follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > FT86CLUB Shared Forum > Member's Car Journals

Member's Car Journals Car journals by our members.

User Tag List

Old 08-02-2022, 02:19 PM   #15
villainous_frx
Off to the track!

Drives: '14 Lava 86, '13 WRB BRZ
Thanked 1,134 Times in 457 Posts
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Nice progress so far, definitely following!
Quote:
Originally Posted by X25 View Post
Why is Subaru painting bolts?
On the gen1 cars they also painted a crush washer to the drain bolt, so be sure to check next oil change to see if it is the same for the gen2 cars.
Old 08-02-2022, 02:53 PM   #16
KillerBMotorsport

Drives: BRZ
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Very nice. Following!
KillerBMotorsport is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to KillerBMotorsport For This Useful Post:
X25 (08-06-2022)
Old 08-03-2022, 10:33 PM   #17
X25
Sr. Spiritual Advisor

Drives: 2023 BRZ Premium
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Got the first alignment done (@200 miles)
Finally got the first alignment done.

Rear UCAs complicate the alignment a little bit due to clearance issues, but it's not too bad.

At stock height, this is all we could get. Since the track I'll be at is CCW, I suppose -2.5 will be put to use : P

Front pads look nice and thick. The bite does not feel high at all, but I have not bedded in pads anyway, so it might improve at the track.

How -2.5 camber looks like. Looking forward to what we can do with the coilovers and camber plates...

'19 Corvette Z06 Z07 (Track Build Thread)
X25 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to X25 For This Useful Post:
villainous_frx (08-03-2022)
Old 08-06-2022, 05:07 AM   #18
X25
Sr. Spiritual Advisor

I had my first outing at the track, but it was very short.

2 laps in, the pedal went to the floor, and I cut the day short for safety. I for possible leaks, etc., but all was good. Looks like there was still a bit of air trapped in the new calipers. I re-bled all calipers with plenty of fluid, and tested the brakes by doing back to back stops on a freeway close to home to see if the brakes would still act up. They performed well, so hopefully this issue is resolved. I will be at another track next Friday, and hoping to test the car out more : )

Until I receive the harness bar, I thought this location would work, but it seems to be too far back. Following @glamcem's advice, I ordered seat headrest post mount (link).

Back home, I realized one of the rear UCAs' adjustment has moved. I really don't like the luck nuts' design on this, since they are too close and thin, and make it hard to get them really tight.

I think these flat(thin) wrenches would help.

Really impressed by the design of OEM 17" wheels; very stylish and they provide ample clearance.

I'll try out the car next on Aug 12th, and will likely start installing the race seats and coilovers in September. There's a time attack event on Sep 24, but I'm sure I'd rather want to use the Corvette for it : )
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to X25 For This Useful Post:
DarkSunrise (08-06-2022), gcmak (08-07-2022), glamcem (08-07-2022)
Old 08-06-2022, 05:18 AM   #19
X25
Sr. Spiritual Advisor

Quote:
Originally Posted by villainous_frx View Post
Nice progress so far, definitely following!

On the gen1 cars they also painted a crush washer to the drain bolt, so be sure to check next oil change to see if it is the same for the gen2 cars.
I think it's the same. Didn't look carefully, but it certainly didn't leak and sealed well...
villainous_frx (08-06-2022)
Old 08-06-2022, 03:00 PM   #20
autosenses

Drives: 22 Raven 86, 19 STI, 15MK7 SE daily
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
So unfortunate you had break issues. Looking forward to the progress! I'm also thinking about getting Azenis rt615k+ for my OEM base wheels. Nice job!
Old 08-11-2022, 02:16 AM   #21
X25
Sr. Spiritual Advisor

Ready for ORP (Oregon Raceway Park)!! Unlike the other events, I will be attending an ORP club day, which allows me to use the open track for as long as I want except for the lunch break. I'm hoping this would be a great opportunity to get used to the clutch, etc. as well, since I need to learn how much I should blip in downshifts on this car. During my play at the street (which is hard to do without heavy braking), it gets oddly satisfying when the blip is just right, and shift happens with zero resistance. Anyway..

Forgot these in the trunk... 2.7 lbs for compressor

6.1 lbs for prehistoric tire tools

1.3 lbs for the case. I like it, so I decided to keep this one..

Also, just realized I needed a tow hook to winch the car onto the trailer. OEM unit is actually not very heavy. Nevertheless, I ordered Perrin's tow hook in black color. I'd really want to have cloth, but have not found something good for front fitment.

This thing is so tiny! Corvette has about an inch of clearance on both sides when loaded.

Until I figure out the roll/harness bar issue, I'll use this mount.

This is how it will hopefully look like. I will need to play with smoothness and EV settings since I just switched to GoPro 10, and not sure about optimal settings, yet. One bummer is that the spot metering (Exposure control) can only be done from the camera's screen, which is not easy to access from the mount's location.

Besides these, I'll also be camping in my hybrid truck, which I'll keep running (it provides HVAC and 7200 Watts of max power, and only runs the engine for a minute every 20+ minutes or so; amazing perks). Looking forward to watching videos/movies with 10+ speakers of the truck; better than my lviing room for sure : P
villainous_frx (08-12-2022)
Old 08-11-2022, 11:52 AM   #22
gcmak

Drives: GR86
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
This is how it will hopefully look like. I will need to play with smoothness and EV settings since I just switched to GoPro 10, and not sure about optimal settings, yet. One bummer is that the spot metering (Exposure control) can only be done from the camera's screen, which is not easy to access from the mount's location.
That mount, for me, over time became loose between the outer and inner tube and caused excess wobble. There's probably some hack I could do to help with that but I've changed mounts. For the Hero10 - I use the same - you can set the EV in the app or on the camera and use the profiles to save you preferred settings. I set mine to -0.7 EV and let it ride.

My issue with the Hero10, is it would like to freeze when charging while the camera is 'off' and would refuse to turn on unless I pulled the battery.
gcmak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2022, 12:46 PM   #23
X25
Sr. Spiritual Advisor

My other cam is DJI Action cam, which works great actually, but its app, which I need for spot metering, needs to be side loaded on Android. Since it forces you to skip app store, it could have a malware, and you'd never know. This is even a violation of my company policies, since I'm not supposed to side load stuff on a phone where I have Corp access as well, so I removed it.

Back to GoPro, freezing is not good. Here's hoping this one doesn't do it. Did you try updating the firmware in case that fixes it for you? It also doesn't let me control the camera when I want charge using car's USB since it establishes data connection.

I prefer exposure control (spot metering), but perhaps I might as well settle with EV, since it'd also make it more consistent. Another issue I've had with GoPro cameras was that the video frame pans towards the outside direction of long turns. I searched up, and they say it's a normal side effect of image stabilization, yet DJI is smart enough to not do that(!). I'm planning to play between stabilization settings as well. In the worst case, I can always stabilize it on my PC during processing.

Last edited by X25; 08-11-2022 at 01:02 PM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to X25 For This Useful Post:
gcmak (08-14-2022), glamcem (08-11-2022)
Old 08-11-2022, 03:41 PM   #24
glamcem

Drives: 2022 BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Car's looking good..you don't waste any time haha.. I've had mine for months but didn't even go to a track day or installed my coilovers yet and now the heat here in SoCal I think it'll be best if I wait till September
I wish I could go to the ORP with you again, I'll miss that
glamcem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2022, 01:35 AM   #25
X25
Sr. Spiritual Advisor

Quote:
Originally Posted by glamcem View Post
Car's looking good..you don't waste any time haha.. I've had mine for months but didn't even go to a track day or installed my coilovers yet and now the heat here in SoCal I think it'll be best if I wait till September
I wish I could go to the ORP with you again, I'll miss that
Would be great to duke it out with similar cars! Oh well, keep us posted how it goes with your car in SoCal : )

Made a quick test with EV settings, and well I don't think it was meaningful at all : P

One thing it seems to have been useful for is how much camera pans the outer direction during a turn. I should try lesser stabilization settings, and perhaps just turn it off, and stabilize it myself.

Looks like there will be only 6 or so cars tomorrow! I should have all the time I'd need to feel this new car..
gcmak (08-14-2022), glamcem (08-16-2022)
Old 08-13-2022, 04:39 AM   #26
X25
Sr. Spiritual Advisor

Finally had a few sessions, and got to learn about the car.MY best lap was 2:05 at 86 degrees F, and did a few more 2:05s later afternoon as well at 93+ degrees F. I'm guessing I can go lower even in this stock form, but next time I'll likely have the coilovers.

Here is the best lap of the day:

A few remarks
  • Steering wheels locks up a bit in a few areas of the track where there's huge compression. I'm guessing a sway bar could help, but feels like the stock suspension is bottoming out.
  • The hardest thing for me was to concentrate on shifting while fighting to stay on the seat. My helmet was also very close to the roof, and I had to recline a bit to give more headroom. Installing the racing seats should help with this issue.
  • Overall, I was pleased that the high temps were not completely killing the car's performance. I guess I'll always wonder how good stock could to in cold temps; I'll likely have the coilovers next time.
  • I played with the image stabilization settings, and found that all of them create huge panning effect. I turned it off and stabilized it post video, but this takes more time than it should. I'll likely re-enable it next time and cry faul to GoPro community : )
  • This car has great turn in characteristics, and I found myself going full throttle at wrong places with no issues. Part of it might be that I might be over-slowing, but lack of decent power definitely makes this car so easy to drive. I had no issues developing confidence, even in stock form with boat-like lean at times.

I'll have a few weeks of hiatus while we have our overseas vacation, and will get back to installing the coilovers and seats when I'm back. I'd probably have the half roll-cage from Titan motorsports as well by then, and looking forward to seeing if it fits!
NoHaveMSG (08-14-2022), villainous_frx (08-14-2022)
Old 08-13-2022, 05:09 PM   #27
X25
Sr. Spiritual Advisor

... and here's the video comparing ReelSteady (GoPro's software that costs $99) vs. DaVinci Resolve (free for non-professionals) on post recording stabilization of the very same video:

gcmak (08-14-2022), villainous_frx (08-14-2022)
Old 08-13-2022, 06:59 PM   #28
Powersfrs

Drives: Frs
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Finally had a few sessions, and got to learn about the car.MY best lap was 2:05 at 86 degrees F, and did a few more 2:05s later afternoon as well at 93+ degrees F. I'm guessing I can go lower even in this stock form, but next time I'll likely have the coilovers.

Here is the best lap of the day:

A few remarks
  • Steering wheels locks up a bit in a few areas of the track where there's huge compression. I'm guessing a sway bar could help, but feels like the stock suspension is bottoming out.
  • The hardest thing for me was to concentrate on shifting while fighting to stay on the seat. My helmet was also very close to the roof, and I had to recline a bit to give more headroom. Installing the racing seats should help with this issue.
  • Overall, I was pleased that the high temps were not completely killing the car's performance. I guess I'll always wonder how good stock could to in cold temps; I'll likely have the coilovers next time.
  • I played with the image stabilization settings, and found that all of them create huge panning effect. I turned it off and stabilized it post video, but this takes more time than it should. I'll likely re-enable it next time and cry faul to GoPro community : )
  • This car has great turn in characteristics, and I found myself going full throttle at wrong places with no issues. Part of it might be that I might be over-slowing, but lack of decent power definitely makes this car so easy to drive. I had no issues developing confidence, even in stock form with boat-like lean at times.

I'll have a few weeks of hiatus while we have our overseas vacation, and will get back to installing the coilovers and seats when I'm back. I'd probably have the half roll-cage from Titan motorsports as well by then, and looking forward to seeing if it fits!

I feel the steering lock up on my local canyon as well. What causes it? I’m not rubbing I’ve checked. I’m running 265 falken 615k+. I’m running kw v3.