follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum

Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum The place to start for the Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 | GT86

User Tag List

Old 05-05-2011, 02:26 PM   #1
kawazydude

Drives: ask me again in 2012!
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
FastLaneDaily talks about Scion's FRS

Today, FLD came out with an entire episode on the FRS and how it's branded as a Scion instead of a Toyota. They pretty much agree with most people on this forum who dislike the FRS' branding as a Scion and believe it should've been a Toyota. They even said if they bought the car, they'd debadge it immediately (which I'd do for sure, haha).

Check it out:
kawazydude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 02:40 PM   #2
blur
ლ(ಠ益ಠ)ლ

Drives: E36 5.7 V8
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Attract the younger generation with the FRS? WTF is he smokin?
Old 05-05-2011, 03:33 PM   #3
GenkiElite

Drives: 91 Corolla (dd) S14 (daily drifter)
These guys are dip-shit brand snobs. I don't care if it says Scion or Toyota. It's the same care either way. Performance and price are the only valid variables.
GenkiElite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 03:42 PM   #4
Giccin
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Drives: Yaris HBK, Audi 09' TTS<Had>
Thanked 1,899 Times in 966 Posts
Mentioned: 87 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by GenkiElite View Post
These guys are dip-shit brand snobs. I don't care if it says Scion or Toyota. It's the same care either way. Performance and price are the only valid variables.

I wouldn't necessarily say 'brand snobs' but more of a.. "I don't want that kind of image that car gives" kinda deal, but then again there are some that can completely prove the Scion image wrong; however, its already tough as it as with the negative stereotype scion has and the people who are reinforcing it.

Logic > Emotion
┬──┬◡ノ(° -°ノ)
Yashio Factory Pink adds +10HP to anything.
TOYOTA FT-86
Giccin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 03:56 PM   #5
GenkiElite

Drives: 91 Corolla (dd) S14 (daily drifter)
Perhaps image is the correct term but it's not something that concerns me I want the car because I believe it will be fun to drive and thats it. The only person I want to make happy is myself.
GenkiElite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 04:36 PM   #6
Random_Art
professional smartass

Drives: 16 speed mountain bike...
Personally, I don't care what badge the car has. Scion does have a bit of a derpy brand image, but I prefer their sales process. I'm terrible at negotiating and I hate haggling over price. So, I would be happy if this thing comes out as a Scion so I can get a "no-bullshit" price without having to sit haggling with the sales guy for a few hours.

Goodbye Celica, you served me well.

http://artsofrandomness.blogspot.com/
Random_Art is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 04:54 PM   #7
Ryuu0u
(=^・ェ・^=)

Drives: 2013 FRS, '08 GSXR 600
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Although I dont care much for it being a scion or toyota since its the same car either way It makes me wonder what will happen if scion does not recover with the FR-S and scion gets canned what will happen to the future of a toyota sports car? Will they save the FR-S and put it under toyota along with some scion models or will it they disappear from the US market?
Ryuu0u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 04:54 PM   #8
VenomRush
Thee O-ri-gi-na-tor

Drives: 2013 FR-S
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
well this car is definately going to change the image of scion brand...
VenomRush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 05:10 PM   #9
RRnold
2 wheel member

Drives: JZA80, 997.1, Taco
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
I couldn't agree any more and wonder if either one of them are possibly lurking on this forum as we speak.

Using this car to save Scion=bad marking decision.
Old 05-05-2011, 07:40 PM   #10
Matador
hashiryu

Drives: Mk4 Supra
It's kinda like the thing that most people that drive BMWs are cocks.
Matador is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 07:45 PM   #11
serialk11r

Drives: '06 AM V8V Coupe
Thanked 1,074 Times in 759 Posts
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
lol got cut off by a 750Li driver just an hour ago.
serialk11r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 07:50 PM   #12
zigzagz94
BRZerhood Lurker #13

Drives: 15 DGM BRZ Premium
Quote:
Originally Posted by MatadorRacing_F1 View Post
It's kinda like the thing that most people that drive BMWs are cocks.
A lot of the BMW owners that I've met are alright but it's all the douchebags leasing bimmers they really can't afford that suck at life.
zigzagz94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 09:05 PM   #13
poormans_LFA
FT86Club.com O.G.

Drives: Gunmetal Gundam Wing Zero Custom
Personally, I think Scion as a brand is too far down deep in the hole to ever really make a come back. I'm not sure I see the FR-S as a car getting people to come back into the Scion fold and buy XA's and XB's simply because of the demographic- way too fickle. Scion worked when it first launched because it was an exciting brand that sold blank automotive canvas's to individuals big on automotive personalization- who also at the time had the $$$ to spend doing crazy stuff to their cars.

With the second generation of cars a whole generation has come and gone and frankly the designs don't yield the same blandness to stir the excitement of going crazy customizing your Scion. There are a lot of people that don't have the funds to spend personalizing their automobile at this end of the market with the new financial ramifications realized after the financial collapse of '08. The new TC looks great as does the FR-S, but other than that the brand has next to no real attention grabbing products, and what does remain can be bought for similar or less money at Toyota. I think it's best the FR-S and TC become incorporated into the Toyota brand with only the Toyota and Lexus brands soldiering on under the Toyota Motor Co umbrella.
poormans_LFA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 09:41 PM   #14
ToyotaObsession

Drives: 2008 XRunner
Quote:
Originally Posted by poormans_LFA View Post
Personally, I think Scion as a brand is too far down deep in the hole to ever really make a come back. I'm not sure I see the FR-S as a car getting people to come back into the Scion fold and buy XA's and XB's simply because of the demographic- way too fickle. Scion worked when it first launched because it was an exciting brand that sold blank automotive canvas's to individuals big on automotive personalization- who also at the time had the $$$ to spend doing crazy stuff to their cars.

With the second generation of cars a whole generation has come and gone and frankly the designs don't yield the same blandness to stir the excitement of going crazy customizing your Scion. There are a lot of people that don't have the funds to spend personalizing their automobile at this end of the market with the new financial ramifications realized after the financial collapse of '08. The new TC looks great as does the FR-S, but other than that the brand has next to no real attention grabbing products, and what does remain can be bought for similar or less money at Toyota. I think it's best the FR-S and TC become incorporated into the Toyota brand with only the Toyota and Lexus brands soldiering on under the Toyota Motor Co umbrella.
I personally don't see what's wrong with the Scion Brand. Sure in certain circles it's looked down upon, but so was Hyundai then they came out with the Genesis. Now people looked at them in a different light.

Last I saw Scion sales were down a little, but weren't that bad. I think it's a matter of perception from people "in the know". But for the vast majority of people a Scion is just a cheaper version of a Toyota.

IMO.
ToyotaObsession is offline   Reply With Quote