follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum

Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum The place to start for the Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 | GT86

User Tag List

Old 06-11-2021, 05:57 PM   #29
NoHaveMSG

Drives: Crapcan
Thanked 16,327 Times in 7,384 Posts
Mentioned: 107 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spuds View Post
I found V4 to work better out of the box than v2.
Strange. I had a lot of issues when I tried to copy the tables I was using based on 2.07 over to V4 and had all kinds of issues with the way the car ran. Flashed an untampered with V4 tune over and it was worse Ended up reverting back to my 2.07 file.
Old 06-11-2021, 06:06 PM   #30
Spuds
The Dictater

Drives: '13 Red Scion FRS
Thanked 12,434 Times in 6,149 Posts
Mentioned: 85 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamza View Post
okay so the intake I have is this

https://www.knfilters.com/cold-air-i...0l-h4-gas/2013

I'd really appreciate if someone could help find the right MAF value I'm supposed to look for, and where in the OFT you would change it. Very new to this, the software section in the forums is seeming too complicated and can't find a finished thread on this

Also yup just installed catless headers a couple days ago

Edit: Just wanted to clarify I bought the cai used just for the sound, I know it doesn't make any power difference but I really like the grrrrrrr sound it makes
Steps to find MAF scaling thread:
1. Google
2. "ft86 maf scaling"
3. First link.

https://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=64790

Read and reread the first post until you know what parts apply to your situation and what you need to do. Doing this right takes a bit of effort to learn what is going on and how to set up your tools first, then you can actually start changing things safely.
Alternatively you can pay someone to set it up for you, or revert back to stock intake.
Spuds is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Spuds For This Useful Post:
Hamza (06-12-2021)
Old 06-11-2021, 06:10 PM   #31
Spuds
The Dictater

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoHaveMSG View Post
Strange. I had a lot of issues when I tried to copy the tables I was using based on 2.07 over to V4 and had all kinds of issues with the way the car ran. Flashed an untampered with V4 tune over and it was worse Ended up reverting back to my 2.07 file.
I just started with basic V4, and redid everything from scratch. Might be easier for me because I don't have physical power upgrades?
Old 06-11-2021, 06:59 PM   #32
Sur

Drives: GEN-1-86-MT-FI / 2022 KTM RC 390
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
So if I have headers and exhaust, I’m safe to use the stage 1 already loaded on my OFT? And am I safe to download a set off the OFT website that is specially for my vehical 2013 FRS 6spdMT?
Does anyone have a link to one that is safe to use? There are so many on the website I don’t know where to start
I’m not really into the pop pop bs tune that the previous owner has installed
Sur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2021, 07:03 PM   #33
gen3v8
Barred

Drives: My18 wrxsti My19 brzts
Thanked 1,187 Times in 610 Posts
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
101% Learn how to MAF scale. It actually is easy, like most things, once you have done it a few times. Just start with copies so you can fall back to the original if you stuff it up.
Hamza (06-12-2021), Spuds (06-12-2021)
Old 06-11-2021, 07:57 PM   #34
Sur

Is there a tutorial I can watch or read for the maf scaling

And can I change my current tune to a new one without reverting back to the original tune or do I have to revert to my original tune from my current in order to install a new tune?

Sorry I know I have lots of questions but I get like this when I want to learn something inside and out
The Following User Says Thank You to Sur For This Useful Post:
Hamza (06-12-2021)
Old 06-11-2021, 08:53 PM   #35
gen3v8
Barred

Drives: My18 wrxsti My19 brzts
Thanked 1,187 Times in 610 Posts
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sur View Post
Is there a tutorial I can watch or read for the maf scaling

And can I change my current tune to a new one without reverting back to the original tune or do I have to revert to my original tune from my current in order to install a new tune?

Sorry I know I have lots of questions but I get like this when I want to learn something inside and out
Yes you can install any tune one at a time in any order. When I said original I do not mean the oem original. I meant A copy of the tune you are going to modify so if all else fails you still have the untouched Stage1 or2 as a backup.

There is information on here that will get you headed towards maf scaling in the software tuning section. I don`t remember where because it was a long read, a long learn and a long time. Ballpark figure would be a working week of time(for me anyways). So read guides follow links and watch youtube associated vids and practice with Open Flash manager, RomRaider https://github.com/RomRaider/RomRaid...20-windows.zip and (Maf Scaler) Nice)https://github.com/vimsh/mafscaling/...ags/v2.7.0.zip

Last edited by gen3v8; 06-11-2021 at 09:11 PM.
gen3v8 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to gen3v8 For This Useful Post:
Sur (06-12-2021)
Old 06-11-2021, 09:59 PM   #36
Sur

What is romraider for? And do I need it? And I assum maf scaler if for the MAF. But I don’t need anything besides OFT the install standard tunes right?
Old 06-12-2021, 04:49 AM   #37
Hamza

Drives: Widebody 86/F56 Mini Cooper S
Quote:
What is romraider for? And do I need it? And I assum maf scaler if for the MAF. But I don’t need anything besides OFT the install standard tunes right?
If you have the stock intake you don't have to worry about MAF values and just download the tune files from the openflash website from your account and flash the car. If your car doesn't have aftermarket headers you can go to stage 1.

The issues I'm having is that I don't wanna revert my intake back to stock just because of the sound and would rather try and learn this maf stuff
Hamza is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Hamza For This Useful Post:
Spuds (06-12-2021)
Old 06-12-2021, 12:01 PM   #38
PetrolioBenzina

Drives: 17 86
Thanked 1,133 Times in 647 Posts
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quote:
RomRaider is for editing ROM's. You don't need it to use "off the shelf" tunes, all you need is the OFT.

Another great source of ROMS is WayneROMS, but those are not free. However, getting his ROM's is a much easier process than getting them from the OFT site.

You have the Open Flash Manager for getting ROM's on to the OFT, correct? The DL link is at the bottom of the page.

After installing, I have found that it's better to disable your internet connection before starting the manager, or else you get a very long startup/upgrade process. Also, try to use a USB 2 port rather than 3. I had nothing but trouble with USB 3.
PetrolioBenzina is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PetrolioBenzina For This Useful Post:
Spuds (06-12-2021), Sur (06-12-2021)
Old 06-12-2021, 12:16 PM   #39
PetrolioBenzina

Drives: 17 86
Thanked 1,133 Times in 647 Posts
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by gen3v8 View Post
On a second note if something goes wrong when installing the tune your ecu is toast! Not that it will happen but the more you change them the more complacent you become and the greater the chance.
I'm assuming you mean editing the ROM with ROMRaider and complacency. I have dozens of flashes, trouble-free, and there must be a few people like Wayne or Steve in to the hundreds. An OFT brick is rare. The trouble is wrong tunes, or as you say, making an error in editing the ROM.
PetrolioBenzina is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to PetrolioBenzina For This Useful Post:
Sur (06-12-2021)
Old 06-12-2021, 01:33 PM   #40
Sur

As it is now, I have no desire to edit any tune or whatnot. I will stick with OTS OFT tune and keep researching until I am comfortable enough to tinker. I need to upgrade some things before I do too much to push the motor more than it was designed.

I have unequal length Tomei or groups-s headers, and they are catless I’m almost positive. Smells like it. With a non stock exhaust. So from my understanding I should be using strage 2+… please correct me if I am wrong.
The Following User Says Thank You to Sur For This Useful Post:
Spuds (06-12-2021)
Old 06-12-2021, 04:00 PM   #41
Spuds
The Dictater

Quote:
As it is now, I have no desire to edit any tune or whatnot. I will stick with OTS OFT tune and keep researching until I am comfortable enough to tinker. I need to upgrade some things before I do too much to push the motor more than it was designed.

I have unequal length Tomei or groups-s headers, and they are catless I’m almost positive. Smells like it. With a non stock exhaust. So from my understanding I should be using strage 2+… please correct me if I am wrong.
Yes, stage 2+ should be the correct tune for catless headers. I think stage 2+ is optimized for the openflash header which is also UEL so it should work pretty well out of the box. If you wanted to get the absolute maximum power out of the tune, you would need to edit the valve timing to match the headers, but it is not necessary.
The Following User Says Thank You to Spuds For This Useful Post:
Sur (06-12-2021)
Old 06-12-2021, 04:17 PM   #42
Sur

Thank you for your input.