follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB

Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB Problems, issues, recalls, TSBs

User Tag List

Old 06-29-2018, 12:05 PM   #43
ermax

Drives: 2022 BRZ Limited Silver
Thanked 2,045 Times in 1,188 Posts
Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by shaynek View Post
we 13 owners need to file for a class action law suite against Toyota/Subaru lol. they sell garbage to customers and try to deny warranty. I personally would never buy another garbage from Subaru/Toyota
Read the "Hint" on this page from the service manual:
https://demos.starbase7.net/t3Portal...44588675128151

They are saying this engine consumes oil at 1US QT every 2000 miles. This info should be in the owner's manual that comes with the car. Not the shop manual that the average person will never see. This tidbit in itself is class actionable IMO. 1qt every 2000 miles is what most manufacturers would consider excessive.. not normal. How many modern cars require at least 2 top offs between oil change intervals... hell how many cars require any top offs at all between changes? I got my car used, changed the oil on day one and only put about 4000 miles on it before spinning a bearing. during that 4000 miles I did top it off a few times (1/4qt each time) which I just attributed to the age of my car until I read that crap in the service manual. We are car guys so we are the type that will check our oil all the time. Your average person will not check their oil level regularly. They will just change the oil at the recommended interval and call it a day. I always thought it was odd that the change interval was so short on this car considering it requires synthetic. Most modern cars with synthetic have a 10k+ interval. For example BMW says 15K. They knew this car drank oil so they gave it a short interval. I'm surprised these cars don't blow purple smoke with this level of consumption.

Long story short I wouldn't be surprised if the majority of the failures are do to the consumption problem. I got my car used and I'm just going to cross my fingers that mine spun due to neglect from the previous owner. I hope that when I finish rebuilding mine that it will be okay in the long run because I check my level regularly. But I still think Subaru/Toyota needs to be more upfront about the consumption being so high. If they were more upfront they wouldn't be able to sell the cars though. 1qt/2000mi is a joke.
ermax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2018, 12:22 PM   #44
max20s14

Drives: 14' Raven M/T - 02' is300
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ermax View Post
Read the "Hint" on this page from the service manual:
https://demos.starbase7.net/t3Portal...44588675128151

They are saying this engine consumes oil at 1US QT every 2000 miles. This info should be in the owner's manual that comes with the car. Not the shop manual that the average person will never see. This tidbit in itself is class actionable IMO. 1qt every 2000 miles is what most manufacturers would consider excessive.. not normal. How many modern cars require at least 2 top offs between oil change intervals... hell how many cars require any top offs at all between changes? I got my car used, changed the oil on day one and only put about 4000 miles on it before spinning a bearing. during that 4000 miles I did top it off a few times (1/4qt each time) which I just attributed to the age of my car until I read that crap in the service manual. We are car guys so we are the type that will check our oil all the time. Your average person will not check their oil level regularly. They will just change the oil at the recommended interval and call it a day. I always thought it was odd that the change interval was so short on this car considering it requires synthetic. Most modern cars with synthetic have a 10k+ interval. For example BMW says 15K. They knew this car drank oil so they gave it a short interval. I'm surprised these cars don't blow purple smoke with this level of consumption.

Long story short I wouldn't be surprised if the majority of the failures are do to the consumption problem. I got my car used and I'm just going to cross my fingers that mine spun due to neglect from the previous owner. I hope that when I finish rebuilding mine that it will be okay in the long run because I check my level regularly. But I still think Subaru/Toyota needs to be more upfront about the consumption being so high. If they were more upfront they wouldn't be able to sell the cars though. 1qt/2000mi is a joke.
Mine seems to not consume any oil between changes? 2014 6k intervals 0w30
max20s14 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to max20s14 For This Useful Post:
ermax (06-29-2018)
Old 06-29-2018, 12:34 PM   #45
ermax

Quote:
Originally Posted by max20s14 View Post
Mine seems to not consume any oil between changes? 2014 6k intervals 0w30
Mine didn't consume at the rate of 1qt/2000mi either but I'm running 5w30. I suspect the recommended 0w20 would have consumed more.
Old 06-29-2018, 12:42 PM   #46
strat61caster
-

Drives: '13 FRS - STX
Thanked 9,469 Times in 4,992 Posts
Mentioned: 94 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quote:
They are saying this engine consumes oil at 1US QT every 2000 miles. This info should be in the owner's manual that comes with the car. Not the shop manual that the average person will never see. This tidbit in itself is class actionable IMO. 1qt every 2000 miles is what most manufacturers would consider excessive.. not normal. How many modern cars require at least 2 top offs between oil change intervals...
Page 244 of my Scion FR-S owner's manual states that 1.1 qt. of oil consumption per 600 miles is acceptable.

PDF here:
https://www.toyota.com/owners/resour...uals/fr-s/2013

So to answer your question, Subaru, Subaru may require two oil top offs between intervals, technically they're ok with you having to add a quart 10x per interval.

I generally add about half a quart that's leftover from the previous change at 6k miles just to bring it up from near the low mark. That probably wouldn't be necessary if I filled it to the tippy-top though, unless filling it makes it burn faster
strat61caster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2018, 12:47 PM   #47
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,283 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2494 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
Mine didn't consume at the rate of 1qt/2000mi either but I'm running 5w30. I suspect the recommended 0w20 would have consumed more.
120,000 miles. Running 0w20. Stretch oil changes until the very last possible mile. Have never once seen the level drop below where it was filled to.
You need many instances to have a class action. There just are not enough.
Sure as hell can't have one on a condition written in the manual that nobody has ever even reported seeing happen.
There is no reported "consumption problem" and even if there was if people check their oil it should never be low enough to cause failure.
Some early cars had oil delivery issues and fail it is as simple as that. They seem to have corrected the problem since 14s and up have an insignificant number of failures if not messed with.
Old 06-29-2018, 01:06 PM   #48
ermax

Quote:
Originally Posted by strat61caster View Post
Page 244 of my Scion FR-S owner's manual states that 1.1 qt. of oil consumption per 600 miles is acceptable.

PDF here:
https://www.toyota.com/owners/resour...uals/fr-s/2013

So to answer your question, Subaru, Subaru may require two oil top offs between intervals, technically they're ok with you having to add a quart 10x per interval.

I generally add about half a quart that's leftover from the previous change at 6k miles just to bring it up from near the low mark. That probably wouldn't be necessary if I filled it to the tippy-top though, unless filling it makes it burn faster
Thanks for pointing that out. My car was missing the manual so I downloaded the PDF and was specifically looking for info on consumption. I swore I even searched the manual for the word "consumption" and missed that blurb on page 244. So Toyota does make it known in the regular manual. Wow, 1gt/600mi. Crazy stuff right there. At that rate your average college girl will go through every last drop of oil on their extended change intervals. Hahaha
Old 06-29-2018, 01:43 PM   #49
highway7

Drives: FRS 2013
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
When I saw the manual say consumption of up to 1L of oil every 1000km is considered within spec I was definitely concerned.

However, for my engine it seems to burn 'excess' oil until it reaches 3/4 full between max and min on the dipstick and stops burning oil completely. When I drain the oil after 10k km it's usually 5.4L +/- 100mL (I use old windshield washer fluid jugs with measurements on the side to check)

2013 build date 07/13, 135 000 km now. Use OEM filter and Toyota 0W20
highway7 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to highway7 For This Useful Post:
strat61caster (06-29-2018)
Old 06-29-2018, 01:58 PM   #50
NoHaveMSG

Drives: Crapcan
Thanked 16,206 Times in 7,319 Posts
Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Garage
Everytime I see a thread like this I cringe since I have a 13' as well. Good luck OP. I have a spare motor for a reason.

Has anyone actually seen oil consumption of those levels? I am at about 66k miles, I have tracked my car 4 times since the last oil change. Level has not moved at all. My RL is also set at 7650. Makes me question the need for catch cans on this car.
NoHaveMSG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2018, 02:22 PM   #51
ermax

Quote:
Originally Posted by highway7 View Post
However, for my engine it seems to burn 'excess' oil until it reaches 3/4 full between max and min on the dipstick and stops burning oil completely.
When you say 3/4 full do you mean 3/4 between the top and bottom dot as in 1/4qt low?
Old 06-29-2018, 02:29 PM   #52
strat61caster
-

Drives: '13 FRS - STX
Thanked 9,469 Times in 4,992 Posts
Mentioned: 94 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quote:
When you say 3/4 full do you mean 3/4 between the top and bottom dot as in 1/4qt low?
Two things.

1. Yes you understood what he said correctly "3/4 full between max and min on the dipstick"
2. While the high mark is labeled as 'full' please re-read the manual, you are supposed to maintain oil between the two marks, you are not instructed to maintain the oil level at the higher mark.

"If the oil level is below or near
the low level mark, add engine
oil of the same type as already in
the engine."

That's it, there's no 'fill to top line' or 'maintain above 50% between the marks' it is very specifically 'keep the level above the low mark'

Also:

"Avoid overfilling, or the engine could be damaged."
strat61caster is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to strat61caster For This Useful Post:
Tcoat (06-29-2018)
Old 06-29-2018, 03:09 PM   #53
ermax

Traditionally the top dot is full and the lower dot is 1qt low. Anything between is considered safe, anything above or below is unsafe. It's the same deal with all cars.
Old 06-29-2018, 03:11 PM   #54
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,283 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2494 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
Thanks for pointing that out. My car was missing the manual so I downloaded the PDF and was specifically looking for info on consumption. I swore I even searched the manual for the word "consumption" and missed that blurb on page 244. So Toyota does make it known in the regular manual. Wow, 1gt/600mi. Crazy stuff right there. At that rate your average college girl will go through every last drop of oil on their extended change intervals. Hahaha
It is a max number not a "will use" number. If you are actually going through that much you will either plug up a cat or have a nice trail of smoke.

You hammer on the car and it uses more oil. Strange how that happens.
Engine oil consumption
●The amount of engine oil consumed depends on the oil viscosity, the
quality of the oil and the way the vehicle is driven.
More oil is consumed under driving conditions such as high speeds and
frequent acceleration and deceleration
●A new engine consumes more oil.
●When judging the amount of oil consumption, keep in mind that the oil
may have become diluted, making it difficult to judge the true level accurately.
Old 06-29-2018, 03:29 PM   #55
ermax

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
It is a max number not a "will use" number. If you are actually going through that much you will either plug up a cat or have a nice trail of smoke.

You hammer on the car and it uses more oil. Strange how that happens.
Engine oil consumption
●The amount of engine oil consumed depends on the oil viscosity, the
quality of the oil and the way the vehicle is driven.
More oil is consumed under driving conditions such as high speeds and
frequent acceleration and deceleration
●A new engine consumes more oil.
●When judging the amount of oil consumption, keep in mind that the oil
may have become diluted, making it difficult to judge the true level accurately.
Yeah read all that, same verbiage in every car manual. True it does say 1qt/600mi is max but also notice is says if it consumes MORE than 1qt/600mi then you need to contact the dealer. As if 1qt/600mi is the max that is "acceptable". IMO 1qt/2000mi is enough to contact the dealer much less MORE than 1qt/600mi. It's the verbiage in the service manual that really caught my eye though. It's worded poorly but sort of makes it sound like you should expect it to burn 1qt/2000mi as if that is normal. What is odd is the service manual doesn't even specify what they consider to be max consumption.
Old 06-29-2018, 03:50 PM   #56
Clipdat
Proud of BOXER

Drives: Subaru Boxer
Thanked 6,845 Times in 3,675 Posts
Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
This is why it's so important to regularly check your oil levels with this car. I believe a lot of people don't realize how much oil they consume.

I check mine regularly and add a half quart if the oil level is at or below the mid way/50% point on the dipstick.

Quote:
Yeah read all that, same verbiage in every car manual. True it does say 1qt/600mi is max but also notice is says if it consumes MORE than 1qt/600mi then you need to contact the dealer. As if 1qt/600mi is the max that is "acceptable". IMO 1qt/2000mi is enough to contact the dealer much less MORE than 1qt/600mi. It's the verbiage in the service manual that really caught my eye though. It's worded poorly but sort of makes it sound like you should expect it to burn 1qt/2000mi as if that is normal. What is odd is the service manual doesn't even specify what they consider to be max consumption.

Quote:
Originally Posted by humfrz
I'm old and lazy
Clipdat is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Clipdat For This Useful Post:
ermax (06-29-2018), thomasmryan (07-06-2018)