follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum

Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum The place to start for the Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 | GT86

User Tag List

Old 06-07-2012, 01:39 AM   #15
YukiHachiRoku
Lex Luger

Drives: 2004 GS430
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bestwheelbase View Post
I know this was directed @YukiHachiRoku but I just wanted to make a quick note: engine braking (closed throttle deceleration) creates exactly the vacuum condition that helps seat piston rings. Mountain driving can be a great place to do this. It's easy to avoid steady state throttle and load conditions, there are plenty of opportunities to pull good vacuum, and you get to have fun in the process. This is definitely a good way to break-in an engine!
yes, I feel the load on uphill and downhill too, both are good.

(feels good in 6th gear coming down the continental divide using it as an engine break, to break in as well!)
YukiHachiRoku is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to YukiHachiRoku For This Useful Post:
bestwheelbase (06-07-2012)
Old 06-07-2012, 01:41 AM   #16
dietz

Drives: Raven / 6MT FR-S
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Thanks for the advice, I'll save aspen for when I can take my gf. I haven't been on the whole loop, only 550 up to Montrose. But now I'm really excited, that road is fun even when slow...some turns are like 10 MPH anyway. If you are looking for a good place to stay near there, the hometown hostel in Durango is pretty decent. New and clean, and only 25 bucks.
dietz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dietz For This Useful Post:
bestwheelbase (06-07-2012), YukiHachiRoku (06-07-2012)
Old 06-08-2012, 01:02 AM   #17
00NissanNinja
The Thread Lurker

Drives: '14 BRZ, '17 GTI, MT09
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by YukiHachiRoku View Post
Yeah, it happens, sometimes you have to take what you want. I sold cars for many years in the early 2000's, and got grilled on survey's. The point is we are a different breed. I got offered a job while I was buying this car, and despite nobody knowing anything about the car from sale to delivery does not shock me. I'm just happy they listen'ed to my request of no holes drilled in my front fascia.

I gave them all top ratings on my phone call (which I got totally slammed on during my few years as a salesman, I feel them, when you have to eat or die, it comes to a crunch, and it is hard...... I will leave it alone at that... I gave 5 stars on everything for karma, but it wasn't so oh well, I'll leave the better man this time!
I went there today and they had a raven fr-s sitting outside. Finally got to see the car and hear the engine. This car has one of the best sounding four cylinders I've heard stock. You are right about the salesmen and women there. Not only did I have to make someone come out they really didn't know what they were talking about sometimes. They have some manuals coming in that aren't claimed yet. I want to get a BRZ next year but I also want to take advantage of that college grad discount (and the have some new cars coming in which makes me want to just get one already).
00NissanNinja is offline   Reply With Quote