follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Tracking / Autocross / HPDE / Drifting

Tracking / Autocross / HPDE / Drifting What these cars were built for!


User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 09-17-2021, 11:17 AM   #29
ZDan
Senior Member
 
ZDan's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Drives: '17 BRZ PP
Location: Providence, RI
Posts: 3,703
Thanks: 826
Thanked 2,855 Times in 1,533 Posts
Mentioned: 65 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
For me, for my usage, option 1, by far.

The tuner's 275F limit is appropriately conservative, presumably assuming 0w20 weight oil. Personally I haven't seen anything to suggest that 275F should be a problem running good synthetic 30-weight.

FWIW I never encountered any factory oil temp cutoff running the same oil temps. I've read that there may be one around 300F?


Quote:
Originally Posted by FR-S2GT86 View Post
So in your situation, what do you think would be the better fix out of these two examples?

1) Increase the thermal safety limit so that the ECU can't limit the power output of the engine when the oil reaches the original temperature setpoint,

or

2) Install an oil cooler so that the oil temperature doesn't reach the original thermal limit in the first place.
ZDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2021, 11:55 AM   #30
Goingnowherefast
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2019
Drives: AP2 S2000, 91 Miata 1.8L Rotrex 5MT
Location: Detroit, MI
Posts: 425
Thanks: 230
Thanked 266 Times in 170 Posts
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZDan View Post
Personally I haven't seen anything to suggest that 275F should be a problem running good synthetic 30-weight.
But again, it's not the oil breaking down that's the danger here. It's the worry that the viscosity of the oil drops low enough that it's unable to provide adequate lubrication to the bearings. I'd recommend sending your oil out to Blackstone for analysis if you plan on not running and oil cooler.
__________________
2017 Subaru BRZ w/ PP - Delicious Tuning S2+ Flex Fuel/JDL 4-2-1/HKS Single/RCE Tarmac II's 9K/9K - (SCCA TT T4)
Goingnowherefast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2021, 12:23 PM   #31
FR-S2GT86
"I don't know."
 
FR-S2GT86's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2019
Drives: Was '15 FR-S, 6MT, Now '15 GT86
Location: West Virginia, USA
Posts: 1,117
Thanks: 155
Thanked 758 Times in 465 Posts
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZDan View Post
For me, for my usage, option 1, by far.

The tuner's 275F limit is appropriately conservative, presumably assuming 0w20 weight oil. Personally I haven't seen anything to suggest that 275F should be a problem running good synthetic 30-weight.

FWIW I never encountered any factory oil temp cutoff running the same oil temps. I've read that there may be one around 300F?

Just out of curiosity, did you verify with your tuner what the stock temperature limit is, whether it be 300 degrees like you've read somewhere, or some other value, and that he specifically lowered this limit in his tune?

If he indeed lowered the limit, then I agree with you that you should be fine in the short term. However, if you're regularly tracking your car, I agree with @Kelse92 in that for the overall life of your engine, you should still install an oil cooler. If I were in your shoes and in the same situation, I would.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.ac View Post
My pubes are shaped like the number 86. There for Iím car. Derp
Count to muffens and call again.
Iím 40. So....... say hi to your sisters or daughters.
FR-S2GT86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2021, 12:23 PM   #32
DarkSunrise
Senior Member
 
DarkSunrise's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Drives: 13 FR-S
Location: USA
Posts: 5,558
Thanks: 1,746
Thanked 3,935 Times in 2,087 Posts
Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZDan View Post
FWIW I never encountered any factory oil temp cutoff running the same oil temps. I've read that there may be one around 300F?
Just curious if anyone has actually seen the oil temp based compensation tables in their tunes. In romraider Ive seen and played around with the coolant and IAT based timing compensation tables with some success but Iíve never found any tables that pull timing based on oil temps.
__________________
Build Page
"I love this car. I think we wimped out when we didn't name it Best Driver's Car." -Randy Pobst on the BRZ
DarkSunrise is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2021, 12:24 PM   #33
ZDan
Senior Member
 
ZDan's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Drives: '17 BRZ PP
Location: Providence, RI
Posts: 3,703
Thanks: 826
Thanked 2,855 Times in 1,533 Posts
Mentioned: 65 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goingnowherefast View Post
But again, it's not the oil breaking down that's the danger here. It's the worry that the viscosity of the oil drops low enough that it's unable to provide adequate lubrication to the bearings. I'd recommend sending your oil out to Blackstone for analysis if you plan on not running and oil cooler.
You pick oil viscosity based on operating temps. At 275F, I think 30-weight is fine, at least for limited track usage. If I was track-only, I might go 40-weight. Probably HTHS more relevant anyway, 5w30 Redline is 3.7 HTHS.

I haven't sent oil out for analysis because I've seen reports of others who have. After typical HPDE-type track usage, "high" oil temps, with no oil cooler, the reports I've seen show little to no degradation of the oil, and normal amounts of wear metals.
ZDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2021, 12:55 PM   #34
ZDan
Senior Member
 
ZDan's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Drives: '17 BRZ PP
Location: Providence, RI
Posts: 3,703
Thanks: 826
Thanked 2,855 Times in 1,533 Posts
Mentioned: 65 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by FR-S2GT86 View Post
Just out of curiosity, did you verify with your tuner what the stock temperature limit is, whether it be 300 degrees like you've read somewhere, or some other value, and that he specifically lowered this limit in his tune?
No, and frankly I don't see any need to bother him about it. I know that my custom tune specifically commanded reduced throttle once ~275F was reached above some rpm limit. I wanted that feature removed, he instead bumped it to 285F, which is fine as I know it never continues upward from ~270-275F anyway and yeah, if it *does* start to go higher in retrospect I'd like the cutoff about there.

Quote:
If he indeed lowered the limit, then I agree with you that you should be fine in the short term. However, if you're regularly tracking your car, I agree with @Kelse92 in that for the overall life of your engine, you should still install an oil cooler. If I were in your shoes and in the same situation, I would.
I think that the risks of running 3.7 HTHS 5w30 synthetic at 275F for 15-20 minute track sessions are minimal. The risks of having an aftermarket cooler are non-zero and in fact we have seen *plenty* of reports of leaks (oil dropped on track = bad, also fire hazard!) and even engine failures. My oil temp reliably goes up to just over 270F indicated and it *stays* there. Data logging confirms this. Spending time, $$$$, effort while introducing multiple new possible points of failure for me, for my usage, makes zero sense.
ZDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2021, 01:29 PM   #35
FR-S2GT86
"I don't know."
 
FR-S2GT86's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2019
Drives: Was '15 FR-S, 6MT, Now '15 GT86
Location: West Virginia, USA
Posts: 1,117
Thanks: 155
Thanked 758 Times in 465 Posts
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZDan View Post
No, and frankly I don't see any need to bother him about it. I know that my custom tune specifically commanded reduced throttle once ~275F was reached above some rpm limit. I wanted that feature removed, he instead bumped it to 285F, which is fine as I know it never continues upward from ~270-275F anyway and yeah, if it *does* start to go higher in retrospect I'd like the cutoff about there.



I think that the risks of running 3.7 HTHS 5w30 synthetic at 275F for 15-20 minute track sessions are minimal. The risks of having an aftermarket cooler are non-zero and in fact we have seen *plenty* of reports of leaks (oil dropped on track = bad, also fire hazard!) and even engine failures. My oil temp reliably goes up to just over 270F indicated and it *stays* there. Data logging confirms this. Spending time, $$$$, effort while introducing multiple new possible points of failure for me, for my usage, makes zero sense.

Understood, good luck. And congratulations, I hope you keep kicking ass at the track.

If I were to start tracking my car after supercharging, I think I would try to introduce some additional cooling in the form of a distilled water mist directly into the intercooler/radiator/air conditioning condenser stack during mid to high RPMs. It wouldn't be too difficult to set up. I did notice that when I was installing my intercooler that the upper 1/3 of the radiator was very clean compared to the lower 2/3, as if air wasn't passing through it. Probably due to the design of the grille and the crash bar behind it. This might be a safer and inexpensive alternative that you could consider for those hot track days.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.ac View Post
My pubes are shaped like the number 86. There for Iím car. Derp
Count to muffens and call again.
Iím 40. So....... say hi to your sisters or daughters.
FR-S2GT86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2021, 02:05 PM   #36
Dzmitry
Senior Member
 
Dzmitry's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2019
Drives: 2018 Subaru BRZ Limited with PP
Location: Phildalphia, Pennsylvania
Posts: 725
Thanks: 1,357
Thanked 466 Times in 300 Posts
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goingnowherefast View Post
But again, it's not the oil breaking down that's the danger here. It's the worry that the viscosity of the oil drops low enough that it's unable to provide adequate lubrication to the bearings. I'd recommend sending your oil out to Blackstone for analysis if you plan on not running and oil cooler.
https://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=146810
Dzmitry is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Dzmitry For This Useful Post:
ZDan (09-17-2021)
Old 09-17-2021, 02:10 PM   #37
ZDan
Senior Member
 
ZDan's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Drives: '17 BRZ PP
Location: Providence, RI
Posts: 3,703
Thanks: 826
Thanked 2,855 Times in 1,533 Posts
Mentioned: 65 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by FR-S2GT86 View Post
Understood, good luck. And congratulations, I hope you keep kicking ass at the track.
Thanks! 2 points up going into last event which is at more of a Miata track, New Hampshire Motor Speedway (South Oval config).

Quote:
If I were to start tracking my car after supercharging, I think I would try to introduce some additional cooling in the form of a distilled water mist directly into the intercooler/radiator/air conditioning condenser stack during mid to high RPMs. It wouldn't be too difficult to set up.
My approach would be to see how it goes with the stock cooling. If oil and coolant temps remain in check, I wouldn't bother...

Quote:
I did notice that when I was installing my intercooler that the upper 1/3 of the radiator was very clean compared to the lower 2/3, as if air wasn't passing through it. Probably due to the design of the grille and the crash bar behind it. This might be a safer and inexpensive alternative that you could consider for those hot track days.
As I think about it, my *first* mod would be to vent the hood, which should improve cooling while reducing front lift. Hell maybe I should do that anyway, it's a zero-point mod with my club!
ZDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2021, 03:53 PM   #38
gcranston
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Drives: 2015 Subaru BRZ Limited DGM
Location: Boston MA
Posts: 311
Thanks: 24
Thanked 48 Times in 31 Posts
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Dan, I'm getting close to hood vents as well. Let's chat at NHMS.
gcranston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2021, 04:23 PM   #39
Goingnowherefast
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2019
Drives: AP2 S2000, 91 Miata 1.8L Rotrex 5MT
Location: Detroit, MI
Posts: 425
Thanks: 230
Thanked 266 Times in 170 Posts
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dzmitry View Post
That's not his car though lol. Every engine is different and the use case and climate is vastly different. I'm just saying it's pretty cheap insurance - like an oil cooler.
__________________
2017 Subaru BRZ w/ PP - Delicious Tuning S2+ Flex Fuel/JDL 4-2-1/HKS Single/RCE Tarmac II's 9K/9K - (SCCA TT T4)
Goingnowherefast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2021, 04:32 PM   #40
ZDan
Senior Member
 
ZDan's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Drives: '17 BRZ PP
Location: Providence, RI
Posts: 3,703
Thanks: 826
Thanked 2,855 Times in 1,533 Posts
Mentioned: 65 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by gcranston View Post
Dan, I'm getting close to hood vents as well. Let's chat at NHMS.


Do you have a sawzall?
ZDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2021, 09:15 PM   #41
Dzmitry
Senior Member
 
Dzmitry's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2019
Drives: 2018 Subaru BRZ Limited with PP
Location: Phildalphia, Pennsylvania
Posts: 725
Thanks: 1,357
Thanked 466 Times in 300 Posts
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goingnowherefast View Post
That's not his car though lol. Every engine is different and the use case and climate is vastly different. I'm just saying it's pretty cheap insurance - like an oil cooler.
Oh yes agreed. I thought you were just looking for general UOA info from this platform under high temps.
Dzmitry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2021, 07:47 AM   #42
ZDan
Senior Member
 
ZDan's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Drives: '17 BRZ PP
Location: Providence, RI
Posts: 3,703
Thanks: 826
Thanked 2,855 Times in 1,533 Posts
Mentioned: 65 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goingnowherefast View Post
That's not his car though lol. Every engine is different and the use case and climate is vastly different. I'm just saying it's pretty cheap insurance - like an oil cooler.
Oil analysis would tell me what's going on in my engine, which would be good info. I might do it but honestly I'm not that worried.

Adding an oil cooler when it isn't necessary is not "cheap insurance". You're adding some risks, but you're not ensuring you won't have issues. Engines (particularly '13s) have had oiling-related failures while running an oil cooler. The oiling-related problems FA20 engines have had seem to me to be more related to oil delivery rather than oil temperature.
ZDan is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Clutch pedal - "squishy/squeeky" sound? tanner Engine, Exhaust, Transmission 16 07-27-2017 02:59 PM
Running light "Tail" fuse in foot well keeps blowing **Fixed** paintdude258 Electronics | Audio | NAV | Infotainment 0 04-12-2017 03:59 PM
Who's tired of the "Pedal Dance" and wants to be in real control of their car? FT-86 SpeedFactory Tracking / Autocross / HPDE / Drifting 61 10-01-2015 07:44 PM
Just changed pads and fluid; brake pedal has more "dead space" ryoma Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing 11 05-13-2015 02:56 AM
Additional "pedal dance" testing. CSG Mike Tracking / Autocross / HPDE / Drifting 55 08-27-2013 03:02 AM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:48 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging v3.3.0 (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2021 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

Garage vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.