follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Old 12-21-2020, 10:56 PM   #2339
spcmafia

Drives: 2018 Subaru BRZ
Thanked 4,125 Times in 1,975 Posts
Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by soundman98 View Post
what will you be using it for? what are you switching from?

sure are some oddball choices in processors though.

Going to switch from PS4 to PC, so mostly gaming.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 12-22-2020, 01:00 AM   #2340
soundman98
ProCrastinationConsultant

Drives: '14 Ranger, '18 Tacoma 4Dr LB
Thanked 13,661 Times in 6,778 Posts
Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
like i had said earlier, the building part is the easiest part really-- if you've done any mods to your car where you had to do research to make sure 'x' works with 'y', this is identical to that. everything fits a standard, everything has it's place, and there's very few ways to mess it up. very rarely anything needs to be forced, so if force is needed, back off and re-evaluate if that part is supposed to go there. usually it doesn't.

the software part is really the most time consuming part of the whole thing.

i would stick with the normal i7/i9 stuff. i don't exactly understand his reasoning to get into the xeon series of processors-- they're a business-class processor:

https://www.gamingscan.com/intel-xeo...ming-worth-it/

the big focus of any gaming rig is going to be to get the absolute best graphics card speed, and most graphics memory you can justify. it's also important to have enough RAM to get the job done. 16gb is the minimum i would go with anymore, i do find it curious that he doesn't offer more out of the gate in any of those packages.

rgb is nice flair if you're into that sort of thing, but it's like underglow on a car. just adds expense to something that really does nothing.

in terms of hard drives, absolutely get an ssd, an m.2 if possible for a boot drive, with a 1TB minimum storage drive for game files. i personally stay away from any ssd over 500gb. hard drives are like house space. the more you have, the easier it is to fill. i prefer to keep my ssd's intentionally small because the first focus of installing an ssd is to make the OS boot and respond fast, so i prefer to keep them under 500gb so i'm not inclined to even accidentally install game files on them.

i've got no experience with evga motherboards, but the experiences with gigabyte motherboards have been less than stellar over the years. evga and zotac seem to be similar to me, where their motherboards seem to play 2nd fiddle to their graphics card side of things.

i generally stick with asus or msi for motherboards.. maybe more of a personal preference though.

in terms of the power supply, stick with a name brand--corsair, evga, cooler master, thermaltake, antec, and rosewill are the only one's i really consider. the other brands sometimes have issues. and i always get the modular versions--it cuts down significantly on unused cable bundles in the build.
spcmafia (12-22-2020), Spuds (12-22-2020)
Old 12-22-2020, 02:05 AM   #2341
Spuds
The Dictater

Drives: '13 Red Scion FRS
Thanked 12,389 Times in 6,120 Posts
Mentioned: 85 Post(s)
Agree with all that ^

It seems like you were being steered towards a large scale business-oriented build with a budget graphics card rather than a gaming pc.

What kinds of games would you like to play? That affects some priorities in the build imo.

I typically start with a CPU architecture, then find a (typically MSI) motherboard that supports it with features I want. Then the RAM (because the type needs to be supported by CPU/mobo). Pick out some storage and a graphics card (most everything works together here). Then a power supply with enough throughout to run the whole thing (and a bit extra because a bit of overhead is good) and a case that it all fits in. Finally buy yourself a copy of Windows and make software work. Which can be finicky if you've never installed an OS from scratch.
Spuds is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Spuds For This Useful Post:
soundman98 (12-22-2020), spcmafia (12-22-2020)
Old 12-22-2020, 07:26 AM   #2342
spcmafia

Quote:
like i had said earlier, the building part is the easiest part really-- if you've done any mods to your car where you had to do research to make sure 'x' works with 'y', this is identical to that. everything fits a standard, everything has it's place, and there's very few ways to mess it up. very rarely anything needs to be forced, so if force is needed, back off and re-evaluate if that part is supposed to go there. usually it doesn't.

the software part is really the most time consuming part of the whole thing.

i would stick with the normal i7/i9 stuff. i don't exactly understand his reasoning to get into the xeon series of processors-- they're a business-class processor:

https://www.gamingscan.com/intel-xeo...ming-worth-it/

the big focus of any gaming rig is going to be to get the absolute best graphics card speed, and most graphics memory you can justify. it's also important to have enough RAM to get the job done. 16gb is the minimum i would go with anymore, i do find it curious that he doesn't offer more out of the gate in any of those packages.

rgb is nice flair if you're into that sort of thing, but it's like underglow on a car. just adds expense to something that really does nothing.

in terms of hard drives, absolutely get an ssd, an m.2 if possible for a boot drive, with a 1TB minimum storage drive for game files. i personally stay away from any ssd over 500gb. hard drives are like house space. the more you have, the easier it is to fill. i prefer to keep my ssd's intentionally small because the first focus of installing an ssd is to make the OS boot and respond fast, so i prefer to keep them under 500gb so i'm not inclined to even accidentally install game files on them.

i've got no experience with evga motherboards, but the experiences with gigabyte motherboards have been less than stellar over the years. evga and zotac seem to be similar to me, where their motherboards seem to play 2nd fiddle to their graphics card side of things.

i generally stick with asus or msi for motherboards.. maybe more of a personal preference though.

in terms of the power supply, stick with a name brand--corsair, evga, cooler master, thermaltake, antec, and rosewill are the only one's i really consider. the other brands sometimes have issues. and i always get the modular versions--it cuts down significantly on unused cable bundles in the build.

That is really good info. I kept seeing his posts on our work forums so I wanted to get someone's opinion on the matter. I would still like to build it myself because why not, learn a thing or two in the process. I'll probably inquire for build tips from here.
Old 12-22-2020, 07:28 AM   #2343
Dadhawk
1st86 Driver!

Drives: '13 FR-S (#3 of 1st 86)
Thanked 24,897 Times in 11,357 Posts
Mentioned: 181 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
@spcmafia I'm going to agree with @Spuds and @soundman98 here, those are some odd configurations for a gaming rig, particularly the Xeon processors. No game is going to have any optimization done around the Xeon, which is primarily a server and high end business workstation CPU. It usually has a price premium associated with it as well.

In the end, unless you plan on playing older games, or are OK running them at lower specs you are going to spend $400 to $600 just on the video card alone.

Nothing wrong with doing that, just be aware of it. You aren't going to be overly enthralled with any games released in the last 1 to 3 years played on these specs I don't believe.

Visit my Owner's Journal where I wax philosophic on all things FR-S
Post your 86 or see others in front of a(n) (in)famous landmark.
What fits in your 86? Show us the "Junk In Your Trunk".
Dadhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Dadhawk For This Useful Post:
spcmafia (12-22-2020)
Old 12-22-2020, 07:31 AM   #2344
spcmafia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spuds View Post
Agree with all that ^

It seems like you were being steered towards a large scale business-oriented build with a budget graphics card rather than a gaming pc.

What kinds of games would you like to play? That affects some priorities in the build imo.

I typically start with a CPU architecture, then find a (typically MSI) motherboard that supports it with features I want. Then the RAM (because the type needs to be supported by CPU/mobo). Pick out some storage and a graphics card (most everything works together here). Then a power supply with enough throughout to run the whole thing (and a bit extra because a bit of overhead is good) and a case that it all fits in. Finally buy yourself a copy of Windows and make software work. Which can be finicky if you've never installed an OS from scratch.

I like MMORPGS, RPGS. FPS, and racing. More than anything, I'm waiting for the new Elder Scrolls. I used to play it on my old computer and it was way better than my PS3, of course, it was a laptop (I was in Army school for 13 weeks) so there were some drawbacks. Then I got it for the PS4. This is all pretty new to me and its one of those things that I always heard about but never ventured myself into, mostly because of budget, and most of my saved up money went into the BRZ.
Spuds (12-22-2020)
Old 12-22-2020, 07:38 AM   #2345
spcmafia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dadhawk View Post
@spcmafia I'm going to agree with @Spuds and @soundman98 here, those are some odd configurations for a gaming rig, particularly the Xeon processors. No game is going to have any optimization done around the Xeon, which is primarily a server and high end business workstation CPU. It usually has a price premium associated with it as well.

In the end, unless you plan on playing older games, or are OK running them at lower specs you are going to spend $400 to $600 just on the video card alone.

Nothing wrong with doing that, just be aware of it. You aren't going to be overly enthralled with any games released in the last 1 to 3 years played on these specs I don't believe.

Thanks for the info, I'm assuming that to keep those computers at an appealing price point some corners had to be cut and the motherboard was chosen. I'm leaning more and more towards just building one myself.
Dadhawk (12-22-2020)
Old 12-22-2020, 07:52 AM   #2346
Dadhawk
1st86 Driver!

Quote:
Originally Posted by spcmafia View Post
Thanks for the info, I'm assuming that to keep those computers at an appealing price point some corners had to be cut and the motherboard was chosen. I'm leaning more and more towards just building one myself.
It's a pretty simple process to build one. Lots of configurators online that let you build the computers and make sure all the parts fit. They are useful even if you don't buy the parts from that particular store.

I like the one at www.microcenter.com plus I have a local store I can go pick up the parts from once I put it together. Then I have an easy return path, and they do price matching.

Old 12-22-2020, 09:06 PM   #2347
soundman98

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dadhawk View Post
...In the end, unless you plan on playing older games, or are OK running them at lower specs you are going to spend $400 to $600 just on the video card alone.

i did this for quite some time because it seemed ridiculous to me to spend more on a single component than the entire rest of the build. i never wanted to spend more than $200 on the graphics card...

every single time i'd get a new game, i'd have to load it up, and then mess with the video quality settings for a while(sometimes up to an hour) to get it to a point where it was clear enough to see what was intended, and not choppy.

it was a pain. and it became even more unbearable the last few years after i'd get everything set as needed, the the game would update, and i'd have to start all over again tweaking video parameters to get smooth gameplay.

so i finally caved a couple years ago, i ended up with a gigabyte-branded nvidia gtx 1070 with 8gb of video memory. the simplicity of being able to turn on ANY game, and set it to 'ultra' video settings was worth every penny.

i started with a single monitor, but because of the capabilities of the card, i'm now running 3 screens(used ebay grade-b screens that were $20-30 each, but triple screens nonetheless). it doesn't work in every game, but the one's that it does, it's incredible to have that extra width.

now, that said, i just got forza horizon 4, and while everything did still default to the ultra settings, certain loading screens have some framerate drops now that i've never had with my other collection of games. so this card and it's video memory size/speed is starting to become a little dated with newer games. just something to consider when looking at cards, and the future of how you'll use the pc, and how software will become more demanding as time moves on.
Dadhawk (12-23-2020), Spuds (12-23-2020)
Old 12-23-2020, 07:52 AM   #2348
Dadhawk
1st86 Driver!

Quote:
i did this for quite some time because it seemed ridiculous to me to spend more on a single component than the entire rest of the build. i never wanted to spend more than $200 on the graphics card....
Yea, I walk this line as well. I usually end up buying a card one down from the "top dog" because I'm still running games at 1920x1080 or occasionally at 5760x1080. (the same 3 monitor setup you mention but I use matched 27" monitors).

Within the next year I plan on upgrading my monitors. I've considered replacing my 3 monitors with a single 49" gaming monitor (like a Dell U4919DW or Samsung CRG9) as these are the equivalent height to a 27" and can function as two separate screens. They aren't 4K at 5120x1440 (4K would be 7680x4,320) but it's better than I have now and would get rid of the bezels. I'd miss the 3rd space, but I suppose I could keep one of my existing monitors for that. for the most part though 2 27" equivalents is good for 95% of what I do at home.

In my office I have 4 monitors, two 27" that are my primary work monitors, the monitor of my Surface Book used to display my calendar and pop-alerts, and a 55" monitor on the wall I use for meetings, displaying alert maps, and the occasional news/weather streaming if there is something pertinent going on.

The Following User Says Thank You to Dadhawk For This Useful Post:
soundman98 (12-23-2020)
Old 12-23-2020, 09:21 PM   #2349
weederr33
Airborne at your service

Drives: '17 BRZ Series.Yellow
Thanked 5,557 Times in 2,916 Posts
Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Update, computer is up and running smoothly! Had a few hiccups upon first boot, but got them solved within an hour. Considering I've never built a PC before, nor know anything about the technical aspects, this was a very easy endeavor. Alas, I found a new chassis which I fell in love with. I only discovered it after I got everything put together lol. So I went ahead and bought the Phanteks Evolv Shift 2!

MS, CSCS, TSAC-F, CPT
weederr33 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to weederr33 For This Useful Post:
Dadhawk (12-23-2020), soundman98 (12-23-2020), Spuds (12-23-2020)
Old 12-23-2020, 09:38 PM   #2350
Dadhawk
1st86 Driver!

Quote:
Originally Posted by weederr33 View Post
Update, computer is up and running smoothly! Had a few hiccups upon first boot, but got them solved within an hour. Considering I've never built a PC before, nor know anything about the technical aspects, this was a very easy endeavor. Alas, I found a new chassis which I fell in love with. I only discovered it after I got everything put together lol. So I went ahead and bought the Phanteks Evolv Shift 2!
Congrats and welcome to the Master Race.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dadhawk For This Useful Post:
soundman98 (12-23-2020), weederr33 (12-23-2020)
Old 12-26-2020, 09:06 AM   #2351
weederr33
Airborne at your service

Drives: '17 BRZ Series.Yellow
Thanked 5,557 Times in 2,916 Posts
Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
So, a few things I discovered (luckily before I received my new case): 1, the case I ordered comes with a PCI-E Gen 3 riser, but the Mobo and GPU are Gen 4. So I'll need to let my BIOS know this (until I can find a Gen 4 PCI-E riser). 2. Thermals with the tempered glass model are less than ideal lol. So I am ditching the Noctua fan for an AIO to help manage heat. Lastly, because my GPU runs hot -- sound familiar? -- I'm going to leave the panel on that side off till I can order a mesh panel from Phanteks. All-in-All, this has been eye opening that SFF builds are costly, challenging, and yet oddly rewarding.

MS, CSCS, TSAC-F, CPT
weederr33 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to weederr33 For This Useful Post:
Dadhawk (12-26-2020), soundman98 (12-26-2020), Spuds (12-26-2020), x808drifter (12-26-2020)
Old 12-26-2020, 11:40 AM   #2352
soundman98

Quote:
Originally Posted by weederr33 View Post
So, a few things I discovered (luckily before I received my new case): 1, the case I ordered comes with a PCI-E Gen 3 riser, but the Mobo and GPU are Gen 4. So I'll need to let my BIOS know this (until I can find a Gen 4 PCI-E riser). 2. Thermals with the tempered glass model are less than ideal lol. So I am ditching the Noctua fan for an AIO to help manage heat. Lastly, because my GPU runs hot -- sound familiar? -- I'm going to leave the panel on that side off till I can order a mesh panel from Phanteks. All-in-All, this has been eye opening that SFF builds are costly, challenging, and yet oddly rewarding.
it at least brings some reality to the cost, specifications, and reliability that's built into the latest-greatest xbox or playstation model when one has to do it all on their own without the benefit of quantity scaling or recurring revenue from games.
weederr33 (12-26-2020)

Tags
pc master race, u no have 3080