follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 2nd Gens: GR86 and BRZ > GR86 General Topics (2nd Gen 2022+ Toyota 86)

GR86 General Topics (2nd Gen 2022+ Toyota 86) General topics for the GR86 second-gen 86

User Tag List

Old 09-22-2022, 09:33 AM   #43
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,283 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2494 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by LRNAD90 View Post
I dunno, to me the Supra is more GT car, the 86 more sports car. Lightweight (relative to today's vehicles), rear drive, front engine, manual gearbox, and little if any frills (like sound insulation). Focused on the pleasure of driving, where as a GT car is a bit softer, and focused on long legged cruising..
What spoils it from the old-school definition is the back seat. No matter how useless it is it is still there. It is a coupe but not all coupes are sports cars.
Engine placement and drive wheels really never came into the definition before.
Old 09-22-2022, 09:40 AM   #44
dragoontwo

Drives: 22 BRZ limited
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
What spoils it from the old-school definition is the back seat. No matter how useless it is it is still there. It is a coupe but not all coupes are sports cars.
Engine placement and drive wheels really never came into the definition before.
While this is true, I feel that it is a close enough direct competitor to the Miata.

It should be granted a waiver to be called a sports car.
dragoontwo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to dragoontwo For This Useful Post:
Tcoat (09-22-2022)
Old 09-22-2022, 09:46 AM   #45
Tcoat

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragoontwo View Post
While this is true, I feel that it is a close enough direct competitor to the Miata.

It should be granted a waiver to be called a sports car.
And that is how definitions get diluted!

By modern standards it is a "sports car" there is no disputing that.

I personally will never see it as such though.

Dadhawk (09-22-2022), WolfpackS2k (10-05-2022), x808drifter (09-23-2022)
Old 09-22-2022, 10:27 AM   #46
Sasquachulator
Pavement Grey

Drives: 2020 Toyota 86 GT, 2017 BMW X1
Thanked 2,220 Times in 1,203 Posts
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by LRNAD90 View Post
I dunno, to me the Supra is more GT car, the 86 more sports car. Lightweight (relative to today's vehicles), rear drive, front engine, manual gearbox, and little if any frills (like sound insulation). Focused on the pleasure of driving, where as a GT car is a bit softer, and focused on long legged cruising..
I think its just more to do with how they're built...

The Supra is built with luxury car standards (Since BMW), the 86 is built with economy car standards (Subaru/Toyota)....

Doesnt make any of them any less "sports car" than each other. They were built to a price point and the quality of the cars represents that.
Sasquachulator is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sasquachulator For This Useful Post:
NoHaveMSG (09-22-2022), Tcoat (09-22-2022)
Old 09-22-2022, 11:33 AM   #47
Tcoat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sasquachulator View Post
I think its just more to do with how they're built...

The Supra is built with luxury car standards (Since BMW), the 86 is built with economy car standards (Subaru/Toyota)....

Doesnt make any of them any less "sports car" than each other. They were built to a price point and the quality of the cars represents that.
This ^
The categories are based more on the attributes of each "type" of car than their quality.

The one definition I will fight to the bitter end is when people say "well it is used in motor sports so it is a sports car". NO that does not make it a sports car just a car used in sports.

Camry is not a sports car even though they are used in NASCAR.

This is most certainly not a sports car
chaoskaze (10-08-2022)
Old 09-22-2022, 11:58 AM   #48
Rustyoid

Drives: 2022 GR86
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
The supra has "GT" amenities but in my opinion it definitely is not one. It is not comfortable, or easy to drive casually. I would take the 86 in every situation beside an actual race track. I found the weight of the engine is extremely noticeable at regular speeds. It does have less body roll than the GR86, it is also a lot stiffer and "slammy" on imperfect roads. Whereas the GR managed to be stiffer than the 1st gen, but also much more comfortable. The Supra was built to look straight ahead and drive as fast as possible. Visibility is just garbage besides anything ahead of you. It is a very fast and aggressive engine/trans combination that you just can't drive casually. Unless you like putting around, shifting thru 8 gears at 2000rpm as soon as you feel the boost come on. You can't casually rev it out.

When someone asks if the GR is a supra, or what GR is, the simple way i explain it is the GR Supra is the race car, 86 the drift car and the hatches the rally cars.
Rustyoid is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Rustyoid For This Useful Post:
chaoskaze (10-08-2022), Sport-Tech (09-22-2022)
Old 09-22-2022, 12:26 PM   #49
Dadhawk
1st86 Driver!

Drives: '13 FR-S (#3 of 1st 86)
Thanked 24,907 Times in 11,362 Posts
Mentioned: 181 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
Camry is not a sports car even though they are used in NASCAR.
Well, they use the name anyway. I'm not sure you can say they actually use a Camry.

Visit my Owner's Journal where I wax philosophic on all things FR-S
Post your 86 or see others in front of a(n) (in)famous landmark.
What fits in your 86? Show us the "Junk In Your Trunk".
Dadhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dadhawk For This Useful Post:
Tcoat (09-22-2022), WolfpackS2k (10-05-2022)
Old 09-22-2022, 12:29 PM   #50
NoHaveMSG

Drives: Crapcan
Thanked 16,254 Times in 7,347 Posts
Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustyoid View Post
The supra has "GT" amenities but in my opinion it definitely is not one. It is not comfortable, or easy to drive casually. I would take the 86 in every situation beside an actual race track. I found the weight of the engine is extremely noticeable at regular speeds. It does have less body roll than the GR86, it is also a lot stiffer and "slammy" on imperfect roads. Whereas the GR managed to be stiffer than the 1st gen, but also much more comfortable. The Supra was built to look straight ahead and drive as fast as possible. Visibility is just garbage besides anything ahead of you. It is a very fast and aggressive engine/trans combination that you just can't drive casually. Unless you like putting around, shifting thru 8 gears at 2000rpm as soon as you feel the boost come on. You can't casually rev it out.

When someone asks if the GR is a supra, or what GR is, the simple way i explain it is the GR Supra is the race car, 86 the drift car and the hatches the rally cars.
Most of this makes no sense. Both cars are capable in their own right, they have different demographics for the most part. You say you would rather have the Supra on track, but then say "The Supra was built to look straight ahead and drive as fast as possible." Never driven on track before have you?
WolfpackS2k (10-05-2022)
Old 09-22-2022, 12:31 PM   #51
dragoontwo

Drives: 22 BRZ limited
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoHaveMSG View Post
Most of this makes no sense. Both cars are capable in their own right, they have different demographics for the most part. You say you would rather have the Supra on track, but then say "The Supra was built to look straight ahead and drive as fast as possible." Never driven on track before have you?
He's just an Italian driver.
dragoontwo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to dragoontwo For This Useful Post:
NoHaveMSG (09-22-2022)
Old 09-22-2022, 12:44 PM   #52
Tcoat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dadhawk View Post
Well, they use the name anyway. I'm not sure you can say they actually use a Camry.
EXACTLY!
Dadhawk (09-22-2022)
Old 09-22-2022, 01:11 PM   #53
Rustyoid

Quote:
No, but i have driven the Supra enough to form an opinion which I thought I'd share considering people are debating if its a sports or a GT car. Was it wrong to use the 86 as a point of reference on the 86 forums? My thought is how can the supra be considered a GT car when it is more aggressive than the 86 which is an entry level sports car. Obviously they are for different demographics. I like hearing the opinions of others with more experience. If you don't want to add anything why don't you fuck off with the elitist attitude.
Old 09-22-2022, 01:19 PM   #54
NoHaveMSG

Drives: Crapcan
Thanked 16,254 Times in 7,347 Posts
Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustyoid View Post
No, but i have driven the Supra enough to form an opinion which I thought I'd share considering people are debating if its a sports or a GT car. Was it wrong to use the 86 as a point of reference on the 86 forums? My thought is how can the supra be considered a GT car when it is more aggressive than the 86 which is an entry level sports car. Obviously they are for different demographics. I like hearing the opinions of others with more experience. If you don't want to add anything why don't you fuck off with the elitist attitude.
Questioning your opinion makes me elitist, got it
OkieSnuffBox (09-25-2022)
Old 09-22-2022, 01:40 PM   #55
Rustyoid

Quote:
Questioning your opinion makes me elitist, got it
no, degrading someone's opinion because of lack of experience, instead of offering a counterpoint in good faith based on your own greater experience does.

Did you misunderstand "look straight ahead" for "drive straight ahead"? It was a very general statement, and I referenced visibility after which I think is an important aspect of comfort if you're going on a "grand tour"

I really don't understand why you have to come out like this and offer nothing of discussion. I've never even interacted with you before.
Old 09-22-2022, 01:59 PM   #56
Sasquachulator
Pavement Grey

Drives: 2020 Toyota 86 GT, 2017 BMW X1
Thanked 2,220 Times in 1,203 Posts
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dadhawk View Post
NASCAR is just a production car image/decal painted onto a universal NASCAR bodyshell and chassis. I think the only real differentiation is the engines used are specifically made by each manufacturer.

None of the NASCAR machines are based on cars used in production, Just its likeness. And for Toyota they had no V8 Toyota nameplate, the sportiest thing at the time they entered NASCAR was the Camry so they used that lol. Corolla was a wimpy econobox, and the Avalon was and old geezer mobile. Cressida had long been dead and Crown, Century, MarkX, etc were only JDM nameplates. And i dont think they wanted Lexus associated the the "Murican heart and soul" NASCAR as they were battling the germans in the luxury tier.

Heck didnt they show off a NASCAR Supra around the time the Supra was revealed?
Sasquachulator is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Sasquachulator For This Useful Post:
Dadhawk (09-22-2022)