitely looks bad ass.
namele55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2015, 06:26 PM   #83
stoked_on_spool

Drives: 2013 BRZ, SSM, Limited, M/T
Bumping an old thread because it seems to be the best one regarding roof racks. I'm looking to transport some wheels/tires for the track and would love to throw them up on the roof instead of stuffing them in the car and taking up all the room. Has anyone done this with a roof rack? I'm assuming a custom (unique) system will be needed to be placed on the cross bars that probably isn't readily available, but I think it'd be much nicer to do that than stuff them in the car or pull a tire trailer.

Any insight would be appreciated. Thanks.

-Bret
stoked_on_spool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2015, 06:55 PM   #84
BigFatFlip

Quote:
Originally Posted by stoked_on_spool View Post
Bumping an old thread because it seems to be the best one regarding roof racks. I'm looking to transport some wheels/tires for the track and would love to throw them up on the roof instead of stuffing them in the car and taking up all the room. Has anyone done this with a roof rack? I'm assuming a custom (unique) system will be needed to be placed on the cross bars that probably isn't readily available, but I think it'd be much nicer to do that than stuff them in the car or pull a tire trailer.

Any insight would be appreciated. Thanks.

-Bret
I have the yakima Q-tower with the Inno cargo box (see my set-up a few posts up) but have since gotten the yakima load warrior same as the one on this post

http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showp...23&postcount=8

The basket itself isn't very big, plus the cross bars aren't spaced very far apart because of our relatively short roofs, so there are not so many other options available (length-wise). I have 235s for track tires and transported 2 of them to and from the track with no problem. You can probably stack them higher or have them over hang but I was only comfortable stacking 2 up there though, and carried the other 2 in the back seat. Good luck and make sure to post what ever you end up with
The Following User Says Thank You to BigFatFlip For This Useful Post:
stoked_on_spool (11-25-2015)