follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics

BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics All discussions about the first-gen Subaru BRZ coupe

User Tag List

Old 06-28-2016, 03:30 PM   #127
MJones_RB

Drives: Scion FR-S Series 10 #2462
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
"The BRZ has evolved again, with revised valves, camshafts and cylinder blocks."

So I Google FA20:

"The FA20D features both direct and port injection (Toyota's D-4S injection system) and Subaru AVCS variable valve timing system. It is used in the Subaru BRZ, and is identified by a Toyota engine family code known as the 4U-GSE, which is installed in the Toyota 86 and the Scion FR-S.[7] According to Subaru, 0W-20 oil is recommended."

and under that:

"FA20F: A version with Subaru's own direct fuel injection and twin-scroll turbocharger was introduced in 2012.

Displacement: 1,998 cc
Bore: 86 mm
Stroke: 86 mm
Compression Ratio: 10.6:1"

So the 86 uses Toyota's DFI system, even in the BRZ, but the F model uses Subaru's DFI system, and it's supercharged? Is it basically the same engine? Curious how this affected the new 86 version.
MJones_RB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2016, 03:31 PM   #128
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,283 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2495 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deadrik View Post
That's my problem, i tend to over think everything. I go from looking at used to save money, to convincing myself that New is preferable due to warranty or any other crazy reason.

Also, if i'm not going BRZ, that Hot Lava FR-S here i come!
I long ago gave up on used but there certainly are beneifits. Team Lave is looking for some replacements!

Quote:
I was thinking that it might be best to wait until the 2nd gen is released, however who knows when that might be.
If ever. (Ignore all speculation and prophesies on a "next gen" or you may wait for no reason.
Old 06-28-2016, 03:32 PM   #129
Freude am Fahren

Drives: '13 DGM BRZ Limited/'14 Yamaha R6
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Lange View Post
One of the interesting things is that there seem to be multiple things in the document stating that the SACHS suspension and Brembo brakes will be Japan-only.

Hopefully not.

Jeff
I think that's just how they are offered. I think in Japan, there will be an actual trim level that comes with them, while else where, it will be considered a separate package. Just a guess.

-XXR 527 18x8.75 +35
-Nameless 2.5" OP/FP Combo (Coming soon) & Axleback
-SBD 500X (Waiting on coating to install)
-Southbend SBD500X Clutch
Freude am Fahren is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Freude am Fahren For This Useful Post:
krayzie (06-28-2016)
Old 06-28-2016, 03:37 PM   #130
funwheeldrive

Drives: BANNED FOR TELLING THE TRUTH
Thanked 3,022 Times in 1,409 Posts
Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
That's my problem, i tend to over think everything. I go from looking at used to save money, to convincing myself that New is preferable due to warranty or any other crazy reason.

Also, if i'm not going BRZ, that Hot Lava FR-S here i come!
Do you plan on heavily modding your car, or are you mostly going to keep it stock for a while?
funwheeldrive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2016, 03:38 PM   #131
Stang70Fastback
A.K.A. Starlord

Drives: 2015 Series.Blue
Thanked 2,099 Times in 834 Posts
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guff View Post
If it's a larger pump though, that still remains to be seen.
The new pump is physically identical in size to the old one. There are images of them in the PDF.
Stang70Fastback is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Stang70Fastback For This Useful Post:
Guff (06-28-2016), Tcoat (06-28-2016)
Old 06-28-2016, 03:44 PM   #132
Guff
Now w/ over 400 womprats!

Drives: BRZ LZR
Thanked 3,420 Times in 1,424 Posts
Mentioned: 301 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stang70Fastback View Post
The new pump is physically identical in size to the old one. There are images of them in the PDF.
Guff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2016, 03:45 PM   #133
Deadrik

Drives: 02 Mustang, Hopeful BRZ soon
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by funwheeldrive View Post
Do you plan on heavily modding your car, or are you mostly going to keep it stock for a while?
Performance wise, i would keep it mostly stock. It would become my DD + toy, and would need a damn good reason to convince myself to mod.
Deadrik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2016, 03:48 PM   #134
Deadrik

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
I long ago gave up on used but there certainly are beneifits. Team Lave is looking for some replacements!

If ever. (Ignore all speculation and prophesies on a "next gen" or you may wait for no reason.
I got a large amount of people thats close to me telling me not to bother with new.

The first scratch, the first dink. I live in Brooklyn, my current mustang got sideswiped on two separate occasions (only cosmetic damage) and coincidently on each side

Also, i have been dying to get the Hot Lava, i wish it was on the BRZ.
The Following User Says Thank You to Deadrik For This Useful Post:
Tcoat (06-28-2016)
Old 06-28-2016, 03:51 PM   #135
raven1231

Drives: 2013 Firestorm FR-S, 2016 DGM WRX
Thanked 3,118 Times in 1,667 Posts
Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quote:
Performance wise, i would keep it mostly stock. It would become my DD + toy, and would need a damn good reason to convince myself to mod.
As mentioned above if you plan to mod it then there is no reason to buy new, at least in regard to warranty. If you plan to keep it stock I would likely buy new just for the changes but that's just personal preference. These cars have shown that they are pretty damn reliable even used.
raven1231 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2016, 03:51 PM   #136
Stang70Fastback
A.K.A. Starlord

Drives: 2015 Series.Blue
Thanked 2,099 Times in 834 Posts
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quote:
I got a large amount of people thats close to me telling me not to bother with new.

The first scratch, the first dink. I live in Brooklyn, my current mustang got sideswiped on two separate occasions (only cosmetic damage) and coincidently on each side
I don't consider that alone as an excuse to not buy a new car. I live in Chicago. I bought a brand new Series.Blue. I'm as OCD as it gets. What has happened so far?

Well, a car hit a piece of debris on the highway that shot into my door and put a 4" gash in the paint. Was I upset? Yes. Went through insurance, and got it fixed at a reputable shop, and now you can't even tell. A few months later an idiot lady opened her door into my car putting a huge vertical dent in the door. I waited until she came back out and got her info, and got that fixed (PDR) and now you can't even tell. I'm approaching 2 years of ownership now, and other than some rock chips, the only cosmetic damage to the car is a scuff on the left corner of the rear bumper, presumably from some incompetent fool who couldn't park. I thought it would annoy me, but it doesn't, really. Would I like to get it fixed? Sure. But the car still looks great.

Having said that, all of the other benefits that come with owning a new car still apply. Just because your first dent will suck (that first incident was painful) doesn't mean it might still not be worth it to you. Having said that, my car is also garaged when I'm not using it, so...
Stang70Fastback is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Stang70Fastback For This Useful Post:
funwheeldrive (06-28-2016)
Old 06-28-2016, 03:58 PM   #137
Deadrik

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stang70Fastback View Post
I don't consider that alone as an excuse to not buy a new car. I live in Chicago. I bought a brand new Series.Blue. I'm as OCD as it gets. What has happened so far?

Well, a car hit a piece of debris on the highway that shot into my door and put a 4" gash in the paint. Was I upset? Yes. Went through insurance, and got it fixed at a reputable shop, and now you can't even tell. A few months later an idiot lady opened her door into my car putting a huge vertical dent in the door. I waited until she came back out and got her info, and got that fixed (PDR) and now you can't even tell. I'm approaching 2 years of ownership now, and other than some rock chips, the only cosmetic damage to the car is a scuff on the left corner of the rear bumper, presumably from some incompetent fool who couldn't park. I thought it would annoy me, but it doesn't, really. Would I like to get it fixed? Sure. But the car still looks great.

Having said that, all of the other benefits that come with owning a new car still apply. Just because your first dent will suck (that first incident was painful) doesn't mean it might still not be worth it to you. Having said that, my car is also garaged when I'm not using it, so...
Well your point of view is mine when respond to that. Same when it comes to RWD in winter, i hear the same thing every time.

Still have a lot to think about, and have some time before the '17 orders can go in. Thanks!

(Once i hit my 10 posts, i can start my thanking!)
The Following User Says Thank You to Deadrik For This Useful Post:
Tcoat (06-28-2016)
Old 06-28-2016, 04:01 PM   #138
Deadrik

Thanks everyone for the input, however i think i might be derailing the thread just a bit!
Old 06-28-2016, 04:01 PM   #139
raven1231

Drives: 2013 Firestorm FR-S, 2016 DGM WRX
Thanked 3,118 Times in 1,667 Posts
Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJones_RB View Post
"The BRZ has evolved again, with revised valves, camshafts and cylinder blocks."

So I Google FA20:

"The FA20D features both direct and port injection (Toyota's D-4S injection system) and Subaru AVCS variable valve timing system. It is used in the Subaru BRZ, and is identified by a Toyota engine family code known as the 4U-GSE, which is installed in the Toyota 86 and the Scion FR-S.[7] According to Subaru, 0W-20 oil is recommended."

and under that:

"FA20F: A version with Subaru's own direct fuel injection and twin-scroll turbocharger was introduced in 2012.

Displacement: 1,998 cc
Bore: 86 mm
Stroke: 86 mm
Compression Ratio: 10.6:1"

So the 86 uses Toyota's DFI system, even in the BRZ, but the F model uses Subaru's DFI system, and it's supercharged? Is it basically the same engine? Curious how this affected the new 86 version.
They are taking about the WRX engine above? I'm confused where you're getting the supercharged part.
raven1231 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to raven1231 For This Useful Post:
MJones_RB (06-28-2016)
Old 06-28-2016, 04:17 PM   #140
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,283 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2495 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
Thanks everyone for the input, however i think i might be derailing the thread just a bit!
After you have been here a while you will know you can never truly derail a thread here. They branch off but almost always end up straight again!