follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum - FT86CLUB > Off-Topic Discussions > Off-Topic Lounge [WARNING: NO POLITICS]

Off-Topic Lounge [WARNING: NO POLITICS] For all off-topic discussion topics.

User Tag List
EAGLE5, finch1750, go_a_way1, iManage, KR-S, MisterSheep, Tcoat, Ultramaroon

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 01-23-2021, 05:29 PM   #74887
spike021
Senior Member
 
spike021's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Drives: '17 Limited BRZ CWP w/ PP
Location: San Jose, CA
Posts: 3,770
Thanks: 8,106
Thanked 3,546 Times in 1,834 Posts
Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dadhawk View Post
The only self-checkout model I like is the Sam's Club "scan and go" method where you use your smartphone, scan stuff as you put it in your cart, then checkout. No line at all.

Any other place I refuse to use self-checkout unless there is no other choice. If they gave me a discount for using it, I would but since they are not, and I don't work for them, then I'm going through the line.
The Costco near me recently put out self checkout aisles. Itís surprisingly quick there and most people donít use them because who wants to ring up 20 bulk packages of items? So itís great for me because I only ever get 3-5 items at Costco.

Scan membership card, scan items, pay. Easy peasy.
__________________
Instagram: @spike.brz
Quote:
Originally Posted by humfrz View Post
It sounds to me like the delicate, metallic sounds of piston skirts slapping against the cylinder walls
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
Now, if it was three feet long and you were using all that leverage
spike021 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2021, 05:43 PM   #74888
Spuds
The Dictater
 
Spuds's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Drives: '13 Red Scion FRS
Location: MD, USA
Posts: 5,637
Thanks: 15,253
Thanked 6,522 Times in 3,450 Posts
Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by strat61caster View Post
time is money yo

I take the shortest line, if I don't have to talk to someone when I don't want to; bonus points

'but it's costing jobs'

fuck off, very few people dream of being a cashier, some do, sure, power to them for finding what they enjoy, there will be a human face to customer service for a very long time, but I look forward to the day when mankind does not have to work to thrive

George Jetson worked 3 hours a day, 3 days a week.
So does Congress, what's your point? Also George Jetson was a cartoon character.

There are a lot of folks like high school/college kids or retired folk that want to make some money but don't have the time or energy for a full time job. It builds references for future job applications, pays for college books and such, and let's you have some luxuries you might not normally have. I would rather live in a world where somebody who wants a basic part time job like that can get one, rather than one where there aren't any options for that.

Plus, it's more efficient of they check me out than me doing it myself.
Spuds is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Spuds For This Useful Post:
Dadhawk (01-23-2021), p1l0t (01-23-2021), soundman98 (01-23-2021), Ultramaroon (01-23-2021)
Old 01-23-2021, 06:03 PM   #74889
soundman98
threadwrecker
 
soundman98's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Drives: '14 brz limited
Location: chicago-ish
Posts: 5,769
Thanks: 15,731
Thanked 6,395 Times in 3,305 Posts
Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by strat61caster View Post
time is money yo

I take the shortest line, if I don't have to talk to someone when I don't want to; bonus points

'but it's costing jobs'

fuck off, very few people dream of being a cashier, some do, sure, power to them for finding what they enjoy, there will be a human face to customer service for a very long time, but I look forward to the day when mankind does not have to work to thrive

George Jetson worked 3 hours a day, 3 days a week.
"George Jetson Plumbing, how can i help you?"

"yes, um, my drains are backing up, i need to get this cleaned up!"

"ok, how does 2 months from now at 8:00 in the morning work for you?"

"i've got RAW SEWAGE coming into my house!"

"yes, well, so does everyone else it seems, but per the government mandate, we only work 3 hours a day for 3 days a week, so the next appointment is available 2 months from now."

"i'm calling someone else! you useless plumber!"

"please do, and if you find someone not booked out past a month, can you let me know who it is i can refer others to?"

[20 minutes later]

"George Jetson Plumbing, how can i help you?"

"yes, i called about 20 minutes ago because there's RAW SEWAGE backing up into my house."

"ah, yeah i remember."

"i'll take that appointment in 2 months."

"sorry, it's 2 and a half months now."

"WHAT?!?"

"it's been 20 minutes since you called, i've had 4 others call and schedule in that time."

"WHAT AM I SUPPOSED TO DO UNTIL THEN?!?"

"get a bucket i suppose."
__________________
my '14 brz limited "the return to normal" (or is it?)
led mods-10%(planning/designing/sitting on hands)audio mods-99%(done is never done)

hidplanet build log
soundman98 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to soundman98 For This Useful Post:
Dadhawk (01-23-2021), NoHaveMSG (01-23-2021), p1l0t (01-23-2021), Spuds (01-23-2021)
Old 01-23-2021, 06:15 PM   #74890
strat61caster
-
 
strat61caster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Drives: '13 FRS
Location: SF Bay Area
Posts: 9,630
Thanks: 12,959
Thanked 8,772 Times in 4,601 Posts
Mentioned: 87 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
both y'all are luddite drones
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guff View Post
ineedyourdiddly
strat61caster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2021, 06:16 PM   #74891
p1l0t
Senior Member
 
p1l0t's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Drives: 2016 Subaru BRZ Hyperblue
Location: West Hartford, CT
Posts: 7,173
Thanks: 18,506
Thanked 7,684 Times in 3,995 Posts
Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
We are at a turning point in humanity. I've always been all about individuality and free market capitalism. However the rise of automation and A.I. will eventually replace all of our jobs. Starting with the most mundane, but eventually everything that we need could be provided to us by machines far more effcient than we will ever be. This makes things like UBI that I, even 5 or 10 years ago would have scoffed at as socialist/ communist. And this isn't meant in anyway to lead to a political discussion. What I'm saying is we are replacing our want/need to work at an exponential rate. In many ways this is great for us. However, we have to redefine our purpose. Here in the U.S. (an many other countries) we define ourselves by what we do. I mean look at my nickname. I'm a pilot, I fly planes, my friends even call me Captain sometimes, lol. Planes can already fly themselves, I get paid mostly as an overseer, customer service, and primarily to deal with emergency situations that the systems don't fully correct for on their own... YET. (Well that and the planes I fly don't takeoff and land by themselves yet but some do). I've spent most of my life looking for jobs that pay well but also are fun. I work insane amounts of hours and it pays off monetarily but there is plenty of life to enjoy without working. Now all apocalypse/war against the machine or A.I. aside (although we will probably integrate ourselves into it anyway and become the A.I. ourselves), there is a philosophical problem with have to deal with... How we decide to redefine ourselves and the old who gets what. I think it will be more freedom in the long run if we do it right. We just have to learn to find things to do with all the extra time we will have. That's not necessarily a bad thing. Right now it's scary because none of want to be useless. We fear being poor because of not having a job. But if the machines do everything for us... we don't NEED to have a job. We do have to rewrite what spending our time doing is worth though.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
p1l0t is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to p1l0t For This Useful Post:
humfrz (01-23-2021), MICHAEL450f (01-23-2021)
Old 01-23-2021, 07:26 PM   #74892
Spuds
The Dictater
 
Spuds's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Drives: '13 Red Scion FRS
Location: MD, USA
Posts: 5,637
Thanks: 15,253
Thanked 6,522 Times in 3,450 Posts
Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by p1l0t View Post
We are at a turning point in humanity. I've always been all about individuality and free market capitalism. However the rise of automation and A.I. will eventually replace all of our jobs. Starting with the most mundane, but eventually everything that we need could be provided to us by machines far more effcient than we will ever be. This makes things like UBI that I, even 5 or 10 years ago would have scoffed at as socialist/ communist. And this isn't meant in anyway to lead to a political discussion. What I'm saying is we are replacing our want/need to work at an exponential rate. In many ways this is great for us. However, we have to redefine our purpose. Here in the U.S. (an many other countries) we define ourselves by what we do. I mean look at my nickname. I'm a pilot, I fly planes, my friends even call me Captain sometimes, lol. Planes can already fly themselves, I get paid mostly as an overseer, customer service, and primarily to deal with emergency situations that the systems don't fully correct for on their own... YET. (Well that and the planes I fly don't takeoff and land by themselves yet but some do). I've spent most of my life looking for jobs that pay well but also are fun. I work insane amounts of hours and it pays off monetarily but there is plenty of life to enjoy without working. Now all apocalypse/war against the machine or A.I. aside (although we will probably integrate ourselves into it anyway and become the A.I. ourselves), there is a philosophical problem with have to deal with... How we decide to redefine ourselves and the old who gets what. I think it will be more freedom in the long run if we do it right. We just have to learn to find things to do with all the extra time we will have. That's not necessarily a bad thing. Right now it's scary because none of want to be useless. We fear being poor because of not having a job. But if the machines do everything for us... we don't NEED to have a job. We do have to rewrite what spending our time doing is worth though.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
1. We get it. You're a pilot.
2. When we get to the point where machines can do everything, we will have a much more difficult philosophical problem to solve and that is "what is a person"? Most human law is written such that it applies to people/persons that are sentient and assuming they are of sound mind. Is an AI exempt from those laws? If they are declared not exempt are they therefore a person? Will making such a 'person' do work for you without compensation be slavery? Is slavery still against the law in that situation? Etc.
3. You don't need AI for an aircraft to land itself.
Spuds is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Spuds For This Useful Post:
p1l0t (01-23-2021)
Old 01-23-2021, 07:28 PM   #74893
Dadhawk
1st86 Driver!
 
Dadhawk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Drives: '13 FR-S (#3 of 1st 86)
Location: Powder Springs, GA
Posts: 15,382
Thanks: 29,207
Thanked 17,352 Times in 8,198 Posts
Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by strat61caster View Post
I take the shortest line, if I don't have to talk to someone when I don't want to; bonus points
It is never the shortest (as in quickest) line as far as I can tell, and time is only money when someone is paying you. All other time is, well, just time.
__________________

Visit my Owner's Journal where I wax philosophic on all things FR-S
Post your 86 or see others in front of a(n) (in)famous landmark.
What fits in your 86? Show us the "Junk In Your Trunk".
Dadhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Dadhawk For This Useful Post:
humfrz (01-23-2021), p1l0t (01-23-2021), Ultramaroon (01-23-2021)
Old 01-23-2021, 07:30 PM   #74894
Dadhawk
1st86 Driver!
 
Dadhawk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Drives: '13 FR-S (#3 of 1st 86)
Location: Powder Springs, GA
Posts: 15,382
Thanks: 29,207
Thanked 17,352 Times in 8,198 Posts
Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by spike021 View Post
The Costco near me recently put out self checkout aisles. Itís surprisingly quick there and most people donít use them because who wants to ring up 20 bulk packages of items? So itís great for me because I only ever get 3-5 items at Costco.

Scan membership card, scan items, pay. Easy peasy.
Still like Sams method better. Scan it as you put it in your cart, check out on your phone and leave.
__________________

Visit my Owner's Journal where I wax philosophic on all things FR-S
Post your 86 or see others in front of a(n) (in)famous landmark.
What fits in your 86? Show us the "Junk In Your Trunk".
Dadhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2021, 07:37 PM   #74895
spike021
Senior Member
 
spike021's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Drives: '17 Limited BRZ CWP w/ PP
Location: San Jose, CA
Posts: 3,770
Thanks: 8,106
Thanked 3,546 Times in 1,834 Posts
Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dadhawk View Post
Still like Sams method better. Scan it as you put it in your cart, check out on your phone and leave.
Oh whoa. Thatís similar to the Amazon Go markets. Though their system is creepier. You scan your Prime membership as you walk in and then it knows what you take off the shelf. Then you just walk out and it charges you automatically.
__________________
Instagram: @spike.brz
Quote:
Originally Posted by humfrz View Post
It sounds to me like the delicate, metallic sounds of piston skirts slapping against the cylinder walls
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
Now, if it was three feet long and you were using all that leverage
spike021 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to spike021 For This Useful Post:
Dadhawk (01-24-2021)
Old 01-23-2021, 07:40 PM   #74896
soundman98
threadwrecker
 
soundman98's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Drives: '14 brz limited
Location: chicago-ish
Posts: 5,769
Thanks: 15,731
Thanked 6,395 Times in 3,305 Posts
Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by p1l0t View Post
....
Something I've learned long ago is that humans are lazy. We will on average put the least amount of effort as possible into anything.

The main reason to work is to make money. If robots do all the work, best we can do is all become janitors and maintance people, which are not and likely never will be highly paid positions. Aka, the movie Elsium without the rich ring satellite.

Yea, that got dark quick...

This is generally where a universal income, or "everyone gets a paycheck from the government" comes in.

But refer to my first point. We saw it in the covid recovery stuff. People weren't showing up to work after they got their check because they didn't need to.

I don't believe robots will take over as much as they could simply because we have a population problem that needs solving first.
__________________
my '14 brz limited "the return to normal" (or is it?)
led mods-10%(planning/designing/sitting on hands)audio mods-99%(done is never done)

hidplanet build log
soundman98 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to soundman98 For This Useful Post:
p1l0t (01-23-2021)
Old 01-23-2021, 09:20 PM   #74897
p1l0t
Senior Member
 
p1l0t's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Drives: 2016 Subaru BRZ Hyperblue
Location: West Hartford, CT
Posts: 7,173
Thanks: 18,506
Thanked 7,684 Times in 3,995 Posts
Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spuds View Post
1. We get it. You're a pilot.
2. When we get to the point where machines can do everything, we will have a much more difficult philosophical problem to solve and that is "what is a person"? Most human law is written such that it applies to people/persons that are sentient and assuming they are of sound mind. Is an AI exempt from those laws? If they are declared not exempt are they therefore a person? Will making such a 'person' do work for you without compensation be slavery? Is slavery still against the law in that situation? Etc.
3. You don't need AI for an aircraft to land itself.
Hahaha yes I know you don't need A.I. to land just an advanced autopilot. You need A.I. to handle emergency/abnormal situations though.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
p1l0t is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to p1l0t For This Useful Post:
Spuds (01-24-2021)
Old 01-23-2021, 09:39 PM   #74898
humfrz
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2013
Drives: 2013 FR-S, white, MT
Location: Puyallup, WA
Posts: 27,010
Thanks: 23,850
Thanked 26,625 Times in 14,333 Posts
Mentioned: 626 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by p1l0t View Post
.................... We just have to learn to find things to do with all the extra time we will have. That's not necessarily a bad thing. Right now it's scary because none of want to be useless. .............
mrs humfrz and I have solved that problem in our retirement years - just have at least one kid that has at least one kid and they live near you -
humfrz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to humfrz For This Useful Post:
p1l0t (01-23-2021), soundman98 (01-23-2021)
Old 01-23-2021, 09:45 PM   #74899
p1l0t
Senior Member
 
p1l0t's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Drives: 2016 Subaru BRZ Hyperblue
Location: West Hartford, CT
Posts: 7,173
Thanks: 18,506
Thanked 7,684 Times in 3,995 Posts
Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by spike021 View Post
Oh whoa. Thatís similar to the Amazon Go markets. Though their system is creepier. You scan your Prime membership as you walk in and then it knows what you take off the shelf. Then you just walk out and it charges you automatically.
When I use my Prime I just have it shipped to my house. No lines.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
p1l0t is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to p1l0t For This Useful Post:
Dadhawk (01-24-2021)
Old 01-23-2021, 10:23 PM   #74900
spike021
Senior Member
 
spike021's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Drives: '17 Limited BRZ CWP w/ PP
Location: San Jose, CA
Posts: 3,770
Thanks: 8,106
Thanked 3,546 Times in 1,834 Posts
Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by p1l0t View Post
When I use my Prime I just have it shipped to my house. No lines.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
Go stores are more like markets where you can get premade deli sandwiches, cold drinks, some produce, etc.
__________________
Instagram: @spike.brz
Quote:
Originally Posted by humfrz View Post
It sounds to me like the delicate, metallic sounds of piston skirts slapping against the cylinder walls
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
Now, if it was three feet long and you were using all that leverage
spike021 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to spike021 For This Useful Post:
p1l0t (01-23-2021)
Reply

Tags
aching balls, ass or gtfo, germanystrikesback, guff approved, human resources, i don't wanna go to prom, i lurk, i participated, i read this thread, i'm so gay, ichi has crabs, ichi is in denial, imanage can't manage, in god we thrust, me worry?, member berries, never forget, no politics, nothing for you!!!, nsfp, omg i can't catch up! :(, poo on my chest, post #696 review on ichi, sapphireho sucks!, specialk watches you post, special_k is a lurker, tcoat is as tcoat does, tcoat is dead, tcoat is jesus, tcoat is risen, tcoat returns, tcoat rules, tig ol bitties, tits or gtfo, touch me, trackmyfarts, wubba lubba dub dubs!!!, y u do dis

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Language Rant Part Deux MuseChaser Off-Topic Lounge [WARNING: NO POLITICS] 43 04-23-2017 08:55 PM
Random thoughts thread MrVito Off-Topic Lounge [WARNING: NO POLITICS] 37188 02-25-2016 11:00 AM
Random Rubber Part OoLong BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics 8 01-28-2014 11:31 AM
Crew Carshow : Part Deux 9/7/13 saiyajinimports Great Lakes 0 08-17-2013 06:18 AM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:50 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging v3.3.0 (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2021 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

Garage vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.