follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
86WORX
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing

Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing Relating to suspension, chassis, and brakes. Sponsored by 949 Racing.


User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 09-13-2013, 07:45 PM   #1
Hags86
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Drives: Toyota GTS 86
Location: Melbourne Australia
Posts: 243
Thanks: 21
Thanked 118 Times in 65 Posts
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
No squeal pads for AP Racing Essex Sprint Kit

Hi Everyone

I'm after a recommended front pad for daily driving on the Essex AP Racing Sprint Kit (Caliper CP8350).

I currently have Ferodo DS2500 and they squeal pretty badly a low speeds. I drive 30km to work each day, the last 5 kms in stop-start traffic and the noise shits me to tears.

I'm aware that a good transfer layer fixes this. Unfortunately I just can't do this on public roads. I can't get enough heat into them to get a proper transfer layer. After a track day I have a great transfer layer and the brakes are completely silent. But after 4-5 days the transfer layer wears off and the squeal comes back.

My requirements for the DD pads are zero squeal and low dust. I'm not worried about bite, temperature or anything else of a performance nature as I have the DS2500 and a set of DS1.11 which I use on the track.

Thanks
Hags86 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hags86 For This Useful Post:
Anthony (09-15-2013), Tristor (04-28-2018)
Old 09-14-2013, 01:53 AM   #2
Dezoris
Senior Member
 
Dezoris's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Drives: FR-S
Location: IL
Posts: 2,857
Thanks: 519
Thanked 2,997 Times in 1,095 Posts
Mentioned: 159 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Thanks for the post. My ds2500s sound like 20 rusty swingsets. Cannot keep a transfer layer got cold tonight 50 degrees and it was just unreal how loud they are.

Switching to Carbotech 1521 Bobcats. Just ordered last week from CSG. Dont have installed yet but this promises to be a true silent street pad. Mike can you comment on the 1521s for him? @CSG Mike
__________________
Dezoris is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Dezoris For This Useful Post:
Anthony (09-15-2013), Hags86 (09-15-2013), Tristor (05-06-2018)
Old 09-14-2013, 01:24 PM   #3
PSJohnDoe
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S
Location: CA
Posts: 131
Thanks: 19
Thanked 27 Times in 22 Posts
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
I have the same concerns and am getting the same brakes. The ones that were recommended to me were the Hawk HSP. I'll try to remember to respond back to this thread after I've used them for a while. How long did it take for your brakes to tart squealing?
PSJohnDoe is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to PSJohnDoe For This Useful Post:
Hags86 (09-15-2013)
Old 09-15-2013, 04:56 AM   #4
Hags86
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Drives: Toyota GTS 86
Location: Melbourne Australia
Posts: 243
Thanks: 21
Thanked 118 Times in 65 Posts
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
11 seconds.....
__________________
2013 Toyota 86: 275rwkW
Coyoda Water-to-air Intercooled Turbo with GTX2863. CP Carillo Rods and Pistons. Motec M150 ECU. Motec C125 Dash. Holinger SG 6 Speed Sequential Gearbox. OS Giken LSD. MCA Reds Coilover. AP Racing Essex Sprint Front Brakes. PWR Radiator and Intercooler heat exchanger.
Hags86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 05:05 AM   #5
Anthony
Weight Nazi
 
Anthony's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Drives: 13 FRS -399lb, 11 335is, 05 Tiburon
Location: Biloxi, MS / Gulf Coast 86
Posts: 3,702
Thanks: 5,009
Thanked 3,712 Times in 1,765 Posts
Mentioned: 150 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hags86 View Post
...shits me to tears.
Haha that is a new one to me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hags86 View Post
11 seconds.....
Haha glad you timed this.

I too plan on getting these brakes and was wondering the same thing. Subscribed.
__________________

Build Thread | The Venus Project | Any car which holds together for a whole race is too heavy.
Anthony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 06:28 AM   #6
Hags86
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Drives: Toyota GTS 86
Location: Melbourne Australia
Posts: 243
Thanks: 21
Thanked 118 Times in 65 Posts
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Thanks PSJohn and Dezoris. Please do report back once you have the pads installed. I'm very keen to (not) hear the results.
__________________
2013 Toyota 86: 275rwkW
Coyoda Water-to-air Intercooled Turbo with GTX2863. CP Carillo Rods and Pistons. Motec M150 ECU. Motec C125 Dash. Holinger SG 6 Speed Sequential Gearbox. OS Giken LSD. MCA Reds Coilover. AP Racing Essex Sprint Front Brakes. PWR Radiator and Intercooler heat exchanger.
Hags86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 12:27 PM   #7
PSJohnDoe
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S
Location: CA
Posts: 131
Thanks: 19
Thanked 27 Times in 22 Posts
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Will do, it'll be a while, though. Evasive doesn't stock them, so I have to wait for them to be imported. They told me to expect 2-3 weeks for delivery.
PSJohnDoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 05:18 AM   #8
Anthony
Weight Nazi
 
Anthony's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Drives: 13 FRS -399lb, 11 335is, 05 Tiburon
Location: Biloxi, MS / Gulf Coast 86
Posts: 3,702
Thanks: 5,009
Thanked 3,712 Times in 1,765 Posts
Mentioned: 150 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Another thing I've been wondering, kind of along this same topic...

For track pads that squeal if they're not warmed up, do they also not work as well if they're not warm? I've read a lot of talk about people trying to get their pads to warm up, and I assumed it was for functionality, but is it simply to get the squealing to stop?

My guess would be that warm pads allow you more precise control over the stopping force, since brake fade happens because of heat. Really aggressive pads that are warm might not want to lock up as easily as cool pads, thus giving you pressure sensitive control, as opposed to a more off/on situation that cooler pads would cause. Just a guess...
__________________

Build Thread | The Venus Project | Any car which holds together for a whole race is too heavy.
Anthony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 11:11 AM   #9
CSG Mike
 
CSG Mike's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Drives: S2000 CR
Location: Orange County
Posts: 14,521
Thanks: 8,910
Thanked 14,163 Times in 6,827 Posts
Mentioned: 966 Post(s)
Tagged: 14 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hags86 View Post
Hi Everyone

I'm after a recommended front pad for daily driving on the Essex AP Racing Sprint Kit (Caliper CP8350).

I currently have Ferodo DS2500 and they squeal pretty badly a low speeds. I drive 30km to work each day, the last 5 kms in stop-start traffic and the noise shits me to tears.

I'm aware that a good transfer layer fixes this. Unfortunately I just can't do this on public roads. I can't get enough heat into them to get a proper transfer layer. After a track day I have a great transfer layer and the brakes are completely silent. But after 4-5 days the transfer layer wears off and the squeal comes back.

My requirements for the DD pads are zero squeal and low dust. I'm not worried about bite, temperature or anything else of a performance nature as I have the DS2500 and a set of DS1.11 which I use on the track.

Thanks
We use Carbotech 1521 for strictly street duty with our sprint kit. They'll make zero noise. Send me a PM to order.
CSG Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 11:31 AM   #10
Sportsguy83
I Love custom Turbo kits
 
Sportsguy83's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Drives: Limited BRZ
Location: Miami
Posts: 10,770
Thanks: 20,004
Thanked 8,342 Times in 4,361 Posts
Mentioned: 441 Post(s)
Tagged: 12 Thread(s)
Garage
My DS2500 don't squeak at all unless I've driven them HARD and at that moment its very small squeak right before complete stop.

I applied a GOOD amount of lubricant to the outside surface area when installing and I believe that made the difference.
Sportsguy83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 12:18 PM   #11
CSG Mike
 
CSG Mike's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Drives: S2000 CR
Location: Orange County
Posts: 14,521
Thanks: 8,910
Thanked 14,163 Times in 6,827 Posts
Mentioned: 966 Post(s)
Tagged: 14 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony View Post
Another thing I've been wondering, kind of along this same topic...

For track pads that squeal if they're not warmed up, do they also not work as well if they're not warm? I've read a lot of talk about people trying to get their pads to warm up, and I assumed it was for functionality, but is it simply to get the squealing to stop?

My guess would be that warm pads allow you more precise control over the stopping force, since brake fade happens because of heat. Really aggressive pads that are warm might not want to lock up as easily as cool pads, thus giving you pressure sensitive control, as opposed to a more off/on situation that cooler pads would cause. Just a guess...
Most race pads have a temperature range they work best in, but that range varies by pad.

You'll see 0-1500F for some pads, and 400-1500F for other pads. That doesn't mean that the 400-1500F pad won't work when colder (street driving; first stop). Rather, it means that you're out of the ideal temperature range, and may get unusual wear if you never get into the temp range, or get a lot of noise.

For reference, with the stock calipers, a single full-ABS 60mph-0 stop will take the rotor surfaces to over 800F.
CSG Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CSG Mike For This Useful Post:
Anthony (09-18-2013)
Old 09-16-2013, 12:19 PM   #12
CSG Mike
 
CSG Mike's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Drives: S2000 CR
Location: Orange County
Posts: 14,521
Thanks: 8,910
Thanked 14,163 Times in 6,827 Posts
Mentioned: 966 Post(s)
Tagged: 14 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sportsguy83 View Post
My DS2500 don't squeak at all unless I've driven them HARD and at that moment its very small squeak right before complete stop.

I applied a GOOD amount of lubricant to the outside surface area when installing and I believe that made the difference.
DS2500 on stock calipers make zero noise. They do make noise on the AP Racing Sprint kit; every owner I've met that uses the DS2500 seems to have noise of some sort for street use.
CSG Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CSG Mike For This Useful Post:
Sportsguy83 (09-16-2013)
Old 09-18-2013, 08:46 AM   #13
PSJohnDoe
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S
Location: CA
Posts: 131
Thanks: 19
Thanked 27 Times in 22 Posts
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
I switched my order to CarboTech 1521 bobcats, I won't be able to tell you about the Hawk HPS pads. Install of my RPF1s, Pilot Super Sports, and Essex Sprint tentatively scheduled for 10/3. I should be able to follow up with some info after the 14th when I've got some time using everything together.

Last edited by PSJohnDoe; 09-25-2013 at 11:56 PM.
PSJohnDoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 09:42 PM   #14
Paragon
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSG Mike View Post
We use Carbotech 1521 for strictly street duty with our sprint kit. They'll make zero noise. Send me a PM to order.
hi do you know the heatrange for these pads?
  Reply With Quote
 
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Essex Sprint Pads. C300 and RC6E Captain Snooze Brakes, Suspension, Chassis 1 11-20-2013 08:30 PM
AP Racing CP8350 (Essex Sprint kit) vs Stoptech ST40 Comparison CSG Mike Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing 1 05-17-2013 04:41 AM
This is how much we like our AP Racing/Essex "Sprint" BBK... CSG Mike Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing 4 05-06-2013 12:30 PM
Help Gmookher decide AP racing Vs Stoptech BBK vs Essex SPRINT KIT gmookher Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing 141 01-18-2013 08:39 PM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 09:59 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2024, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging v3.3.0 (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2024 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

Garage vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.