follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine, Exhaust, Transmission

Engine, Exhaust, Transmission Discuss the FR-S | 86 | BRZ engine, exhaust and drivetrain.

User Tag List

Old 10-03-2014, 12:20 PM   #1
omegared19

Drives: White 2013 BRZ Limited 6MT
Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Differential Avice Wanted

I tried searching and didn't find too much on diffs, but I'm looking for help and advise.

I've one other 86 with an upgraded diff, and I loved the feel. It had the Cusco diff in it. However I heard (somewhere) that it was just the same Toyota diff we already have with a handful of slightly upgraded pieces within the diff. Not entirely sold on $1500 for a few slightly upgraded pieces. Also will it eliminate, or cause problems for, my TCS?
I wanted to ask for insight from anyone on here that might know more than me and can help educate me on what my final decision will be. Thnx in advance
omegared19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2014, 01:19 PM   #2
Grip Ronin
The Mechanic

Drives: Civic Turbo,FR-S
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
A diff wont effect you tcs because that is read at the wheel. Do you know what diff the csr had? Like 1. 1.5 or 2 way?
Old 10-03-2014, 01:22 PM   #3
omegared19

Garage
I don't know. But am trying to find out
Old 10-03-2014, 01:33 PM   #4
CSG Mike

Drives: S2000 CR
Thanked 14,177 Times in 6,835 Posts
Mentioned: 966 Post(s)
Tagged: 14 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by omegared19 View Post
I tried searching and didn't find too much on diffs, but I'm looking for help and advise.

I've one other 86 with an upgraded diff, and I loved the feel. It had the Cusco diff in it. However I heard (somewhere) that it was just the same Toyota diff we already have with a handful of slightly upgraded pieces within the diff. Not entirely sold on $1500 for a few slightly upgraded pieces. Also will it eliminate, or cause problems for, my TCS?
I wanted to ask for insight from anyone on here that might know more than me and can help educate me on what my final decision will be. Thnx in advance
What exactly are you trying to do?
CSG Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2014, 01:58 PM   #5
omegared19

Garage
I'm an experienced road and track racer looking to have more fun with my daily driver
Old 10-04-2014, 12:29 AM   #6
Dustin
Twin Screw You

Drives: 2013 Supercharged Whiteout FR-S
Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
A good thread from @CSG Mike.

http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=68310

It explains very well the benefits of a proper clutch type LSD. A Cusco LSD is a clutch type and is not the same as we have in our cars in stock form. The stock differential in our cars is a Torsen LSD. I have the Tomei 2 way in my FRS and it is one of the best upgrades I have done. Definitely worth the money.
Dustin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Dustin For This Useful Post:
CSG Mike (10-04-2014)
Old 10-04-2014, 01:18 AM   #7
CSG Mike

Drives: S2000 CR
Thanked 14,177 Times in 6,835 Posts
Mentioned: 966 Post(s)
Tagged: 14 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by omegared19 View Post
I'm an experienced road and track racer looking to have more fun with my daily driver
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dustin View Post
A good thread from @CSG Mike.

http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=68310

It explains very well the benefits of a proper clutch type LSD. A Cusco LSD is a clutch type and is not the same as we have in our cars in stock form. The stock differential in our cars is a Torsen LSD. I have the Tomei 2 way in my FRS and it is one of the best upgrades I have done. Definitely worth the money.
He beat me to it. If you're into cornering, you want an upgraded LSD.
CSG Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CSG Mike For This Useful Post:
aegisdrgn (10-04-2014)
Old 10-04-2014, 01:19 AM   #8
omegared19

Garage
Hahahaha thnx guys
Old 10-04-2014, 01:32 AM   #9
Dustin
Twin Screw You

Drives: 2013 Supercharged Whiteout FR-S
Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
And another good post from him as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSG Mike View Post
I've been getting a lot of PMs about LSDs lately, so hopefully this will answer a lot of questions!

A torsen differential can apply as determined by the internal TBR (torque bias ratio). A 4:1 ratio means that one side can handle up to 80% of the torque from the engine.
The Torsen itself works by attempting to slow down the wheel spinning faster (outer wheel) and speed up the wheel spinning slower (inner wheel). It can do this up to the TBR described above. If the torque to the wheels exceeds the TBR, then you get inner wheel spin.
A locking, or clutch type limited slip differential works by literally locking the outer and inner wheels when there is a speed difference and a torque being applied, forcing the wheels to turn at the same speed. You can only spin both wheels, or neither wheel, with this type of diff, under normal use. The actual locking is done by a series of clutch disks.

Building on my other post, we can infer a few things.

- When a Torsen (the oem type) diff's capacity is exceeded, the inside wheel will still spin, like an open differential
- A Torsen is "locked" only when you stay within the capability of the differential, the TBR
- A Torsen's behavior can be demonstrated by jacking up the rear of the the car, and then spinning one of the rear tires; the other rear tire will spin in the opposite direction

Now, from that, you can see that there are a few problems:

- If you lift a rear wheel, you effectively have an open differential
- If you are cornering hard enough under acceleration, then you will spin the inner wheel, effectively having an open differential
- If you suddenly hit a patch of low traction (hydroplaning on one side of the car, ice, snow, etc.), you effectively have an open differential

Now, a clutch/locking type differential addresses the following:

- If the inside wheel is lifted, both tires will be spinning the same speed
- If one wheel wheel suffers a loss of traction, both tires will still be spinning the same speed.
- Under cornering and acceleration, you can only spin both tires, or neither tire. You cannot spin only one tire.

The end result:

- The car will rotate more readily, but also more progressively, giving you a much larger window of opportunity to correct/compensate for the rotation. Effectively, car is **more predictable** under cornering.
- **The limit of adhesion under cornering is substantially raised.** Previously, losing traction on one rear tire resulted in a loss of control. Now you have to overcome the grip of BOTH rear tires to lose control of the rear.
- Remember, the inner rear tire is the one that spins; the inner tire is the one that is unloaded! Now you have to spin both the unloaded AND loaded (outer) tire. All that weight transfer that happened to the outer tire, giving it extra grip, also has to be overcome to lose control of the rear!
- You will not suddenly spin if you suffer loss of traction on just one side of the vehicle
- You can much more easily "throttle steer" the car (a more advanced driving technique, where the car has minimal steering wheel input, but weight transfer is being sustained horizontally, so you can make the car turn more or less by modulating the throttle)

Bonus:
- VSC Sport activates when it detects a change in rate in wheel speed between the four wheels. Because the Clutch type LSD prevents the rear wheels from spinning at different rates, you're effectively increasing the limits of the car, **substantially**.

Side note:
- VSC works by activating the brakes. If you're doing hard driving, you really should not be using VSC; it puts a lot of strain on **all** types of differentials.
Dustin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Dustin For This Useful Post:
aegisdrgn (10-04-2014)